Chapter 3

Marriage with the Demon

The horrible ring of her phone woke Juhyeon up. “Hello?” she answered, voice hoarse. “Juhyeon! Where are you? You said you left for the toilet but when I went back to class, all your stuff were gone!” Haneul’s voice screamed through the phone. Juhyeon looked around and realized that she was lying on her bed, and her school bag was placed neatly next to her study table. “I-I’m home,” she stuttered. How did she get home? The last thing she could remember was heading to the toilet.

“You could’ve let me know that you were going home. Do you know how freaked out I was to find you gone?” Haneul sighed. Juhyeon’s lips curved into a slight frown. “I’m sorry. I promise it won’t happen again next time,” she said. Juhyeon could hear Haneul’s voice trembling. “J-just get well soon, okay?” Juhyeon nodded, even though Haneul couldn’t see her. “I will. And stop crying! You sound like a baby,” she teased, hoping to cheer her best friend up. Haneul let out a laugh, “Alright, alright. I have to go now, bye!” Both girls hung up and Juhyeon got out of bed to take a quick shower.

The warm water splashed against her skin, calming the muscles in her body. Memories of Lord Taeyong and Jongin came flooding back into her mind, making her feel uncomfortable. “I need to stop having such strange dreams,” she told herself as she slipped a comfortable pair of pajamas on.

Her head wasn’t hurting anymore and she felt more refreshed than she was in the morning. She left the bathroom and screamed in surprise when she saw Jongin sitting on her bed with his arms crossed. He was wearing a black long-sleeved button up shirt with a pair of skinny jeans. His hair was messier than what Juhyeon had remembered and his eyes were glowing red. “Had a good rest?” he asked with no particular emotion in his voice.

Juhyeon shook her head and blinked, not believing what was right in front of her eyes. “This has to be a dream,” she muttered, pinching her right arm. When the stinging pain caused her to yelp and Jongin still remained in his position, Juhyeon couldn’t help but wonder if she had gone crazy. Deciding to ignore him, Juhyeon made her way towards the door.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Jongin appeared right in front of the door, staring down at the innocent and confused girl in front of him. “To the kitchen,” she stated. She mentally slapped herself for talking to someone who couldn’t possibly be real. Thinking that he was just a figment of her imagination, she reached for the doorknob and hoped that her hand would just pass through his body. Instead, her fingers collided with the solid abs of his and she yelped in pain - her entire hand felt like it was on fire.

Jongin let out a low chuckle. “If it isn’t obvious enough, I am a perfectly real and solid human being standing right in front of you. I am not a dream,” he stated bluntly. When the burning sensation in her hand subsided, Juhyeon opened to speak. “What are you?” Once again, Jongin’s lips curved into his signature smirk. “I am a demon, son of Lord Taeyong and prince of The Mellow,” he started, “and you are Kim Juhyeon, daughter of King Junam and princess of Andelphia; land of the Angels.”

“Princess? Angels? This must be some kind of mistake! I’m an ordinary girl, not an angel!” Juhyeon exclaimed in utter disbelief. Jongin shook his head and placed his hands behind his back, pacing around the room. “Ever wondered where you came from? Why nobody knew anything about you?” His questions echoed around the room and when there was no reply, he continued, “War between the Demons and the Angels have been going on for hundreds of years. When you were born, the Mellow Army invaded the castle in Andelphia. In order to save your precious life, the King and Queen sent you down to the human world, where you’d be safe. Ever since that day, our destinies have been written out and it’s a destiny the both of us can’t escape from.”

Juhyeon swallowed down a lump in . “Destiny?” she questioned. Jongin stood by the window, observing the empty road and the trees that swayed as the wind blew. “Our marriage. In order to bring about peace in both our lands, the marriage is a crucial symbolism of the end of the war. It will signify the union of the Demons and the Angels, and the willingness to lay down our arms and work together to bring peace.”

Marriage? She was going to get married to a demon? Juhyeon dreaded the thought of it. “I’m not doing it. I’m not getting married to you,” she declared. A soft sigh escaped Jongin’s lips, followed by a sinister laugh that was similar to Lord Taeyong’s. “Then war will continue. Your innocent, pure-hearted and kind people will continue to sacrifice their lives and die because of the selfish decision you have made. Millions will die, children will become orphans, parents will lose their children and the seas will be filled with so much blood that the smell of iron will be present in the air for every hour, every minute, every second,” he lectured, “but of course, you’re an angel. You have a heart of utmost purity and kindness, and I’m sure you wouldn’t bear to bring suffering upon your people?”

His words hit Juhyeon’s heart just like a bullet. She didn’t want this. But this was her destiny. And like what Jongin said, she couldn’t escape from it. She had to do it, whether she liked it or not. With a sigh, she asked, “When’s the wedding?”

Jongin turned to face her, his gaze burning right into her soul. “Five days form now, on your eighteenth birthday.”


Just a quick update!

I'm really glad you guys are enjoying my story as much as I enjoy writing it! :)

Do leave a few comments, alright? Thank you~