Chapter 5

Marriage with the Demon

Juhyeon could barely hear the teacher’s voice with the heavy raining beating against the windows of the classroom. It had been raining since morning and the cold wind blew against her skin, causing her to shiver. She looked around the class and saw all of her classmates asleep, including Haneul. “What a boring day,” she mumbled to herself, staring at the various formulas written on the whiteboard.

Mr. Kang was the oldest teacher in the school, and he would continue droning on and on even if no one was listening to him; mostly because his vision was failing and he couldn’t tell if one was paying attention or not.

Suddenly, Juhyeon saw the strangest thing happen. Her eyes widened as she watched the and lines on the whiteboard start to dance around, rearranging themselves until they formed the words “Your dress is ready, princess.” She closed her eyes and when she opened them again, the formulas were once again on the board as if nothing had happened.

“Boo!” Jongin hollered the moment he appeared next to Juhyeon. Juhyeon had to bite down on her lower lip to prevent herself from screaming. “Don’t scare me like that!” she whispered, shooting a glare at Jongin. Jongin just shrugged and turned his attention to the old man at the front of the classroom. “Your teacher is really boring,” he commented, shifting his gaze to Haneul, “and your friend is really pretty.”

Juhyeon frowned. “Don’t even try to hook up with Haneul or else I’ll-“ She stopped mid-sentence, not knowing how to continue. Jongin raised an eyebrow. “Or else what?” Juhyeon scratched her head, trying to find something to threaten him with but she just couldn’t. “It’s pretty ridiculous to threaten a devil you know,” Jongin stated, obviously amused. “I know,” said Juhyeon, sighing in defeat.

Jongin checked his watch and shook his head. “Time to try on your dress, princess.” With that, Juhyeon felt herself slip into darkness.

“Princess! How lovely to meet you,” a smartly dressed man greeted Juhyeon. He was wearing a maroon suit and had his hair neatly combed back. His eyes were the same color as Jongin’s – red. “I am Mr. Jo, the royal family’s personal designer. Come with me,” he said, extending a hand towards her. Juhyeon looked at his hand, hesitant to take it.

“Do not worry. My skin does not burn you as I have no royal blood,” he reassured. Juhyeon took his hand and well enough; it didn’t feel like she was on fire. “I have been designing your wedding gown for months and I am extremely excited to see you put in on,” Mr. Jo said. Juhyeon smiled and thanked him as he led her towards one of the rooms on the upper floors of the castle.

The two of them entered the room and to Juhyeon’s surprise, Jongin was already inside and dressed in his suit. It was entirely black, with tiny diamonds embedded along the edge of his collar. “Lord Kai! You look absolutely stunning,” Mr. Jo praised, going over to adjust Jongin’s suit. “Another wonderful piece, I must say, Mr. Jo,” Jongin said, looking very satisfied with his suit.

Mr. Jo let out a flattered laugh before ushering Juhyeon to the changing area. Juhyeon pulled the curtains closed and stared at the dress that was hung next to the mirror. She had to admit, it was beautiful.

Carefully, she put it on and pulled the curtains open. “How do I look?” she asked, turning around so that Mr. Jo could have a good look. “Beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous!” Mr. Jo exclaimed happily, clapping his hands like a seal. “My oh my, you look amazing, princess! It looks better than I expected! What do you think, Lord Kai?” Mr. Jo asked, eyes looking at Jongin expectantly.

Juhyeon looked at Jongin as she played with her fingers nervously. She didn’t know why but she actually wanted him to like it. After all, he was her future husband. “You look beautiful,” he said, a smile spreading across his face. Juhyeon was a little taken aback. For the first time ever, she saw him smile. “Thank you,” she replied, smiling back at him. “You two will make the best-looking couple in royal history!” Mr. Jo chirped, “Lord Kai! Let’s not forget your gloves.” Mr. Jo handed Jongin a black pair of gloves and Jongin slipped it on swiftly.

“Gloves?” Juhyeon questioned. “So that I’ll be able to hold your hands while we say our vows,” Jongin explained. “What are the vows like?” Juhyeon asked, pretty sure that the vows made here and in the human world were different. “There are three simple vows,” Jongin said, walking towards Juhyeon and taking her hands in his. “To be bound forever,” he whispered, inching closer to her with every vow he said. “To live and die together, and,” he pressed his forehead against hers. “To love forever.”


SUPER SHORT UPDATE,  I know. But I've been busy lately and my exams are coming so I'm sorry! Hope you liked this chapter and leave a comment? :D