Churning Confessions

Wishful Thinking

Taeil POV

Clearly Kyung couldn't be expected to change his ways.  He probably had cheated on my sister.  I just didn't know the extent.  Either way a girl kissing him was not acceptable. He had not apologized.  Instead he was trying to refute that it had happened.  We'd seen two women laying claim to him and he didn't have the decency to tell Sumi the truth.  Or to try to remove her from the situation before straightening out all the details.  He'd let her believe the worst of him and it was probably because he knew he'd messed up.  

I hadn't wanted events to happen this way.  Although, in the end it was better this way.  Sumi wouldn't be deemed a cheater.  I knew that Jihoon had been waiting for a chance to tell her how he really felt.  He'd admitted to me that he had wanted to ask her out but he'd been too afraid I'd have an issue with it.  Unlike Kyung who had manipulated me into unknowingly setting up alone time with my sister.  Jihoon had been asking me earlier to remind him why he shouldn't say anything and I told him it would only make her heart hurt to know the truth.  She cared about him a lot.  They were closer possibly than her and Kyung could ever be.  Kyung knew it too.  Jihoon had eventually begun to tell me everything.  How Kyung knew he liked Sumi and yet he'd gone ahead to ask her out.  That he had told Jihoon to stay away from her.  

Ahmi and I had probably given up on this being a date for us.  I didn't hesitate to agree that we should take Sumi home, but we had to find her first.

"Should we split up?' Ahmi was asking my opinion. 

"No.  Let's just dance.  You heard Zico. It'll be nearly impossible to find them in this crowd.  There are a few hundred people here at least.  What if we get lost ourselves?  It's better to wait like he said," my words intended to convince her, but they were partly a lie.  I knew we wouldn't find them because I'd spotted them heading towards a side door.  I knew they were no longer on the main floor and I wanted to dance with Ahmi.  She wasn't making it easy though.  I forced myself not to blink for a few seconds to appear cuter.  The tears might give me enough sympathy for her to agree with my suggestion.  

Jihoon POV

Sumi was not reacting how I expected.  Her face was pale and it hurt me to see her so unresponsive.  Did she truly care this much about him?  I knew I couldn't tell her about my true feelings in this condition.  I would be taking advantage of her vulnerable state.  That was not what I wanted.  I didn't want to be a rebound.  

Right now, I wanted most of all to see her smile.  

"Is there a way out of here?" She asked.  I didn't hold her hand but instead nodded and waved for her to follow after me.  The sea of bodies slipped closed behind us hiding our trail.  

I could feel her hand holding onto the back of my shirt.  The sensation had me wanting to do so much more but I had to let myself be satisfied with this for now.  

Sumi POV

Jihoon led the way out.  I felt relieved when I felt cool air against my skin.  He waited until the door closed.  I thought he would talk first but he waited for me to say something. 

"Jihoon, I'm sorry.  You probably expect me to cry or be upset, but I guess I just don't feel like doing that.  It's my own fault for blindly trusting him.  Everyone told me he wasn't the right match for me.  That he had a wandering eye, but I didn't take it seriously because I thought he cared about me.  I'm not even sure I feel upset at all.  It's like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders," I admitted.  He stared at me listening to my every word.  

"I'm still sorry you had to see that.  You didn't deserve that kind of thing," his eyes told me he was upset over this.  

"What's that phrase? You don't always get what you want, but you get what you need?  I think it's like that," I spouted.  Now, I felt insincere.  

"That's a lie.  I know it is.  I have to be honest with someone.  Ahmi won't understand.  On some level I've been waiting for him to mess up.  Not exactly like this, but I thought that it must be me with the problem.  That since he cared so much about me to change his ways, that even though he flirted with all those women he only ever wanted me.  I thought that because he loved me that I must be wrong.  That I had to pretend to be happy wasn't good. I just thought that it was a rough patch. That I'd return back to when we started dating and I felt excited and happy, but it never got better.  Kyung never changed, but I did.  I didn't want to admit it but I was the one that cheated him. I'm the bad guy.  I'm the awful one that used him to make myself feel good because it was easy to go along with him.  It was easy to say yes to date night because it was only once a week and I could do what I wanted the rest of the time.  I didn't want everyone to find out how miserable I was.  That they were right and I was wrong.  I thought I could make myself love him, but I can't do it!" I tried to wipe away the tears that were falling.  It was embarrassing to cry in front of Jihoon like this. 

"Is that all?  SO you messed up.  You made a mistake.  So did Kyung.  No one expects you to be perfect," he said laughing at me.  He was laughing at me.  I didn't know whether to be angry or sad.  

"Why are you laughing?" I asked.  

"Isn't it obvious?  I'm laughing because you are too serious.  You need to learn to let go and also because you look like a panda right now," he finished.  He was supporting himself with his palm pressed against the red brick wall.  

"What do you mean-?" I started to ask before realizing that panda's had black eyes.  Fumbling for my phone, I took it out using it as a mirror.  My eyeliner and mascara had spread from me trying to wipe my eyes dry.  My eyelids and underneath were completely covered with black.  It wasn't wet proof mascara or eyeliner after all.  

"Take a picture, it'll last longer," I mouthed before heading back inside.  I needed to locate the bathroom to fix my face.  

Taeil POV

Ahmi was cute.  Swaying back and forth, her eyes darting around the crowd still trying to locate them.  

"Yah, I didn't realize you hated me so much," I stated.  She flinched showing me soulful eyes.  I wanted to hug her and tell her that it would all work out but I was afraid she'd freak out.  I didn't want to push past her boundaries at the moment.  

"Do what I do..." I instructed her.  She took a second before nodding.  I started off moving my hands in circles in front of my chest.  She smiled doing the same.  Moving my arms up over my head to sway back and forth, which she did without hesitation.  I scooted my hips back and forth not quite taking a step, by sliding on the floor.  Making a heart over my head with my hands, I brought it down into a miniature version with just my hands.  She went along with it laughing a bit at how cheesy it was.  Seeing as she was all smiles, I cupped my hands letting the tips of my fingers touch, and then I ran the loop over her head and down her back to end on her waist.  This had the effect I wanted as her breathing hitched for a slight second before she realized that she couldn't quite copy that move so close to me and rested her hands on my waist instead.  

We were just swaying to the music.  She was paying attention to me finally.  I thought she didn't like me for a while.  This was starting to feel like a real date.  

Zico POV

"You just have to be honest," Kyung's eyes didn't seem to soak in my words.  Grasping his shoulders, I rocked him back and forth a few times.  He needed to focus.

"She hates me," he whispered.  He seemed to be something else what was he thinking?  Sumi might just toss him aside but she probably would be touched hearing the truth as well.  I knew he was crazy about her, but I didn't know why he would just let her walk away like that.  

"Tell me the truth.  Did you cheat on her?" I hated to ask but if he wouldn't tell her, then he would tell his best friend.  I was stuck with him after all these years no matter how much we fought we seemed to just fit back together.  

"No.  I didn't sleep with anyone!  Do you know how long it's been?" his tone suggested he was suffering more than a human could endure.  I kept my amusement hidden behind cold eyes.  I needed the full truth if he wanted my help. 

"Yes, but did you do anything else with them?" I waited for him to answer.  He closed his eyes as if he were feeling immense pain.  His forehead wrinkles reminding me that he wasn't all that good looking.  Seriously, I don't know why any girls talked to him ever.  Let alone Sumi who seemed to know what she wanted out of life.  I guess not everyone went for physical appearances though.  If they did, then I'd probably have a steady girlfriend by now.  Yet, they always claimed I was too busy and didn't love them enough.  Kyung had the same work load as me and yet here he was making time for more than one woman. 

"We talked.  I've been talking to them. I might have met Mijin accidentally a few times.  Is it my fault we like the same bar?  And Hanae might have kissed me...but I told her no and haven't seen her since then..." he said.  I bit the inside of my cheek to prevent from saying anything.  He didn't need my judgment right now, but he was not making helping him easy.  I wasn't sure he deserved Sumi but it wasn't my choice to make.  She had the right to choose him if she wanted him.  Honestly, I'd expected him to have messed up more but he was just his usual self.  Not realizing that saying no and what a boundary even was.  He'd already lost his abs probably from all the drinking but he'd never looked all that great.  If he couldn't rely on his looks, then he only had his talent.  

