Chapter 12

Unbetrothed

 

 

((Geez, I'm sorry some of these chapters are turning out to be so short but it's just the way the story is unfolding. Anyway here's #12)

 

 

Chapter 12:

 

 

The next day Dara took Jiyong out to tour DC. They did all the tourist things and took tons of photos. In the afternoon they attended Dara’s graduation practice. Jiyong sat off to the side and watched. When it was all done Dara introduced him to several of her friends. Their reaction was nearly all the same.

“Your fiancé? We didn’t even know you were dating anyone!”

“Dara, you sly girl! How come you never told us about him?”

Dara merely smiled. She didn’t want to go into the whole history of her and Jiyong and explain their betrothal set by their grandfathers. It was enough for her and Jiyong that people only know that they were engaged to be married and were in love.

That evening they went out to dinner at a popular blues club in Georgetown and celebrated with her friends for their upcoming graduation.

“So when’s the wedding?”

Dara and Jiyong looked at each other, identical grins on their faces. “We’re not sure yet,” Dara said.

“As soon as possible,” Jiyong countered.

Dara’s friends hooted with laughter and chanted “Ji-yong! Ji-yong! Ji-yong!”

The evening went by quickly and afterwards Dara and Jiyong walked along the crowded street toward her home, their hands linked between them. He walked her up the steps to her door and stood one step below her so that she stood looking down on him.

“I’m proud of you,” Jiyong said, looking up into her eyes. “You’re strong, determined, hardworking, incredibly beautiful and intelligent. I hope we have a daughter exactly like you.”

Dara placed her hands on his cheeks and leaned in to kiss him. “You make me happy,” she said simply.

She slipped her hand down to take his and pulled him after her into the apartment.

 

**

 

The next two days was a flurry of activity as Dara ran around finishing last minute errands and packed up her things. Her mother and Thunder were flying in on her grandfather’s private jet and they would stay with her. After the graduation on Saturday the three of them plus Jiyong would fly back together. Sunday night there was a ball being held in one of the hotels owned by the Kwon family where they would celebrate Dara’s graduation and officially announce the engagement of her and Jiyong.

Jiyong hired a limo to take him and Dara to the airport to await her mother and Thunder’s arrival. It was the first time that Jiyong was meeting Dara’s younger brother, and she was happy to see the two get along well.

Mrs. Park offered to cook dinner but Jiyong and Dara talked her out of it. They wanted to take her and Thunder out to dinner so no one would have to cook. They went to one of Dara’s favorite restaurants where the atmosphere was more relaxed and conducive to lively conversation while they ate. Thunder was busy eyeing many of the university girls they met while Jiyong egged him on. Dara shook her head and sighed, “Men.”

Later that night after seeing them safely home, Jiyong said goodbye to Dara outside on the steps. “Go to bed early. You’ve got a big day ahead of you.”

Dara nodded and leaned against him, reluctant to see him go. “I’ll talk to my grandfather when we get back,” she murmured, her arms around his neck.

“What about?” he asked.

“Moving the wedding up.”

He grinned and held her tight before kissing her lightly.

 

Jiyong returned in the morning and walked with Dara and her mother and Thunder over to the hall where the graduation was being held. He stood aside as Mrs. Park fiddled proudly with Dara’s robe and her hat and tassel and honor cords until finally Dara just hugged and kissed her mother on the cheek. “No crying,” she said. She leaned up then and gave Jiyong a quick peck, winking at him too before she turned to wave bye at Thunder and her mom.

The ceremony was beautiful and when it was all done and Dara had said goodbye to her favorite professors and friends, she stood a moment looking around, her eyes getting teary. She felt two strong arms embrace her from behind and heard Jiyong’s voice in her ear. “Well done, Jagiya Well done.”

She turned to face him and saw the pride in his eyes as he stared back at her. And she gave him a little smile. “Thank you,” she mouthed, and stepped into his embrace.

 

**