Always Wondering: Fever Part 2

Always Wondering

Sehun felt heat flush his body and his heart begin to pound like he'd just run a mile. He raised a quivering hand to his lips, touching them as if to make sure they were still there.

 

He did. He kissed me. WHY DID HE KISS ME?! Sehun screamed internally, leaping up off the bed and backing up to the door. When his back hit the doorframe, he paused, staring at the sleeping Luhan with a conflicted expression on his handsome face. Not knowing what else to do with himself, he retreated quickly from the room, shutting the door behind him.

 

“Oh God, what just happened...Does that mean he likes me too? Was he just delirious?” Sehun stumbled around the living room blindly, muttering to himself. His foot suddenly coming in contact with the corner of the coffee-table, he hissed in pain and grasped at his foot. The sudden loss of balance caused him to trip backwards over the lamp cord and crash to the floor with a loud onslaught of swearing. After spending another moment verbally ‘expressing his pain’, he relaxed his body and spread all the way out on the floor to stare blankly at the ceiling.

 

Damn it. I really do love him... He sighed heavily, covering his eyes with the crook of his elbow. Back in his bedroom, Luhan slept on, oblivious to the boy causing disasters in the living room.

 

 


 

“Honeys, we’re home!” Baekhyun sang out as he opened the front door, followed closely by the rest of Exo, most of whom were grumbling and massaging sore muscles. “Whoa.” Baekhyun was stopped in his tracks by the very strangest view. The whole dorm smelled of something absolutely delicious, the floors were sparkling, and the band’s enormous dvd and video game collection appeared to have been rearranged by genre and then alphabetized. Sehun materialized in the doorway of the kitchen. He was wearing an apron, had flour smeared on one cheek, and was brandishing a whisk.

 

“I...made...dinner...” He droned gloomily, trying a smile that turned out more like a grimace.

 

“Dear lord, what happened to you?” Xiumin demanded, eyebrows scrunched together.

 

“Yeah, are you sick too, Mr. ‘I’m too handsome to do housework’?” D.O. raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms, giving Sehun a long look up and down.

 

“He. Hehe.” Sehun exhaled a semblance of a laugh, thoroughly creeping out his fellow bandmates. He turned slowly, stiffly around and disappeared back into the kitchen. The other boys exchanged looks of amusement, concern, and interest.

 

“Do you think Luhan turned into a demon and ate his soul?” D.O. asked the group pleasantly, casually amused by the enormous change that had come over his maknae.

 

“Maybe he’s really grumpy when he’s sick?” Tao offered as an explanation. Lay twitched his lips to the side and slowly rubbed the back of his neck.

 

I wonder what happened... He thought, turning towards his bedroom. He stepped slowly down the hall and opened his bedroom door. Luhan was curled in a little ball in his bed, piled high with blankets. A box of tissues, fever medication and a large glass of water were on the bedside table. Sehun had obviously been taking good care of him, so what had happened? Lay entered the room and began to change his clothes, at the sudden movement, Luhan opened his eyes and whimpered.

 

“Lay?” He mumbled. “Is that you?”

 

“Yes it’s me. How are you feeling?” Lay asked with interest, pulling a clean shirt over his head.

 

“I don’t know. That fever medicine Suho put out for me is really strong...I think I fell asleep as soon as I took it...” He sat up slowly, crinkling his nose in discomfort.

 

“Have you eaten yet today?”

 

“I...don’t remember...” Luhan suddenly looked a little panicked. “Is that bad?” Lay finished changing and sat on his bed, thinking for a moment about this statement.

 

“No,” He soon decided. “You were probably just a little delirious, and fever medication usually has a mind-numbing effect on people.” Lay walked over to Luhan’s bed and leaned down, putting his hand to the older boy’s forehead. “Well, you feel like your fever’s gone down. Now, do your feel like getting up and coming to eat dinner? Sehun cooked, if you can believe it.”

 

“Really? I’ve never seen Sehun cook before. I hope it tastes alright.” Luhan sniffed, pulling his slippers on and taking one of the blankets from his bed to use as a shawl. Lay helped him shuffle out of their shared room and into the kitchen where the rest of the group was gathered around the large kitchen table.

 

“Hey! Look who’s up!” Xiumin crowed happily, standing up to pull out a chair for the flushed and bleary Luhan. Luhan plopped into the seat and snuffled through the questions the other boys shot at him about his day, how he was feeling etc. etc.

