[2/4]

Vicissitude

For Nikki, Janella, Sher for supporting me ever since T_T

 

 

***

 

 

Kyungsoo wakes up to his phone ringing at the bedside table. Seeing Jongin's contact name ‘My Love’ quickly awoke his senses as he props himself up and slides the answer button, nearly falling off the bed. 



 


“Hello?” He asks as he gets a grip of himself, rubbing his sleep-weary eyes. 

 


"Good morning, baby." Kyungsoo finds relief when he finally hears Jongin's 'peanut butter' voice on the phone.

 

He has always described it as peanut butter ever since he heard Jongin singing while making breakfast for the both of them.  He was very surprised to hear Jongin's voice because he could not believe that the boy had so much talent in him. Kyungsoo doesn't know why he thought of peanut butter, but it perfectly suits Jongin's singing voice; it's not that sweet, and it's not likes his either, but it's warm and just— peanut butter. So strange just thinking of it but Kyungsoo likes it that way. 



"So are you ready for today?" Jongin asks with a hint of excitement in his voice. 


"Ready for what?" Kyungsoo asks with a slight irk. Clearly, he just wants to rest for the whole day. 


"Aigoo, can you see the luggage at the living room?" Jongin asked and Kyungsoo quickly gets on his feet and walks towards their small living room. 

 


He doesn't know why, but he felt a sudden pang in his chest. 


"What's the luggage for, Jongin? A-are you leaving?" He asks, eyes widening in fear. He can't afford to see Jongin leave him, not after all this time, not after all they've been through. 


Jongin laughs, "Ah, stupid, why would I do that, baby? Look, listen to me. I want you to take a bath and meet me at Yeongdeungpo Station between 9:30 or 10:00. And bring that luggage with you, okay?" 


"But w-wh—"


"You'll find out soon, don't worry. Trust me on this. I love you, baby. I'll see you soon." Before Kyungsoo could ask another question, Jongin drops the call. He scoffs in shock and annoyance. Jongin did not just hang up on me


He checks the time. What the hell, it's just 7:48 am. He groans in irritation, wondering what could be the catch Jongn had in mind today.


Kyungsoo finishes preparing at exactly 8:56 am when he checked his watch. He gets the house keys, checking if everything is in place before he heads out with the luggage, walking to the bus stop. 


In less than 30 minutes, he arrives at the Yeongdeungpo station. 


He stands near the entrance with the luggage, feeling contented that he wore his favorite casual clothes today because somehow, it made him feel comfortable. He looks around and wonders why Jongin is nowhere to be found. Kyungsoo fishes his phone out of his pocket and quickly calls Jongin on speed dial. 



It takes a few rings before someone pecks him surprisingly on the lips, startling him. He looks up and sees Jongin with a huge grin on his face. 


"What—"


"For you, my love." Jongin winks offering him a bouquet of flowers. Kyungsoo feels his heart flutter and cheeks starting to warm. 


"What is this for?" He asks, stunned.




"Happy anniversary?" Both of them laughed together as Kyungsoo gets the bouquet. They knew it was their anniversary today, but they have agreed on the 'no gift or celebration' thing since they never had a budget for it. Both Jongin and Kyungsoo insists that one day, they'll be able to buy everything for each other; but now, they just need to save up for their future together.


"Thank you, Jongin. They're wonderful!" Kyungsoo smiles as he smells the beautiful flowers again, surprised that they really do smell good. 


"We're going out today." Jongin clears his throat as he puts his hands on his waists. 



"Where to?" 



"Busan, beach party! The cult invited us, so we're going." 


"The cult?" Kyungsoo laughs, he knows what or who exactly the cult is. No it’s not Junmen or Kris who named the cult as the cult. It’s obviously either Luhan or Sehun, you can guess.




"Yeah, they planned a reunion party beforehand. I didn't tell you because I wanted to surprise you." Jongin smiles, feeling proud of himself for sticking to his plan because seeing Kyungsoo surprised is just priceless. 


"You didn't have to." Kyungsoo smiles in awe, admiring the flowers and his boyfriend as well. 


"Let's go." Jongin pulled Kyungsoo, not removing the arm draped around his shoulder as he pulled the luggage with his free arm. 




The train to Busan from Seoul took approximately three hours. The train was a little bit crowded but they both enjoyed the trip; being with each other is enough to feel safe and comfortable. 


Kyungsoo worries that Jongin was spending too much on him already after the bouquet of flowers and a late lunch meal on the restaurant in Busan when they arrived. 

 


But Jongin assured him that everything's fine and he doesn't need to worry. Kyungsoo nods at him, and answers 'Okay.' He smiles and thanks Jongin for the wonderful treat. It has been a while since they ate in a fancy restaurant, so Kyungsoo feels glad that it was their anniversary today. 


The two of them walks to the bus stop after the good lunch. They exchanged jokes and good laughs as they wait for bus 1003; the bus to the heading to the beach.


Kyungsoo blushes whenever someone looks at them since they're all being lovey and dovey in public. But whenever he tries to move an inch away, Jongin notices and pulls him back close, because Jongin himself couldn't be more proud having Kyungsoo by his side. 


Nearly four in the afternoon, they arrived at Heundae Beach. Jongin and Kyungsoo stayed at the entrance, Jongin saying that they're just going to wait a few minutes for another surprise. 


"Jongin, this bouquet, the lunch, and being by your side is enough." Kyungsoo looks really worried, and Jongin just want to kiss his worries away. 


He chuckles as he pulls Kyungsoo for a hug, leaving a small gap between them. He kisses the pout away from Kyungsoo's lips, and the older boy's face relaxes. 


"Trust me, Soo. You deserve more than this." He breathes in the scent of Kyungsoo's hair and kisses his head.

 

"Don't you worry, okay?" And Kyungsoo nods. He always loved Kyungsoo's smell, feeling happy on agreeing to use strawberry shampoo for years now that it became his favorite scent.


"You're more than enough, Jongin." Kyungsoo adds as he smiles and hugs Jongin tight. 


"That's why I'm here." He kisses Kyungsoo once more and hugs back tighter. They both swayed, relaxing at each other's arms. 



It's good they planned for a night swim instead of a day swim, because obviously, no one wants to get a tan. 


"Aha," Jongin says, breaking away from the hug. 


"Kyungsoo?" Kyungsoo turns, his eyes widening and mouth gaping in shock when he sees Luhan behind him. 


"Luhan?" Kyungsoo says in disbelief. It's his first time seeing Luhan again after a few months and he had to admit that he missed his bestfriend. 


"Kyungsoo?" Luhan repeats, dropping his bags and laughing as he runs towards Kyungsoo, giving him a warm, friendly hug. 



"It's been so long, man." Luhan says as Kyungsoo hugs him tighter. Luhan didn't change at all, Kyungsoo thinks. He still looks pretty, coughs, and manly as always, that's what Luhan says. 

 


"And you too, Jongin! Lookin' good huh." He pats Jongin's shoulder, the young man smiles in awe. 


"Never been better, Luhan." Jongin assures. 


"But Kyungsoo, wow, I missed you so much!" He hugs Kyungsoo once more. 


"I know! It's good to see you! Where's Sehun?" 


"He's already at the beach, with the rest of the cult, fixing our party space near the beach shore." Luhan smiles.


"Shall we go then?" Kyungsoo asks, and Luhan nods, grabbing his bags before leading the way to the beach. 


Kyungsoo can't wait to see them and so does Jongin. 

 


When they arrived, the couple spots all of their friends. The cult; Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Yixing, Minseok, Jongdae, and Sehun, came running to them with excited guffaws. Handshakes, hugs, and small punches were exchanged as all of them welcomed each other. 


It's a warm afternoon; people are all over the area of the beach and thousands of tent umbrellas stand on the sand. There are a lot of things going on, but luckily, the beach is clean. The area is indeed loud but it keeps the beach alive. 


Kyungsoo finds the place a little bit overcrowded but he knows people will start to leave soon once the sun goes down. 


"So as you can see, I've already arranged a list for the things we're assigned to." Luhan says,waving a piece of paper around. The rest of the group groans at Luhan. Kyungsoo mentally thinks to himself that he just wants to enjoy this day and not do some crazy tasks. But since he wants to help as well, he's agrees to help his friend. 



