Welcoming You to the Family

Fate and Faith
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 18: Welcoming You to the Family

 

The sky was dull, clouded with puffs of dark clouds. It seems that in any moment, the sky will cry, as if knowing the mournful atmosphere wafting through the Kim’s residence. Two jars were placed on the altar, with two framed pictures hanging behind each of the jars, a picture of a handsome middle aged man and a beautiful woman, next to each other. Till deaths do us part. That was what the two had vowed when they decided to have a life together, through thick and thin. It seems that they’dbreak their vows. The two of them will never be apart, even death couldn’t separate them. It is almost a beautiful tragic love story for them, living their life next to each other and even flew up to heaven meeting their Creator together. But the story was even more tragic when they meet God, leaving behind their one and only son, who wasn’t even at age that he could take care of himself, with no one to take care of. Fate sometimes could be really cruel. But God knows best, and He got it all planned out, perfectly.

 

One by one black attired people gave their respects towards the deceased couple, putting white carnations on the table in front of the pictures. Baekhyun had paid his respect towards the two lovely people. Even when he didn’t know personally about the two deceased persons, he knew that they’re good people, as they could bring up such a lovely child as Taehyung. Baekhyun was rendered speechless when Taehyung brought up questions about his parents, the questions that he couldn’t even answer himself.

 

“Baekhyun-hyung, why mama and papa didn’t come back home?”

 

“Grandpa Dongha said Taehyungie couldn’t see mama and papa anymore. He said they’d gone to better place. Why they left Taehyungie alone?”

 

“Did mama and papa hate Taehyungie? Am I a bad boy? Taehyungie promise Taehyungie will be a good boy...”

 

Tears started b in the toddler’s eyes.

 

The last sentence from the toddler really made Baekhyun’s heart clenched tightly. He was this close to tears. But he must be strong for the younger. He needs to.

 

Baekhyun crouched down to Taehyung’s eye level. His hand caressed the boy’s soft cheeks.

 

“Taehyungie, it’s not that you’re a bad boy or anything. In fact, you’re a really good boy. The best that hyung had ever met. You know what; your mama and papa are good persons. God loves them to much so He decided to take the two of them to a better place called Heaven, where good people at. You want your mama and papa to be happy right?”

 

The toddler sniffled and nodded. Baekhyun gave the young boy a small smile and wiped the tears running down the boy’s cheeks.

 

“If you want mama and papa to be happy, you need to be a good boy. Be strong. If you cry, mama and papa will be sad and they wouldn’t leave to Heaven peacefully. You’ll be a strong boy okay?”

 

Baekhyun hugged the toddler. He could feel the young boy nodded his head with occasional sniffles slipped through. Even when Baekhyun said that, he himself wasn’t strong enough. He could break down any moment now. The fate played on the little boy was just too much.

 

A hand was placed on Baekhyun’s shoulder, sending him a reassuring comfort. He didn’t need to turn around to know who the hand belonged to. Baekhyun released the hug from the toddler and rose from his crouching position. Daehyun picked up the toddler and rested the boy in his arm. His other arm pulled his husband into his embrace and patted the latter’s back, as if signing him that everything’s will be okay. Baekhyun leaned in into his husband embrace, gaining some strength from his younger husband.

 

 

The funeral went through smoothly. The sullen atmosphere was still lingering around the young couple, even when now they’re heading back to their house. Taehyung was sleeping soundly on Baekhyun’s lap on the passenger side, with his head pillowed by Baekhyun’s chest. The drive home was silent. No one was uttering a word. Baekhyun looked at the sleeping toddler on him. This little boy needs someone.

 

“Dae...” Baekhyun softly called for his husband next to him.

 

Daehyuntook a glance towards his husband and muttering a ‘Hmm?’, signalling the latter to continue.

 

Baekhyun let out a sigh.

 

“We couldn’t leave Taehyung alone. This boy got no relatives Dae. Why don’t we just adopt him? He’s a good boy. And I didn’t even need to go to the cafe frequently as we’ve got more workers there. I could take care of him. I-I just- I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter