The First to Realize

A Second Chance - The Story

*****

The ballroom Eun Bi’s mother had rented for her was packed with relatives and friends of Eun Bi’s Sehun didn’t know about. He couldn’t describe how utterly uncomfortable it was every time one of them came over to greet him, as if he were some kind of famous actor. He felt like some kind of item. With Soo Ae beside him, he felt even more shame.

“Do you know them, daddy?” She wondered.

“No,” he was honest with her. Then whispered, “It’s kind of weird, isn’t it?” to which she nodded.

He sighed wishing Namjoo was there to accompany them. He knew that Namjoo would never embarrass to him to such extent and being with her would give him much more comfort than sitting here at the table alone with Soo Ae. He would have called Namjoo, but every time he reached for his phone his mother would lug over some elderly relative to introduce him to. It was as if he was being screened each time.

Every time they gleamed over how handsome he was and would mention something about Eun Bi, he wondered if they ever regarded the ring on his finger. Everyone, he thought, should know he was married. The girl beside him was his daughter, he wanted to say aloud and proudly, but no one listened to him. Everyone was too busy talking to one another to even pay an ounce of attention.

“I miss mommy,” Soo Ae whined. “This is boring.”

“Do you want to have some cake?” Sehun asked. “We can leave after they cut the cake. I promise.”

“I don’t want the cake.” Soo Ae shook her head. “Can we go home? Daddy, I don’t like it here. Those girls are scary. I don’t like how they look at you.”

“Sorry Soo Ae,” he apologized. “We should have dragged your mommy along with us, then we’d be having so much fun, huh?”

Smiling, she nodded. Extending a hand out, he said, “Then, lets go. Mommy’s waiting for us at home.”

At first he intended to tell his mother he was leaving, but when he saw that she was busily talking to one of Eun Bi’s elderly relative, decided against it. His father was probably immersed in talk with the other men, so deciding to leave it as is, he walked out of the plaza with Soo Ae close to him. He would have been respectful enough to give his wishes to Eun Bi, but he hadn’t seen her ever since arriving. He wasn’t about to stay long enough for Soo Ae to feel any more uncomfortable.

Grabbing a cab outside they finally relaxed in the car. Sehun didn’t think he ever looked forward to seeing Namjoo as much as tonight. He was becoming fond of the word ‘wife’ that was reserved only for Namjoo. There was so much planned for tomorrow that he couldn’t wait until the sun went down and came back up.

“Mommy!” Soo Ae began calling out the moment they walked in through the door. He watched her run up the stairs and patiently followed her, anticipation underlying every beat of his heart. For a moment, he figured he would like to take his time before going up to see her and feel that exhilaration pulsing through his veins. Namjoo too, he hoped, looked forward to seeing him.  

At the top of the stairs he watched Soo Ae walk out of their room, “I can’t find mommy.”

*****

Namjoo was drunk. They’d shared a total of six bottles before she initially passed out. Chanyeol worried about returning her home, for he knew if Sehun’s mother was there she wouldn’t give them the light of day to explain themselves. He didn’t want Namjoo to get in heavy trouble either. If Sehun’s mother saw her like this, there wouldn’t be a moment’s hesitation where she'd tried to find some type of excuse to kick her out. Chanyeol didn’t think Sehun would be enough to withstand his own mother.

Chanyeol hoped Namjoo would sober up after a few hours’ nap at his place. He could drive her back in the middle of the night and no one would know but Sehun. Sehun would understand, he was certain of it. They’d made a pact between them long ago not to go for the same girl, if ever it so happened that they like the same person. So far, it had never occurred, majorly because the type of girl he liked were the kind Sehun didn’t find attractive and the type Sehun liked…well, Chanyeol didn’t really know what type he liked.

A small studio which he paid for monthly out of his own pocket was where he lived. Luckily, both his parents had funded him for college and still gave him monthly allowance. This gorgeously small studio had allowed him comfort ever since college and he always almost had someone over during those fun college days. Chanyeol had been a busy explorer of human nature until he launched into his career. Now, to his disappointment, he was too busy for that kind of fun.

Namjoo’s breath stunk of heavy alcohol as she lay slumped against his back. Chanyeol stumbled in through the door barely tripping over his own feet. She muttered something he couldn’t understand and through the dark made it safely to the velvety couch in the living room. Turning, he sat her down carefully before laying her down. If there was even a scratch on her, he wasn’t sure what Sehun’s reaction would be. Namjoo had said they were barely friends and Chanyeol slightly believed her, but Sehun’s perspective might hold a different account.

Turning on the kitchen light he reached into his silver two door fridge and poured a glass of water before a thump in the next room had him spinning around. Groaning underneath his breath, he hurried back toward her with the cup of water he intended to have her drink. Just as he thought, Namjoo had rolled herself off his couch and onto the floor.

“Sheesh,” he mumbled to himself and walked over. Setting the glass of water onto the nearby coffee table he reached down to help pull her up. Namjoo had landed face forward and if she broke her nose, he wouldn’t take responsibility for it.

She first laughed when he pulled her up, commenting on how it tickled her. Pivoting herself into a sitting position she grinned, amused about something. In contrast to her drunken state, Chanyeol felt exhausted, unamused.

“Ha-ha,” he laughed sarcastically, “have some water before you puke.” He reached past her for the glass of water, but Namjoo eventually slapped his hand away.

“Look who’s here tonight,” she drunkenly spoke, even gently slapped his face with her hand. “A new face.” She cocked her head to the side, narrowed her eyes. “I don’t remember seeing you before. How much?”

He snorted, “What the hell’s she talking about…” He reached for the cup of water again and once more, Namjoo pushed his hand away from it.

“Ah…you look kind of cute,” she stared at him through half-opened eyes and smiled sloppily. “Thirty dollars.” Was what he heard last before she clasped her hands around his face and planted a kiss on his lips.

At that very moment the scenery outside the window in front of him disappeared and his eyes enlarged. His hands slipped from around her arms. The weight of her head dropped back, bringing the rest of her body with her. Quickly pulling his attention back, he caught her before she hit the floor again, suddenly holding her within his arms.

Chanyeol’s heart thumped as he listened to the silence around him. Regaining his senses, he pulled her up onto the couch where he watched her snuggle into the couch pillow.

It had been a while, he let the thought sink in, since he’d had anyone in his apartment with him. He would have never imagined that the first person, over in months, would be his best friend’s wife. Slumping against the couch he buried his face between his arms, wondering if he should call Sehun or not.

Pulling his phone out he stared at the brightly lit screen, turned his phone off, on, and then back off. He merely jumped a few seconds later when the ringing of a phone surprised him. It wasn’t his, he discovered, then he turned to look at Namjoo. Her phone was flashing through her pocket. Leaning over, he pulled the mobile device out and stared at Sehun’s name flashing on the screen. After another ring, he answered.

At the sound of his voice, there was a long pause on the other end.

“Is…isn’t this Kim Namjoo’s phone?” He sounded hesitant. “Is my wife there?”

“It’s me,” Chanyeol said.

Another pause. “Chanyeol?”

“Namjoo’s with me,” he informed and turned back to look at the sleeping figure occupying his couch.

*****

Panic. That was what was fluttering through his chest. He was frantic when he realized Soo Ae was right. Namjoo wasn’t in the house when she should have been there waiting for them. He was delirious and worried out of his mind. For a few seconds he’d wondered if someone had broken into their house, but the locks on the doors hadn’t been tampered with.

“You can take a bath and go to sleep by yourself, right?” Sehun asked. “You can do what daddy asks of you, right?”

It was bad to leave Soo Ae unattended, but he couldn’t bring her with him when he went to pick up his drunk wife. Namjoo wouldn’t want Soo Ae to see her that way either. Namjoo could scold him later so long as he brought her home. Then the thought came more aggressively: she needed to be home.

“Yes, daddy.” Soo Ae quietly nodded. “Is mommy ok?”

“Yes, your mommy’s fine. She’s with daddy’s friend,” Sehun assured. After making sure Soo Ae was safe and repeating to her not to open the door for anyone, he was off. He sped along the road and was at Chanyeol’s place no less than fifteen minutes later, pounding on the door and ringing the doorbell.

“Where is she?” Sehun cut Chanyeol’s greeting off and pushed his way in. He urgently glanced around before spotting Namjoo sleeping on the couch.

“Sorry,” Chanyeol apologized, “I thought she’d want some air and invited her out for a few drinks.”

What he was saying only registered very slightly through Sehun’s brain. As his eyes settled on Namjoo he felt peace slide through him again. She was safe, it was all that mattered.

“I guess she would have liked some air,” Sehun sympathized. “Mom’s been really harsh on her.”

“Should have called you earlier, but she said you were out.” Chanyeol told.

“Eun Bi’s birthday was today,” Sehun told, gently pulling Namjoo up.

“Eun Bi?” Chanyeol raised a brow from behind. “You still keeping her around?”

“Not me,” Sehun corrected as he linked his arms under Namjoo to carry her up. “Mom is.”

“You should have at least cleaned up your mess with Eun Bi before marrying Namjoo,” Chanyeol prodded.

“Yea, yea,” Sehun waved him off. “I’m going to go now. I gotta get back before mom and dad returns home.”

“You better hurry along before your mother explodes. It won’t be a pretty picture for Namjoo.”

“Thanks,” Sehun called out as he rushed back out the door with his wife securely in his arms.

Settling her into the backseat he again he sped through the streets before arriving home. He thanked God that his parents weren’t yet home. Making his way up the stairs with Namjoo deep asleep in his arms, he first checked in on Soo Ae to make sure she was sleeping as she promised. Then making his way into their bedroom, finally lay Namjoo down on the bed.

A sort of soft sigh dropped from her lips when her head hit the pillow and she sunk into it cozily. For once, she looked really comfortable in his bed. Sehun’s next move would have been to pull the blanket over her, but instead he gazed into her face. Pinning his arms onto the bed around either side of her head, he slowly leaned forward and pressed his face against hers.

The same exhilaration he’d been feeling recently, flushed through him. In the depths of his mind he could feel his lips touch hers and the joy emanating from it. And he knew what he’d been feeling had been right after all.

*****

A throbbing spread like wildfire through her head when she woke up. Immediately nauseous she rose up from bed and hurried off into the restroom to puke the alcohol out from her system. Namjoo didn’t remember feeling so woozy after a few drinks before. All she could think of was how weak she was with alcohol now. She was certain she hadn’t had that much last night.

The thoughts propelled through her head as she sunk against the wall to the floor. Then it finally hit her that she was home…in her and Sehun’s bathroom. How had she gotten home?

Suddenly thrown off guard with the noise outside, she picked herself up and stepped out to find Sehun walking in through the door with a cup in his hand.

“You’re up?” He greeted and hurried over. “Are you ok? Here, drink some of this.” When she peered at the glass he added, “It’s some honey water. It’ll help you feel better.”

“Thanks,” taking the glass from him she sat down onto the bed to take a sip of it. “What time is it?”

“Don’t worry about that.” He assured. “Mom and dad aren’t home.”

“Where’d they go?”

“Their annual church service.”

“You don’t go with them?” She was surprised.

“Didn’t I say today is our date?” He reminded. “Soo Ae and I are already ready. We’ll be waiting for you downstairs.”

She watched him walk out and finally took a note of how finely he was dressed in long shorts and a simple t-shirt. She got the notion that they were probably both excited and waiting on her. So where exactly were they supposed to be going today?

A few minutes later they were in his car with the windows open. Soo Ae was singing along with some children’s music on a CD he was playing – one she hadn’t been aware he even had – then the park came into view a few minutes later. The ocean beyond it was sparkling blue underneath the radiant sun and the land was possessed by early morning goers. Families seemed to be taking advantage of the nice weather as they sat about with their young ones.

When Sehun pulled the car over she watched him unpack a picnic basket from the trunk. She hadn’t been aware he’d been prepared ahead of time. He must have really wanted to have the picnic, she wondered, and watched him hand Soo Ae a blanket before they were off. After settling down under the shade of a tree she watched Sehun help Soo Ae run along the empty field, their kite fluttering in the wind as they both screamed excitedly together. It was a tranquilizing peace to see them so well together.

“Feeling better?” He asked sitting down beside her after handing the kite to Soo Ae. Namjoo had a sandwich clamped between her fingers, but she’d only taken a few bites out of it. She wasn’t very hungry after all, even though he’d taken the effort to prepare so much.  

“There’s a headache,” she replied then wondered if she ought to apologize for leaving without word yesterday.

“I was really worried when we came back to see you weren’t home last night,” Sehun explained as if he’d read her mind. “I was looking forward to seeing you when we returned home.”

“S…sorry.” The apology came out quiet.

“But I was glad for it,” Sehun admitted, “it made me realize a few things. Whatever you may feel about our marriage, I feel blessed that we’re where we are.”

Namjoo glanced up from the stark green grass and felt a soft wind flutter by. He was so easily enchanted by so many things.  

“I thought something might have happened to you last night,” he explained, “but when I realized you were with Chanyeol, I can’t tell you how relieved I felt.”

What exactly was he going on about?

“Namjoo,” he turned to look at her, “I think…I’m starting to like you again.” 


***There we have it! Sehun's too innocent and naive - either he trusts Namjoo would never cheat with another man or he trusts his friend too much to think otherwise. Big things are going to be happening soon!