A New Beginning

The Greatest Adventure of All

Yixing looked up the moment the bathroom door opened, heart beating fast underneath his ribcage. The question burning at the tip of his tongue fizzled out at the sight of his wife’s crumpled face. Quickly he leaped up, arms already opened wide as she fell into him. He nuzzled her hair as one hand gripped her waist tight and the other ran comforting circles across her back.

Xiuying shuddered as she burrowed her head on the crook of his neck. For a moment they were silent before her shaky voice spoke out.

“It was a false alarm again.”

Yixing tightened his hold. He couldn’t deny the disappointment running through his veins but swallowed it down and kept his face neutral; she was more important at the moment.

“Then we’ll just try again.”

Xiuying shook her head, her hair tickling Yixing’s chin. “Like every time before this? Only to have us fail again and again?”

“Xiuying ….”

Her eyes were b with tears as she pulled away slightly, fear and anxiety swimming in those dark chocolate orbs.

“What if…what if the doctor was wrong, Xing?”

“Xiuying-”

“What if there’s something wrong with me?”

“Baby-“

“And that’s why we haven’t been able to get pregnant?”

“Enough.”

He didn’t mean to sound harsh and the hurt look on her face immediately added more to his increasing guilt. She made a move to get away but Yixing wouldn’t let her, hands even more gripping around her sides. She tried to resist but soon enough slumped back against him and he kissed her temple in apology.

“Baby, listen to me and listen well, okay?”

Xiuying didn’t say a thing but he could feel her nod as she once again wrapped her arms around him.

“The doctor already said that there’s nothing wrong, with both of us.”

She remained quiet but he could hear her soft sniffles as his shoulder getting wet and his heart broke.

“Then….why are we still unable to get pregnant?”

He rocked her slowly from side to side, rubbing his cheek at the side of her head until she looked up. She still sobbed softly and Yixing brought a hand to wipe her tears, leaving kisses on the wet trails making its way down her cheeks.

“Baby, please stop crying.”

Xiuying hiccupped through her tears. “I just…..We’ve been trying so hard!”

Yixing hummed. “I know.”

“Then why aren’t we?”

He sighed as he tucked her head back under his chin. “Just….perhaps it’s not time for us yet.”

Xiuying didn’t say anything but her soft sobs continued, tearing a little part of his own heart with every sad sound. Yixing gently led her backward until the back of his knee touched their bed and he sank down on the mattress, still holding her in his lap. He continued to rock her slowly, leaving kisses on her hair and cheek and any other part of her he could touch.

When her tears finally subsided he turned her around, her legs straddled his thighs and her hands found their place on his shoulders automatically and for some time he just stared at her silently. The morning light burst from the gap of their bedroom’s window, bathing her in a soft orange light and for the thousandth time since they met he thought she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen in his life.

Leaning up he rubbed his nose on hers, grinning in victory when it earned him a smile. It was small and strained, but at least it was a start. Tightening his hold on her, he braced himself for what he was about to say to her.

“Look, Xiuying, I have a suggestion.” So far so good since she just looked at him curiously, and he took a deep breath. “Why don’t we just forget about this whole baby business, hmm? Just for a while!” he quickly added when Xiuying looked both hurt and offended.

Xiuying tried to struggle out of his grasp to no avail since he got her locked in his arms. Finally she relented and glared suspiciously at him. “What are you saying, Yixing?”

“I just feel that we’ve been stressing ourselves out with worrying about getting pregnant.”

“I thought you want a family.”

“Of course I do!” He gave her a light peck, hearing the slight hurt in her voice. “My point is, I think we should take our mind off the whole thing for a while and just focus on other things. You also know what the doctor said; sometimes it’s best when we’re not trying too hard.”

Xiuying still looked skeptical. “What do you have in mind?”

“Well…..what do you think about a second honeymoon?”

“What?”

He shrugged. “We haven’t gone anywhere after our wedding except for our honeymoon trip and that was two years ago.”

“You’ve been busy with your album, and then there was also your concert.”

“Yes, yes, but that doesn’t mean I should just neglect you for that.”

“Your work is important.” She nudged his shoulder playfully. “I know that since the day I agreed to date one of China’s famous singer slash composer five years ago.”

“What, only one of the famous ones?” Yixing pushed his lips out in a mock pout and cheered internally when she snorted at his antic but still gave him a kiss.

“Fine, the most famous one. Happy now?”

“Infinitely. Still, no matter how important my work is, you are even more important than that.”

“What are you trying to say, Xing?”

“What would you say if I told you that I’ve got a two and a half week off next month?”

“….You’re kidding.” 

“Nope. I got it all cleared off with the management agency and they agreed to postpone some work until after we come back so tomorrow you’ll ask some time off from work for a well-deserved break. Now the real question is over where we should go. I was thinking Greece, didn’t you said once you always wanted to go to Athens?”

