Stretched To the Limit

The Greatest Adventure of All

I usually updated on the weekend but today's special since....well, it's my birthday and I want to give you, all my lovely readers a present :D

Thank you for reading this little story of mine. It may not be the most popular of my stories, but it have a special place in my heart and I'm so happy that you give it a chance :)

 

 

 

 

Yixing jolted awake with a gasp, woken up by his wife’s restlessness. He watched with bleary eyes as Xiuying rolled off the bed and onto her feet.

“Is it time?” he rasped, trying to wake his mind enough to run through the memorized list in his head.

There was a bag already packed by the door with Xiuying’s clothes and baby outfits and a few knick and knacks Xiuying insisted she couldn’t live without. His car keys were on the hook by the front door, the tank already filled to the brim with gas and the new baby car seat all strapped in.

Yixing already threw the blanket aside with one foot on the floor and one hand grabbing his phone, ready to call off the doctor when Xiuying answered.

“No,” her voice was exhausted as she waddled towards the bathroom. “I just have to go to the bathroom again.”

Yixing flopped back on the mattress, heart still beating frantically from the adrenaline rush that had come with the thought that Xiuying might be in labor. He felt as if he was suspended in a nerve-wrecking trip during the last few weeks now that Xiuying’s due date was getting near.

It wasn’t nearly this bad before but now that they were just days from the estimated due date Yixing felt like a rubber band, being stretched thin as far as it can go, juggling between trying to finish up the last few details of his next album so he won’t be disturbed during his leave of absence once the baby is born and fretting over Xiuying, calling her every hour when he’s not with her to make sure she’s alright.

But he knew what he felt was nothing compared to Xiuying.

Xiuying doesn’t sleep full nights anymore, getting up every few hours to pad to the bathroom since the baby start to push against her bladder. Yixing always woke up with her, watching and listening to make sure Xiuying was alright, waiting until Xiuying came out of the bathroom like now.

The light from the opened bathroom door was rather blinding, soft at it was and Xiuying mumbled sorry before closing the door behind her.

“Leave it,” Yixing said, voice croaked with lack of sleep. “It’s too dark in here and I don’t want you to stumble and fall.”

Even in the darkness Yixing could see Xiuying rolling her eyes as she let the bathroom door open just slightly, enough to illuminate the way back to bed. He watched her carefully as she cradled her swollen belly and walked with small steps, looking very pregnant and very tired and Yixing felt helpless over the whole situation.

He pulled the blanket up so she could ease her way in before lying on her side. Yixing pressed to her back, one hand resting on the side of her belly and trapped her feet with his legs, knowing that they’re always cold. She lifted his hand for a kiss in thanks before putting it back against her stomach.

“Sorry again,” she whispered again after some time.

“What for?”

“For waking you up.”

Yixing scoffed, pressing a kiss on her temple and tucked her head under his chin. “Just try to get some more sleep, baby.”

He could feel Xiuying nodded as she covered her yawn and settling more comfortably against his chest. Yixing hummed under his breath, hand tightening slightly around her stomach, holding the two most precious things in his life.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

By the time his alarm clock was ringing Yixing had been woken up two more times when Xiuying had to go to the bathroom again. He felt even more tired than when he went to sleep last night, but that was nothing compared to the dark bruises underneath Xiuying’s eyes that seemed to get darker by each day. He watched her with hawk-like eyes as she waddled to the kitchen, grimacing when he saw how her eyes seemed only half-open as she muttered good morning under her breath.

“Morning, baby. Sit down while I finish this, breakfast’s almost ready.”

She just grunted something insensible, small waddling steps until she reached the dining table. Xiuying had insisted she can still cook breakfast but when a few days back she had almost stumbled from where she was reaching into the high cupboard, an incident which Yixing was sure he lost ten-year’s worth of his life due to the mini heart attack he had over it, he had insisted to take over the cooking task.

“God, what I wouldn’t give for coffee right now,” Xiuying groaned as she plopped down on the dining table chair, burrowing her head on her propped up arms.

Yixing half smiled as he brought over the pancakes and tea he’d prepared. “You know what the doctor said.”

She waved him off with a flick of her wrist, lifting her head and scrunched her nose appreciatively at the smell of the herbal tea he’d put in front of her. “Yes, yes, I know. Just saying. If there’s ever a time I needed caffeine to kick off my morning, this would be it.”

He wisely kept his mouth shut as he pushed over the plate with pancakes, grabbing the bottle of chocolate syrup before she could even ask, poising the bottle over the stack of food.

“Just say when.”

He was torn between amusement over how her eyes sparkled with child-like joy and horrified by the amount of syrup he’d poured before Xiuying said it’s enough, the pancakes now drowning in the sticky, chocolate liquid.

Xiuying looked slightly more alive though as she grabbed the fork and began stuffing .

“This is so good!”

He grabbed the seat across from her, chuckling at the bit of syrup on the corner of . “Glad you approve, ma’am, though I’m not sure whether the compliment was for my actual cooking or the amount of diabetes-inducing sugar you poured into it.”