Luhan begins reading his list. 


"Maknaes, go and enjoy your free time. I'll make sure you'll do things after us, your hyungs, which is Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and I, finish our works before the sunset."  


Tao, Sehun, and Jongin jumps in enthusiasm, including Minseok and Jongdae. The feeling like maknaes


"What?!" Kyungsoo blurted. "Where's justice?" 


"Baby, I promise to do the tasks Luhan will make me to do later, okay?" Jongin hugs him and kisses the pout away from Kyungsoo's lips, hearing the others groaning in annoyance. 


"I love you." Jongin hugs him tighter, gently placing another gentle kiss on his forehead. He closes his eyes, trying to remember the feeling so he can keep it through the night. 


"I love you, too. Take care alright?" He looks at Jongin's eyes, wanting to let Jongin know that he is afraid to lose him so he better keep safe. 


"Ugh. Get over, you two! Now, shoo!" Luhan moves his hands away from the couple with a disgusted look on his face. 
 

Jongin nods as he breaks away from Kyungsoo, running away with the "maknaes". 


Luhan begins to set up the barbeque grill and he arranges the fresh meat in a big plate with Chanyeol helping him. Kyungsoo walks away in small distance, looking at the beach fully. 


Lots of people started to close their umbrellas and leave, only a few people staying. Kyungsoo finds relief when he starts to see the beach a little bit unoccupied.


The sun's starting to set and he breathes the warm breeze that's giving him inner peace. He starts to hear street musicians from a distance; lights are starting to float around, causing the atmosphere to become more cozy. He feels comfortable, but he suddenly feels a hint of sadness when he realizes that Jongin is not here with him at this kind of moment. 



"Kyungsoo." A deep voice startles his silence and he jumps in place as he turns around, surprised.


"Oh, Chanyeol, you scared me." Kyungsoo says with a faint smile, placing a hand over his chest. Chanyeol chuckles as he sits in an indian position, fixing his gaze to the sunset. Kyungsoo didn't realize that he got lost in the moment for a while before Channie came.


"What are you thinking? Seems deep." Chanyeol smiles sweetly as he pats the space beside him, beckoning Kyungsoo to sit with him on the sand. 


"Nah, it's just— I like how peaceful beaches can be during sunset time." He smiles, assuring Chanyeol that everything is fine. 


Kyungsoo looks back at their party area, and feels guilty when he sees Luhan grilling alone. 


"I think we should help Luhan." 



"He said we don't need to worry. Since he missed the gang so much, he said he'll do the food himself. Trust me, I tried." They both chuckle together. Kyungsoo sits down, wrapping his legs with his arms; but the moment the waves crashed to the shore, silence envelopes the both of them. They sat there still without words, watching the sun submerge. 


Kyungsoo remembers the past as Chanyeol does too. It was a couple of years back before even Jongin came to their lives. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol had this special friendship no one dared to mess up. 

But of course, the mundane realism wasn't something they could easily dodge. 


Chanyeol had to leave with his parents to another place for a better life, leaving his bestfriend Kyungsoo behind. 


Kyungsoo didn't know about it until the day Chanyeol will leave. He tried calling Chanyeol a few times but he didn't pick up. So he got mad and ran to the airport right away. 



"Promise you'll never forget me, Channie!" Kyungsoo screams in a distance, watching Chanyeol carry his bags and getting ready to leave.


Chanyeol looks back, seeing Kyungsoo crying and trying to release himself away from the hold of the guards. Chanyeol couldn't do anything but watch his bestfriend with sad eyes, and his mom pulling him towards the plane entrance. 


Kyungsoo secretly loved Chanyeol and he knew Chanyeol felt the same as well. 

 


But no one dared to confess first. 

 


One night, Chanyeol reconciled with Kyungsoo through online chatting. He apologized for being dumb, but Kyungsoo said he didn't mind it as long as they kept in touch with each other. That’s how Kyungsoo loved him, nothing matters than the present.


They chatted and called each other everyday. Every night, Kyungsoo would wait for Chanyeol's skype call and they would end up finishing their talk until the sun has started rising. They’ve argued about lots of things, who gets the more I love yous, I miss yous.




The night Kyungsoo couldn't wait any longer and confessed his feelings for Chanyeol through e-mail was also the night he had his first heartbreak, because Chanyeol didn't respond to his e-mail, or called him, or messaged him after that. It was clear to Kyungsoo that Chanyeol didn't accept his love. 


Only to find out that Chanyeol started dating someone he met. Since then, Kyungsoo started to have trust issues with everyone. He completely closed himself to all the people he knew.


A few years later, Chanyeol came back having no connection with Kyungsoo. They became schoolmates once again, greeting each other at the corridors, and having lunch together with the rest of the clan. Clearly much different compared before. 

 


Chanyeol regretted hurting Kyungsoo like that, thinking it was very inhumane of him to act like nothing happened. 
 


He apologized once more to Kyungsoo but nothing's ever the same. He understood his bestfriend, and there was nothing he can do than to be a better person instead. 


Maybe their love just wasn't meant to be. And that's when Jongin came into the story. He knew the boy had so much potential and dedication, and in a strange way, Chanyeol felt like Jongin is the right guy to fix Kyungsoo back. 



And he was right. Kyungsoo became happier than ever. 



"You really love him, do you?" Chanyeol sighs defeatedly, pressing his palms against the sand as he leans back. The skies have darkened now, making the beach felt more comfortable. And now, there's nothing better than letting go. 



"Yes, I do. So much." Kyungsoo laughs at himself as he realizes how much he loves Jongin that it could make him crazy when he loses him. He couldn't live without Jongin, because basically they grew up and helped each other during the bad days. They are each other's hope, anyway. There's nothing wrong feeling like this. 



Chanyeol laughs softly with tears b in his eyes, because finally, Kyungsoo found someone who could actually love him like he always wanted to. He wipes it away, trying to stay unnoticed. Kyungsoo's eyes are fixated at the sea, watching the waves crash by the shore. 


"I'm glad and happy for you both." Chanyeol pats Kyungsoo's back. 


Kyungsoo turns to his side and smiles at him, "Thanks, Channie." 


Chanyeol feels happy hearing his old nickname from his best friend. 

 

 



They stayed watching the shore for a while until Luhan calls them back.


"Yo guys, help me with the plates. Dinner's ready soon." He winks at them as they walk near. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol happily obliges. 


Luhan feels glad for cooking the dinner alone, because if he didn't, Chanyeol wouldn't be able to let go of the past tonight. He watches the two argue like they always did before. Good to have them back.



Minutes later, Jongdae came running breathless. He stops when he sees Kyungsoo, and places his hands on his knees as he kept on panting.



"K-Kyungsoo." He calls breathlessly with panic-striken eyes. 


 


Kyungsoo quickly makes his way to Jongdae, Chanyeol and Luhan following him from behind. "Where's Jongin?"


Jongdae looks stark terrified as he exchang glances with them, not knowing what to say. Kyungsoo feels guilt on his chest as he watches his friend having a nervous breakdown. 


"Jongdae, where's Jongin!" He grips Jongdae's shoulders to at least calm him down and tell him where the is the love of his life. 



"We were at the end of the beach a-and we p-played games at the water. We didn't n-notice that Jongin got farther from us that we didn't notice that that he was already d-drowning." Jongdae places both of his hands on his head as he feels frustrated and terrified. His eyes shaken with panic.


Kyungsoo didn't wait for another word. He started to run towards the end of the beach, pushing a few people along the way and not bothering to say excuses because he needs to save Jongin.

 



He hears Chanyeol and Luhan calling him from behind. "Kyungsoo, wait!"


But he doesn't stop. He keeps on running and running until he feels a burning sensation in his chest and on both of his legs. 


He chants, "Jongin, please don't leave me" as he slowly becomes breathless and breathless with each step. He feels hot tears b in his eyes as it clouded his vision. He wipes them away quickly and continued on running. 


He stops until he sees a group of people herding in commotion, and then he realizes that he is already at the end of the beach. 


Minseok and Sehun catches his attention from the crowd. He figures that Jongin is there.

 

He runs again, pushing the people away with all his remaining power until he makes his way in. 
 



There he sees Jongin lying down on the sand with Sehun and Minseok by his side, not moving and completely still.