Kris' Summer

Kris' Summer (Goodbye, Summer)

Through His Eyes

 

Running away is a petty act especially for a man in his twenties, but here I am wandering the streets of New York city.
Don't ask me how I got here or why I'm even here. Just know that, I need time.
I need time to breath.
 
I was in a shanty bar drinking cheap beer while surrounded by rowdy college jocks.
But I was safe here; no one would recognize me and no one would care which was exactly what I wanted.
 
"April! April!" a decent looking white guy called after a smaller asian girl, his girl?
"Let go of me!" she yelled as she stormed out of the bar. People glanced towards their direction, most immediately went back to their own conversations. However, I couldn't take my eyes off their reflection through the thick foggy windows.
 
It was as if I was watching a silent movie. She yelled. He pleaded. He obviously is at fault and she is unforgiving.
The : her hand raises up to slap him but he quickly grabs her wrist. They pause and exchange glares.
She lost.
He walks back inside the bustling bar as she just stands there in defeat. He walks past me and sits back down in his seat next to another girl, his mistress... his girl.
 
This was enough for me, it was time for me to head back to my hotel. I slid my bill towards the bartender and swiftly left the lively bar of strangers
She was still standing there. I stood away from her and began to light the cigarette I just slipped in between my lips.
I let out a puff of smoke into the darkness as I slid my thumb across the black 'Marlboro' printed on this flimsy red box.
 
" you." she mumbled, I raised an eyebrow as I looked towards her. Her appearance was tidy but the look in her eyes, her heart, was a mess.
She glanced at me, instead of looking away I locked eyes with her. Seconds past and I let out the smoke. It was broken when a drunk couple stepped out of the bar and stumbled past us.
I looked back at her but she was now frantically looking through her clutch. She was looking for something...
"Damn it." she said, in a split second her eyes turned towards me. I felt her stare but I didn't dare turn.
 
"Can I have one?" she asked while turning her lean body towards me. I finally glanced at her and then looked down at the flimsy box in my hand.
I flipped open the top and offered it to her. She quickly took one and put it between her lips; that was just enough relief for her.
"Light?" I asked while pulling out my lighter. She hesitated... but nodded. She's not a frequent smoker, I can tell.
 
I cupped the cigarette and set it ablaze for her. She took a deep breath in; I saw her eyes slowly close as her mind relaxed.
"April." someone said as they stuck their head out the door. She must be her friend.
"I'm fine." she said before they could even say anything.
"I'll take you home, you shouldn't even be near a bastard like him." her friend said as she glared at the  'ex-boyfriend'.
"I'm really okay. I can go home by myself..."
"Okay..." her friend muttered but she took a glimpse at me before going back inside.
 
"Thanks." she said to me. I just nodded; at that moment my phone buzzed.
 
I slipped it out of my pocket and read the caller ID "Tao". I shook my head and shoved it back into my pocket. The phone's vibration sent chills up my spine and tears around my eyes... he's been calling all night.
 
I felt her eyes scanning me up and down. She wasn't afraid to stare and neither was I. Swiftly moving my vision towards her, her expression never changed as she said. "I'll buy you a shot... looks like you need it more than I do."
 
She flicked the cigarette into the ashtray as she opened the door back into the bar.
I looked up at her... I followed behind her.
 
Without a word, we continuously took shots of vodka. Her friends approached us but she shooed them away. Our eyes never left each other, shot after shot we were still entranced.
 
"Round 2?" she asked, I smirked and just shook my head in rejection.
"Come on~ there's another bar just down the road." she smiled as she swayed back and forth on her stool.
"Ha... it, let's go." I smiled in defeat as I stood up to leave, but my head was spinning. She paid and quickly followed behind me.
 
"April!" her friends called after her.
"Please leave me alone... just for tonight." she said with a reassuring look.
"Call me in the morning." her friend pleaded.
 
April looked at her ex who was still sitting in a booth. He stood up to walk towards her. With a suave smirk she flashed him the middle finger while wrapping her arms around my waist.
"Let's go before I get more ing sober." she whispered while pushing me out the door.
 
