Broken

In The Hands Of Fate

January 1st, 2014, 5:00PM

“Dr. Song, is Kyungsoo really awake? Can I go see Kyungsoo right now?!?”
“Of course, but you should also make sure you’re mentally prepared before you go in.” the doctor warned Jongin.
Mentally prepared? Jongin had no clue what the doctor meant. Why should he be mentally prepared before finally seeing Kyungsoo? It has almost been nearly a year since the accident for God’s sake, Jongin has been waiting forever for this very moment since that night.
When Jongin ran in, his eyes and full attention were automatically on the small quiet male laying on the white hospital bed.
“Kyunsoo-ah, how are you feeling?” “What happened that night?” “When can you be released?”
Questions spat out of Jongin’s mouth left and right non-stop. But this didn’t cause Kyungsoo to waver at all from his usual stoic behavior. This was the part Kyungsoo knew and loved best about Jongin. Once he shows interest in someone and develops feelings for them, Jongin will care and love for them no matter what. Kyungsoo had hoped this would also apply for his current situation as well. He wanted Jongin to love him unconditionally, no matter what.

“Jongin, listen.”
It has been almost a year since Jongin last heard Kyungsoo’s voice, and he wasn’t liking that fact that his usual calm and softness of his tone was no where to be found.
“Hyung…...is something…..wrong with you?”

These words left Jongin’s mouth slowly in stuttered chunks. Kyungsoo slowly blinked his wide rounded eyes as if he was trying to slowly comprehend these words into his own brain. “Wrong” wasn’t the best word that could have been used to describe Kyungsoo’s situation. In fact, handicapped seemed much more appropriate. Jongin continued innocently staring at Kyungsoo’s eyes hoping for his hyung to comfort him with his signature warm heart-shaped smile and ease the tensions quickly forming between the two.
“My legs are paralyzed…...I’m a cripple, Jongin.”
“I don’t know when or will I ever be able to walk again.” Kyungsoo calmly continued.

All Jongin could say was “Oh.”
He now understood what Dr. Song meant by “Mentally prepared.”

Kyungsoo nodded, although he looked different. He wasn't the Kyungsoo he was before. His heart-shaped smile was there, but it was no longer the same. There was no glint in his eyes, they looked gloomy and troubled.  

Jongin wanted to say more, he wanted to say it'll be okay, that he'd be by his side, but a certain brunette walked in.

"Jongin?" He went right to Jongin's side.

"Baek? Why are you here...?"

"Sehun told me." He shrugs nonchalantly.

Kyungsoo observed them from the hospital bed.

"Oh, Baekhyun, this is Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo this is Baekhyun." Baekhyun politely bowed and then went back to holding Jongin’s arm.

To this, Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow.

"Are you guys dating or something?"

Before Jongin could speak Baekhyun smiled bashfully, "Sort of."

And in front of Kim Jongin's eyes, Do Kyungsoo broke.


Jongin stood there like a lost child with Baekhyun’s arm frozen around his own. Jongin didn’t know how to comfort people, especially people that were crying because of the results of his own impulsive actions. Kyungsoo was usually the one who always soothed Jongin’s pain when he went through rough times. He was also the only one that knew the perfect remedy to instantly stop Jongin’s tears from continuing, puppies. Consoling was always Kyungsoo’s job, they both knew this very well without a doubt.

Jongin stayed as still as a statue for God knows how long watching Kyungsoo weep silently into his pillow. What hurt Jongin’s heart the most was the position Kyungsoo was laying in while he was crying. Kyungsoo couldn’t move his legs by himself anymore, so he had instinctively relied on his hips for the most support. This had left his small fragile body half twisted. His legs were still laying straight flat on the bed, but his body from the waist up was turned towards the right, away from Jongin and the brunette male, as his arms covered his face with the pillow. It was a heartbreaking and unpleasant sight for anyone to see. And the sound of Kyungsoo’s muffled soft sobbing didn’t help either. Jongin knew he was mediocre when it came to stopping tears. But he was also aware that he had to somehow at least stop Kyungsoo’s tears. But he did nothing. He didn’t want Kyungsoo to see his face, the face of an unfaithful bastard, the face of an unfaithful bastard standing side by side with his new lover, arms crossed, looking like an official couple. Baekhyun looked uncomfortable, "Should I leave you two alone?"

Jongin nodded, the brunette shoots a sorry look to Kyungsoo before kissing Jongin on the lips and leaving.

"He loves you."

Kyungsoo turned, his cheeks were pink and his eyes were a light shade of red.

Jongin nods.

"And you love him?"

Jongin wanted to say ‘no’. That Kyungsoo was the only one, that he waited like the faithful person he swore he’d be.
“I-I…”
“Save it.” Kyungsoo smiled, “I’m glad you found someone you love. I wish you both the best.”