Her loud squeal deafened his ears and his breath was robbed out of his lungs when Xiuying pounced on him, effectually toppling him to the bed. But as she laughed and cried and kissed him all over, Yixing knew he made the right decision.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Yixing was exhausted as he straggled down the small path leading to his house. Work has been piling up ever since he got back from his holiday a month ago, his agency hounding him about a variety show they want him to emceeing and the work for his next album should also be start immediately especially since he already postponed it due to his trip.

Still, he thought with a smile, the hard work now was worth it for that precious second honeymoon. It has been a long time since he spends some quality time with his wife, he busy with his career while Xiuying herself was loaded down at the university she works as a lecturer at.

Still with a fond grin on, it took him some time before Yixing realized belatedly that something was up. It was already late at night and usually Xiuying would be curling on the couch watching old reruns and the house bathed in semi darkness with only the light of the TV. But tonight the house was washed in brightness, there was some soft music playing from the direction of the living room and Yixing noticed several fresh flowers arrangements scattered around the house.

Frowning slightly he continued on silent steps to peek around the corner and his eyes widened. The dinner table was set full with candles and his favorite meals and what was usually a welcome sight for most people just filled Yixing with dread.

Did he forget something again? Was it Valentine ’s Day, birthday, anniversaries? His eyes almost bulged out of his sockets at the last thought. Did he forget their wedding anniversary again? But that can’t be! He had given specific instruction to his personal assistant to always, always, always remind him a few days before the actual event so he won’t forget and yet the young man didn’t say anything about any special dates.

But if that’s not the case, then what was the special occasion?

“Oh, you’re home!”

Xiuying’s soft voice cut through his musing and Yixing looked up with what he hoped was a natural smile.

“Uhm…yeah, just now.”

“Good. Come on and sit down, I’m sure you forgot to eat again at the company.”

Yixing hid a grimace as his wife pushed him down on one of the dining table’s chair before taking the one opposite him. Why does she have to remind him of his forgetfulness? Sneaking a look at her, Xiuying didn’t look upset, though. In fact she was positively glowing, her smile wide as she scooped some food onto his plate.

“Xiuying…” He braved himself to ask. Better to have it now and face her wrath of yet forgetting another important date. “What’s the occasion for all this?”

“What, can’t I just cook a good dinner for my wonderful husband whom I love very, very much?”

There was a mischievous, teasing glint in her eyes that made him suspicious. “Really, Xiuying, what’s going on?”

She huffed and stood up, her voice trailing behind her as she popped into the kitchen and came quickly back, her hands behind her back. “Oh, very well. I was going to give you later but you spoil the surprise.”

Xiuying had a rectangular black box on one hand which she put in front of him. He looked up in asking but she only waved her hands, urging him to open it with an excited vibe. Slowly, hesitantly, Yixing grabbed the box and pulled off the lid.

Inside was a white stick, so familiar to him though never using it for himself. His hand shook terribly as he gingerly pick the stick up, eyes blinking rapidly as he registered two faint pink lines on it.

Underneath the stick was a folded white note, the logo of a hospital at the top left corner when he opened it. He read and reread the lines over and over again, his eyes watered and his smile got bigger with every repetition. It was a glimpse of the future, awash in typed, neat characters.

“Remember how I was always woozy and exhausted last week, how I always throw up and we thought I had some food poisoning?”

Yixing looked up at Xiuying with blurry vision and saw her own eyes were watery though she had the biggest smile on.

“I had some suspicion but didn’t want to raise your hopes up. So I took a test and when that comes out positive, I made an appointment with the doctor.”

Yixing dropped the note, the blood rushing in his ears, and leaped up out of his chair with a loud whoop, pulling her into a hug that lifted her off from the ground, her bubbles of laughter now replacing the rushing blood in his ears. When he finally put her back on the ground he pulled back to stare at her face, his hands fitting against her cheeks and rained kisses everywhere he could; her hair, her neck, shoulder, cheek, noses.

“You’re pregnant,” he murmured with every kiss. “We’re pregnant!”

She let out a mixture of a chuckle and a sob. “I am. We are.”

He pulled her with him as he sat back down on the chair. “Oh God, Xiuying. I love you so, so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“I love you too,” she answered, hands tight at the back of his shirt. “We’re gonna be parents!”

Yixing burrowed his head on her shoulder, the corner of his eyes fixed on the note that was still laid open on the table.

“Yeah,” he murmured, pressing a soft kiss behind her ear as one hand sneaked under her shirt, palming her still flat stomach. “We really are.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've never been pregnant before and did my research online so I'm pretty sure there's some inaccuracies OTL

Hope you still enjoy the first chapter :D