We held each other up as we walked down the dark yet bustling street. Our next stop was  more of a small club; however, we opted for the bar.
"Jack and coke." she ordered.
"Make that two." I added.
 
"So what's your name?" she asked while putting all her attention on me.
"Kris."
"Hm... Kris" she repeated while nodding along to the electronic music that blared in the background.
"April?" I asked sarcastically; I've heard it repeatedly tonight.

She smiled and began to chuckle in amusement.
"Call me Summer."

"Summer?" I asked, she nodded while taking a sip of her drink.
"Alright, Summer."
"So where are you from, Kris?" She asked. I paused and took a long sip of my drink.
"Canada."
"Canadian eh?" she teased.
"You?" I asked.
"I guess I'm from around here." she bit her bottom lip.
"You guess?" I asked and she nodded.
"Okay, Summer."

I turned my head towards her. Tears were trickling down her cheeks.
"..." she mumbled while wiping them away. Her eyes caught sight of mine... we interlocked again.
"Why'd you follow me? You probably think I'm crazy." she said while swallowing down the tears.
"This is why." I said while relaxing my glance. She understood... Our stare never broke.
 
"My boyfriend cheated on me." she said while drinking the rest of her Jack and Coke.
"I could tell."
"I had no idea until tonight... and we've been dating for 3 years."
"But you know what's even more ed up?" she added, it was a rhetorical question but her eyes pleaded for a response.
"What?"
"All my friends and his friends knew, everyone knew... except for me." her bottom lip quivered. I slid my drink towards her, she grinned and took a sip of it.
"I was ing naive." she said while letting out a breath and a soft cry. Suddenly, her hands grabbed for my shirt, down my waist and into my pants pocket.
"What the-" I said until I realized what her goal was.
 
The flimsy box slipped into her fingers and as if she was quickly losing oxygen, she frantically grasped the cigarette and shoved it between her pink lips.
"Damn it..." she sighed as she set her head down on the bar. A glistening stream of tears fell from her eyes onto the black counter that reflected off the vibrant club lights.
 
I set my head down on the bar just like she did. We were finally physically eye-to-eye.
The music was muffled in my ears, all I could hear was a deafening buzz.

 
"I ran away... because I couldn't deal with my own ing problems." I said, she slowly batted her eyelashes as she opened her ears.
"I couldn't handle it, and I didn't know what to do. I was selfish; I didn't care if the people around me got hurt. I'm a bastard..."
"A selfish bastard" I whispered while closing my eyes.
 
I felt a sudden warmth on my forehead and the touch of her lips; she kissed my forehead.
My eyes opened to see her just inches away from me while a discarded unlit cigarette laid between us.
"You are a selfish bastard..." she said, her lips curved up to form a smile.
"But you can always change, and people can always forgive."

For the first time ever since I left, I wanted to go back. Back to Seoul. Back to my brothers. Back to my fans.
"Others might say that people never change... but that's not true. Everything and everyone goes through changes whether they like it or not; it's inevitable."
"Thanks, Summer."
 
We matched perfectly; from our glances to our smiles, all the way down to our souls.
 
"It's late... We should go." I said as my mind began to sober up. She nodded.
 
Stumbling out of the club, we walked back down the road towards the bar where we first met.
"Can you get home?" I asked her.
"I think so..." she let out a breath that had an underlying stench of cheap vodka and whiskey.
"Taxi" I reluctantly called while standing on the side of the street.
 
A taxi pulled up and I opened the door for her. She walked towards the open door but hesitated.
"Do you want to spend the night with me?" Summer suddenly asked.
"Hell no! You're drunk, go home." I said while lightly pushing her.
"Sorry, you can go ahead." she said to the taxi driver while slamming the door shut. Her mischievious yet sheepish smile sent tingles throughout my body.
 
We stood face-to-face on the sidewalk.
"What are you doing?" I asked in confusion.
"Let's be honest... after tonight we probably won't see each other again. So lets make the most of it." she said excitedly.
 
I chuckled and shook my head in disbelief.
"You're really -faced drunk, aren't you?" I mumbled while rubbing my forehead.
"No really, come on Kris~ I'll give you a quick tour of NYC." she said.
"No, it's late." I said, let's be rational.
 
"April!" Her ex-boyfriend stepped forward with his other girl.
"You're still here?" he asked while glaring at me.
"Let's go, I'll take you home." he said worriedly to her. Her expression changed as she took a step back.
"No... I can go hom-"
"Don't worry. I'm gonna take her home, thanks though." I impulsively said while wrapping my arm around her shoulders. She looked up at me in surprise.
"Who the are you?" he said while furrowing his eyebrows.
"Call me Kris." I said.
"Let's go..." she begged while hugging me tightly.
"Okay, Summer."
"Summer?" her ex questioned as we walked past him.
 
I felt like my heart was pumping twice as much blood because my adrenaline was rushing.
"So tour guide, where's our first destination?" I asked her.
That's when I saw one of the brightest smiles that I've ever seen before; Summer's smile.
 
Her eyes lit up in joy and her pearly teeth glistened even in the dark.
"I'll show you the best view of the city!"
 
We grabbed a taxi and headed off somewhere, I had no idea where we were going but I didn't care.
Once the taxi stopped, we shuffled out of the car to find ourselves in the heart of the city. Lights flashed here and there while people loudly chatted and bustled through.
"Over here~" Summer said while pulling my hand.
 
She led me down the street and into an alley until we reached a parking complex.
"Parking?" I asked while raising an eyebrow; all she did was smile.
 
We walked inside this empty parking structure and took the sketchy elevator up to the top floor.
"No one's ever here at this time. I like to come here with my friends or even alone." she said.
 
The elevator dinged as we arrived to our destination.
"Close your eyes!" she demanded.
"Why?"
"Do it~" I obeyed and closed my eyes. Summer grabbed both my hands and led me out of the elevator.
I felt a cool breeze swoop past us. Also, I could hear the muffled noise of chatting and honking coming from the streets.

 
"Open!" Summer said as she let go of my hands.
A dazzling skyline was painted before my eyes. Everything from the Empire State building to the forests of Central Park.
"Beautiful right?" she asked. I gaped at the amazing view.
 
Sure, the view from my hotel room is great. However, this felt different.
Maybe because it was 2am? or maybe because we're drunk? or maybe because of... Summer?

 
We silently stood against the railing. I felt her eyes on me so I slowly turned towards her.
"You know... you're really handsome." Summer said out of nowhere; I smirked.
"People have told you that before, right?" she asked.
"Haha I guess you can say that."
"It's a shame that you're so dark."
"What?" I asked her.
"Your eyes... they're dark and saddening. I can't help but to stare at them."
"Is that why you kept staring at me?" I teased.
"Hey, what about you then?" she rebutted
"I don't know what you're talking about." I grinned while resting my chin on the palm of my hand.

She took a step forward while looking right into my eyes. The tips of our shoes were practically touching and I could smell her light fragrance.
"What do you see in my eyes?" she asked longingly.
"Chaos, an utter mess." I smirked, her jaw slightly dropped in shock. I lightly gripped her chin and closed it.
"But sometimes they're so bright, it's blinding."

I swiftly kissed her lips as my hand protectively cupped her cheek. Her arms wrapped around the back of my neck. I pressed her body close to mine; enclosing her in my warmth. Our lips parted to gasp for air and we just stared at each other but it was different now.
 
She hugged me tightly, I squeezed her lightly while setting my chin on the top of her head.
We stood there frozen like this just watching the city move past us.
 
"I'll take you home." I said, she looked up at me with a slight frown but nodded. I naturally held her hand, entangling our fingers together.
Her apartment was just down the road. It was a high-rise in the middle of the city... That's when a million questions jumbled through my head.
Who is Summer?
 
"It's here..." she said.
"Go inside" I said suavely. She turned to leave but I quickly turned around; I couldn't watch her walk away.

Suddenly my head pounded from the alcohol rushing to my brain, and my stomach churned in ravaging waves.
"Ugh..." I groaned while bending over to throw up. I kept gagging until my eyes watered but nothing came out.
"Kris!" she yelled while running towards me.
"Are you okay?" she patted my back as I nodded.
"Let's go inside" Summer helped me up. I heaved for air trying to overcome this nauseous feeling.
 
We were in the elevator but this enclosed area wasn't helping. I leaned against the railing.
"Kris, take deep breaths." she said while lightly caressing my cheek.
She helped me out of the elevator onto the 20th floor. Summer fumbled through her bag for her keys; she was barely sober.
"Come inside."
 
I feasted my eyes on a black sofa; immediately I laid down on the cool leather.
"Lay on your side, here's a trashcan." she said while rubbing my back. I closed my eyes. My insides were turning but nothing was coming up, only gagging.
 
When I opened my eyes, Summer was gone. Where did she go? I slowly sat up but my head pounded again.
Where's Summer?

 
"Lay down! lay down!" she scolded me while scurrying over with a white mug.
"It's honey and ginger tea; it'll help." I took a sip of the warm drink and laid down again.
"Get some rest." she said while standing up to leave. I instantly grabbed her wrist. Her eyes widened as she looked back at me.
"Don't leave my side... please." a small smile appeared on her face as she nodded in agreement. She sat beside the sofa while resting her head on it; her eyes were on me.
 
"Feeling better?" she asked.
"Yeah." I grinned while making room on the sofa. I patted the empty space in front of me, motioning for her to lay down.
Summer smiled while crawling up onto the sofa. I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her close to me.
 
I admit, I've had one night stands and other similar experiences but this was different. I didn't want her body or adoration.
All I wanted from Summer was her warmth, her smile and the way she looked at me.
 
"I swear, I don't do this with all the guys I meet for the first time." she joked.
"So I'm special?" I asked, Summer giggled softly.
"Maybe..." she suddenly gave me a peck on the lips, and I returned the gesture. However, her expression stiffened and she looked away from me.

"Kris..." she practically whispered.
"Yeah, Summer?"
"Is this it for us? like... after tonight."
"What do you mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows.
"We're gonna have to go back to our normal lives"
 
She was right... We can't stay like this forever as much as we wanted it to.
We can't be together. She has her own life and I have mine, a life which she has no idea about.
I'm a celebrity and she has to go back to her real self, April.

 
I really hated to do this but I nodded.
Maybe we really are just a one night stand?
 
Summer's eyes glistened when she saw my answer. She nodded along with me.
"It's probably better that way." she swallowed hard while closing her eyes.
"I'm sorry..." I whispered as I pressed my forehead against hers.
"I think I love you... Kris." Summer whispered back as she nervously bit her bottom lip.
 
My chest ached as I felt her true feelings for me, but all I could do was shake my head. I can never be with you, Summer.
"Let's just be together for tonight... that's all I can do for you. I'm sorry, Summer." I tenderly said, she nodded.
"I understand." she forced a smile while holding me tightly.
 
I left soft butterfly kisses against her flawless skin. I never want to let her go...
Our body's intertwined with each other so perfectly.
 
"I'm going to miss you when you're gone..." she said.
"I will too. You have no idea." I closed my eyes. Her finger lightly touched my eyelashes.
"Don't forget about me... about us." Summer said, I slowly opened my eyes to witness her genuine smile.
"Never." I kissed her lips.
 

Soon, Summer fell fast asleep in my arms. I couldn't help but smile at how peaceful she looked. I slowly removed her from my grasp and slipped off the sofa. I looked up at the clock.

Its 4 am. You’re sleeping. I’m crying.

I stared at her peaceful visage through the blurry windows of my eyes. With my soaked hand, I wiped away the tears once again.
That same hand moved towards her porcelain skin; it was warm to the touch. Moving away her miniscule hairs, I could cherish her countenance for one last time. Lastly, I kissed her blissful smile.

I only hope she’s dreaming about me… about us. Because only dreams can last forever.

"Thank you... and I love you"

"Good bye, Summer."

 
-Love, Kris Wu Yifan