"Ok.  Did you sleep with anyone?" I asked him.  He shrugged his shoulders.  

"No.  I didn't," he mumbled.  I assumed that was his hurt expression but he just looked like he had gas again. 

"So you don't know why they were angry with you?" I asked.  A nod.  I sighed running my fingers through my hands.  This was making me want to drink shots of something that would leave a fire running down my throat.  

"Fine.  Ok.  Be honest.  Tell her how you feel.  Maybe I can tweak the rules a bit.  Just freestyle and try not to let Jihoon get you sidetracked," I told him. I didn't know what else to say.  He didn't actually cheat on his girlfriend.  Only he had crossed some line but I wasn't sure what that was.  That was ludicrous.  It was like he'd purposely shot himself in the foot.  Did he not want to be in a relationship?  Mijin and Hanae probably didn't even know that Sumi existed.  I expected drama but it was the best way to let Kyung speak his mind.  It was like ripping off a bandage he just had the chance to do it publicly rather than getting completely drunk and wailing outside her window later.  

I doubted anyone else would appreciate what was about to happen.  Taeil would give me the silent treatment for a few weeks, but at least Kyung wouldn't be able to wallow.  He had his chance and after that I could wrangle him into staying under supervision.  The rest of the guys would keep an eye on him.  

Sumi POV

I stared at the mirror. The black was gone.  I'd ended up scrubbing off the rest of my makeup.  My face was red but I chalked that up to whatever soap was in the dispenser. Probably not meant for faces, but I had been too distracted and cleaned a cheek.  After that, I just washed everything.  

The cool water against my face helped me calm down.  The gentle breeze it created against my skin had me feeling more secure.  This sensation was familiar as when I hugged my knees to my chest.  There was nowhere clean enough to do that here though.  My thoughts turned to just ditching everyone, but I knew they'd all be mad with me.  I didn't want to stay though, but there no windows capable of freeing me. 

Sighing, I dried my face completely.  The scratchy brown paper reminding me that the comfort of home was far away.  Not everyone was out to hurt me though, as other women had cast me knowing looks.  No one had interrupted me or been mean.  Before I left the bathroom, I pried the earrings off my ears. The weight gone I felt a little better, but my head throbbed slightly as if that wasn't enough.  Sighing, I tucked them into the pocket of my hoodie.  At this point I wouldn't care if they disappeared.  

Leaving the bathroom, my eyes sought the nearest exit.  A person appeared in front of me.  Looking up at his face, I held up my hands in defeat.  Jihoon grabbed them playfully.  He inspected them carefully.

"What did you misplace a finger?" he asked.  I rolled my eyes.  He was capable of being weirder.  

"No.  Were you hoping to get in the ladies bathroom?" I asked him.  He smiled brightly.  

"No.  I knew you wanted to run away, but I came to tell you they know your plans.  Zico told the staff.  You can't go until Kyung and I have our rap battle," he informed me.  Before I knew it, a pout formed on my face.  Jihoon was giving large guffaws clutching his stomach.

"What?" I asked.  No further words necessary.

"I thought I saw a cow..." he was nearly in tears.  I stared at him wondering if he had a mental break.

"No.  Where?" I hissed at him.  The horrifying image of those fake yet real udders filling that glass of water flashed through my mind.

"Your face," he bit his lip and then let forth a rush of snickering followed by throaty laughter.  

"What?" I was confused.

"NO. I just thought of your face if that cow waiter was here.  It's even better than I imagined," he was clutching his sides now.  I let out a heavy sigh, narrowing my eyes to glare at him.  

"Mean," I scowled at him.

"Maybe, but now you're only worried about cows.  Let's go watch the first battle," he said dragging me along with him.  He seemed to decide that my hand wasn't enough and draped an arm over my shoulders marching me forwards.  I could make out Zico's tall hair.  As the people shifted, I spotted Kyung standing nearby.  His eyes were roving the crowd probably looking for me and I ducked my head lower.  Hiding my face in Jihoon's chest, he easily draped his arms around my back and let me hide there.  I knew it wasn't really effective or clever but I felt better knowing he was on my side, even if Kyung probably spotted Jihoon straight away.  His height stood above most of the other people.  Although, he blended more normally out of his usual brightly colored suits.  His pink board shorts and purple top meshed with the rainbow of hues.  

Kyung POV

There they were together. I couldn't believe my eyes.  She was practically cuddled up with him.  He was smiling from cheek to cheek.  I knew it.  The whole time he was just hoping for this to happen.  

The battle before me didn't disrupt my view of them.  She seemed to be just silently holding onto him.  I don't know when they got so close, but one day I'd come back to the dorm and she'd been there in our kitchen.  The two of them completely covered in various substances.  They were giggling together still reaching for things to throw at each other.  She'd claimed Jihoon wanted to bake everyone cookies, but apparently that was not the first time they hung out alone.  They would be together at times that I never expected.  We'd always had date night, but sometimes I'd get a response that she was out.

Jihoon would know I'd call and text me.  He'd say something along the lines of not to worry he was with Sumi.  Only he'd admitted to me more than once while drunk that he liked her.  She was pretty and he didn't know how I got so lucky.  In the end, I didn't know whether to blame myself or someone else.  

Zico was pointing me out.  He was announcing our round.  I stood up straight hearing that it was in fact freestyle with not exactly a time limit but a quick back and forth.  Jihoon stood before me microphone loosely held in his hand.  I scanned the people in the crowd searching for her face.  I spotted her and Zico did too.  He led her out to stand by his side.  She seemed plain.  As if her day always included such a setup, the crowd already shouting out their preferences.  

He was calling me out for being a cheater.  Rhyming with the word, declaiming all my acts as wanton and low down.  The match was a stretch and but it didn't matter.

I was staring at her wanting to tell her everything but I found myself annoyed as he continued telling me that 'your face, lips and eyes were the worst disguise, not capable of betraying the sighs, as you plunged between another woman's thighs'  the verse left me feeling sick.  He was mocking me.  Challenging me to deny it.  It wouldn't matter what I said though, this wasn't the place to say anything.  I realized that looking at her face.  I thought that she seemed calm but I realized that she just seemed lost.  Scared as if she wasn't sure of anything and I knew I wanted to point out that there was more than just me here.  

"What about your lies? Don't you know that you're the other guy?  When did you decide that it was ok, to see my girlfriend every day?  How did you think this would end, after you backstabbed a good friend?" I was throwing back a challenge.  I didn't know that I could fault him for loving her but the crowd was eating it up.  They loved betrayal and back stabbing.  It didn't matter to them which of us were in the wrong.  The feelings were sincere as I found him smirking softly shaking his head.  

"Did you think that love was pure? Did you believe that with your will it would endure?  Why didn't you think that you weren't insecure? Don't you know that sleeping around is immature?" the words cast at me.  I knew she was watching but I didn't know how to confess the truth.   Either way it was my word against Mijin's and Hanae's; they probably would exaggerate to break us up.  

"My girlfriend doesn't believe you. Her dreams were always fresh as the morning dew.  Her eyes were always able to see a world view, beyond the past and without a question she always knew what was true," I said.  I hoped that meant something.  That if she looked at me she would see that I wanted her to believe me.  I wanted her to pick me.  

"Why not ask her?  Don't you let her speak?  Her words are no longer weak.  Even if you treated her until her voice was rare like an antique.  There is more to her than you'll ever know even as you misspeak," he lobbied back at me.  I didn't want to continue as Sumi was staring at the ground.  She was no longer present.  Her eyes searching for an end to this battle so I decided to end it for her. 

"Apologies are all I have.  The words I say might make you mad.  The truth no longer seems to add. She now thinks all I am is bad.  Enough that I cannot bear to think about what we once had," I let the mic fall.  The loud thump muffled as it was turned off.  Habit I suppose and it made my exit less dramatic, maybe next time I wouldn't flip the switch.  Hands were on my shoulders, I expected Zico.  It wasn't him but Jaehyo.  His face scrunched as if he couldn't believe what he were about to do.  He pulled me into a hug, embracing me tightly before shoving me backwards.  He proceeded to push me out the nearest door.  I didn't look back.  I knew that it was over.