 

“Here. Eat.” Sehun droned, suddenly appearing with an enormous pot in his hands, setting it carefully on the table. Then, to everyone’s surprise, he returned to the counter only to come back with two large platters. The members of Exo watched in fascination as he piled more and more food onto the table, all of it steaming and smelling absolutely wonderful. On his sixth trip to the table, Suho placed a hand on his arm.

 

“Um, Sehun, I think this is enough food for now. You may break the table if you bring any more...”

 

“But... What do I do with the rest of it? This is only half of what I made...” Sehun blinked down at him.

 

“He’s scaring me. This is like ‘Invasion of the Body-Snatchers’.” Tao whispered loudly to Kris, who gave Sehun an apprehensive look.

 

“We’ll eat the rest tomorrow, I promise. Now sit down and eat.” Suho coaxed gently, leading Sehun to his seat as if he were a small, emotionally fragile child.

 

“Okay.” Sehun trudged to the only empty seat and sat, staring blankly at his plate. For the past five hours, the amount of time that had passed since the kiss, only one thought had been running through his head:

 

He kissed me, what does that mean? He kissed me, what does that mean?

 

He’d ended up absorbing himself in the tasks of cooking and cleaning, just to keep the atoms in his body from going in every direction at once.

 

“Let’s eat, everyone!” Suho yelled, trying to divert the stares from Sehun to the food. It wasn’t really that hard, the boys had been hungry the entire way home, and they fell on the food with relish. Even Luhan managed to eat a little, picking at it slowly. For the first time in living memory, everyone ate until they were full and there was still food left.

 

After dinner, Lay lead Sehun into the living room and sat him in front of the TV, turning on a kdrama. Everyone else then began the process of cleaning up and packing the leftovers into the fridge, a little too worried about Sehun’s obvious breakdown to let him help. Luhan was ordered back to bed by Suho, and he complied without comment, shuffling back through the living room. Suddenly, he stopped, giving Sehun an appraising look.

 

“Um, Sehun?” He sniffed. “Are you feeling okay? Did I give you my flu?” Luhan wondered at him. Sehun turned his head to meet his eyes. Suddenly, he leapt to his feet and, grabbing Luhan by the wrist, dragged him into Lay and Luhan’s shared bedroom, closing the door behind them.

 

“Hyung. I need to ask you something.” He started seriously, leaning his back against the door. “Earlier, after you ate lunch, why did you...?” Sehun struggled to find the right words to ask what he was dying to know.

 

“I ate lunch? Sorry Sehun, I don’t really remember most of what happened today... Lay says it’s because of the fever medicine. Did I do something that upset you?” He blinked his big, fever-shiny eyes at the taller boy, sniffing once. Sehun’s own eyes widened significantly.

 

He doesn’t remember?!

 

There was a long, long, pause.

 

Then...I guess he was delirious... Sehun decided, disappointed. He could feel his eyes itch with oncoming tears. He blinked rapidly, trying to be rid of them. Gosh, why am I so upset? It was only a kiss, how much could I have expected from such a little thing like that?

 

“No, Luhan-hyung. You didn’t upset me at all. Get to bed, you need your sleep.” He muttered huskily, placing one hand on the top of Luhan’s head and ruffling his hair.

 

“Hey, don’t do that. It makes me feel like a girl.” Luhan grumped, stumbling into his bed.

 

“Good night.” Sehun breathed, leaving the room quietly. Just then, Lay appeared, passing him in the hallway. Lay was confused by the expression of sadness on Sehun’s face and entered his room with the intention of asking Luhan what had happened, but the older boy was already asleep. Now, Lay could only wonder what had occurred between his two friends as he drifted off to dream-land.

 

Sehun was, at this point, almost completely unaware of what he did. All he knew was that he needed to be alone, needed to escape the group. He unconsciously went to his own room and, grabbing his towel, managed to walk into the bathroom, strip and get into the shower. As the hot water soothed his skin, he at long, long last allowed the tears he had been holding back to roll down his pale cheeks, telling himself that:

 

You can cry now, but tomorrow you’ll man up and everything will go back to the way it was. But just for now, you can pretend that it meant something...Just... for... now.  He sank to the floor of the shower, and covered his mouth with one hand to choke back the sound of the sobs that shook his shoulders.