Chapter Sixteen

Past Perplexity [hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Min Jee came back from talking to Jaehyo, it was as if someone had finally pressed the ‘play’ button as she noticed the startling response of being back online.

From her trek to where Junmyeon and the others resided, she bumped into at least three people who didn’t even glance her way as they scurried off in the opposite direction. And when she finally arrived, no one paid attention to her return which was actually good on her part since they wouldn’t ask her about her general whereabouts.

Right away, Min Jee noticed how focused Sehun was at the computer screen that was now on with his tongue was sticking out as he pressed the letters on the keyboard at a surprisingly fast speed.

Junmyeon likewise was on the computer as well but was also conversing with Luhan and Chen as he went to type up all the things that he had written down just moments before. It seemed that none of them moved from their spots either last she left them. So she quietly ventured over till she stood beside Chen who glanced at her for a split second.

“There’s zilch on Jaehyo so far, at least nothing incriminating. He comes from a white picketed family, father is an accountant, and mother is a midwife; seemed like the father got laid off three months back though. Let’s see, here it says he is a university student on his second year so his bank account consistent with someone who has student loans,” Junmyeon commented, eyes still intent on the computer screen before him. “He doesn’t even have a record of any sort.”

Chen let out a groan. “Seriously? This is just great.”

Min Jee nodded however, she had a feeling it would be like that with Jaehyo but still she walked over so she was standing behind Junmyeon, there must have been at least something linking him to Erebus. Her gut was telling her so.

“Can I have a look?” she asked.

There was a tightness in Junmyeon’s shoulders when he heard her say that and Min Jee realized that she probably wasn’t even allowed to do something like that but he was on the same thought process as her. Considering how he was helping them anyways it wouldn’t matter if she took a peek so he nodded.

On the screen before her, there were already windows open, one of which was Jaehyo’s birth certificate, another from a social media site that had pictures of his family, and the last which overlapped the rest was one document that showcased his bank statements.

There wasn’t anything like Junmyeon said but as she scrolled further she noticed how money from one source (a loan probably) stopped and was replaced by another with even more cash. The name listed was simply initials “S.Q”.

It suddenly clicked for her.

Min Jee spoke up. “Try the name ‘Song Qian’.”

Junmyeon glanced up sharply, having moved to the side to make room, as he raised his eyebrow but unexpectedly he didn’t question her, only opting to punch out the name in their data base once Min Jee had shifted away.

A few seconds went by where Min Jee ignored the look that Luhan had shot her way and before she had to explain herself Junmyeon cleared his throat.

“She’s a socialite, daughter to an oil sands tycoon, but unlike others around her age she hardly graces the pages of newspapers with scandals. In fact Song Qian has only appeared twice. First for her debutante ball and the other is for her recent disappearance in the last two weeks. Most of the press assume its rehab but there are few who speculate that she’s run into the wrong crowd apparently. Another socialite name of Sulli was interviewed and she even said that her friend had been acting weird…” Junmyeon trailed off staring hard at the screen before he made a sound of exclamation.

“Ah, in the recent weeks before her disappearance, she made huge withdrawals of cash from her account.”

“The money was going to Jaehyo,” Min Jee interrupted and leaned over Junmyeon’s shoulder. “See here how other sources stopped but ‘S.Q’ appeared. That’s her and based on the amount of money she withdrew, she probably was paying someone else as well.”

“How did you know that?” Luhan asked, butting in.

Min Jee looked sheepish. “A lucky guess?”

Luhan didn’t like the answer as he narrowed his eyes at her.

Junmyeon nodded thoughtfully and then continued. “Her phone records also seemed to have received intervals of phone calls every day from an unknown caller, and then on the last day before she went missing she placed a call to someone.”

“Who?” Chen asked eagerly, having been listening avidly.

“A professor,” Junmyeon said before pressing a few keys probably to bring up the results. “By the name of Zhang Yixing.”

Min Jee’s jaw dropped when she heard that. Minseok’s friend? No, he couldn’t be a part of Erebus. He had helped her, so why would he do all that if he was Erebus. He didn’t even mention anything. In fact it didn’t make any sense at all.

She shot a look at Luhan who seemed just as surprised as her about the news, eyes wide and confused.

Min Jee let out a sigh.

“The plot thickens,” she mumbled.

Chen having watched their silent exchange tilted his head as he was lost in translation.

“What just happened?”

*

*

*

After the new development of information, it was obvious that Min Jee wanted to leave to talk to Yixing but Luhan made the point of continuing the investigation with Junmyeon.

By then, Min Jee had left the spot where she was standing behind Junmyeon and planted herself near Chen once again. She was annoyed for sure but she knew the reason why Luhan didn’t want them to leave right away was so they wouldn’t arouse any suspicions.

That and the fact they still needed Junmyeon’s help in the unforeseeable feature but Min Jee was antsy which in turn made Chen confused but also curious.

“Who’s Zhang Yixing?” Chen asked finally, his voice low enough for her to hear only.

“Someone I met before I bumped into you,” Min Jee answered quietly. “He helped me with some information. Kyungsoo was the one who gave me his number actually.”

Chen raised his eyebrow at that. “He never told me about that.”

Min Jee shrugged, and tried to suppress a smile when she saw how Chen was disgruntled by the revelation to the point that he whipped out his phone and punched the screen with a bit of vigour before sending off a text to Kyungsoo. When she took a quick glance at his phone, she could see it involved permanent caps lock and many exclamation marks.

“Do you think you can let us know if there’s anything else about Song Qian and Jaehyo that’ll pop up?” Luhan said, finally standing up. Chen followed suit as Min Jee stepped back.

Junmyeon made a sound of agreement. “I’ll call.” Then he frowned, looking at Luhan. “What do you want me to do about Jaehyo?”

“Can you hold him a bit longer?”

Junmyeon shook his head. “I’m sorry but I don’t have anything to hold against him, I have to let him go.”

Luhan sighed. “Alri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter