Chapter 4

Unbetrothed

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4

 

Dara smoothed her hands over her skirt and straightened her top. ‘You can do this. Fighting!’ she told herself before she knocked on the door of her grandfather’s office and entered. Park Hwangshi was seated at his armchair. On the sofa next to him sat Dara’s parents. They looked up as she entered and Dara smiled as she made her way over, bowed her head, and sat on the chair opposite her parents.

“Welcome home, Sandara,” her grandfather greeted.

“Thank you. Although this visit was unexpected, I’m glad to be able to be here and see you Grandfather, and you too Mom, Dad.”

“How is school, my dear,” Dara’s mother, Jieun, asked. She was a petite, graceful woman with a youthful face, traits that Dara had inherited.

“Its fine,” Dara reported. The four spent a few minutes catching up. Her parents inquiring about her well-being and then her upcoming graduation. Dara informed them of the date, which was a little less than two months away. She didn’t let on that she was already aware of the reason for her being summoned home suddenly.

“I’ll be submitting my resume and application to HR soon,” she said, and looked in particular at her grandfather for his reaction to this news. And as she suspected he would, Park Hwangshi’s mouth formed a line and he cleared his throat and changed the subject.

“I’m sure you must be wondering for the reason that you were called back home on short notice,” her grandfather said. “I’ve spoken with your parents and we are in agreement that it’s time we discuss the matter of your marriage.”

Dara sat calmly, her brows raised innocently. “Marriage? But I have no beau, and I have no plans to marry yet.”

“We’ve already selected a young man that will be your husband. Arrangements have already been made. We will meet with him and his parents tonight.”

“Don't I have any say in this?” Dara asked.

Her grandfather and father remained silent. Her mother was the one to respond, her voice gently imploring.

“Dara, darling, it’s time for you to think about marriage. Your grandfather has spent much effort to make this match. Your father and I have reviewed it and feel that it is a very suitable match.”

“This marriage will take place,” her grandfather interjected, looking directly at Dara, his voice firm.

Dara fought to hold onto her emotions as she continued on calmly. “But I don’t wish to get married. I’ve made it no secret that my desire is to work for…”

“Being the wife of a CEO is not child's play,” her grandfather stated, his voice and stare firm. “In our world the spouse to a CEO and President is also a coveted position. One that only a certain type of woman can properly fill. Your lineage and education more than qualifies you for that position.”

“I've not worked this hard only to be the spouse to a CEO but to work for our family business.” She looked up, her brown eyes meeting her grandfather’s. “Please give me that chance. If you do, then I will agree to this engagement.”

“Dara!” Her mother gasped.

“This is not a negotiation,” her father said, his voice harsh.

Dara raised her gaze finally and unwaveringly looked into her grandfather’s eyes. “My heart’s desire has always been to contribute to our family business. I’ve worked in my schooling to make you proud of me and to prove my ability. You’re aware of my investments and that, if I have to, I have more than enough to be able to live independently of our family…”

“SANDARA!” Her father raised his voice, embarrassed and appalled at his daughter’s words. Dara looked back at him and at her mother, before she gazed again at her grandfather and then she went down on her knees and bowed her head.

“I apologize if this granddaughter is being insolent. That’s not my desire. But please don’t take this dream from me, Grandfather. Please.”

Silence filled the room.

Hwangshi was aware that his granddaughter had a stubborn streak, one that she likely inherited from him. Although he never said it he was proud of her accomplishments, but he also knew the business world could be a cruel place with many temptations. He did not desire that for his precious granddaughter. He knew she had talent and the education to be a top executive, perhaps even CEO. But he also knew his granddaughter was innocent of the ways of the world and had a gentle side to her, one that could be irreparably damaged and lost if he allowed her to pursue her dream to be a top executive for the family business. Marrying Kwon Jung-ju’s grandson and heir would make her the wife of a CEO, a role she had been raised to fill. It would also create a business alliance between two powerful families. Lastly as Kwon Jung-ju had pointed out when he had approached him about this marriage proposal, Dara could provide much needed business advice and guidance as his grandson’s wife. It was this latter part that had made Hwangshi seriously consider Kwon Jiyong as a possible candidate for Dara’s husband.

