Chapter 3

Unbetrothed

Chapter 3:

 

By the time the Park’s private jet neared its destination Teddy had succeeded in calming Dara down.

“You know how our grandfather is, how stubborn he can be once he has his mind is set on something. You won’t be able to win against him if you go in all hot-headed and emotional. Instead you have to think things through carefully.”

Dara sighed, her body sagging back against the chair. Teddy was right, of course. Her going in to meet her grandfather blazing angry would only further his belief that women did not belong in the boardroom. She needed to think how she could make this work for her because, like Teddy said, it would be very hard to dissuade her grandfather once his mind was set on something. Trouble was, she didn’t have much time.

“Aisht! But why, of all people, set me up with that jerk?” she grumbled a minute later as she remembered whom her grandfather had selected for her. Beside her Teddy smirked.

“That ‘jerk’ happens to come from a very powerful family. I’m not in the least surprised that grandfather wants this match to happen.”

Dara rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest, a frown settling upon her lips. “The only satisfaction I have is knowing that he’s probably equally appalled at the possibility of me as his potential bride.” She imagined the look of horror Kwon Jiyong would have when he learned she was the bride his grandfather was arranging for him to marry, and suddenly she laughed out loud and grabbed her stomach. Teddy looked at her, wondering what she found so amusing.

“Ah, I wish I could see that jerk’s face when he finds out I’m the one his grandfather wants him to marry,” she smirked. But then seconds later she groaned as the reality of the situation hit her once again – she was to marry Kwon Jiyong!

“Dear God, I’ve got to find a way to get out of this,” she sighed woefully.

“Don’t you have a boyfriend yet?” Teddy asked her. Her only real chance to dissuade their grandfather from his current path was if she had a hidden beau with an impeccable background and powerful connections. The sour look Dara gave him provided her answer.

“When would I have time to date when I’m too busy with school?” she asked, but Teddy knew it was more than just school that kept Dara from dating. Although he was older than her he wasn’t so far removed as not to know that Dara’s nickname amongst her circle of friends was I.P., the Ice Princess. It was a name that started back in high school because of the way she always rejected all advances from the many boys that were interested in her. After high school was worse. She just wasn’t interested in romance right now.

“Well then maybe an arranged marriage will be good for you. Otherwise I don’t see you giving any guy a chance,” Teddy said.

At this Dara frowned. “Oppa, you’re so mean. You’re probably happy that grandfather is doing this to me.”

“It wouldn’t hurt for you to start thinking about having someone special in your life. Maybe that’s another reason why grandfather is arranging your marriage is because he’s concerned for you.”

“That’s not true. He would do this regardless. Remember you and Mina – he didn’t care that you two had been together for close to two years when he made you marry Bom unnie. And Bom unnie had been dating her boyfriend even longer than you and Mina were together.”

Teddy grew silent at Dara’s reminder of his and Bom’s past lovers. Their marriage indeed had been a difficult union with both of them pining for their lost loves. But that was in the past. This year marked their third year together and he had grown to love his beautiful red-headed wife. They were expecting their first child in a few months. “I guess it’s true what they say that time heals all wounds,” Teddy said quietly.

 

When they arrived at the airport Dara found Bom waiting for the two of them along with her driver. She waved excitedly when she saw Dara and gave her a warm hug. “Welcome back home!”

“Bommie!” Dara returned her cousin in law’s hug. She marveled at Bom’s baby bump and turned to narrow her eyes at Teddy. “You didn’t tell me you two were expecting,” she complained.

Teddy walked over and placed a kiss on his wife’s temple and she smiled up at him, and he said to her, “Will you take her and get her ready please, and make sure she doesn't try to escape? I need to get over to the office.”

Dara rolled her eyes as Bom giggled and nodded. Dara didn't miss the tender look Teddy gave his wife, and it both surprised and pleased Dara.  She really liked Bom. She was beautiful, funny and kind-hearted. The only problem with the match between her and Teddy had been that both were deeply in love with other people at the time. At the wedding Bom’s eyes were red and swollen, and Teddy had looked like he was marching off to his death. Dara had been certain the marriage was doomed. But now Teddy was holding Bom’s hand and gazing tenderly at her, and Bom’s answering smile to her husband, as well as her baby bump was a testament that their marriage was working.

“Will you be home for dinner?” Bom asked, and Teddy nodded before leaning down for a quick kiss before he turned and waved goodbye at Dara. “Good luck tonight!”

Dara scowled at him and Teddy chuckled.

 

**

 

Jiyong sat across from his grandfather and eyed the old man as he tried to control his temper. He’d just spent the last hour trying to convince his grandfather to forego this crazy plan of an arranged marriage, especially to that Sandara Park! But the old man had merely flicked all Jiyong’s concerns to the side and pretty much repeated what Jiyong’s father had told him that morning. Either he marry Sandara Park or he give up his inheritance.

“Is this what you really want?” Jiyong asked. “Would you really disinherit me if I don’t marry the person you choose?” When his grandfather remained silent, Jiyong stood and bowed. He would show his grandfather that he could play hardball as well. “Then so be it. I’ll move out of the house immediately. You can strike my name from the family registry as well.”

With that Jiyong turned and walked to the door.

 

**

“So what’s up with you and Teddy?” Dara asked. She and Bom were on the way to the house.

“What do you mean?” Bom asked.

“Last time I saw you two I feared your marriage wouldn’t last, but now it looks like things have changed?” Dara pointed with a smile to Bom’s stomach. “When’s baby due?”

Bom smiled shyly, her hand went to her caress her stomach.  “Ending of September.”

“And??” Dara urged Bom along when the latter fell silent.

“And what?” Bom asked, purposely ignoring the other part of Dara’s question.

“Bom, unnie, are you happy? I’m asking about your marriage… are you happy in your marriage to Teddy oppa?” Dara asked gently.

After a few seconds Bom nodded her head slowly. “It was hard for us in the beginning and we had some pretty big fights. But somehow, slowly, we began to change. I still don’t know how it quite happened but, one thing led to another and before I knew it I was falling in love with him. I began to realize that Teddy is really a good guy. He’s considerate and funny once you get to know him. He treats me well. I think that’s what did me in was seeing how patient he is with me and how hard he tries to make me happy. Now we’re having a baby. I feel like my life is complete.”

Dara smiled at Bom and reached over to squeeze her hand. She wanted to ask Bom what of her feelings for her old beau, and if those had disappeared as well over time? But she held the question back and remained silent, her thoughts settling on her own future and what it held in store for her. It was true she was against the idea of an arranged marriage, but it was interesting to her to see that Bom and Teddy had successfully managed to make their arranged marriage work. Could that possibly happen to her and Kwon Jiyong if they went through with an arranged marriage as well? After a minute Dara shuddered and shook her head. No, she couldn’t see that happening with the guy named Kwon Jiyong that she remembered from high school.

**

Jiyong reached out for the door knob of his grandfather’s office, a smirk on his face as he was about to make his grand exit after declaring to his grandfather that he could disinherit him AND remove him from the family registry. ‘Let the old man deal with that!’ he thought smugly. But the next words out of his grandfather’s mouth made him pause dead in his steps.

“I’m sorry you feel that way, Jiyong. But if that’s your wish, then so be it,” Kwon Jung-ju, said. “Know then that I plan to offer Park Sandara the position of CEO of our Financial Group.”

Jiyong’s back stiffened and he turned back slowly, his eyes narrowed as he looked at his grandfather. “Why are you doing this?” he grit out. “What exactly is your obsession with that woman that you’re determined to make her a part of your family?”

His grandfather sat back and crossed his fingers across his chest. “You still don’t get it, do you Jiyong?” he said slowly. “This has nothing to do with Park Sandara and everything to do with the future of our family. Do you think I don’t know that you have no interest in the family business? That I don’t know about your desire to pursue a career in music? Or that I don’t know about your compositions written under the nom de plume G-Dragon? That I don’t know that you hate the thought of having to inherit the position of CEO of our family business?” The corner of his mouth pulled up to a half-smile while his eyes looked tired. “I know a lot more about you than you realize, Jiyong. That’s why I’ve selected Park Sandara as the perfect match for you.”

Jiyong stood staring uncertainly at his grandfather, trying to assess if this was a trick to get him to stay. The older man sighed and opened the folder on his desk, it was a copy of the file Jiyong’s father had given him earlier that day.

“You need someone like Dara to help you run the business. The girl is as smart as she is beautiful. Do you know her net worth right now is $14.9 million, and that’s just from her part-time investments made over the last eight years. She knows how to make money, she understands the financial market and where to invest. Personally I think she’s a better fit to lead the Park family group over her cousin but her grandfather doesn’t feel the same. He’s not even considering allowing her to work for the family, a waste really because she has a brilliant mind, but it’s his loss as well.”

“What does that have to do with me and the future of the Kwon group?” Jiyong asked.

Jung-ju sighed. “You’re my only grandson and the heir to run the Kwon group. It pains me to say this but I believe you would likely run the business aground within a few years if I let you take over.” The old man shrugged his shoulders at the look Jiyong gave him. “I’ve had to accept that your heart does not lie in business. Unfortunately for me, neither your sister nor cousin has any desire or talent in it either. If either of them had a head for business then I would have made one of them to replace you and allow you to pursue your music.”

“You would do that?” Jiyong asked, sounding skeptical.

“I built this company for the sake of my family, so that my children and grand-children and their children could be happy and not worry in life” his grandfather replied. “More than anything I want to know that it will continue on after I’m gone and will continue to provide for our family for generations to come. Your father has been with the company since he was 18 and has done a good job in his role. But for the business to expand in the future it needs someone with greater vision and ability so that it can compete aggressively with the other companies.”

“And that’s where Dara comes in,” Jiyong muttered. “Aren’t you forgetting an important piece? What if she doesn’t agree to your plan? The two of us attended the same school but we were hardly friends. In fact, you could say we were quite the opposite.”

“I’m well aware of that,” Jung-ju chuckled. “I find that a positive on her end as I know she wouldn’t be an easy pushover by you.”

Jiyong stared with shock at his grandfather. “I can’t believe that you would put so much trust in that person.”

“And you put too little faith in that person without really knowing her,” his grandfather replied. “As I’ve said, I’ve watched her for a while. Not only is she smart and trying to win her grandfather’s favor, she’s also has a very amicable personality.”

Jiyong laughed aloud at this, remembering the girl from high school. His grandfather stood and came round to stand before him.

“Give her a chance, Jiyong. Won’t you at least do that much for me?”

**