Chapter 10

Unbetrothed

 

 

 

Chapter 10

 

 

Dara hurried home, a bouquet of fresh flowers in one hand, her book bag in the other. All her exams were done, her grades checked, and she was all set for graduation that Saturday. Her mother and Thunder would be flying in on Friday to attend the graduation. Today though someone else very special was arriving – Jiyong.

For the past three weeks they had been keeping in touch over the phone and via video chat. It wasn’t easy because of the time difference and with him busy at work and Dara trying to finish up her school projects and exams. But still they managed to carve out at a little time each day to talk. Usually it was when he was just finishing his work day and Dara was getting ready for school.

It was still somewhat awkward for Dara since they’d spent so little time together face to face and this was her first at having someone special in her life. She found it easier to talk about his work, her school, their families, what they did or were going to do that day. Underneath it all there was this undercurrent of longing that was growing inside of her that she couldn’t quite understand.

Jiyong felt it too but he had enough past experiences to recognize what it was. He wanted intimacy with her. He longed to be physically close to her and do the things that lovers do: to hold hands, embrace each other, kiss, whisper sweet words to one another, walk with their fingers linked, laugh… all those wonderful things that help to make a bond stronger between a man and woman. He had gotten Dara to agree to give their relationship / engagement a try but he understood too that she was struggling to deal with the whole emotional side of things. He knew she was afraid of the new feelings she was experiencing and he wished they weren’t so far apart so that he could help her discover how wonderful the growing feelings of intimacy could be between two people falling in love.

That was why he had booked his flight to be in town three days early for her graduation so that he could spend time with her. He took care of all the pressing matters at work and had gotten the okay from his grandfather to take the time off. His grandfather couldn’t be happier to know that Jiyong was flying out to attend Dara’s graduation and that he was leaving early to spend extra days with her. To Jungju this felt the same as if this were a new business venture except this one was more important than any business deal for it had to do with his grandson's future and happiness.

Jiyong flew into JFK airport and did a transfer flight to DC. He was impatient to see her. He had given his secretary Dara’s apartment address and asked her to book him a hotel nearby. He didn’t want to spend a lot of time in transit, especially since he wasn’t familiar with the place. And he wanted to spend as much time as possible with her.

The pilot announced that they were about to land and Jiyong looked out the window to see rolling hills and the green of the trees, and he couldn’t keep the smile from his face. Dara was nearby… He was finally going to see her again after being apart for six weeks. He felt like a high school kid again going on his first date, only this time it would be with the woman who was to be his wife and life companion. Thoughts of Dara from high school filled his mind and his eyes sparkled at the memories. Before he had convinced himself he couldn’t stand the high school Dara because he thought she was always looking down on him. Now he couldn’t help but wonder if the real reason he had hated Dara back then was because he was unknowingly attracted to her. Well either way that was the past. Now he felt like he had a better view of the real Park Sandara. A woman who was beautiful, quirky, intelligent, joyful, hardworking, and made him laugh. He saw his world in a more positive light because of her and felt the beginnings of happiness and peace.

 

**

 

Dara hurried out of the shower and began to dress. A quick glance at the clock showed that Jiyong’s flight was about to arrive. He was staying at the Capella, which was less than a block from where Dara lived. She had originally planned to meet him at the airport but Jiyong had told her he would take a cab since she didn’t have a car and he didn’t want to inconvenience her. She altered her plan to meet him instead at his hotel.

She felt as if she were going off to see Youngbae except that with Youngbae she didn’t think she would feel this nervous. At the back of her mind a thought kept poking at her conscience and made her blush pink: She and Jiyong would probably kiss

Dara shook the thought form her head and slapped her cheeks with the palms of her hands. “Stop-stop-stop-stop!!” she muttered, and took a deep breath. God, she felt sick to her stomach!

Breathe in – breathe out, Dara…

She sat down on her bed and did a few more deep breathing exercises as she wondered what exactly she was getting herself into. Did he even have any idea how much of a wreck he was causing her to be? She was freaking herself out here!

Unable to stand it any longer Dara reached for her landline phone and began pressing in numbers. She waited impatiently, hoping the person she was calling would be at home. “CL, please pick up the phone!”

Allo?”

“CL!”

Dara, is that you?”

 “CL, help me!” Dara pleaded, giving her girlfriend a shock. But by the time Dara finished explaining what was happening, CL was laughing at the goofiness of her dear friend.

Dara, darling, relax!”

CL was already aware of the development between Dara and Jiyong as Dara had called her a few weeks earlier and talked to her.

“Don’t freak yourself out, girlfriend. Just think of Jiyong as a good friend. One that you have permission to hold hands with and even kiss.”

“Yah! That’s what’s freaking me out!” Dara groaned, and she heard CL laugh again on the phone.

“Just let things happen naturally. Don’t try to force it,” CL advised. “Jiyong knows he’s your first beau, and from what you’ve told me he really likes you Dara. Take things slow and, if it helps, just think of him as if he were Bae.”

Dara nodded. “Okay, think of him as Bae. I can do that…”

On her end CL smiled at her close friend having a nervous breakdown. “Darling, call me tomorrow and let me know how it goes. On the other hand, if you don’t call, then I’ll assume all is well in lover’s land.”

“Okay,” Dara said, not sounding very confident. “Wish me luck.”

“You don’t need it,” CL told her affectionately. “You’re a wonderful girl and Kwon Jiyong knows it, that’s why he’s fallen for you. Just be your natural adorable self, baby girl and everything will be fine. I love you!”

 

**

Jiyong arrived at his hotel and paid for the cab as a porter came to take his suitcase inside. He looked around to see if he could spot Dara as he made his way inside and over to the check-in desk. He had just finished checking in and had his room key when he heard Dara’s voice right behind him.

