"Well that went just great!"

From the top to the bottom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

No, I did not wake up to a beeping sound.
   Nor did I wake up to a bright light.
   I woke up to complete silence. My head was still hurting like hell, and my right eye... well. Even though I hadn't still looked in the mirror, I could feel the enormous bruise covering half of my face. I tried to open my eyes, but there was something cold as ice covering my right eye. Someone was pressing my eye with a package of ice.
   “Come on Miranda, wake up already...” Jiho murmured while pressing the ice gently against my face. Then he lifted the package and placed it on a table.
   “It hurts”, I mumbled when I finally had some strength to open my mouth. I heard him sigh. It was a sigh of relief.
   “Where?”
   “My head.”
   “Well I'm sure it does”, Jiho said. “You look like that blue chick from X-men. What's her name again...”
   “Mystique.” 
   “Right”, he chuckled. “Or the guy with the burned face in Batman-”
   “Seriously?” I asked with a sour taste in my mouth. “I just woke up after getting a nice punch in the face and you're comparing me to some freaky Marvel characters of yours?”
   “Evidently, yes”, he said and took the ice package from the table. “Now be still.” He gently placed the ice on the corner of my eye again, and pressed it slowly. I carefully opened my left eye and examined the place where I was. The first thing I knew for sure, was that I had never been there before. It was a small room with a few beds with white sheets and pillows. “Where are we?” There were a few posters on the wall, saying “Keep calm & use a ” and in the corner of the room, there was a desk and a huge old computer.
   “We're still at school”, he replied. “The nurse wanted to keep you here for a while before calling to the hospital. They're currently driving here.”
   “What? No, no, no, no...” I quickly stood up but Jiho pushed me back down.
   “You have to stay still. She said something about a cer... cerab... cerebral hemorrhage and I'm not quite sure what it means, but it doesn't sound good.”
   I turned my head just an inch to see Jiho's face. He looked a bit tired and bored, but still he was sitting there next to me. He was not going anywhere. Jiho turned his head to look at me, and when he noticed that I was staring at him, he snorted. “What you staring at, smurf!”
   I ignored his “joke” and kept examining his face. The big plump lips and the way his eyebrows almost touched each other when he focused really hard. His very visible jawline, that went all the way from his ears, to the tip of his chin, and his big nose, that actually looked kinda cute when he smiled very widely. As I fell deeper and deeper into my glare, I could feel Jiho's eyes wondering on my face. For a long time, his eyes were resting on my lips, then he looked up and our eyes met. First he looked angry. I'm not sure why, perhaps because my appearance reminded him of Jackson and what he had done to me. Then his eyes melted, it was a look I had never seen before. A caring look. Suddenly a question popped on my mind. “How did you find me?”
   Without breaking the eye contact, he responded. “I looked everywhere. Asked everyone.”
   “Who told you?”
   “No one”, he replied.
   “So you just opened every door of this building?”
   “And turned every table, pretty much yeah.” The longer I looked in his eyes, more safe and warm I felt.
   “Thank you”, I gasped. “For not leaving me.”
   Then Jiho leaned a bit forward and gently brushed the corner of my eye with his soft lips. A tickling feeling spread all over my body, causing my face to heat up. He stayed there for a brief moment, near my face, so that I could smell his sweet cologne mixed to his own scent. “Anytime neighbor.”
   The beautiful moment was interrupted by a knock on the door. Jiho sighed frustratedly and stood up from his chair. I took a deep breath and tried to calm down my racing heart. Jiho opened the door and two nurses stepped in with a young looking doctor.
   “Good afternoon Miss. Viles”, the doctor said professionally. “How are you holding on?”
   “Afternoon”, I mumbled, still a bit out of this world. “I'm good, just a little ache in the head that's all.”
   “I see”, the doctor said and sat down on the chair where Jiho had been sitting just a moment ago. I quickly glanced at him but he seemed a bit drifted off as well. I told the doctor everything that had happened, and Jiho filled up my story here and there, adding some details to when I had been unconscious. After hearing all the details of my pains and feelings, the doctor did the final medical examination and told that I was completely fine. I had survived with a bunch of bruises and a light concussion that had to be observed.
   “Is there anything that could cool

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter