Rain (deja vu)

Gona Love You to Death

 

 

Everywhere around him there popped up umbrellas, one after another. The sea of umbrellas made an instant tent. The sound of raindrops hitting the umbrella-roof was overpowering, he couldn't hear himself think. The truck had vanished. And there he stood, impatiently waiting on the edge of the sidewalk. Just like he had been a few minutes ago. The umbrellaless guy. Seunghyun blinked twice as if to make sure his eyes were working properly. His stomach churned as his brain replayed the gut-wrenching, blood chilling thump of the truck hitting what he thought had been the unaware soaked body of that very same guy, since he had vanished into thin air after crossing the edge of the sidewalk into the river that once was a street.

The unnerving screech sound made him jump every time it replayed in his head. He had seen it with his own eyes, the truck replacing the fretful fellow moments after he had stepped in front of it. And not just him. Everyone around him had seen it too, gasping in horror. How was he back on the sidewalk, tapping his foot nervously? And where was the truck? He couldn't make sense of it. Had he fallen asleep while waiting and dreamt the whole thing? Perhaps a warning from his brain, showing him what could have happened if he himself had surrendered to his own impatience.

 

Something felt off. Something felt very wrong. Had his senses betrayed him? It felt like time had rewound. Like everyone was pretending that the last few minutes had never happened. Why was there no one upset or even surprised by this? Why was he alone in his confusion? The problem had to lie within himself. Had he really just imagined it? But it had felt so real. He could still feel the wave of goose bumps that washed over him as soon as the truck collided with the now very alive and kicking restless guy. It was the only explanation, but for some reason he wasn't buying it. It didn't feel right. It didn't sit right in his veins.

 

He tried standing still, he tried ignoring it, but he couldn't. The pull of the rope was stronger now. He didn't care whether it looked weird or not. He needed to get to the front, just in case.

 

Closing his umbrella, he started pushing through the crowd. It was no easy feat. He ruffled quite a few feathers and got a number of elbows in the side in return. The wait in the rain was not putting people in a very tolerant mood. Finally he reached the spot he had had his eye on, he was standing right behind the guy in the fancy drenched coat. He took out his umbrella to open it again, when the lights for the cars turned red. The blood froze in his veins. A deja vu that sent chills down his spine.

Reacting on impulse he dropped his umbrella to the ground without noticing. He could see as the man in front of him made the resolve to wait no longer, that he didn't have time to wait for a couple of ticks more for the perky green chap to greet him, granting him safe passage. Before he had even extended his leg fully, Seunghyun grabbed the back of his coat, pulling him an inch backwards. Just as the guy turned around to face him, hopping mad, the truck rushed by at an alarming speed.

 

“What the HELL do you think you're doing, huh?!” he shouted, his words nearly drowning in the screaming rain. He shook himself loose from Seunghyun's hold. Seunghyun's tongue was tied. What did he think he was doing? He had no way of explaining it. Had it been a premonition? A lucky guess from his imaginative brain? What exactly had happened? He stared blankly back at the angry guy that was waiting for answers he couldn't even give himself. Despite his face being crumpled up with rage, he was clearly extremely handsome. And rich. Really rich. Acting all entitled, like Seunghyun's touch was beneath him. Seunghyun half expected to receive a hearty punch from him at any moment.

 

Saved by the bell, the light turned green and the crowd behind them pushed passed. “Watch it, okay!” the guy hurriedly threw at him, annoyed. He gave him a disapproving look, his eyes accusing him of being a crazy person, before he strutted away like he could walk on water, holier than thou. Seunghyun watched him disappear into the maze of people, all going their separate ways, not paying attention to anything other than their own bellybutton.

 

“You're welcome.” Seunghyun spat, irritated. He had just saved his life and this was the thanks he got. Or had it all been in his head? Maybe the guy hadn't been planning to cross the street prematurely. Maybe the truck was never going to hit him. Maybe it was all in his imagination. Still, that didn't explain how he knew the truck would rush by at that exact moment. An uncomfortable grumble in his stomach gave him a bad feeling.

 

Seunghyun snapped out of it as the light turned red again. Great. And the rain showed no sign of letting up. There was not a dry spot left on his body. His umbrella lay a little ways off, taking its last breath after having been trampled over by the stampede of people in a hurry to cross. Just great.

 

Confused and wet, he started another staring contest with the man in red.