★ chapter five

caSTAR§ rookie

The girls had completed their first vocal session as caSTARs rookies. Both JaeEun and HyeMi's groups had successfully grasped the melody and pinned down the solos. The troupes split up as JaeEun led her dorm mates back to the unfamiliar apartment. SooJin, YoonKi, MinAh and KyMin followed the leader as they entered the empty place. "It's so quiet..." SooJin mulled over the fact that this was going to be their arrangement for a long time to come if they really were to be shortlisted for the final caSTARs. None of them were accustomed to their living quarters. JaeEun turned to them brightly. "We've all been working hard today. Let's quickly wash up and have a good rest tonight arasso? We have another busy day ahead!" "Neh!" the girls enthused, hurrying to get a clean change of clothes. KyMin nonchalently sidled into her designated room. JaeEun and SooJin were to use the bathroom in the master bedroom, leaving YoonKi, MinAh, and Kymin to share the only communal bathroom. MinAh gestured for the elder to go first, skidding to a halt in front of KyMin's door afterwards. There was a series of knocks before an obviously annoyed KyMin flung open the door. "What?" "Aniya unnie, do you want to use the bathroom after YoonKi-unnie?" MinAh tittered, aware of the overheard camera. KyMin's face softened as she rubbed her neck. "Aniya... you go first. I'm fine with anyhing." She let the door swing shut as a muffled voice penetrated into the room. "Komapwo unnie!"  

Back in the lower dorm, MinHee, YooMi, SuJin, and EunMi had settled down comfortably while waiting for their dorm mates to finish washing up. MinHee was towelling her hair dry as she exited the bathroom, tilting her head towards YooMi to signal that the bathroom was clear. SuJin had returned from the shared bathroom as well, neatly folding her dirty clothes and placing them into the laundry basket. "SuJin-ah, why haven't the others come back yet?" EunMi looked away from the window as she scrambled up to get her clothes. "They're taking so long!" "Molleunda... but go and bathe before they come back, Eunminnie, palli!" The younger broke into a smile as she gave the surprised SuJin a bear-hug before leaving the room. "Arasso!"    

HyeMi arrived back at the dorm with her entourage just in time as YooMi stepped out of the shower. HyeMi grabbed her bathing utilities and made her way into the recently-vacated restroom. "YA. Why is there water everywhere!" She popped her head out as she saw a half-grinning YooMi slumped onto her bed. "Joeseong!" A shower of water landed on MinHee as the former got up sheepishly before deciding to huddle under the blankets again. "YA, when did I allow you to switch to banmal! And that's HyeMi-unnie for you!" HyeMi lowered her chin. "We all did just now!" YooMi retorted with an indignant shake of her head, flicking more water at the unfortunate MinHee, though she did relent at the end. "...HyeMi-unnie!" A satisfied HyeMi nodded approvingly at the girl with a smile. "Ya isn't that good? Now towel your hair dry before you cach a cold!" YooMi made a face but went along with it anyway. MinHee observed in amusement, retrieving her towel and trying to get rid of the wet patches on her pyjamas. In the adjacent bedroom, YonNi had sent MiYoo to the bathroom first as she tidied her own wardrobe. Spotting MiYoo's clothes still lying unpacked in her trunk, the elder cantered over to MiYoo's side of the room, endeavouring to help the younger tidy her cupboard. HyeSun and RuiXian were seated on their respective beds, and as RuiXian repeatedly played the same game on her phone in hopes of beating her own high score, HyeSun quietly pulled out a book and began flipping through its pages. 

Upstairs, KyunJi, MinJae, JinRa, and HaRu trudged back exhausted. KyunJi called dibs on the bathroom as the others plopped onto the couch. "How was it?" SooJin bounced up excitedly. "Tiring." MinJae replied, and HaRu nodded. "It'll get better once we get accustomed to it." SooJin smiled. "We're going to be so much more if we made it." Again, she was met with nods from both MinJae and HaRu. "If you all don't mind, I'll be using the bathroom." The quietest JinRa sraightened up, and before the ohers could react, turned tail and left the living room. MinAh bounded out of her room as she belatedly noted the return of her room mate. "MinJaeeeeee, show me what you've learnt! Ttalawa~ [come with me]" A weary but amused MinJae was dragged off as HaRu was left alone with SooJin. The latter stretched and laid herself length-wise on the couch, craning her neck around to give HaRu a goofy smile before slumping against the armrest. For a moment, all was quiet and all they could hear was the occasional pit-pattering of water against tiles. HaRu shifted in her seat. "SooJin-unnie..." "Hmm?" SooJin adjusted herself so HaRu was within her view. "...Do you think YoonKi-unnie doesn't like me?" 

"Ru-ah, don't be silly!" SooJin made a face. "We're all so new to one another, most of us haven't been all that acquainted yet, but still, one look and anybody can tell that YoonKi feels more comfortable with you than the rest of us. If she doesn't like you, what does that make us then?" SooJin folded her legs underneath her as she reached to ruffle the younger's hair. "Unnie, jinja [really]?" HaRu seemed to take a minute to think it through. "Neh! Stop over-thinking. You must be tired from practice today. Hurry go bathe and turn in early arasso? Don't worry about these things... You'll be okay!" SooJin gave her a warm smile as HaRu looked at her with conviction. "Neh. Komapwo [thank you] unnie!" the maknae nodded obediently and proceeded to retrieve her clothes from her room. SooJin gave a little sigh of contentment before heading back to her own room.

That night, most of the girls slept fitfully, having trouble adjusting to this strange new way of life. In the silence of the dorm, JaeEun slid out of her covers, tip-toeing towards the balcony in an attempt to make as little noise as possible. She unlocked the sliding glass doors, and pulled it shut behind her. She had her phone in her hand, and after hurriedly typing in a series of numbers, held the phone up to her ear. She let it ring for a few seconds before the receiver was picked up. "Jay? Is that you?" a soft voice emanated from the speaker. "Neh umma! How have you been? Are the kids okay?" JaeEun swallowed a lump in . "Umma is okay, the kids are okay too. We miss you. Stay healthy okay? Good luck in the project group. I love you." Unbeknownst to her, tears had started welling up in her eyes, flowing freely down her cheeks. She lifted her head and blinked back tears. "Neh umma I've been well. Please be healthy too. I'll be back very soon. I miss you too. Nado saranghae [I love you too]!" The exchange was short, just relaying the bare neccessities. JaeEun knew that her mother worried too much about the phone bills. Finally hearing her mother's voice in a long time, JaeEun managed to put her heart at ease, being pulled under into a peaceful slumber.

HyeMi, in the room just below JaeEun's, laid awake on her bed. She her side and craned her neck so she could see out the balcony. There were numerous stars painting the night sky that night. "HyeJin-ah..." She murmured under her breath. "It's been so long, but I think I'm finally on the path to achieving my dreams. I wish you were here with me too. Bogoshipeo [I miss you]." She gave a sad smile as she laid facing the stars, slowly drifting off to sleep. In another room, MiYoo tossed and turned in her bed. She had never been one to adapt quickly, and the overwhelming pressure to do well, together with the totally new arrangement, had robbed her of sleep. "Are you still awake?" a hushed whisper travelled from the other side of the room. "N-neh unnie. I'm sorry I woke you up!" MiYoo bolted upright, sending an apologetic bow to her room-mate. YonNi chuckled in the darkness. "Aniya, that's not it." She folded her covers back and sat up as well. "Don't worry too much about what's going to happen. I know you'll always do your best. We'll all help one another, arasso?" In the moonlight, YonNi could just make out the shadow of the younger projected onto the wall behind her. The silhouette nodded, as it slipped back under the covers on its side. "I'm homesick." There was surprise in her voice as YonNi belatedly registered that she had spoken without meaning to. "Nado." MiYoo propped her head up with her elbows. "I wonder how my family's doing..." MiYoo seemed to recall something as a look of alarm manifested on her face, unseen to the elder. "I mean, my appa doesn't approve of what I have signed up for, but I believe he will want me to suceed. All parents want the best for their children and although they may not say that outwardly, they do wish for us to be happy doing what we love." YonNi realized the younger's concern as she reached over and patted the younger over the covers. "Don't worry, I know that. I'll make my parents proud of me. We'll both do well arasso?" 


author's note:     I'm so sorry I've been away for so long.. I've been having some troubles lately. I have around five chapters (including this one in drafts) & I'll be uploading them while I try to familiarize myself with the characters again.. just wanted to say thank you for being here (: