Train Girl

HIATUS/Visiting Home

Kai thumbed the pages of the journal softly, there were two things stopping him discovering its owners deepest, darkest secrets. Firstly, he felt a little bit obligated as a gentleman to not shamelessly breach a woman’s privacy. Secondly, he couldn’t understand anything written on the pages that was longer than three letters long. The entire journal was written in English. Kai was the first to admit that English was not his strong suit and he probably needed a translator. The only one available would be Kris and there was no way he was sharing her secrets with him. He was a gentleman. If anyone was going to read this journal, it would be him.

                Now he could call the number written neatly on the inner cover and ask if the girl from the train wanted her journal back, but after a good few moments of deliberation Kai decided that it just wasn’t any fun to give the journal back straight away. If he were being honest he’d be lying if he said he hadn’t found ‘Train Girl’ attractive. She was beautiful. Plain and simple. But she seemed more interesting than anything. Her appearance on the train had ranged from sophisticated and sweet to clumsy and playful, encompassing everything in between with her animated reactions.  One minute she was gazing longingly out the window and the next she was pulling childish faces across the carriage.She wasn't attractive in a 'wow, she's hot' way. She was attractive in the way that made you want to befriend her. Train Girl seemed like she never had a dull moment in her life.

                Yes. She was attractive. But that wasn’t why Kai wanted to get to know her.

                Thumbing his phone screen gently he punched in the foreign number and opened a blank text. After a few attempts at composing a suitable message he came to the brief assumption that if he was too nice, she’d suspect him of flirting with her. If he was too abrasive she’d just ignore him. Frustrated Kai slumped down on the floor in his room, rolling round and kicking his long legs up into the air a few times in mock temper. Who knew texting girls was so hard? Eventually, he stabbed at the send button and waited with bated breath.

 

To: Train Girl

Hey Train Girl. If you leave your journal lying around anyone could read it, y’know?

 

From: Train Girl

Member of the Creeper Party? Can I have your name so I know who I’m texting?

 

To: Train Girl

Creeper Party? What the hell!?

 

From: Train Girl

Are you one of the guys off the train today?

 

To: Train Girl

My name is Kim Jongin. But yes, I am.

 

From: Train Girl

Then you’re officially ‘Creeper Jongin’! Nice to meet you!

 

                Kai stared down at his phone screen blankly. What the hell had just happened to him? Had he, the Kim Jongin, just been called a creeper? Suho Hyung was so wrong; this girl was so not an angel, she was a devil in disguise. In fact she was plain rude. With a frustrated huff Kai slumped down on his bed and stuffed the journal under his pillow with every thought of finding a third party translator tomorrow and abandoning his gentlemanly ways. Kai’s phone buzzed irritatingly in his pocket and he chose to ignore it, anything she had to say could wait until tomorrow. A few moments later the irritating buzz sounded again, rattling against his leg. Visibly frustrated, he yanked his phone up to his eyes and grimaced at the bright light.

                Two new messages.

 

 

From: Train Girl

Sorry, for the insult, Jongin-Ssi. I need my journal back. It has important plans in.

 

From: Train Girl

I’ll meet you tomorrow for coffee? We can talk then.

Goodnight!

 

                Jongin glanced down at her texts with his brows furrowed. He didn’t have anything scheduled for tomorrow so coffee wouldn’t be a problem. But this girl was willing to go without even telling him her name. She was weird. Plus, what was with the sudden attitude change? This girl was too dynamic, how was he supposed to cope with this in person? 

 

To: Train Girl

I still don’t know your name, Train Girl.

 

From: Train Girl

It’s Lee Mila.

To: Train Girl

Mila? Unusual name… Y’know for a Korean girl.

 

From: Train Girl

I’m not quite Korean. Now let me sleep, Creeper. I’m tired.

 

                Jongin scoffed before putting his phone on charge lazily, he’d have to think of any excuse he could not to give that journal back tomorrow. He gently rolled over and found himself drifting into an impossibly deep sleep. Admitting to himself as his consciousness slipped that texting with Lee Mila was pretty, damn interesting.