★ chapter twelve

caSTAR§ rookie

It was one day to D-day and the girls were both exhilarated and worried. The girls were gathered in their shared studio for the final day of practice and all of the trainees were working on their individual weaknesses as the door to the studio swung open. The girls gasped and quickly rose to their feet as Lee SooMan entered with HyeJin in tow. "Annyeonghasaeyo, Lee SooMan songsaeng-nim, HyeJin unnie!" JaeEun led the girls in greeting the CEO of the company, as the elder nodded and beckoned the girls forward. 

"Have you all been working hard?" Lee SooMan addressed the girls as they settled down. "Neh!" A chorus of enthusiastic voices bubbled forth, and the trainees looked at one another, anticipation twinkling in their eyes. "Deudgo joh-eun (good to hear that)! I just wanted to be here personally to see how you all have been doing." There was a tensed pause as the CEO seemed to be engrossed in his thoughts. "...As you all know, this is a competition, and by the end of tomorrow, one of you will inevitably be eliminated." The trainees now shared worried glances with each other, eyes scanning the room. None of them could really imagine saying goodbye to their fellow trainees, even though they had only been officially training together for merely two weeks. "This is just a reminder that this is, unfortunately, a competition where everybody has to earnarrow-10x10.png their places, and so I hope that you all will remain focused on improving yourself, and continue to help each other. There is no doubt that friendships will be formed in this project, and although you can't control the results, you can make sure that you and your fellow friends stay as long as possible in the line-up by doing your best." Mixed emotions clouded the trainees' faces as they re-evaluated the elder's reminder. Lee SooMan seemed to recognize the subtle change in the atmosphere, leaving the room with a few last words. "Sugohasaeyo!" 

Needless to say, rehearsals continued with an uncomfortable and awkward undercurrent. The speech had definitely induced uncertainty in the trainees. 

-solo interviews-

The girls were all seated in front of the cameras, in a professional setting, much unlike the previous few days where automated cameras recorded their everyday life. Each of them took turns in front of the cameras, while the rest waited off the set. All of them were asked the same question - their feelings about participating in caSTARs Rookies for the past two weeks.

JaeEun was up first. "No matter what, I know the members will do their best on stage, and that's all that matters." She paused, emotions threatening to overwhelm her. "I really don't want anyone in caSTARs rookies to leave, but since it's unavoidable, I hope that we can still remain friends and keep in touch... neh." She nodded at the camera, her stomach sick to the pits. Nonetheless, she composed herself and turned to call the next member in.

HyeMi shared a meaningful look with the other as she brushed passed and made a beeline to the sterile set. "It's regretful that some of us - most of us have to leave at the end of this programme... but I think we came in knowing that, and although it is the cruel reality, I believe that the members will achieve validation and constructive criticism in the process, and it'll be helpful for debut in the future." HyeMi usually thought with her head, and although she knew she wanted to express so much more than what she had vocalized, she kept it short and wrapped it up before her facade collapsed.

KyunJi bounded up next, and she seemed to be slightly maniacal with anxiety. She attempted to calm herself before she started. "I'm really getting used to the arrangement that we've had for the past two weeks, and I think I've forgotten about the competition ages ago." A nervous laugh escaped from . "I haven't really been on-track to improve myself as a performer, but now I have been reminded, and I promise to work hard in future to become a better person." She gave a brave smile and cheekily flashed a peace sign as she darted away from the cameras.

MinHee was the total opposite of KyunJi, and stared solemnly at the surrounding cameras. "I was a bit hesitant in joining the project group at first because I was fairly new, but now that I've felt what it's like to be in a cohesive group, I don't want to leave. I'm still getting to know the members, and I know I haven't been showing the conscientious side of me, but I will work hard to show you the best side of me from now on." Her lips pulled up in a tight smile as tried to take in that moment as much as possible.

YooMi walked in languidly, although her eyes were bright. "I was a unexpected addition to the group, and although I admit - I'm tough to work with sometimes, caStars rookies has been really supportive from the beginning. I still have a lot to work on, and I know that I've not been doing as well as the others, but I can promise that I will stay true to myself and try to improve myself in my own way." She grimaced as she looked down at her hands and back up again. "Which camera am I supposed to be looking at again?"

SooJin rushed in next, and took her place while smiling at the crew. She nodded as the cameras started rolling. "This has been a great opportunity, and I am glad to have made new friends in our journey for success. Looking back at the past two weeks, it didn't seem like we were in a competition... but now that we have been reminded of the consequences of falling behind, I think this project is going to become more competitive, but no matter what, I hope that our friendships will last." SHe stated matter-of-factly, showing that the baby-faced SooJin could be mature and thoughtful as well.

YoonKi followed after, and gazed in wonderment at the set. She diverted her gaze as she answered the question. "I've waited a long time for this moment, and to think that I might be leaving all this behind me after tomorrow..." Words failed her as she dabbed at her eyes, chuckling nervously. She in a deep breath. "I wished that I had reached out more, and participated more actively..." She nodded. "Neh... I want to do so much more. I held back on a lot of things, and now I'm not sure if it's too late..." The recording ended as she looked away, and she paced the length of the studio, hoping to calm down before she reunited with the other trainees. 

YonNi took to the set gracefully, bowing as she greeted the crew. "I have enjoyed every single moment with caStars rookies, and look forward to many more practices with them. I feel that I have grown in the past two weeks, and I could see how individual trainees have impacted others positively, myself included... so I really hope that we get to stay together for a longer period of time... neh... that is my wish..." She blinked and nodded, and it seemed like she had thought about it constantly. 

KyMin trooped in next, and although she hadn't been vocal much in the dorms and during practice, she looked prepared to speak. "I am unfortunately not one of the trainees that most people would look forward to... but I really would want to stay on, and learn with the others, although I'm still awkward with them..." She whispered, and her eyes lit up as a stray thought crossed her mind. "JinRa-ah, I promise that if I'm not eliminated tomorrow, I'll definitely try to know you better..." 

MiYoo was called in and the timid girl sat in front of the cameras hesitantly. Her voice could barely be heard. "I-I was really happyarrow-10x10.png I was selected to be part of this project... and I wished that the eliminations weren't this quick..." She glanced down at her intertwined fingers. "I am really rigid and slow at adapting, so I feel like I haven't been able to fit in as comfortably as I can, and I haven't been performing up to my expectations... I just hope that I'll have more time to prove myself to you all." The girl gave a little bow as she left the set.

MinAh's demeanour contrasted the elder as she settled down comfortably. "I came in and had fun; and forgot that it was a competition. I think to be able to do that... I must have been really comfortable... and I have learnt a lot from the unnies as well..." She seemed thoughtful, glancing off in the distance as she pondered. "Even if I don't make it tomorrow, I have no regrets;" She nodded determinedly. "...but if I do, I'll work even harder from now on - hwaiting!" The girl looked head-on at the camera and grinned. 

SuJin skipped in gingerly; she was an extrovert, but she was still extremely shy with the rest of the trainees. "I am usually a very calm person, but I can truthfully say that I am exceedingly nervous for tomorrow... I am really lucky to find people I was able to connect with in caSTARs rookies," She paused and whispered, "especially eunminnie," and gave a little giggle. "...and I don't want to have to pack my bags so soon... I hope we all exceed expectations so maybe nobody has to go home then." She nodded innocently, and waited for her cue to leave.

EunMi was greeted by a slightly emotional SuJin, who wrapped the younger in a tight bear-hug before pushing her into the room. EunMi swallowed anxiously, as she broke eye contact with the elder. "I'm a very shy person when you get to know me at first, and I open up really slowly... but I've found friends who are like me in this project, and the person you see right now still has many things she wants to convey, but is still unable to because of the current situation... so I hope that I can show myself fully in time to come..." She nodded, her mind occupied with thoughts of an endearing SuJin.

MinJae entered next, a forced smile plastered upon her face. "I came in wanting to do my best in terms of performance, but I feel that I've accomplished more than that in the past two weeks - I've met so many people who share the same intense passion, and I'm truely happy learning together with them... I think it's too soon for us to part just yet... I don't want to leave..." The rims of her eyes were red as she tried to hold back her tears, quite unsuccessfully, as she looked down and covered her face with both hands. "...but I don't want my friends to leave as well..." She choked between sobs, her head still buried in her hands.

JinRa was called in after an emotional MinJae got cleaned up and presentable. JinRa wasn't one who spoke much within the group as well, and she sat emotionless in her chair, speaking softly to the camera. "I haven't been consistent in my performance the past two weeks... and I wasn't able to express myself as well as I would've liked... but I've broken character quite a number of times during practices, and I realized that it was because I've begun to get comfortable around the people I work with... so I really want to be able to continue working with them, and find myself in the process..." She bobbed her head, and looked to the crew for permission to leave. 

HyeSun was brought in soon after, and quiet girl sat stiffly in her chair while waiting to be addressed. "I have so much more to learn from the unnies - and I think that the rigorous training and strict discipline is forcing me out of my comfort zone and has made me more independent... I may be one of the youngest and quietest, but I have big ambitions... but if I don't make it, I hope that I'd still be able to cheer them on..." She smiled as she did a cute "hwaiting" gesture.

It was RuiXian's turn next, and the younger trainee immediately delved into her thoughts. "Sometimes I think that I don't really like what I'm doing, and I skive on practices and whatnot, but then I think back to the promises that I've made and I realise that this is what I want to do. I think that it's because I'm not mature enough yet, but this has been a wake-up call... I can't promise that I will change quickly, but I believe that I will get there gradually." She winked, her playfulness there for all to see.

Finally, the maknae of the group was called in. HaRu, who had just arrived from school, was still clothed in her uniform. She bowed respectfully to the crew before setting her bag down and taking a seat. "I hope that I can alternate well between school and training, because it would be a pity if I sacrificed one for the other... I think both are equally important, and I am trying my very best... the unnies looked after me really well the past two weeks, and I don't want to get separated from them so soon..." Her lips pressed into a tight smile, as her eyes wandered over to where her unnies were waiting.

That night, all of them laid awake with the same thought in their minds - that at the end of their debut stage, eighteen will become seventeen.


author's note:     so yes caSTARs' debut stage is coming soon - and we've got posters as well (yay!) thankarrow-10x10.png you EeteuksAngel & mickeywithoutears for the beautiful posters TT.TT they are amazing /hugs the one above (EeteuksAngel's) will function as a bulletin as well - & eliminated trainees will be updated there /winkeuwinkeu I'm kind of dying with the elimination chapters it's becoming messy otl. I hope it'd not be too weird!