Chapter 2

Kyulice in Wonderland

Slowly Kyuhyun woke up, sweating all over and really, really hungry.

He looked around and to his dismay, he wasn't at home. He had been lying on soft but slightly damp grass and the moon shone brightly on his innocent face.

Kyuhyun wondered. Where am I?

Wookie came out from the shadows and approached Kyuhyun wearily.

Kyuhyun had crawled into an Indian style position and was ready to burst into tears. On seeing this, Wookie dashed over and placed his paw on Kyuhyun's head.

"There, there. It's okay." Wookie cooed soothingly.

Kyuhyun was comforted but scared. "Who are you?" His lower lip trembled dangerously and Wookie didn't know how to deal with a five year old kid.

He whipped out a tattered book on "How to deal with children". He flipped through the book and was confused. He couldn't read the book but guessed the picture was saying that thte child needed to poop.

Wookie glanced at Kyuhyun cautiously. That little boy wouldn't just poop here, would he? Wookie shook Kyuhyun and asked, "Are you...tired?"

Kyuhyun shook his head.

Wookie asked, "Do you need to...poop?"

Kyuhyun frowned. "Why are you asking if I need to poop, ahjussi?"

Wookie was offended. "Did you just call me ajhussi?"

Kyuhyun nodded his head nonchalantly.

Wookie sighed, exasperated. "Call me Wookie okay Kyuhyun?"

Kyuhyun tilted his head to one side, "Cookie?" He clapped his hands excitedly. "Cookie!" He rubbed his stomach in anticipation.

Wookie widened his eyes in realization. So that's what Kyuhyun wanted!

Wookie gestured for Kyuhyun to follow him and the boy toddled clumsily after the rabbit who moved in agile quick .

~~~~~~~           ~~~~~~~

Soon after the years that passed, Kyuhyun grew up only knowing Wookie and Chullie, the mad hatter. They also called Kyuhyun "Kyulice" as a nickname though no one knew the reason why. You don't question Chullie for something he did.

Kyuhyun spent the time playing with the creatures in the forest and never remembered his childhood. He was greatly upset at his "amnesia" and often wondered what life was like before.

Soon and slowly, it was approaching his 16th birthday and he noticed how different Wookie and Chullie were acting around him.

They whispered behind his back secretly and were always nervous. In other words, Kyuhyun was left out and he didn't like it one bit.

They treated him as if he was made of porcelain and Kyuhyun was unhappy about it. He craved freedom but he never once stepped out of this forest.

He longed to visit the outside world and cried silently at night, his tears seeping into the soil. He slept on a bed fashioned out of leaves. Wookie would always be by his side, acting as a hot water bottle. Chullie was also always somewhere close but Kyuhyun had never seen him sleep once. Chullie was somehow always wide awake.

Kyuhyun often thought if he was the odd creature. No one looked like him. No one. Wookie had so many rabbit friends and Chullie had a wife, Hangeng.

What about him?

Seriously. He needed to know. His desire to know who he was, where he came from, and who were his family was killing him slowly.

On his 16th birthday, Kyuhyun had gotten tired and fed up of life. He didn't even remember it was his birthday. He snuggled in closer to his bed and breathed in the earthy smell.

He stared at the slowly rising sun and sighed. Who am I? He begged for something to tell him.

Wookie and Chullie crept up from behind and surprised Kyuhyun but he had no response. They saw his face streaked with tears and gasped. Kyuhyun was crying? Wookie bit his lip and he wanted to cry too. Chullie didn't say anything but his own heart was breaking for the boy.

Kyuhyun flung his arms around Chullie and sobbed.

"Why don't I know myself? Why? Why...." His wails trailed off to little sniffles and with every "Why" he mentioned, he gave a punch to Chullie. It wasn't meant to physically hurt Chullie but a way to vent his anger. Still, Chullie felt his heart aching for the innocent boy who just wanted to know his identity.

Wookie casted a look at Chullie. It's time.

Chullie nodded his head in agreement reluctantly. He wanted to hold this off for as long as they can. They didn't know how Kyuhyun would react to this news and frankly didn't want to know.

Wookie piped up, "Kyuhyun...we arranged a party for you but there is something we need to tell you."

Kyuhyun grew confused but also anticipated whatever Wookie was going to say. 

In his coat, Wookie reached for a letter that was yellowed at its edges.

"Read it and follow the instructions. Soon you will know what you seek... Perhaps we could celebrate your birthday after that, if you still want to." With that, Wookie and Chullie sended a last sad look at Kyuhyun and went away.

Kyuhyun opened the letter carefully so as not to tear it. He sat down on the grass and started to read. He had been taught how to read by the wise caterpillar of the forest.

He read out aloud.

Dear Kyuhyun,

This must be your 16th birthday if you are reading this. I just needed to explain to you.

Right now, you should be in the forest with Wookie who I instructed to take care of you. I knew your mum personally. She was my...my...Well, I am your father. But I already had a wife. I know this is so wrong but I couldn't help it. You mother reeled me in hook line and sinker. 

What I didn't know was that she was just a mere mortal and she had cancer. In my realm, nobody fell ill with cancer. When I say she was a mere mortal, I didn't mean it to sound bad. She felt magical to me and I thought she was from my realm but alas, she wasn't.

Right now, you might hate me after you read this. I left your mother alone while she was pregnant with you. I'm sorry, I had to. I needed to go back and rule my realm again.

I often went back to the cottage to visit tour mother who as she steadily went through her pregnancy, also was sickly. She was determined to have you to serve as evidence of our love and she also longed to have kids of her own to love and take care.

But as most people know, fate is cruel. We thought that she could last longer but when you were 5 years old, she knew she was dying. She wrote a letter to me and went away to her grave and died there. I buried her in.

I promised her that I would take care of you. But as of now, I can't. My realm is in turmoil so I left Wookie to take care of you on my behalf.

This is all I have to say. But I think you would want to know how your mother is like. 

Follow what I say.

Go to the big oak tree in the heart of the forest. In that tree, you have to find a necklace. That was your Mum's and I think it's high time i give it back to you. It's a locket so inside I presume there is a picture. Go ahead and look.

Then, after looking, you will feel a sense of walking in that one direction. Just follow your instincts and go. There, you will find out more than I can ever tell you.

P.S. Your mother named you Kyuhyun after a part of her own name- Lee Soonkyu.

Yours sincerely,

The King

Kyuhyun's jaw dropped and he slumped onto the floor. That was a lot for him to take in. He had always hoped he would get to know his parents. Now he found out that it was impossible to contact his mother. Forever.

At least he still had a father right? But he had no memory of his father. Did that mean that he wasn't around for Kyuhyun when he was younger?

He felt a warm glow in his stomach and fondly recalls his mother's gentle smile. The memories of his childhood was hazy but at least he got something and something is always better than nothing.

He got up on his feet, motivated to find his mother's necklace and whatever else the King, his father, had to offer.