Getting To Know You

HIATUS/Visiting Home

So Diary,

 

I may have got myself a guys number. I know. Unbelievable , isn’t it?

 

Mila

 

‘So, you’re telling me you won’t give me my notebook back?’ Mila asked softly, raising her eyebrows at Kai who was looking thoroughly smug.

‘Unless…?’ He questioned, waving his hand as though waiting for her to continue.

‘She agrees to go on dates with you?’ Sun Hee questioned. It had taken nearly ten minutes to calm the younger girl down earlier, but now she was taking meeting two members of her favourite idol group into her stride. If she was being honest, Mila felt dumb. She should have realised that twelve attractive men travelling together with what was obviously a production team could only equal idol returning from an event.

‘Are you insane?’ Mila asked, tilting her head gracefully to one side and smirking at Kai smugly. ‘Why would I even want to be seen dating you?’

Sehun, who had been mostly silent since his introduction, looked up at Kai’s crestfallen face before he erupted into rather unmanly giggles. His tall, slender body slid a little way down the comfy, leather sofa as he snorted into the palms of his hands.

‘Well, she’s got you there, Bro.’ Sehun chuckled wearily, wiping a fake tear dramatically from the corner of his eye. Mila couldn’t help but smile a little at his face when he laughed. His eyes crinkled at the corners and turned into wonderful crescent shapes. Mila blushed when he caught her staring, his tongue brushing across his lower lip nervously. She coughed into her hand and averted her gaze, focusing on anything other than how adorable Sehun was. Kai caught the exchange and threw a raised an eyebrow questioningly at Sun Hee. The younger girl had seen it too and was resting her delicate chin on her hands, smirking at her cousin. Sun Hee looked at Kai, flicking her head slightly in Mila’s direction and then nodding toward Sehun. She wiggled her eyebrows up and down, signalling a scheme she was hatching.

‘Okay, so maybe you won’t date me.’ Kai suggested, raising his hands and shrugging once, ‘But how about you date Sehun instead?’ Mila and Sehun snapped their eyes back to the table, both had been avoiding each other’s gaze throughout Sun Hee and Kai’s exchange, and now they were nervously twitching in their seats.

‘You can’t ask her to do that!’ Sehun gasped, brushing his fingers through his messy hair quickly.

‘Why not? It’s obvious you like her.’ Kai smiled, darting his gaze between them.

‘I know Mila thinks you’re cute, Sehun-Ssi. It’s so obvious. Ouch!’ Sun Hee sipped her bubble tea to console herself through the Mila-caused pain stinging her ribs.

‘Pretty damn obvious.’ Kai inserted.

‘So?! That does not mean she wants to date me! Okay?’ Sehun yelped in a strangled whisper. Everyone turned to face Mila, like three hungry wolves they waited for her answer. Mila placed her iced tea on the table gently, and took a deep breath in preparation.

‘Actually, I’m not against it.’ Mila smiled at Sehun, his eyes had widened way past their normal size and a crimson blush crept through his cheeks. ‘In fact, I’m all for it. Anything to get my journal back right?’ She smiled angelically, tilting her head to one side. Sehun’s surprised look faded and was replaced by one of hurt; admittedly Mila had not meant that at all.

‘If you’d do anything, why not date Kai-Ssi?’ Sun Hee muttered, angling her body away from Mila’s, probably to avoid a sharp elbow to the ribs.

‘That’s a good point.’ Mila acknowledged, ‘Maybe it’s because Sehun is adorable and Kai’s just an idiot who stole my journal.’ Just like that Sehun was laughing again, Kai was mumbling about her notebook being left lying in a public place and Sun Hee was pulling on Mila’s arm trying to convince her that Kai had many charms too. Mila settled back on the couch and glanced between them all. It was nice to have company, they were loud and they were obnoxious. But she had to admit, she didn’t feel so lonely around them.

Sehun watched Mila lean back in her seat through his laughter. Her pale skin shone in the dim café lighting. Her chocolate eyes were the same as Sun Hee’s but there was something tender and wise to her angular lids. She stared at them softly, her smile lighting up her whole face. It was the first time Sehun had ever seen her genuinely happy. He much preferred this smile to the false, angelic one she’d used earlier. Mila looked up and caught his gaze; he smiled at her as a flush of pink flooded her cheeks. He noticed her small, full lips and the freckle on one side of her nose. Her pointed jaw and high cheekbones. Noticing the way her dark brown hair was swept back behind one ear and curled gently around her small face, Sehun realised that his first assumption had been correct. There was something about Lee Mila that made her so beautiful, and he wanted to know what it was.

Kai slid the notebook across the table after their agreement became official, with the exchanging of Sehun and Mila’s phone numbers. Sehun had blushed a ridiculous shade of red when he realised Mila had put her number in his phone as ‘Lee Mila <3’ and Mila had immediately wanted to destroy the notion that putting a heart next to her name had been a good idea. Sehun had saved himself as ‘Oh Sehun’.

Oh Sehun? That’s… Cute. Mila thought, smiling down at her phone.

Lee Mila? It suits her. Sehun scrunched his nose up and felt an irresistible tug at his lip.

‘Can you too stop smiling at your phones? It’s werid.’ Sun Hee deadpanned.

‘Mila put a heart next to her name.’ Kai observed over Sehun’s shoulder.

‘Really? So cute.’ Sun Hee cooed, pushing her cousins shoulder, only to receive a gentle push back.

‘We really should be going.’ Mila smiled down at Kai and Sehun, shoving her notebook into her shoulder bag. Grabbing Sun Hee and lifting her from the couch, Mila started to walk away, only to stop dead as she passed Sehun. She wrapped her fingers together and chewed on her lip nervously, before leaning down and tapping Sehun’s shoulder.  ‘Text me. Okay?’

Mila walked away to the sound of Sun Hee squealing and Kai making baby noises at a now crimson Sehun.

Mila voiced the one question in her mind when her feet hit the pavement outside. ‘I wonder when he’ll text?’

‘I suppose as soon as Kai-Ssi leaves him be.’ Sun Hee grinned at the older girl, her pearly teeth flashing, reassurance thick in her voice.'I'm hungry. Lets go get ddeokbokki! Okay?'

Mila nodded absently and allowed herself to be pulled away, her mind busy with thoughts of Sehun.