Episode 9: Misfortune for Friends

Yu Yu Hakusho S.C. : Dark Tournament Saga

Dreams… They were foreign to Horuna. For the longest, nightmares had become her only ally while she slept each night. To be able to dream once more was a pleasing feeling to Horuna. However, it didn’t last long for a strange noise made her jolt out of her dream world.

Horuna clung to the covers as she sat up in her bed. She looked around frantically in fear as she checked her surroundings. She soon calmed down when she realized that her fears were just a figment of her imagination.

She looked over toward Kimika’s bed to see if she was the cause of the noises, but it wasn’t her. She was snuggled tightly under her covers sleeping soundly. Horuna decided to investigate the strange noise.

She grabbed her robes and wrapped herself tightly in them. Then she slipped her feet into her slippers and quietly left her room.

The midnight shadows hung heavily in the corridors. The darkness made it difficult for Horuna to see, but she continued on toward the soft rustles echoing off the walls. It didn’t take long for her to locate where the source of the sound was coming from.

The strange sounds seemed to originate from the sitting room so Horuna cautiously walked towards it to discover the cause. She entered the room quietly as she spied on what was lurking inside. She looked in the shadows that were circling around a soft glow coming from the center of the room. Horuna moved in closer as she tried to see the source of the light.

When she moved in closer, she saw Makoto dressed in her pajamas flipping through a stack of papers. She was so absorbed in looking them over that she didn’t even notice Horuna’s presence.

“Those papers must be very important if they are keeping you up this late. What are they about?” Horuna asked softly as she peered over Makoto’s shoulder at the papers she was reading intently.

“Horuna?! What are you doing up? I thought you were asleep.” Makoto whispered softly jumping in surprise at Horuna’s sudden appearance.

“I was asleep. But I woke up when I heard strange sounds so I had to check it out. I wanted to make sure that it wasn’t an intruder.” Horuna answered gently while she looked down at Makoto smiling warmly.

“An intruder? No. I wouldn’t let that happen. It was just me. I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that I was so noisy. Now that you know there isn’t anything to worry about, you can go back to sleep.” Makoto spoke indifferently as she turned away from Horuna. She turned back towards the stack of papers in her hands.

“I don’t think that I can go to sleep now since I have been awake for a while.” Horuna responded gently while she sat next to Makoto on the couch. “What’s so important about those papers that you are obsessing over?”

“These papers contain a long list of demon names who are substitute fighters for the dark tournament. I have to pick two of them to fight with me in the exhibition match, but I am having a hard time choosing which ones I want.” Makoto responded softly while remaining focused on the list of names.

“Why is it difficult for you to decide?” Horuna asked intrigued while she peered down at the papers that Makoto placed on the table.

“I don’t really trust demons. In the face of danger, they will turn tail and run away especially low level demons like these. I need to have someone on my team who I can trust. Since I don’t know anything about our opponent, I need a team who will stand by me no matter what.”

“You really can’t say that you don’t trust any demons. You trust me. And I’m a demon. So why don’t you let me join your team?” Horuna smiled warmly at her friend as she spoke her proposal.

The content of Horuna’s sweet proposal surprised Makoto so much that she had to look away from what she was doing.

“Thanks for the gesture, Horuna. But I don’t want to put you in danger. Since I’m not sure who I’m fighting against, I am not sure if you will be strong enough to fight on my team.” Makoto answered with an eyebrow raised.

“I understand that you have doubts about my strength because of how we met, but I’m actually very strong. Before I was captured, I evaded bounty hunters and demon catchers for many years. I’m very skilled in many different types of martial arts.” Horuna informed softly.

Makoto remained quiet for a few moments before finally responding. “I guess I have no other choice. I don’t have much time to choose anyway. I have to trust your word. I’ll also need your help deciding who our final teammate will be.”

“I can do that. With the both of us searching through these papers, we will be able to choose quicker.” Horuna smiled warmly. She grabbed some of the papers from the list and began flipping through them.

 

The light of the moon outlined the dark ocean in a heavenly white glow as the waves crashed rhythmically against the shore. The white sand felt cool against Kurama’s feet as he slowly strolled along the shore. He took a deep breath as he watched the waves in wonder.

The day was drawing near. Their match was growing closer. Dr. Ichigaki’s team seemed to be very formidable. Even though they were humans, their abilities were incredible. With his team’s current state, maybe Kimika had a good reason to worry.