Looking at his granddaughter kneeling before him now, and seeing the emotions in her eyes, he saw that he needed to make a compromise. Her words, threat really, that she could live independently of her family sparked a sense of pride in him. Perhaps she wasn’t as vulnerable as he thought. Sighing, he nodded.

“Alright. I will give you a change to work for our family business on a trial basis to show me what you're capable of. But in return I want you to marry Kwon, Jiyong.”

A joyous smile broke out on Dara’s face. She stood and went to her grandfather, hugging him tight and thanked him repeatedly. She didn’t care that the price for her dream would be her acceptance to marry Kwon Jiyong. She would deal with that later and find a way out of it. All she needed right now would be a chance to show her grandfather and her parents that they would not regret allowing her to work for the family business.

 

**

 

Jiyong took a deep breath and released it slowly. The time on his watch showed a few more minutes before 7pm. To his side sat his parents and his grandfather on the other side. Any minute now he was expecting Dara and her family to arrive for what would be their betrothal dinner. He still couldn’t believe he was actually going through with this. Neither could he believe that Dara had not pulled out of this engagement either. Well, he thought, there was still a few minutes left before the appointed time. Mentally he crossed his fingers and hoped for a miracle. Maybe she would pull out at the last minute and not show up. But just as he thought that there came a sound at the door and a second later it opened. Jiyong held his breath, hoping it might be the waiter come to bring their drinks. But instead in walked an older man that Jiyong knew had to be Dara’s grandfather. He was followed by a man and woman whom he supposed were her parents. And lastly came in Dara herself.

Jiyong automatically rose to his feet, as did his grandfather and parents. He bowed his head politely as his grandfather extended a welcome to the newcomers. Jiyong straightened and his eyes went straight to the one person he was curious to see… Dara. He blinked and stared at the young woman standing at the seat across the table from him. She was wearing a soft peach colored dress. Her dark hair was pulled back in a loose chignon.

She was beautiful.

That caught him by surprise.

Jiyong heard his name mentioned, snapping his attention back to his grandfather and the exchange of greetings taking place. As the Parks took their seat, Jiyong also sat down. This time he purposely kept his gaze focused on Dara parents and her grandfather and avoided looking at her.  He pretended to pay attention to the pleasantries being exchanged between his parents and grandfather and Dara’s, but his mind was focused on the girl across from him.

He didn’t recall her being so beautiful in high school. But as he thought about it more he realized that the Dara he recalled from school actually was pretty back then too, but he’d forgotten that because he only remembered how she had always looked at him with scorn or disdain. Jiyong looked at Dara suddenly when he heard her answer his mother’s question.

“I’ll be returning to the states tomorrow afternoon,” Dara answered, smiling politely. “I have another six weeks of school left.” Jiyong didn't recall ever hearing her voice in school because they never ever really talked to each other. But he found that her voice was soft and pleasant to the ear.

“And what are you majoring in?” Jiyong’s mother asked.

“I’m completing a degree in Business Administration in Finance and International Business.”

Jiyong almost laughed out loud when he heard she was doing a double-major. That sounded so much like the Dara he remembered from high school, an over-achiever in academics, always coming in top of the class, and even graduating as the valedictorian.

Jiyong’s grandfather nodded in approval at Dara’s course of studies. “Jiyong has been working in our family business since he’s graduated from high school. He’s currently the Director of Marketing and Product Development in our store branches.”

Dara nodded politely but Jiyong thought he detected a look of mockery in her brown eyes.

“Unfortunately I was never much of a student,” he said drily, looking directly at her.

At his confession, Dara’s lips quirked up ever so slightly at the corner. She recalled very well that he wasn’t much of a student, although from what she remembered it was because he was more interested in flirting and dating the gazillion fangirls he had back then rather than attend classes. She refrained from saying that out loud. Just as she refrained from saying how the Kwon Jiyong sitting across from her had grown into a handsome man. He had a boyish charm back in high school, which he still had, but now his face had become a little more chiseled, older. And she imagined that he was probably still very popular with the women. It was strange not seeing him smirking – because that’s what she remembered the most about him from their younger days was his ever present smartass smirk that always seemed to be on his face when she saw him, and irritated her to no end.

