You Broke it to Your Heart

I Can't Break it to my Heart

This is in Baekhyun's POV 

 

That was a year ago; Now all we seem to do is fight. All day. Everyday. About the big things. About the small things. We just can't seem to agree on anything. Today, I struck you. We were fighting, screaming, breaking things then something made contact with my hand. A sharp sting and the sound of something stopping. I thought I had thrown something again and you had saved it but no, I had slapped you and my heart felt like it stopped beating. That was it. I knew, right there and then, I had ruined the chance of us ever going back to the way we used to be. 

~ ~ ~

We are a broken couple; always fighting; wondering where we went wrong; wanting to break free from our misery but we can't seem to say goodbye.
I'm now here, at a club, getting myself drunk with random girls hanging off my arm. 
And you, where are you right now? Probably in bed, waiting for me to come back home. To our apartment. To you. 
Why can't I just tell you that I still love you but I don't know how to release myself from the chains of temptation. I can't survive, not without you, so please don't...disappear.

~ ~ ~

We were going to be perfect. We are perfect. We were perfect. 
When did it happen?
Did it happen the first I didn't come home until 1am and you got mad at me?
I just told you that I had been out with friends, having a drink and catching up. 
But honey, I know you're not blind; yes, there was lipstick stains on my collar. 
You slept on the other side of the bed that night. 
Or was it when you found some female underwear that was definitely not yours and you got mad at me?
I just told you that it belonged to my sister who had been staying over at our place while you were away visiting your parents for a week. 
But honey, I know you're not naive; yes, my sister is only 11 years old. 
You slept alone in the bed that night. 
Or was it when I was in the shower and I received a text message from a girl asking if I wanted to come and 'play' with her tonight and you got mad at me?
I just told you that it must've been a wrong number. 
But honey, I know you're not stupid; yes, the text was addressed to me. 
You slept alone in the house that night. 

~ ~ ~

I saw you. Yesterday, standing on the side of the road with shopping bags in your hands. You were still beautiful, receiving looks filled with lust from men. I wanted to run over to you so that they would stop but something stopped me. 

As I looked at you I remembered when this used to be us.

You looked so sad; much sadder than you had been before I started all this. 
Do you still love me? I still love you and you were never a tool just for me to make my way to your best friend - or ex-best friend. It was a coincidence, I swear. 
 
~ ~ ~

Not once have you ever lost my love, even though I'm sure I have lost yours but I don't blame you. 

What was the point of promising I would love you no matter what and yet, I'm still hurting you?

I wish I had never broken that promise. I know that now, but if only I had known that a year ago. Maybe I wouldn't be making you suffer, having to try and convince yourself that I still love you just so you can survive.

~ ~ ~

A week ago, you had gone away on a 2 week long business trip so I figured it was safe. 
I had invited your ex-best friend over and we had done something we had never thought we had the guts to do. I held her like I used to hold you. and names being called out. I had brought someone home. To our house. To our bed. 
I heard things shattering and I came running out to the living room with only a pair of boxers on. The look of pain on your face was evident, which then quickly turn to a look of anger when a female, my partner, your ex-best friend, came running into the room, wearing one of my shirts. 
I started stuttering, trying to think up a reason for my unforgivable actions and we were both apologising, but I couldn't bear to look up and see the pain in your eyes.
"Just shut up Baekhyun. It's far too late for excuses and apologies that we both know you don't really mean."

Your voice coming out cold and hard, which made me looked up startled. 

You shot both of us a dirty look before turning around to pull some papers out of your bag. 

'Oh God, please no!' I started to feel an immense sense of panic rise up.
You placed them on the table, along with your wedding ring. You picked up your bags and started walking out but before you left, you turned around to look at me, I feared that it would be the last time. 
"I think you know what's on those papers. All you need to do is sign and hand them in. You can do whatever with our wedding rings, we won't be needing them anymore. I will come back later to pick up the rest of my stuff, maybe if you could be a dear and even pack all of it for me?" You asked sarcastically.
"Baekhyun, I'm honestly sorry that we ended up this way, but answer this? Who's fault is this? Who ruined everything? You think long and hard. 
Goodbye Baekhyun, I would like to say it was nice knowing you but honestly, I wish we never met. Its harsh, I know, but life always is."
You then turned around and walked out of the door before I could say anything. The door closed behind you and I fell to my knees. Hot, salty tears were running down my face.
"Stupid, you shouldn't be crying! Everything that happened in our entire married life, all I made you do was suffer; making you have to believe that I love you just so you could survive, telling yourself that I was going to come home even though you knew I wasn't going to, you had to ask yourself every single day whether or not it was okay for you to love me just because you couldn't break it to your heart; it was all my fault! You probably already have broken it to your heart. You have finally broken free and now you're going away to be truly happy. But you were always my everything, always was and always will be."
With those heart breaking words coming out from my mouth, I ran out of the apartment and down to the street. I just saw a glimpse of your car driving away before it disappeared from my sight, away from the apartment that was supposed to bring us happiness. 
You were finally freeing yourself and I knew, that my happiness was going to go and find some other happiness somewhere else. 

~ ~ ~

The End

A sequel to the first chapter will be posted later. 

Sorry, this chapter is kind of lame...

~annagracey~

xx