Xiuying waved her hand, pointing her fork at him. “Take it or leave it, mister.”

He held up his hands in surrender. “Fine, fine.”

She grinned, waving her fork around when it slipped from her slippery fingers, falling to the floor with a small clang. She paused, staring at her empty hand before looking down with a frown.

Yixing quickly got up, pulling open the side cupboard. “Stay where you are, I’ll get you another fork.”

The chuckle that answered him was small and tired. “Not like I could bend to get it even if I want to.”

Yixing was silent as he handed her the new utensil, barely replying the small smile she sent him as his eyes travelled down to her bulging stomach. Her stomach had gotten so big that she was unable to even bend down to pick up the smallest of things because she can’t stand up on her own anymore. The sight used to be endearing, but now all it does was make Yixing even more worried than usual.

“Are you sure you still want to go to work?”

The half-hearted glare she sent him over the rim of her cup was enough of an answer and Yixing swallowed down his sigh. They had agreed to wait until the last minute before Xiuying takes her maternity leave so that she can spend more time with the baby once she was born, but looking at the obvious exhaustion lining her face, he wondered whether he should’ve just force her to take that leave a week ago.

“It’ll be fine, Xing.”

He looked up from his disturbing thought to Xiuying’s smile, still bright even with the dark eye-bags and pale pallor of exhaustion.

“It’s only two more days until my leave, and most of the time I’m sitting down at work anyway. I can prevail until that time.”

“Maybe so, but I don’t like to see you this tired.”

Xiuying laughed, one hand caressing her stomach. “I’ll live. And besides,” Her eyes twinkled with that mischievous sparkle. “Me suffering so much for bringing her into this world? That’ll be good ammunition for when she’s having those horrible, teenager moods and being all hormonal and saying she hates us and stuff.”

Yixing frowned. “I don’t like the thought of her saying she hates her parents.”

“She’ll be a teenager, Xing. If she doesn’t resent us at least once, I wouldn’t think we’d done a good job.”

“No. Nope.” He shook his head resolutely. “She’ll be an angel, through and through. Just like you are.”

Xiuying raised her eyebrows, laughing out loud and looking thoroughly amused. “Really, Xing? Didn’t I tell you what a wild child I was back in my teenage years?”

Yixing froze. “That’s it. I’m putting iron bars on her windows and padlock her door.”

“Wow, if this is your reaction now I wonder what you’ll do when she brings home her first boyfriend.”

“Wha- b-boyfri-….NO DATING UNTIL SHE’S AT LEAST THIRTY FIVE!”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Yixing cursed his sweaty palm, his nervousness escalating when his fingers slipped on the smooth screen of his phone and the device remain unlocked. Finally he managed to press his speed dial, mumbling under his breath.

“Hello?”

“Xiuying? Are you alright?” He began to pace around his office, grabbing his bag from underneath his desk. “I’m so sorry I didn’t hear your call before, I was talking to the composer.”

“What? But I-“

“Is it time? Oh God, it is, isn’t it?! Okay, okay, …I’m on my way now, baby, just…just hang on, okay?”

“Yixing, I-“

“I’ll be there soon! I promise! I should call your parents….no, my parents, they’ll be closer! The bag! Don’t forget the bag!”

“Xing-“

“I’m on my way! Just wait, okay?”

“YIXING!”

Xiuying’s loud yell stopped him in his tracks, one foot already passed the doorway of his office, one hand gripping his car key so hard in his palm he was sure it would leave an indent later on.

“Yixing.” Xiuying sounded both exasperated and amused and for the life of him Yixing couldn’t understand why. “Take a deep breath and calm down.’

“How can I calm down?!” He bristled. “It’s time! You’re having our baby!”

“No, I’m not.”

A whoosh of breath escaped his lungs in a sudden and Yixing felt deflated, like a balloon that has been pricked by a needle forcefully. “…..You’re not?”

“I’m not.”

“Are you sure?”

Even without seeing it Yixing could picture Xiuying rolling her eyes. “I’m pretty sure I would know if it’s time for me to be in labor.”

His heart was still pounding frantically against his ribcage. “Then why did you call before?”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you; I didn’t call you.”

“What? B-but I have a missed call from your number.”

Xiuying hummed. “I must’ve pressed down on it by accident when I put the phone in my bag.”

Yixing sagged against the door, slowly letting himself fall down to the floor, ignoring the curious look he got from passerby. “So you’re sure you’re okay?”

“Yes.”

“And it’s not time yet?”

“Yes.”

“……really, really sure?”

Xiuying huffed. “Yes, I’m quite sure Yixing. Now, I’m going to hang up the phone and let you get back to work, okay?”

“….okay.”

Her voice softened, a hint of a smile coloring her voice. “Just think of it like this, Xing. The sooner you finish with your work, the sooner you can come home, okay?”

Yixing still stared at his phone long after she had hung up, willing his heart to beat slower so that he could finally get up from the floor. Though his legs refused to move and he resigned himself to stay on the floor, purposely ignoring the asking and concerned looks people were throwing at him.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

“Wow, you look like a truck went over you, then halted and going back just to make sure he got you again the second time.”

Yixing groaned and dropped his head on the desk. It was too early in the day to be handling Luhan. Well, perhaps not early, considering it was almost in the afternoon now. Still, he was not equipped to handle Luhan at the moment, what with the lack of sleep he’s been getting.

“What do you want?”

Luhan tilted his head, smirking as he looked him over. “What, is that how you greet your best friend, who came here all across town just to see you?”

“Not interested.”

“Really?” There was a tone in Luhan’s voice that let Yixing know the older man was smirking. “Not even for this wonderful cup of coffee I brought, loaded with a heavy dose of caffeine that I’m sure you need?”

At the mention of the drink Yixing’s head shot up. Coffee has been a rarity item in his household since the doctor forbid Xiuying from it and in an act of sympathy Yixing also refrained from drinking it in front of her. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t drink it out of home and by the way he was feeling now he needed the caffeine-laden liquid right now.

He made grabby hands towards the Styrofoam cup Luhan was dangling in front of him. The other man just laughed and moved it out of reach, giving it back only when Yixing started to growl.

The drink was hot and too bitter for his taste, but the caffeine in it succeeded in waking up his half-dead brain cells and Yixing leaned back into his chair with a contented sigh, ignoring Luhan’s amused chuckles.

“So…” he took another gulp before swiveling in his chair to look at Luhan. “What brought you here?”

Luhan just shrugged, throwing himself on the couch Yixing kept at his office. “Do I need to have a reason to visit my best friend?”

Yixing raised his eyebrows. “Luhan…..”

“Oh, fine. Xiuying texted me, saying that I should check up on you and making sure you have lunch and not dead from exhaustion at work.”

Yixing blinked, a small smile slowly spreading over his face. It was so easy with Xiuying, always have been. He’d been so caught up in taking care of her, just for her to turn it around on him.

“So, have you?”

Yixing was blinked out of his thought. “Uhm….have I what?”

Luhan rolled his eyes, an exasperated fond grin pulling his mouth up. “Have you had lunch yet? If not I was given specific instruction by Xiuying that I am supposed to drag you out and filled you with some healthy sustenance.”

He nodded with a grin, gesturing towards the box on his desk. “Yeah, I did. My manager brought over some takeout.” His grin grew wider at the sight of the takeout boxes; he wouldn’t be surprised if Xiuying also texted his manager, asking the other man to take care of him too.

Luhan nodded. “So, how’re you holding up?”

“Seriously?” Yixing sighed, taking a moment to gather his thought. “I felt like I’m being stretched to my limit. In one hand I have to concentrate in the new album, especially since I’ve promised my company I’ll have at least 90% of it ready so I can take some extended time off for when the baby comes. Then in the other hand I am all nervous and jittery over the baby’s coming that I feel like walking on eggshell half of the time.”

Luhan hummed. “And how’s Xiuying? When’s the baby due, anyway?”

“She hasn’t had a good sleep for the last couple of weeks what with the baby pushing and kicking her and I’ve been up with her every time she woke up. Thank God today’s the first day of her maternity leave, so I’m hoping she could at least get more rest now until the due date three days from now.”

“No wonder your eye bags could rival Tao’s.”

“Yeah well, that’s what you get when you only have three to four hours of sleep every night.”

Luhan raised his eyebrows. “Just like old times, huh? The good, old jolly time of being an idol in a boy band.”

Yixing groaned. “Please. I’m much too old for that. How did we ever survive back then anyway, with the lack of sleep, hard diet and constant work schedule they put us through?”

“Must’ve been our youth. Anyway,” Luhan stood up and walked over to Yixing’s desk, peering at his computer. “Show me those music you’re making for the new album. Your manager said that the materials are even better than your last one.”

Yixing grinned and clicked open a file, picking a particular song he was quite proud of, the one which he’d just finished arranging with the music director a couple of days ago.

They were in the middle of the song when Yixing’s phone light up with the special ringtone he use only for Xiuying. Luhan looked over at the device, gesturing for him to take the call.

“Put it on speakerphone, I want to report back to Xiuying that I’ve done the task she’d send me for.”

Yixing scoffed, putting the phone back on the desk before answering. “Hey Xiuying, what’s up?” he answered distractedly as he grabbed his cup of coffee, internally grimacing at the now cold drink.

Luhan opened his mouth, ready to greet her too when Xiuying’s voice came on the phone, rather quiet and strained.

“It’s not going to happen in the next five minutes, but I think we’re having a baby.”

Yixing spit out his coffee, drenching the computer screen and keyboard as Luhan’s half excited half terrified yelp rang loudly in his ear.

 

 

 

Next chapter will be the last one. The baby's finally coming :D