“Jiyong-ssi?”

He turned and saw Dara standing there, dressed in a short sleeve dress and her hair loose. She blinked at him, and bit her lower lip nervously.

“Dara.” His heart leapt in his chest as he stepped forward and gathered her in his arms and hugged her tight.

The second Jiyong’s arms went about her all of Dara’s nervousness fled and she melted against him. He felt warm and safe, as if this was where she belonged, and she inhaled deeply of his male cologne, memorizing it. When he pulled back Dara smiled up at him and said, “Welcome to DC!”

“Thank you,” he said, grinning down at her. He leaned down and placed a kiss on her forehead before slipping his hand into hers. “Let’s go take my things in my room.”

After they got Jiyong settled in and a chance to shower and change, the two decided to have dinner there at the hotel because it was quiet and convenient and the menu was excellent. They enjoyed their time talking and eating, and afterwards they took a stroll hand in hand through Georgetown and Dara showed Jiyong the two bedroom townhouse that she rented.

“Your place is beautiful,” he told her, holding her hand as they stood at the window and looked down into the street and the people –mainly the university students—walking about. Jiyong turned then to Dara and took both her hands in his as he moved in so that they were touching. Dara felt her nervousness begin to creep up on her again and she looked away, her cheeks turning pink.

Jiyong smiled and reached up with one hand to brush his fingers against her cheek. “You look scared,” he told her, his voice soft and gentle.

Dara looked down and bit her lower lip. “I feel awkward… and embarrassed,” she told him.

“Why?”

She sighed and looked up at him, her eyes large and vulnerable looking. “I’ve never done this before. And you must think I’m an awful prude.”

Jiyong smiled, laughter filling his eyes as he leaned to press his forehead to hers. “I think you’re beautiful, and I love that no other man has touched you, or kissed you.” He pulled back so that she could see the feelings in his eyes, and he took her hand and placed it above his heart. “Can you feel my heart beating for you?” he asked.

Dara looked skeptically at where he placed her hand before glancing back up at him. “No.”

Jiyong laughed and shook his head. “You’re so unromantic.” At this Dara made a whimpering sound and twisted into a cute pout. Jiyong wrapped his arms around her, holding her close as he rocked her side to side. He then took her hand and led her over to the couch and he sat down and pulled her to sit next to him.

“I’m going to sacrifice myself for your education,” he told her.

“Eh?” She was looking at him with a look of distrust, which made Jiyong adore her more. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back.

“I’m going to sit here,” he told her. “And you can do whatever you want with me.”

Dara’s look became even more puzzled. What the heck was she supposed to do with him?

“Don’t be shy,” Jiyong said, his eyes still closed. “Touch me, kiss me, bite me, me… whatever you want.”

“Yuck!” Dara slapped his chest and tried to pull away. But Jiyong grabbed hold of her hands and he opened his eyes. He was enjoying this immensely, especially the look of horror on Dara’s face.

“Do you want to reverse and you let me experiment on you?” he asked.

“Ha! I doubt if you need experimenting!” she proclaimed. Her face fell and she asked in a small voice, “Can’t I maybe just sit next to you and, I don’t know, maybe put my head on your shoulder or something less threatening like that?”

His eyes gentled and Jiyong raised her hand to his lips. “Baby, you can do whatever you want.” He moved then, raising his arm so that Dara could settle next to him and he placed his arm around her as she leaned against him. She was stiff and tense. He saw the tv remote on the end table and he picked it up and turned the television on. Not saying anything he surfed the channel until he came across a channel with his favorite cartoon, Spongebob. And he settled down to watch it with her.

“You like that?” she asked. Personally she couldn’t stand the creepy little creature.

“He’s hilarious,” Jiyong said, and he shifted so that they were both more comfortable and Dara was more or less half lying on him and he had his head leaning against hers. The sound of his breathing calmed her and Dara soon found herself chuckling along with Jiyong at the antics of the yellow Spongebob and his friend. By and by she felt Jiyong grow slack against her and his breathing deepen. Dara shifted carefully and saw that he had fallen asleep.

She stared at him, studying his face as he slept. He was beautiful and boyish looking as he slept. After a while she started to stand but Jiyong felt her and his eyes opened. She could see how tired he looked.

“Don’t leave,” he said, and something about the way he said it caused Dara’s heart to beat uncontrollably. He tugged gently on her hand, pulling her so that they were both now lying on the couch, Dara facing him, his arm securely folded around her. “I’ve missed you,” he told her, his eyes closing as he snuggled against her.

Her face was next to his. His eyes were closed again and he was fast fading into sleep once more. Dara felt an overwhelming sense of tenderness as she watched him.

So this is what it feels like to like someone.

He seemed so vulnerable as he lay sleeping. She couldn’t resist the desire to reach up and touch her fingers lightly to his face. He felt very male like.

Her eyes explored his face at leisure; the arch of his brows, how his lashes fanned out against his cheeks, the light circles under his eyes from the lack of sleep on the plane. And then her eyes settled on his lips and her fingers followed closely behind. Ever so gently she traced his lower lip, marveling at the feel of it.

“Oh!” She gasped and her eyes widened suddenly when Jiyong’s lips moved and he began kissing her fingertip. She blinked, her heart racing, eyes mesmerized at how his mouth gently finger. When she felt his hot tongue she jerked her finger back. He was looking at her with his eyes half open. His gaze dropped to and he slowly moved his head toward hers. His eyes closed as he lightly rubbed his nose to hers, nuzzling her ever so lightly. Dara’s breath caught at the explosion of feelings overtaking her. And when Jiyong leaned further forward to press his mouth to hers Dara closed her eyes and relaxed into his kiss.

 

**