Chapter Nine

Past Perplexity [hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The address that Kris had given Chen to drive to led to a small house near downtown in the suburban area. It was inconspicuous almost with bountiful of flowers that lined the house and the light green window panes with pale yellow curtains that covered them. It was almost as if the house came from a perfect family from some sort of sitcom show with the additional white picket fence and little mailbox that had a small flag right at the gate.

It was cute, Min Jee had to admit as she looked at it, in fact it was a good disguise for someone who was so paranoid about people following them. Being in a house like that, no one would suspect that a conspiracy nut like Kris lived there.

“Nice house.” Chen commented as he pulled up to the driveway right beside a blue Volkswagen beetle.

Kris smiled at the compliment, “Thanks, it took me months to renovate the place.”

“Do you live here alone then?” Min Jee asked.

“Yeah, I mean my parents actually live somewhere else. I visit them once in a while when I have the time.” Kris said, leading them up to the door and opening it with a flourish, letting the two enter first.

When Min Jee took in their surroundings, she realized that outside was just a front because the inside of the house was very, very different.

Electronics were everywhere; there were televisions that lined a whole wall, showcasing surveillance from traffic cameras mostly and even the odd store camera. In the corner in a different room Min Jee could see four computers, scrolling through a series of codes and mass amounts of cables that crisscrossed all around the house. In fact if she wasn’t looking where she was going, Min Jee was sure she was bound to trip over one of them. In the main room where the televisions were, the other walls were covered with blueprints, scraps of news clippings, pictures of random people even with profiles. On the table in the middle of the room laid the map of the town where places were marked with red circles and there were even little figurines standing on them like it was some sort of war game.

The only place that was relatively normal was the kitchen with just some dirty dishes and clean cupboards, but instead of sitting at the table in there, Min Jee and Chen were led to the computer room where a leather couch called their names right beside a couple of shelves that were stuffed to the brim with all sorts of books. Sitting on it, Kris took a seat in the rolling chair and moved himself towards the computer, pressing some keys until a desktop screen appeared, and from what Min Jee could see, his background was of Amber from f(x), she snorted.

“Now that we’re here, what would you like to know?” Kris said, leaning back on his chair.

Min Jee glanced at Chen, who looked back and they stared at each other exchanging soundless sentences before it was Chen who spoke up.

“Well, I heard that you know almost everything about this town.”

“You heard right. I can tell you what happened in the last hundred years to who the mayor is cheating on his wife with right now.” Kris commented.

“The mayor?” Min Jee butted in. “But I remember him coming to my school to give us a speech during graduation. He seemed so nice.”

“Aren’t most politicians dishonest? Why would he be any different?” Kris answered back and Min Jee frowned. She knew there was a reason she never did like politics anyways.

“So would you happen to know about—” Chen paused and put his hand out to Min Jee who took a few seconds before realizing what she had to get. Rummaging around her bag, she pulled out the journal and flipped to the pages where the symbols and language were written and gave it to Chen. (She was reminded of the fact she had to give the journal to Minseok at some point so he could translate the words.) “—these?”

Kris took a minute to study them and turned towards his computers, without saying a word. Executing a series of key , Kris stared intently at screens and Min Jee tried to concentrate on the images and windows that kept popping up before disappearing but after a while found it too hard to keep up.

With a silence that entered the room, save for the keyboard clicks, Chen resorted to whistling while flipping idly through the journal, reading the entries and eventually paused.

“Wait so this is written by my grandfather?” Chen asked, incredulous.

Min Jee nodded, “Apparently.”

“Why didn’t I even know about this?”

“He did a good job hiding it,” Min Jee said, “I mean he hid it inside another book in his study.”

Chen looked thoughtful before he whipped his head towards Min Jee, “Wait, did you snoop?”

Min Jee at least had the audacity to look ashamed even though it was something that she did often, “It just happened, I was trying to look for the bathroom and then I stumbled upon his room when I got lost.”

Chen snorted, before rolling his eyes, “Right—”

“You have to believe me!”

“Oh I do, that’s why.” Chen said with a smirk and Min Jee narrowed her eyes.

“Well now that you guys are done chatting, look what I found.” Kris said, interrupting the two with a wiggle of his eyebrows as he spun his chair to face the two.

The duo went over to see on the screen were documents that included the symbols, some that happened to be in English and others in the same ancient language, scanned into the computer obviously as it showed it was affected by age and as it seemed a fire. Min Jee pondered if it was the fire that Luhan mentioned.

“They’re all from the museum actually, but there aren’t any physical records of them being in there. In fact, I had to bypass a few walls before reaching it—a little tricky to get through but nothing I can’t handle.” Kris answered.

“Does that mean someone could possibly be trying to hide its existence?” Min Jee asked.

“It’s definitely a probability.” Kris said before pointing at one of the screens to a document that was written in English, “This right here talks about an event that happened fifty years ago. In the news they depicted it as a really bad storm that happened for days, while the document explains that it was almost the end of the world but a group was able to stop it from happening just in time.”

Kris raised his eyebrows at them, “Something you’d like to tell me? Are you more than just students?” the male asked but then gasped, “Don’t tell me you’re with them.”

“Who’s them?” Chen questioned confused.

Min Jee guessed that Chen’s honest tone stopped Kris from doing anything too drastic like kicking them out. It was good thing too because just by being with him, Min Jee was just learning more than she could on her own—even with the help of Chen and Minseok.

“Never mind,” Kris answered and turned his attention back to the screen, this time pointing at a document that was in the language, “Now this right here, it’s a beauty. It tells us the myth of the Chaos who was locked away long ago in the centre of the Earth by a select group of gods. However because Chaos was too strong, it was delegated that two who were descendan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter