Chapter Five

Past Perplexity [hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning when Min Jee moved around in bed, half asleep due to the rays of sunshine that was streaming through the window; she was confused when she couldn’t grasp her favourite star shaped pillow which was always above her head. In fact, after feeling around with her senses other than sight, she couldn’t even feel anything except the blanket that was draped over her.

Her eyes shot open and when she looked down to expect a bed right beneath her body, she found that she was instead floating five feet in the air.

With a squeal, Min Jee squirmed in the air for a few seconds before she suddenly wasn’t airborne anymore as she landed roughly on her bed below. The force of her fall only propelled her to roll off the bed which was where her mother found her when she entered the room after hearing the commotion.

“You okay Min Jee?” Her mother asked worriedly as her daughter struggled to untangle herself in her blanket on the floor.

She only groaned in answer, never the type to fully carry a coherent conversation when she first wakes up. Nonetheless, her mother took it as a sign that she was alright, before telling her that she made breakfast already and that Minseok called to tell her to call back when she was able.

Min Jee simply groaned once more and her mother shut the door not long after.

It was then after cuddling with the floor for about another ten minutes did Min Jee realize what actually happened.

She floated.

Full on, floated in the air.

The only way that could have happened was that she had somehow entered into another parallel universe where suddenly she could defy gravity. Either that, or she was just reading too much of her fantasy novels again, since she always had an overactive imagination.

Nonetheless, despite being slightly confused over the development, Min Jee pushed it into the back crevices of her mind, and set herself up to do the menial tasks before her that day.

She really needed some tea.

*

*

*

“If you’re planning on going out today, you might want to bring an umbrella.” Min Jee’s mother said without even turning her back from where she was cutting some vegetables on the counter of the kitchen.

Min Jee squeaked in surprise when her mother spoke up, she was sure she was quiet but then again, her mother always seemed to have eyes on the back of her head.

With a sigh, she confirmed that she would bring one before walking out the door and telling her mother she would be back home soon.

Swinging the umbrella in her hand, Min Jee strolled down the sidewalk and headed for the café. It was then her feet stuttered and then slowed to a stop.

The stalker. Min Jee suddenly thought, and then smacked herself on the forehead for accidentally forgetting. Rubbing her forehead in irritation, she took her phone out and scrolled through the contacts. It would be a hassle to call Minseok since he was working, except he was her only ride. As if it read her mind, her phone started to blare, showcasing a number she didn’t know.

If her assumption was correct, then she knew exactly who would be the receiving end of the phone call.

“Chen.”

“Oh were you expecting my call then?” The young male answered back, and Min Jee could almost imagine the smirk that would be on his face.

“No, it’s because this was the next stepping stone from when you followed me from the café.”

He had no comeback for that so he simply laughed.

“By the by,” Min Jee added, “Could you pick me up?”

“Afraid of the stalker?”

“A little bit…”

“I’ll be there in ten.”

*

*

*

In those ten minutes, a lightning storm struck and luckily Min Jee had her umbrella otherwise she would have been soaked to the bone from the amount of downpour that came roaring down.

Chen’s car pulled up, and with a slight shiver, she quickly entered the car after shaking her umbrella for any excess water.

“The news channel didn’t say anything about this rain.” Chen pouted as he the windshield wipers and slowly went into drive.

Min Jee snorted, “Like their weather calculations are always right. Did you know during the middle of last September, it snowed?”

“Really?” Chen asked with raised eyebrows.

“Yeah, it was chaos. I even got a free day off school because the power didn’t work. In fact a lot of power lines were cut off when tree branches snapped under the weight of the snow.”

“On our property, we didn’t get any weather like that so did it only happen in town?”

Min Jee shrugged, “Maybe? I wasn’t really paying much attention other than the fact I didn’t have to go to school.”

Chen grinned at the answer, “If I was in the same situation, I would’ve done the same.”

The two fell into a simple conversation after that, talking about their likes and dislikes, and getting to know each bit by bit. Min Jee learned that Chen hated swimming but loved to sail, which in a way was contradictory. When she pointed that out to him, he just stuck out his tongue in answer and proceeded to ask her other questions. He learned that Min Jee was a useless cook but a fabulous baker. When he gave her an incredulous look at that, she explained the reason why she was better at baking was the fact she was able to follow a recipe step by step specifically without messing up as opposed to cooking which was pretty free.

Min Jee found out that Chen loved reading manga and watching anime, his favourite being Code Geass. At this, she squealed and if she was actually in an anime then stars would have burst from her eyes because soon enough, the two started to argue of who was the better character, Lelouch or Suzaku. Neither won but Min Jee liked to believe that she did.

It went on with different topics, back and forth between the two of them, and didn’t stop even though they arrived at the café and got their orders from Luhan, who was back.

“Just because you never tried pie doesn’t mean you should hate it.” Min Jee replied huffing when Chen made fun of her selection of food. “I mean who hates pie?”

Chen only pointed to himself forcefully while he looked up at the ceiling, trying his best to give off a haughty attitude. Min Jee rolled her eyes at his action.

“Well you’re trying it today.”

“Then you will try my drink in return.” Chen said, and Min Jee wrinkled her nose, she never liked coffee. The bitterness of it, and the smell was something she never liked. She sighed though, but for the love of pie, she would do it despite the concoction that Chen gave to Luhan sounded like a nightmare.

“Fine.” Min Jee narrowed her eyes, “I will.”

“Fine.”

The two shook on it with a steely glare in their eyes.

Once their hands let go, Min Jee remembered what happened that morning

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter