Chapter 18

Back then, right now

"Soojung." Sehun pronounced her name with an expression as if he ate something sour. Soojung noticed the gloomy expression on his face and bit her lip. Her heart was trembling, so were her hands. Sehun still had the same effect on her. And she resented him for that. She wanted to say something, however she didn't know what. But, before she could even say anything Sehun spoke. 

 
"What brings you here?" 
 
"Where's Luhan?" Soojung whispered, eyeing everything, but the man in front of her. 
 
"He went out." Sehun gulped nervously as he eyed her. She had changed a lot. Her hair was longer and she seemed to have lost a lot of weight. Sehun wanted to tell her to eat more, but who was he to say that? 
 
He didn't just notice the physical changes, Soojung had an aura like a completely different person. The innocent and cute vibe was long gone and was replaced by an unfamiliar mature one. Her once shiny eyes looked colder and harsher. 
 
"Oh, I see," Soojung turned around, "I'll just call him." But after a few steps, she suddenly walked back to him. 
 
"Actually, I want to have a talk with you." And this time, her voice didn't crack, nor did it tremble. She sounded very confident that she even surprised herself. 
 
Sehun was taken aback first, but nodded and opened the door, revealing a spacious room with two beds and a few furnitures. The right side of the room, with the bigger bed was a mess and it didn't take a genius to figure out that was Sehun's. 
He was still the same. In contrast, the left side was much cleaner. Luhan was a germaphobe after all. 
 
"Uhm," Sehun fixed his voice, "I'm kinda short on time. Can you hurry up?" 
 
Soojung clenched her fists. He wanted her to hurry up? After all the pain he made her go through, he didn't even have time to talk? She wanted to scream and hit him. But, the more rational self was telling her not to do that. 
 
"In that case, I won't beat around the bush. Answer me, why did you cheat on me?" Soojung inhaled deeply as her heart started racing up. She didn't know what kind of an answer he'd give, but it sure made her anxious. Her heart was clenching painfully as she waited for the asnwer. 
 
"Simple," Sehun sighed, "my feelings changed. After hanging out with Nana a lot, I realized that I had developed feelings for her. And luckily, she reciprocated them. But don't be so sad, I really did love you." 
 
Sehun's own chest twisted as he saw the expression on Soojung's face. She had a blank face, but her eyes held thousands of emotions. That alone was enough for Sehun to curse himself for spitting out those horrible words. He was lying, but he still wounded her deeply. Again. No matter how much he tried, he couldn't avoid hurting Soojung. 
 
He wanted to hug her, apologize over and over again. Sehun wanted to say that everything he did up until now was just a part of his plan, but how could he say that? If he gave up now, all the things he sacrificed to be able to stand right where he was, would go to waste. He couldn't give up. Sehun swallowed the lump in his throat and looked at Soojung with determined eyes. All the insecurities, all the pain were hidden behind the icy eyes. Soojung recognized them immediately. He had exactly the same eyes when he looked at her while kissing Nana. Those painfully familiar, yet unfamiliar cold eyes. 
 
"I'm in a hurry." Sehun said nonchalantly as he looked at his watch. 
 
Soojung was at loss of words. She was simply speechless. Oh Sehun was a totally different person. A stranger. The caring boy wasn't there anymore. Her heart regained it's normal speed. But, it still hurt. The lingering pain didn't go anywhere. 
 
"You know, Sehun...I really loved you." She took a deep breath. "I'm happy you also loved me. So, I guess this is time for goodbye. I just needed a proper closure, you see."
 
Soojung quickly walked towards the door, but before leaving she turned around to look at his eyes. Sehun tried to hide the tears that were threatening to fall. Maybe, if Soojung's sight hadn't been blurred by tears she would've seen that he was also suffering. But, she didn't see. 
 
"Live well, ing cheater." 
 
And with that she was gone. Sehun let her slip through his fingers. No, the word slip wasn't correct. He willingly let her go. 
 
Sehun kneeled down and wiped the tears that he refused to shed for a long time. His heart was being shred into pieces. Maybe, he deserved it. 
 
Only, Sehun didn't know that behind the wooden door, the girl whose heart  was crushed by him many times was also crying her heart out. Ironic, wasn't it? The person, whom he tried so hard to keep safe and unharmed ended up getting wounded once again. 
 
Soojung finally stood up from her kneeling position. She didn't want to risk seeing Sehun. He said he was in a hurry, yet he didn't even bother to go out of his room. 
 
"Guess you wanted to shoo me away, huh?" She muttered under her breath as she fixed her clothes. 
 
"Oh Sehun, this was the last time I shed tears because of you." 
 
Step by step, she reached the first floor. The rational self was telling her to leave this place as soon as possible, but the irrational self, that followed her heart refused to. 
 
Soojung unwillingly opened the door and she felt as if the breeze softly patted her tearstained cheeks. She wondered if it tried to lift up her mood. Maybe.
 
When she stepped outside, her gaze landed on Kris, who was rubbing his palms. His red nose indicated he was very cold. 
 
"Hey there." 
 
"Oh, Jung! How did it go?" He looked eager to hear something, but all he got was a simple nod of her head. 
 
"Hey, something wrong?" His concerned face suddenly made Soojung feel guilty. 
 
"No, not really. He's a jerk. I should've known." She bitterly muttered. 
 
"Forget him." His deep voice made her feel calmer. But Soojung couldn't stop herself from thinking about him. 
 
"I'll try." Her voice came out like a whisper, but Kris heard it nonetheless. He extended his hands and pulled Soojung for a hug. She was dumbfounded, so she couldn't resist.
 
"I'll help you. So, count on me, Jung."