“You shouldn’t doubt yourself, Kurama. Doubt is a weakness that you can’t afford to possess before going into a fight.”

The sound of a familiar voice in Kurama’s ear paralyzed his body. The soft sound of its hush whisper sent a strange sensation through his entire being. The sensation grew rapidly when the gentle touch of its owner’s hands brushed against his shoulders.

“Makoto? What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be resting for your match?” Kurama asked softly as he tried to regain control of his body.

“I should, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t go to sleep.” She wrapped her arms around him draping them over his shoulders slowly pulling him closer. “Something won’t let me sleep.”

Kurama could feel his pulse quicken when she placed her chin gently on his shoulder. The gentle touch of her smooth skin against his ear made his paralyzed state become more intense. The heat of her body made it difficult for him to talk as she gently pulled him down onto the cool sand.

“What’s preventing you from sleeping?” He slowly faced the beautiful goddess who had him helplessly captured in her warm embrace.

“I’m surprised that you couldn’t tell already.” Her deep dark brown eyes captivated him as they gazed at him warmly. She pulled him tighter toward her chest allowing him to feel the heat of her desire for him. “You are the reason I’m restless, Kurama.”

                   An intense heat began to engulf Kurama’s body at Makoto’s words. His face began to grow red as the heat slowly captured his entire body. The heat also seemed to affect the air surrounding him causing it to thin and making it difficult for him to speak. In his strange state, he could only speak in hushed whispers.

          “I don’t understand. How am I the reason that you’re restless?”

          Makoto tightened her grip around him, drawing her lips close to his cheek. A small seductive smile crossed her lips in response of Kurama’s question. Her lips gently caressed his skin before she voiced a response.

          “Ever since we kissed on the beach, there hasn’t been a moment that I haven’t thought about you. No matter how hard I try to hide it, I can’t. I use any excuse I can to be close to you. I know that I shouldn’t feel this way, but I can’t fight how I feel anymore. I want you, Kurama… Only you.”

          Kurama turned around to face Makoto. His magnificent emerald eyes were large in shock of her words. He was completely paralyzed in surprise of her revelation. He was unable to do anything in response.

          As if aware of his weakness, Makoto took control of the moment and claimed his lips with her own. He didn’t resist for she did exactly what he desired.

          He fell under the hypnotic spell of her passionate kiss. The soft intensity of their kiss made his body begin to act on its own. His arms engulfed her body into their strong embrace as he lifted her onto his lap.

          His hands separated to travel all over her body journeying over her delicate curves. They only settled when they found the areas that they desired most. One settled at the curve of her back while the other nestled in the soft waves of her raven hair.

          He cradled her softly as he felt her own embrace tighten around his body. The passion of their kiss had him under its complete control. He was trapped in the heat of their embrace, desire, and passion. The army of feelings that he was feeling at that moment, he didn’t want to ever lose them. But just as their beautiful encounter was becoming more intimate, the beautiful vision disappeared abruptly.

 

          Kurama shot up out of his dream as a cool late night wind blew in from the window. His heart sounded ferociously in his chest. He hunched over in slight pain holding his head in his hands.

          Fate was cruel. How could he have such a realistic dream? Why would fate torture him with emotions and desires that he shouldn’t possess?

          He was at a loss. He couldn’t understand how he could dream of Makoto in such a way. He made a promise to her that he would control his desires in respect of her. But if he continued to have dreams like that, then that promise will be impossible to keep.

          No matter the truth that was hidden in them, he couldn’t act on them. He had to suppress all of the desires growing deep down inside of him. He had to do it not only for her, but for himself.

 

          As Horuna and Makoto tirelessly flipped through the substitute registers, the front door of Makoto’s suite opened. They were so absorbed in their determination to find one good teammate that they didn’t notice someone lurking in the shadows of the room. They didn’t even hear the door as it gently closed behind them. But by their delicate stride, it was obvious that they noticed them.

          “Makoto… Horuna, I’m surprised to see you two up. What are you doing up so late?” Kimika asked in slight wonder as she watched her two friends sitting in the light of the fireplace.

          “Kimika! I should ask you the same thing! I thought that you were asleep!” Horuna exclaimed in surprise of Kimika’s sudden appearance.

          “I have to agree with Horuna. I also thought that you were asleep. When did you leave?” Makoto added softly, looking at Kimika with an eyebrow raised.

          “I never returned after I watched yesterday’s matches. I should feel upset because you didn’t notice that I haven’t been here at all, but I will let that go. Tell me what you are doing.” Kimika answered sweetly while taking a seat on the sofa across from them. She smiled at them softly as she waited for a response.

          “We are trying to find a third teammate to fight with us in the exhibition match.” Horuna answered softly before returning her gaze back to the list of names.

          “Really? Well look no further! I will join your team and be your third teammate!” Kimika volunteered cheerfully, throwing her arms up in the air to her side.

          A moment of silence hung heavily in the room before Makoto broke out into a roar of laughter.

          “HA HA HA!!! You have to be kidding me, Kimika! There’s no way that you could be on my team! You can’t fight!” Makoto laughed loudly as she shot down Kimika’s proposal.

          “You are wrong. I can fight very well. Besides I have been training vigorously and I have grown stronger.” Kimika assured loudly as she met Makoto’s look of amusement with one of strength and intense determination.

          Makoto’s laughter immediately died when she saw Kimika’s determination. She looked at her with a strong look of wonder.

          “Oh Really? When? And who have you been training with?”

          “I train by myself whenever I can. I am actually returning from training.” Kimika answered softly while trying not to break her gaze with Makoto.

          “I’m not sure…” Makoto said softly looking at her unconvinced.

          “Well whether you are sure or not, we might have to take a chance on her. You said it yourself that you wanted someone who you can trust to be on your team. Who can you trust more than Kimika? She is our friend.”  Horuna said gently reminding Makoto of her situation.

          Makoto glared at Kimika a moment longer before looking away and sighing reluctantly.

          “You are right, Horuna. Kimika might be our best option at this moment.” Makoto placed the stack of papers on the table and rose from the couch. “Since we have found our third teammate, we should rest some before heading to the ring. We can’t afford to be tired or late.”

 

          Horuna couldn’t tell if it was the glow of the early morning or her anxiousness that caused her to rise so early. She couldn’t rest for there was something weighing heavy on her mind. She didn’t know what it was, but she had a strange feeling that wouldn’t go away.

          She tide her long raven hair back into a ponytail while she started to get ready for the day. She threw off her night gown and quickly changed into a beautiful pink and purple kimono that Makoto gave her. She wrapped the soft silk fabric around her body gently snuggling it for a moment. She had never worn anything as beautiful like this kimono in a very long time.

She couldn’t believe that Makoto would give her something like that. Horuna was still taken aback by the kindness of her new friends. It would take a while for her to grow used to such kindness after witnessing nothing, but pain and suffering most of her life. She didn’t mind how long it would take to get used to it for living many years with happiness and friendship was better than the hell she once knew.

After tying her obi and slipping on her sandals, Horuna headed to the ring. It was still very early so she didn’t want to wake Kimika just yet. She was too anxious to just wait around. She wanted to experience some more of her new found freedom.

                          

The light of the early morning sun shone softly through the forest trees. Horuna strolled slowly through the forest while she enjoyed the beautiful sight around her. The majestic glow of the sun shining through the leaves calmed Horuna’s worrying thoughts. It slowly put her mind at ease.

It had been some time since she had seen a sight as beautiful as the one before her. She was imprisoned for so long that she couldn’t even remember the last time she saw a sunrise. She never had the freedom to enjoy one in a very long time. Finally, she had the time and freedom to appreciate such things. It was all thanks to her brother and her new friends.

“I guess it will be a while until you become used to your new life?”

Horuna broke out of her peaceful state and turned towards the direction of the voice in surprise.

“I didn’t realize you were here, big brother. Why are you awake this early? Shouldn’t you be resting for your match later today?”

“I’m usually awake at this time. I won’t rest until this tournament is finally over.” He peered down at Horuna indifferently from the tree branch he was standing on. “I’m surprised that you are out here by yourself at this time. You must be growing used to your new found freedom?”

She nodded gently in response while a small smile of gratitude crossed her lips. “Yes. I am. I have you to thank for that.”

 “I’ve told you already that you don’t need to thank me. I’m relieved that you are adjusting so easily, but you still need to be careful. We might have defeated your captor and his men, but you are still in danger. You are a very desired. There will be more greedy humans, apparitions, and bounty hunters coming after you. I don’t want you walking around this island on your own. You could be targeted at any time especially if they realize who you really are.”