Jiyong’s grandfather began at that time to bring up the matter of the engagement agreement between Jiyong and Dara. “As you all know, we are meeting this evening to form a union between our two families with the betrothal of my grandson, Kwon Jiyong, to your beautiful granddaughter and daughter, Park Sandara. I take it by both families attendance this evening that this union is approved by both sides?”

Dara inhaled slowly and deeply, calming her nerves and keeping herself from blurting out her objection. Across from her Jiyong did the same. Both kept their eyes lowered, their expressions stoic, as their grandfather’s discussed the betrothal back and forth.

“We propose that the marriage take place in three months,” Dara’s grandfather said. “By then Dara will have graduated and moved back home.”

Jiyong’s grandfather nodded his approval.

They discussed more details and Hwangshi disclosed that Dara would be coming to work for the family business after her graduation, and would continue to do so after the marriage. This bit of news surprised Jungju. He knew for a fact that Hwangshi did not want his granddaughter working. The fact that he had changed his mind meant that Sandara had somehow convinced him. It impressed him that she was able to do so and he refrained from chuckling at her victory.

Dinner was served and the two families ate as they continued to talk. Dara and Jiyong only spoke when they were asked a question. They didn’t speak to each other at all. After dinner was over, Jiyong’s grandfather made a proposal that caught both Dara and Jiyong by surprise.

“Jiyong, why don’t you take Sandara out and spend some time reacquainting yourselves since she will be leaving tomorrow.”

Dara’s grandfather nodded his head in approval. “Yes, you two should spend a little time together since Dara will leave again tomorrow for school.”

“That’s not necessary,” Dara began, but was shut down by her grandfather. She pressed her lips together, and Jiyong nearly smirked at the look of irritation he saw her trying to suppress. ‘Now there’s the girl I remember,’ he thought, amused.

Dara looked up at Jiyong and saw the smirk lurking just beneath the smile he was giving her. She narrowed her eyes slightly, sending him a silent message to do something, because she was certain he didn’t want to spend time alone with her any more than she did with him. But instead Jiyong’s smile expanded and she could see amusement in his eyes at the glare she was sending his way.

“I think that’s a great idea,” he said, enjoying seeing the piercing look Dara was giving him.

“Is that alright with you?” Jiyong’s mother asked Dara. And Dara quickly fixed her face, not wanting the Kwon’s to think she was rude.

“That’s fine with me,” she answered, her voice saccharine sweet. She barely kept herself from rolling her eyes.

“Great!” Jiyong said, and stood. He came around and held Dara’s chair for her as she reluctantly stood.

“It you’ll excuse us,” Jiyong said, bowing to the elders at the table before he took hold of Dara’s elbow and led her out.

As soon as they were out of the room and away from their parents and grandfathers, Dara pulled her arm away and turned and glared at Jiyong. “Why didn’t you protest this engagement?” she demanded. She became further irked when Jiyong gave her a full smirk.

“Why didn’t you?” he asked, then leaned down to whisper in her ear. “Or are you excited to be marrying me, San-da-ra?”

“In your dreams,” she hissed, turning away. She stopped and turned to glare at him once more. “And don’t call me Sandara.”

Jiyong already knew she didn’t like being called her full name, but he couldn’t resist egging her on. “Ah that’s too bad,” he said, walking past her. “I think I like that name. It suits you better so I will call you by San-da-ra.”

He was smiling smugly and congratulating himself for besting her. She may be a Miss Know-It-All but she was no match for him, he thought. He expected her to retaliate but when she didn’t say anything, he continued walking thinking that she was probably too busy fuming. When he reached the door he turned to glance back, and then stopped in his tracks when he saw that no one was following him.

“Dara?”

He looked around, and then caught a glimpse of her dress as she was walking out the other exit. Jiyong huffed in irritation and walked with long strides after her.  But by the time he reached that exit he found himself too late to stop her as she jumped into a cab and closed the door.

Dara looked back and saw Jiyong standing on the steps glaring at her.  She laughed at the angry look on his face and stuck her tongue out at him as the cab drove away.

Jiyong shook his head and wondered how the two of them would survive this engagement, let alone a marriage, when they obvisoulsy still couldn't stand each other.

 

 

**