Prologue

Doctor Yixing

Prologue


Shadows danced on the walls of the torch-lit marble hallway hidden deep beneath the heart of South Korea's capital. Footsteps echoed as the dark figure stalked through the infinite darkness, his silvery eyes beaming like beacons that lead the way. Once he'd reached the looming marble double doors ahead, he pushed them both open and strutted into the dimly lit room ahead. Two other pairs of unblinking silvery eyes were his rather cold greeting.

"You're late!" Joonmyeon snapped, arms folded across his chest as he pulled himself away from the wall he was momentarily leaning upon. His cold gaze never left the teen and raked him from head to toe. "I'm sorry, Joonmyeon. I had to feed. I prefer to do it at night, where I'm concealed. Unlike some," That last part turned into a hiss, one which the second pair of eyes angrily snarled at in response. "Each to their own," The second male appeared from the shadows, his tall figure easily overcasting them both, and he could have easily lunged for Yixing there and then but Joonmyeon's hand latched onto his shoulder. "No fighting Chanyeol. Yixing's only just arrived," he chuckled lowly. 

Yixing clenched his fists into tight balls and slammed them against the table which he'd sat himself at. "Just tell us what we're here for, Joonmyeon. Enough with your secrets!" the vampire yelled, frustrated at the elder for wasting his time and frustrated at the table for having cracked in two after further inspection. It should have been a lot tougher and been able to withstand the punch. Like he was. Joonmyeon chuckled to himself before heaving a sigh. "You were always the demanding type, weren't you Yixing? But as you wish," He fished a piece of paper from his pocket, unfolded it and laid it out across the table. It was in fact a map of Seoul, the Hongdae area to be exact. "Hongdae? But isn't that where the students live?" Chanyeol questioned, eyes grazing over the illustrations and print of the area. "Well done, boy," Joonmyeon clapped his hands together and ruffled the boy's hair with a firm hand. A grumpy Chanyeol attempted to tame his messy locks as the leader commenced the explanation of his idea. "Students are the way forward. They're young, easy targets and most of all easy to rob from,"

"They also can't keep secrets. Do you not remember being a student Joonmyeon? Or was that an entire millennia ago?" Yixing asked, lips curving into a dangerous smirk. "For your information Yixing I never went to school. Seemed pointless to me. And in order for them to not spread the word, we'll just have to dispose of them, won't we?" Joonmyeon's voice was laced with danger, its smoothness was like that of a sword, able to slice through its opponents effortlessly. "We don't usely kill though, Joonmyeon." Chanyeol piped up. "What happened to our rules? 'We only kill those who kill us.' " In an instant, Joonmyeon had both boys in his grasp, his thin, bony fingers wrapped around their necks with their backs slammed hard against the wall. "Why does everything always result in me threatening you, boys?" For a second there Joonmyeon sounded almost sympathetic, as if he was genuinely concerned about their friendship-or "work relationship" as Yixing liked to call it. But he wasn't. He burst into laughter before adding a little more pressure to the boy's necks. "Why don't we just make up a new rule, hm? Let's think," Joonmyeon paused for a second. This was Chanyeol and Yixing's opportunity to suggest something but all three of the vampires knew they weren't going to say a word. "No ideas? Such a shame," Joonmyeon bit his lip. "I got it! How about 'What Joonmyeon says, goes.'? " His gaze darted between both boys, eyebrow arched slightly. "A stunned silence I see. I'm glad you both agree." He then loosened his grip and both boys plummeted to the floor. Crouching down, he looked at them both, sharpened canines peeking through his sadistic smile. "Now get out,"