Surprise took over Horuna when she noticed Hiei’s concern for her. For so long, she was on her own living a life where the only things fueling others’ concern for her were their greed and fear. Seeing someone showing concern for her out of love was still very new to her.

It was a surprising sight, but it was also very precious. She desired for so long to be able to witness such a sight. It was indescribable how it made her feel to finally be cared for.

“Alright, older brother. I will try to be more careful and do as you say in the future.” Horuna nodded gently in response.

“Good. I guess I will accompany you for now. Where are you going anyway?” Hiei jumped down by Horuna’s side and began to walk with her along the forest path.

“I’m heading to the ring for the exhibition match.”  Horuna answered simply while she slowly kept pace with Hiei’s stride.

 “I didn’t know you were a fan of the dark tournament. You know that fight isn’t going to begin for several hours.” Hiei looked at her with slight intrigue.

“I’m not a fan of this tournament. I think the senseless fighting is degrading to apparitions. Risking their lives as mere amusement for greedy human millionaires, it’s despicable.” Annoyance began to taint her at the thought of the people who ran the tournament, but it soon faded when it was replaced with a more pleasing thought. The thought of why she was going to the match. “I’m going to the ring because I’m fighting in the exhibition match with Makoto and Kimika.”

“I had no idea that you or Kimika were fighting in that match with Makoto. I’m not sure that’s a good idea.” His voice was emotionless in his response, hiding his true feelings for this new discovery. He tucked his left hand into his pocket and began to slow his pace slightly.

“Why do you think that it isn’t?” Horuna questioned in surprise.

“Because it’s too dangerous. I don’t know who will be fighting against Makoto in the exhibition match; but whomever they are, they will most likely be incredibly strong…”

“I wish that I could do as you wish, but I can’t. I made a promise to Makoto that I refuse to break. This is the least I could do for her. She is my friend. She needs my help. I can’t let her down.” Horuna shifted her gaze down to the forest floor in front of her as her heart began to swell slightly at her brother’s growing concern. A small smile crossed her lips as the warm feeling began to overwhelm her. “I’m very grateful for your concern. You don’t know how much it means to me.”

“Hnnn… I should have known that you wouldn’t comply with that. It would be against your nature. I guess I have no choice. I have to just support you from the sidelines and hope that you win.” Hiei sighed when he realized there was no way to convince her otherwise.

“Thank you. I appreciate that. I will do my absolute best so you won’t have to worry about me.” Horuna looked up at her brother lovingly. Her smile growing along with her warmth.

“That’s impossible. No matter how hard you try, there’s nothing you could do to make me stop worrying about you. It’s an annoying trait that comes along with being your older brother.”

“Well I guess that’s something that I’ll have to get used to.” Hiei could see how happy Horuna was by her growing smile. He liked seeing her in such a peaceful way. Horuna covered trying to conceal her growing happiness. “I wonder if Yukina will be the same way. I hope so. I can’t wait to see her again.”

Hiei stopped walking when he heard Horuna’s words. His blood froze in his veins and his heart fell. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before responding.

“Horuna, wait. There is something that you need to know and understand.” A frown crossed his lips as he started his explanation.

Horuna was so caught up in her happy thoughts of the future that she didn’t notice Hiei stop walking right away. When she finally realized that he did, there was a great distance between them. She stopped walking and turned to face him. Her smile faded when she noticed the seriousness in his tone and expression. Fear filled her heart about what her brother was about to say.

“What’s wrong? Has something happened to our sister?”

Hiei shook his head. “No. She is fine. But you can’t let her know that you are her sister. She has no idea of your existence. It would be better if it remains that way.”

“But why?! I have risked so much to be reunited with her! Why can’t she know who I am to her?!” Horuna demanded angrily in confusion at Hiei’s request.

“I understand everything that you went through to be reunited with us, but for her sake it’s better if you don’t tell her who you are to her.” His voice was cold and emotionless when he spoke to her. “With your rarity, bounty hunters and demons will come after you nonstop. They will use whatever they can against you to capture you. That means they will come after your friends and family. The girls and I can handle ourselves against them, but Yukina can’t. If it’s discovered that she is our sister, they will use her to get to you. For now, it’s best if you stay away from her and keep quiet about your relation to her. Also you should hide the fact that you are an Ice Maiden. From this moment on, you will be solely known as a fire demon.”

Horuna’s eyes grew wide in awe at her brother’s words. She couldn’t believe what he was asking of her. Not only did he want her to lie about who she truly was, but he also wanted her to betray one of her heart’s deepest desires. Could she really do as he wanted?

A part of her wanted to do as her brother said because his words were true. Yukina was an ice maiden which made her a rarity as well, but not many bounty hunters came after them like they did Horuna. It would be much safer if she wasn’t known as her relative. But she didn’t want to suppress what she always wanted. She would do anything for her brother, but she wasn’t sure if she could do this.

Hiei could tell by the look in her eyes that he was asking too much of her. He didn’t want to do that to her, but he had no other choice. It was safer for Yukina if she wasn’t known as their sister. No one would come after her. She would be free from the terrors of their pasts. He just hoped that Horuna would understand.

“I will do as you wish.” Horuna answered faint heartedly.

Hiei’s expression softened when he saw Horuna’s watery eyes when their glances met briefly. She tried to hide them behind her raven bangs when she began to walk again, but he could see them clearly. Her heart was breaking. And he was to blame.

He wanted to say something to ease her pain, but he knew there was nothing that he could say. He could give her false reassurance that one day in the future she could tell Yukina her true identity, but that wouldn’t be right. It would give her hope, but only for a while.

Hiei had to live with the fact that there was nothing he could do to help Horuna. The only thing he could do for her was remain by her side. Maybe by doing that, he could ease the pain she bares from keeping their secret.

 

A loud rapid pounding upon the front door of Makoto’s suite woke Kimika from her sleep. Kimika jumped out of her bed startled, pulled her robe tightly around her body, and ran to answer the door.

“Coming! Coming!” Kimika called out as she dashed to the door and unlocked it.

Kimika fumbled with the locks as fast as fingers would let her. When she finally unlocked all locks, she stood in surprise of the person waiting on the other side. It was Kurama.

He stood there in a daze. He seemed to be so caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t recognize her after she opened the door. He only stood there glancing at the painting on the wall across from the door.

“Big Brother? I’m surprised to see you this early in the morning. Please Come in.”

“Thanks, Kimi. I didn’t mean to disturb you.” Kurama spoke softly as he strolled past Kimika and into the suite. He walked over to the sitting area and paused until he was adjacent to the hall leading to their bedrooms. He looked over at them for a moment before returning his gaze to Kimika. “Are you the only one here?”

“Actually I am. Why do you ask? Did you come to see me about something?” Kimika asked warmly while looking him in wonder when she noticed his strange behavior.

“I am actually here for another reason.” Kurama answered simply.

Kimika didn’t need to use her empathic powers to know that there was something wrong with her brother. Even though he was there in front of her, his mind seemed to be somewhere else. His expression was unreadable, but she could tell that he was longing for something.

There was a possibility that he was just concerned about his match later that day. Or there was something else weighing on his mind. She had no idea… There was only one thing that she believed would move him to come to this suite other than her.

“You were looking for Makoto? Weren’t you, big brother?”

Kurama looked at her wide-eyed for a moment before turning away from her.

“I only came to wish her good luck on her match.” Kurama answered indifferently. “Since she isn’t here, I should leave and prepare for my own match.”

“If you came to wish her good luck, then you should wish me good luck as well.” Kimika said cheerfully while she loving grabbed onto his arm.

“Why is that?” Kurama asked in surprise.

“I will be fighting on Makoto’s team in the exhibition match along with Horuna.”

Kurama could see that she was beaming with excitement, but he couldn’t share her feelings. Her words gave him concern. Kimika was many things, but a fighter wasn’t one.

He could tell by her expression that there probably wouldn’t be anything he could say or do to convince her otherwise. No matter how concerned he was for his sister, he would need to conceal how he felt. She seemed determined to fight on Makoto’s team. There was no way to stop her once she was like that.

“Very well, Kimi. I wish you good luck. Please be careful.” Kurama spoke gently while trying to match her smile with a small grin of his own.

“Thank you, big brother. I will do my best.” Kimika answered while saluting him playfully after letting go of his arm.

Her smile soon faded. She trained her soft emerald eyes on her brother as she felt a strange sensation come over her. “Please tell me the truth. Did you really come here only to wish Makoto good luck? Or was there another reason you came here?”

