Dad Over Husband

A Second Chance - The Story

An embarrassed, almost shy smile erupted on her face.      

"What's with you?" His mother questioned in a way as if he'd reacted despicably. 

Holding her arm out she called for Eun Bi. Suddenly losing his appetite he grabbed a napkin to wipe his lips. 

"Where are you going?" His mother asked when he stood up from his chair.
 
"Work," he said. "You two have fun playing house." 

Pulling his keys out from his pocket he started out the front door toward his car. His mother was insane if she thought he was going to do the firsthand marriage thing. Of all women in the world Eun Bi was one of the last he'd pick to be his wife. Besides, how was he supposed to get married when he didn't even have his own house yet? He was still too young to even think about it. 

After turning at the red light he drove toward Namjoo's apartment. Stepping out of his car he started up the walk toward the building.

He was brought to a halt when he heard, "Uncle Se-Se!" 

Looking down his right he saw Soo Ae waving an arm out, a broad smile on her cheek. Mother and daughter were headed toward the bus stop a block down. 

Smiling, he waved back and watched Soo Ae pull out of her mother's hand to run toward him. 

"What are you doing here?" She asked looking up into his face. 

"To take you to the daycare," he replied, "but where were you going?" 

"Mommy wanted to take the bus." She replied and mimicked Namjoo, "'We should do things ourselves sometimes,' is what she said."

"Soo Ae," Namjoo called from behind and Sehun glanced toward her. 

"Get in," he gestured back toward his car, "I'll drop you off at work and Soo Ae at the daycare." 

"I thought I told you..." 

Cutting her off he turned to Soo Ae, "Do you want to ride in Uncle's awesome car or the boring bus?" 

"Uncle's car!" Soo Ae shrieked. "The bus smells sometimes and I hate it." 

"That's right," he patted her head and glanced back at Namjoo, slightly nodding toward his car while waiting for her. 

She sighed again and moments later was digging through her purse for something in the passenger's seat. 

"Here Soo Ae," Namjoo handed back a small pack of some gummy bears, "don't eat it in one go."

"Yes!" She replied and grabbed it from her mother. 

A smile flickered across Sehun's lips when he glanced in the rearview mirror to see Soo Ae gazing hungrily at the pack of goodies. She'd eat it in one go when Namjoo wasn't looking, he knew she would. 

Holding his hand out he said, "Can I have one?" 

Namjoo shot him a stare. 

"I didn't have breakfast." 

He felt a cold pack land in his palm and held it up, "I have one too, Soo Ae!"

"Is Uncle Se..." she glanced toward Namjoo and continued, "hun coming to pick me up later?" 

"No, I will." Namjoo answered. 

"Aww..." 

"Soo Ae." Namjoo deepened her tone. 

"I'm just kidding mommy. It's only because mommy's too pretty seeing her too much will hurt my eyes." 

He listened to Namjoo snort before reaching her arm back to squeeze Soo Ae's leg playfully. 

"Smooth talker." Namjoo commented and leaned back into her seat happily. 

Her eyes searched the streets for a short second before turning to look at him. Realizing he'd been staring he quickly looked away. Readjusting his grip on the wheel he found a tiny smile pulling the corner of his lips. 

*****

"Is he angry with me?" Eun Bi turned to Sehun's mother.

"Never mind him," she coaxed and patted her back, "he's probably too shy to react the way you wanted." 

"I hope so," Eun Bi said. "You don't think he's going to be upset that I'm going to be staying for a few days." 

"Don't worry about that. This home is your home too." 

Pulling a smile on she turned to Sehun's mom, "Is it ok if I go into his room?"

"Of course!" His mother replied. "Go and clean up after him. You're going to be the next Madame in this house, so do as you please."

Eun Bi's face brightened up and she hugged his mother tightly, "Thanks mom!" 

"Of course," she said, "who else but you is suited for our Sehun? Now go on up. I'll clean up around here."

It would be the first time since becoming adults that she was going to see his room. The many curiosities in her mind never ceased. She wanted to know how his room smelled like, how he organized his clothes and accessories, what the color of his bed was, and what other important things he kept around, whether he was neat or messy. 

Pushing the door open she stepped in, allowing her eyes to rove over the fresh green walls. There was a desk with some football collectibles and a laptop. The bed dressed in gray sheets that probably smelled like him. There were a couple of drawers, a closet, and a shelf nearby his bed. These weren't what intrigued Eun Bi. What most caught her attention were the few drawings he'd taped at the head of his bed. One look and she could tell the artist was a young child. 

But why the pictures? Who was the kid and why had he taped them up like that? 

*****

After leaving work early Namjoo immediately made her way to the daycare to pick Soo Ae up. They were currently on their way to the terminal and one look at the clock told her they were an hour early for their expected guest. 

"What are we doing here?" Soo Ae questioned, pressing her face into the window as she peered out into the parking lot where a dozen large buses were parked. 

Namjoo checked her watch again and glanced toward the arrival doors. 

"We're picking up your favorite Uncle."

"My favorite Uncle?" Soo repeated. "Who is that?" 

Smiling, she patted the back of Soo Ae's head, "You'll find out." 

"I have a favorite Uncle, mom?" Soo Ae asked. 

"Yes." 

"How come I don't remember?" 

"He'll be here in a bit," Namjoo shot another glance at her watch then to the doors again.

"Oh!" Soo Ae suddenly shrieked. "Tao Tao!" 

A tall man with raven black hair entered through the doors among a crowd with a dark blue duffel bag. His navy green jacket and slightly torn jeans made him unique from the city bunch. 

"It's Tao Tao, mommy!" Soo Ae jumped up and down by her side. 

"Uncle Tao Tao," Namjoo corrected and waved. 

A sharp smirk climbed up Tao's lips when he caught sight of them and jogged forward. Setting his bag down with a wide set of open arms he waited for Soo Ae to run into him.

Namjoo watched with a warm smile. Tao was the son of the Aunt who lived next door to her. They were the first of the villagers she'd befriended after settling into the country house. Thanks to the sympathy Tao's mother had spared for them, she'd received clothes for Soo Ae as she grew up. During her busiest days she'd been able to leave Soo Ae with Tao if his mother wasn't around. Thus, Soo Ae grew up under the supervision of Tao.

Compared to the rest of the villagers who pitied her for birthing Soo Ae alone and always questioned her past, Tao had disregarded the eyes of society. He never asked why she decided to settle down into the countryside nor who Soo Ae's father was. He was indifferent to it and treated her like any other mother he knew. She liked that aspect of respect she received from him.               

"Tao Tao!" She screamed flinging her arms around his neck. 

"Hey, little one," he hugged her. "How've you been?" 

"Good!" She exclaimed. 

"Was the ride tiring?" Namjoo greeted walking over. 

He smiled handsomely while looking up at her and straightening up greeted, "It's been a while."

"Is that all you brought with you?" Namjoo glanced at his bag. 

"For now," he replied holding onto Soo Ae's hand. "Should we get going? I don't like standing in the middle of the hall like this." 

"Are you hungry?" Namjoo asked turning with him toward the entrance. 

"I am!" Soo Ae jumped in. "I want soup and fried eggs!" 

Tao chuckled, "Your appetite's grown, Soo Ae. It used to just be this much." 

He held out his forefinger and thumb to measure out a thin strip. 

"It's because I'm growing!" Soo Ae exclaimed proudly. "I want to be tall, like Uncle Se-Se!" 

"Uncle Se-Se?" Tao repeated amused and glanced at her for an explanation. 

"Tell you about it later," she promised. "We should catch a cab before they're all gone." 

*****

Chanyeol barely choked on his water at lunch when Sehun told him about Eun Bi's stay at his house and what his mother said that morning.

"Is your mother trying to turn reel into real?" He burst out with laughter again. "You and Eun Bi..." 

Nudging him hard Sehun narrowed his eyes, "Never! I'm not filming a reality show, so stop laughing. Your laugh pisses me off." 

"Why?" Chanyeol asked without sounding the least bit offended. "Experiencing firsthand marriage; that's something creative. I give your mom props." 

Sehun snorted, "What firsthand marriage? They're going to make me a prisoner in my own home." 

"Aw...come on," Chanyeol cooed. "Can't be that bad. Plus, Eun Bi's a pretty lady." 

"Then you woo her." 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes before stuffing himself with his salad. 

"What are you," Sehun stated, "on some diet?" 

"It's called a healthy lunch," Chanyeol knocked his empty water bottle against Sehun's head as he stood. "So you going to go home right after work? Experience what marriage is like?"

"You kidding me?" Sehun asked following him down the waxed hallway. 

"Then you're going to pick up your role as dad again?" He asked and received Sehun's heavy stare in return. Shrugging him off he went on, "Well it's either dad or husband."

"Why does it sound so bad when those words roll off your tongue?" 

Chuckling, Chanyeol went on, "Then why do you keep going to the daycare to pick up her kid? Don't tell me you're really expecting to be her father? Do you and Namjoo have a thing going on again?" 

"No!" Sehun denied loudly. "I'm just worried for them. How can I not be worried? You know how single mothers are treated in our society. Enough, I don't want to talk about it anymore. You wouldn't understand."

"Right." Chanyeol muttered stopping in his steps before following him down the hall.

Like usual, Sehun drove toward the daycare immediately after work. All he could think about was picking Soo Ae up and playing with her in the evening. The kid was adorable and he wanted to spend a lot of time with her. He wasn't perpetually good with children, but easygoing Soo Ae made it fun. It was like an addiction. 

Leaving his car in the lot he started into the building molted from mashed reddish-brown bricks covered in the deepest black color. It reminded him of a perfect home during the winters that would leave trails of smoke flowing through the chimney into the sky. A fence bordered the back surrounding the playground in the back yard and he could hear some of the children playing. A first glance showed him that Soo Ae wasn't among them.

Walking into the building he peered around the little area blanketed with a colorful carpet, little cubbies for drawing materials, and little dining tables. He spotted some mothers and fathers coming to pick up their children among the few that were inside and heard a little child crying over a missing shoe. He couldn’t see Soo Ae though. 

Sehun walked further in and stopped when he spotted the children's pictures glued to the walls with their names underneath. His eyes roamed over the poster and when he spotted smiling Soo Ae, felt a jolt of what it was to be proud of the little girl. He felt like she was the prettiest and smartest of the bunch. Soo Ae was definitely the best of the children.  

"Soo Ae's dad?"  

Surprised, Sehun turned around to see the manager of the daycare standing behind him. She was wearing a brown sweater, her hair short like a young boy's. Lines of age made her look extremely kind when she smiled and he thought she definitely looked like the mother of this home. 

"Are you here for Soo Ae?" She questioned. 

They'd talked on numerous occasions, many of which he was told how good of a girl Soo Ae was. Her behavior was beyond mature for a child her age. Once, he was even complimented for raising her so well.  

It never occurred to him to clarify the misunderstanding that he wasn't Soo Ae's dad.  

"Ah...yes, but I don't see her."

"Her mother picked her up half an hour ago." 

"She did?" Sehun raised his eyebrow surprised. 

Normally, Namjoo never got off work that early. There were many times she'd taken to working overtime so as to make more money, but leaving work early? He'd never heard of that.  

When he left the daycare he decided he'd stop by their house after grabbing some grocery from the store. While shopping he also took to grabbing some treats for Soo Ae. Thinking about how she would scream in joy made him happy. Making his way toward the freezer section for some ice cream he thought about buying some of those small shrimps Namjoo fancied. He'd only seen her eat the delicacies once before giving the rest to Soo Ae, who quickly forced them back onto her plate.  

Maybe, he thought, he should reward her for all her hard work. Along with Soo Ae, she also deserved to eat well.  

His phone started buzzing when he picked a package up.   

"What is it?" He asked when he saw that it was just his mom.  

"Where are you?"  

"I just got out of work."  

"Make sure to come home for dinner. Eun Bi's preparing something for you."  

"I have something important to do. You guys eat without me."  

"It's her first time preparing something for you. She's putting a lot of care and effort into it. Why can't you appreciate it? You better come home in time or I'm going to have your neck." 

She hung up even before he could retaliate, but he wasn't about to take her threat seriously. Quickly shoving her threat aside he headed toward the checkout aisle.  

He started toward Namjoo's happily, even took to humming a few songs along the drive. Pulling into the lot he grabbed the couple of bags from the backseat before starting toward the building.

Even though Namjoo's cooking was rather simplistic he was more comfortable with eating a meal prepared by her than someone like Eun Bi, who was trying to pave her way into his world. Spending his evening stuck at home was as boring as could be. He'd rather play with Soo Ae and watch cartoons out of his generation. Or maybe it had to do with spending his evenings with someone he could talk to comfortably unlike his old parents. Although a bit distant, Namjoo still talked with him comfortably never minding their past. Sehun thought he was a bit grateful for that.  

Sometimes when he thought about it, he couldn't believe that she'd become a mother, decided to become one. The changes he'd seen in her he would have never imagined made him feel glad...maybe proud if that was the word that described his feelings. On another level, he admired her...a lot, more than he used to. To be able to give up so much for one person, he didn't think he could do that, but Namjoo easily threw her life away for Soo Ae.  

When he got off the lift and began walking down the hall he slowly came to a stop. Just before him Namjoo was unlocking the door before holding it open for the man beside her.

A man...

He could see Soo Ae standing beside her looking up into his face the same way she looked into his. Pulling his hand she led him into the apartment, Namjoo calling after them before the door gradually closed.  

Sehun tightened his grip around the bags and thought to wait for the man to leave. Ten minutes passed by and he felt a sense of urgency, maybe impatience.  

Who was that man...to stay there so long?