[1/4]

Vicissitude

For Miyu Jakkanim, for editing this part and for helping me write!

 

***

 

 

 

(!!!) Play Playlist (click)

 

 

It is already five in the morning when Jongin slips out from the bed, gently placing a chaste kiss on Kyungsoo's lips, careful to not wake the love of his life. 



He whispers a soft ‘I love you’ before heading towards the bathroom to prepare for this special day. Jongin feels he is more than ready to add this day to one of the best days of his life.


Of course, he counts meeting Kyungsoo as one of these most precious moments. In fact, he believes that Kyungsoo has singlehandedly changed his life for the better. He feels inspired to work harder to make single day a better day for them. Today, Jongin knows the time has come for him to thank Kyungsoo for everything -- for inspiring him, loving him when he's a mess, holding on when things got hard, and most especially, for not giving up on him even when everything else seems to be downright wrong.

 

 



After knowing Kyungsoo for a few months, Jongin decides to confess. He is walking Kyungsoo home from school as they exchange a lot of sweet words and comfortable laughter.

 

Kyungsoo loves Jongin’s laugh. He finds Jongin's humor original, and Jongin himself has never felt so comfortable with anyone before this. He’s realized this after seeing Kyungsoo for the first time a few months back. 


“Anyway, I really like you.” Jongin says without hesitation. 
They halt in their tracks and Jongin sees a tinge of red on Kyungsoo's cheeks, which he finds really endearing.

 

Kyungsoo’s lips curl into a nervous smile as he slowly meets Jongin’s gaze and all Jongin ever wants to do at that moment is place his lips over Kyungsoo's own.


Kyungsoo stares at him for a moment longer, as if letting every single thought sink in to the deepest crevices of mind.  ‘Did Jongin just confess?’ 


“I just want you to know that you make me happy, Kyungsoo,” Jongin murmurs these simple words with a strong cadence, nervousness slowly creeping into his voice. “And I really want you to be mine. I guessed I felt I was going crazy or I just felt lonely… But I’ve had it with being deceived, mistreated, and unloved.”

 

Jongin vividly recalls his dark past. He remembers how his dad had left his mother behind for another woman, and how his mother had succumbed to her illness a few months after. Nothing ever seemed to go right between him and his girlfriend either.

 

 Jongin has since then lost his belief in love, and has always thought of it as a deception that breaks hearts and minds. Love had destroyed everything he ever fought for, and loneliness had become his constant companion since that day.


His life has since then been hell on earth, until these two angels came into his life. He remembers how Junmyeon and Kris had helped him stand up on his two feet once again. With their assistance, they enabled him to return to school and settle back into a normal life. He slowly put himself back together despite the lingering pain, because he understands that he’s had it better than most people, and he should be thankful for it. 



“Then you came along,” Jongin smiles and takes Kyungsoo’s hands into his own, gripping them gently, never letting go.


“The first time I saw you, you—” he chuckles, remembering how Kyungsoo got his attention. “Literally speaking, you left me breathless.”

 

It is Kyungsoo’s turn to chuckle this time, because he remembers how he was asked to sing in front of the class that day. He saw an unfamiliar face at the back of the class sitting beside Chanyeol, which made him feel a little bit more nervous because of the new audience. 


That was the first time Jongin saw him; a pair of doe eyes, plump heart-shaped lips- with a perfect nose slope, and a heavenly voice similar to that of an angel. 



Jongin had not realized he’s been holding his breath until Kyungsoo had finished singing a few lines. He shakes his head as he realizes that he completely forgot about everything around him for a while; it felt like it was only him and Kyungsoo. 


Dazed by Kyungsoo’s charm, he makes sure he gets the boy’s number by the end of the class. He thanks Chanyeol for letting him sit in their music class that day.


After that first meeting, they became close friends – even closer to each other than to their own friends. Needless to say, people were shocked, because both Kyungsoo and Jongin were quite well-known inside the campus. To everyone, Kyungsoo is the boy with the golden voice, and Jongin is the one with such fluid moves, but they’ve never really seen each other until the day Jongin sat in Kyungsoo’s class. 

To the both of them, Jongin is just Jongin, and Kyungsoo is just Kyungsoo.



“You gave me hope, Kyungsoo. You became my light.” He sighs as he hears the leaves rustle in the soft breeze. The weather is just right for them – not too scorching, yet not too cold.

 

Today is simply perfect and Jongin is more than happy just to be able to spend the day with Kyungsoo.


Jongin thinks he’s fallen in love completely the night Kyungsoo tells him that storms don't last forever. It gives him a newfound strength to keep holding on, and for the first time in a long while, Jongin thinks he can start believing in love again.


To him, Kyungsoo is love, hope, light, and all good things. 


Kyungsoo is silent as he listens to Jongin's words; his feelings so overwhelmed he thinks he could cry right then and there. He gazes at Jongin again, and he never wants to look away.


“At first, I was scared. A part of me wanted to ignore my feelings and just believe that you were just playing games with me. I was thinking I was crazy to have the feelings I was beginning to have for you. I was really upset with myself with the way I was feeling. You knew I hated love; I was bitter, but you pushed it all away. You’re so— I don't know, you're so damn nice to me.” Jongin huffs as he blinks away the tears. Jongin is grateful to have a friend like him because Kyungsoo is simply the best. 


It’s precisely why he realized that Kyungsoo deserves more love than he could ever give.


When Jongin injured his hip after a tough interschool competition, Kyungsoo was there to stay the night. When he forgot to do his homework, Kyungsoo was there to help him. When he’s sad, Kyungsoo was there to make him feel better. His presence comforts Jongin, and Jongin decides he wants Kyungsoo by his side forever. 


Kyungsoo is the third angel who saved him just as he’s about to fade, and he is eternally grateful for this.





“I tried to fight these feelings off but they were just too powerful for me to ignore. I tried to convince myself that this can’t be real, because you're too good to be true; and I feel like if by chance, you don't deserve someone like me. It made me look stupid.”


"You’re so stupid to even think that way, Jongin. You know that? I thought you’re smart, huh?" Kyungsoo laughs. He’s been waiting for this day to come and he can't believe that it's finally happening. 



“Then that night when you stayed in again, helping me with things I cannot do, I felt useless. Even as your friend, I felt like you don’t deserve to have a friend like me. I was mad, I was crazy. I pushed you away but you were still there, Soo. I'm thankful you stayed.” He closes his eyes, thinking how dumb he was before, not thinking well enough and not realizing that he's already hurting his best friend’s feelings. 

 
“You loved me when I couldn’t love myself, Soo.”

 



Kyungsoo looks up at him; he feels relieved but he can still feel his hands getting sweaty. 


They gaze at each other’s eyes, sending hidden messages; their stares were nothing but a feeling of sincerity, love, and honesty. 


Kyungsoo feels the same way, of course, he has loved Jongin ever since he met him. He never thought that Jongin feels the same way as well, because he knew thought that Jongin didn’t like men; but here he is now, confessing to him like a hopeless romantic teenage girl. 


“I’ve been waiting for you. I’ve waited years for someone like you, Kyungsoo. Now, you're here. I'm just—” Jongin looks intently at Kyungsoo's eyes, smiling sweetly, at loss for words. He wants Kyungsoo to know that everything's clear to him now. 


Somewhere inside of him, Kyungsoo feels a warm pleasure; something that feels so beautiful that's making his heart flutter. He suddenly feels alive. 


“I’m in love with you, Soo. I love you.” Jongin says carefully. Kyungsoo's breath hitches, something akin to a gasp after keeping the nervousness for too long. 



Everything is perfect. He doesn’t answer right away, instead he hugs Jongin tight. Slowly locking him inside of his arms, and his cheek pressed against the crook of Jongin's neck. 




Tears starts to brim in his eyes; if he is Jongin's hope, Jongin is his own hope as well. 

After all those years of feeling alone and scared, Jongin is finally here, making him feel braver each day.



Holding on and not giving up is worth the pain. You only need to be patient, because good things come to those who wait. Kyungsoo thinks to himself.


Jongin sighs in relief as he hears Kyungsoo respond with the words, “I love you too, Jongin. So much.” He pulls away, leaving a small gap between them and he stares at Kyungsoo’s tear-filled eyes. He wipes the tears on Kyungsoo’s cheeks and places his lips on Kyungsoo’s gentle ones, sharing their first kiss. 


“One day, I’m gonna let the world know that you’re mine.” Jongin mutters in between the kisses, even smiling in between. 



Finally after those hidden admirations, their hearts had spoken up. Fiinally relieved to find each other's happiness.





Jongin smiles as he recalls the old days because today, he's going to make history. 



The sun’s up bright, following Jongin as he runs through the streets to his office with a big smile plastered on his face. He never felt happier and excited and at the same time nervous in his life before. 





"Jongin, as I’ve expected. You’re here first, like the usual." Suho smiles and walks towards his office table. He opens a drawer finding that one thing that should be given out today. 



“Well, I always am, Sir.” Jongin smiles brightly at his boss; Suho himself can feel the light and blithesome aura surrounding the young man. 


“Ready to get your raise?” Suho smiles as he held the envelope. Jongin’s eyes darted; he feels his heart skip a beat on how stark excited about today.


“Yes, of course, Sir. I’ve been waiting for this day to come.” Smiling between his words, Jongin couldn't wait to get everything started. 


“Of course. By the way, where are you going to spend this month's raise for?” Junmyeon raises an eyebrow, although he knows what Jongin will do with the raise. He knows how the young man worked hard for it- making him the employee of the month for 9 months straight now.

 

Everyone knows Jongin’s plan, except Kyungsoo. 


Jongin gulps, suddenly feeling embarrassed. “Umm. As you know, I’ve been saving and earning for—”


“Ah, yes, Kyungsoo.” Suho laughs and Jongin happily agrees because his boss knew what exactly is the cash for. Jongin’s been garrulous about it that even his officemates know about his huge plan. 


“Of course, here you go. Make the best of it, okay?”


“Yes, sir.” Jongin grins as he holds the envelope in his hands. 

 

“Thank you so much.” He bows once more before bolting towards the door. 


“Ah, Jongin!” Suho calls, catching him up between the door. He quickly turns back to his boss. 


“Yes?”


“Just a last minute question to feed my curiosity. How long has it been between you two?”


Jongin smiles as he thought of him and Kyungsoo being together for, "Five years today, Sir." 


“Wow, you guys are incredible. Alright, keep the love and do what you need do.” Suho winks as he sits down on his office chair.


Jongin grins once more and he gives a respectful bow to Suho. He runs out the building right away, heading straight to a jewelry shop. 



“Jongin, wow. It's good to see you again.” Baekhyun greets him in lieu as he enters the shop. 


 


“Good to see you too after like, more than a year?" The jeweler remarks, smiling at him.
 

 


Jongin fishes out his wallet as he gets some cash, feeling contented all of a sudden.

 


“Yes! But now, I'm back. Could I get it today?” He smiles as he hands Baekhyun the money.



“Yes of course!” Baekhyun laughs as he prepares the ring. He willingly wanted to help Jongin in getting the piece of jewelry before; he even generously offered to let him pay a part of it. But Jongin himself didn't want to feel like a burden. Baekhyun assured that it's okay since he's also good friends with Kyungsoo, but Jongin says that he'll save it up with his work salary instead.


“You comin’ later, right?” Jongin asks. 


Baekhyun nods and fixes the ribbon. He especially decorated the jewelry box on his own. “Yes of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world.”


“Thank you, Baek!” Jongin sing-songs by the shop entrance, waving goodbye to Baekhyun. 


“You’re the man, Jongin!” Baekhyun cheers, smiling at his happy friend as he watched Jongin run across the street to a flower shop. Now, Baekhyun waits for a wedding invitation.