Kurama became paralyzed by her words. He was too caught up with his own desires that he completely forgot about his sister’s empathic ability. She must have picked up his true feelings when she grabbed onto him. He didn’t know what to say in response to her inquiry so he remained silent.

Kimika could tell by his silence that he was hesitant to talk to her about his true intentions. She closed her eyes smiling warmly.

“You know that I don’t care if you like her. As long as you are happy, that’s all that matters to me.”

He couldn’t tell if it was his sister’s warmth or her caring words that shocked him more. He had her approval to pursue Makoto even though he didn’t ask for it. He wanted to thank her and tell her the truth that he wasn’t planning on pursuing his desires for Makoto anytime soon even though he wanted to. He had to ignore his own desires out of respect for her, but gaining his sister’s approval was slightly changing his resolve.

A small grin returned to Kurama’s face when he finally responded. “I wouldn’t expect anything less from you. Let me walk you to the ring. I can’t wait to see your match.”

“I would love that, but you can go ahead of me. I want to wash up and change first. It will take a while. I don’t want you to grow bored of waiting for me.” Kimika declined sweetly.

“Fine. I will meet you there. You should hurry though. It is almost time for your match to begin.”

Kurama kissed his sister gently on her cheek before taking his leave. He tried his best not to voice any protest or concern even though he wanted to. She would be fine regardless of what his worries made him believe. What could possibly go wrong if she headed there on her own?

 

There was still one hour left before they announced the exhibition match. Makoto waited patiently in the locker room for Horuna and Kimika to arrive. She leaned against the wall looking quietly out the window. She tucked her hands into her jeans’ pockets while she observed the crowd gathering outside.

There were still many demons gathered outside fighting to enter the arena. She arrived early so she could avoid the chaos. It was almost impossible to find the entrance for the ring when there was that much commotion outside. She just hoped the girls would have no trouble finding it.

“You seem worried. I didn’t know that the rogue goddess, Rika Makoto, could become worried. I didn’t think you possessed that feeling.”

Makoto quickly turned around when she heard the sound of a familiar voice. Her body tensed as her irritation began to rise inside her.

“Koenma!...” Makoto snapped angrily. “What are you doing here?!”

“I am the owner of Team Urameshi.” Koenma smirked coldly while matching her angry gaze with an indifferent one of his own.

“So… Your team doesn’t fight for a few hours. Why are you here now?” By just his presence, Makoto’s rage began to grow rapidly.

“I know that. I have some official business to tend to before the match.”

“Official business, huh?” Makoto closed her eyes while a small smirk of dark amusement crossed her lips. “If your official business is with me, then you are sadly mistaken. Fortunately, I don’t have another fiancé that you can have assassinated.”

 “You are the one who’s mistaken. Suzaku wasn’t assassinated. Yusuke had to stop him at any cost for the world’s sake.” Koenma remained emotionless as he answered Makoto.

“You can use that righteous justice crap to try and justify what you did. But you know very well that your reason for having my Suzaku taken out was more personal than that.” Makoto growled angrily at Koenma’s cold attitude toward Suzaku’s death.

Koenma shook his head no in response to her words. “You are too grief stricken to understand this now. Hopefully, one day soon you will. I didn’t send Yusuke after Suzaku for any personal reasons. I sent him out of necessity and nothing more.”

“I don’t believe you!” Makoto yelled in anger trying desperately to hold back the tears that threatened to fall. Her energy began to rise quickly along with her growing fury. Her brown eyes began to flicker pink as she began to transform into Rika. Her long black hair flickered to silver as her rage began to slowly consume her.

“I will make you pay for what you did, Koenma! I promise you that!”

With those final words, a lightning bolt struck where Makoto was standing. When its blinding light faded, the goddess was nowhere to be seen. Koenma sighed as he looked at the place where she once stood.

A few words of reassurance wouldn’t convince her about the truth of the demon she once loved. There was nothing he could do or say to make her see who he really was and the chaos he brought upon the world. He couldn’t show her something that she didn’t want to see. She had to realize it on her own.

 

The traffic outside the arena was immense with the last minute arrivals trying to be seated within the last forty-five minutes before the start of the exhibition match. That made it very difficult for Kimika. She ran around pushing her way through the crowd of apparitions.

Worry filled Kimika as she looked frantically for the side entrance for participants. If she had to force her way past all of the apparitions to go through the front door, then she wouldn’t make it on time. She ran as fast as she could until she finally came upon an entrance.

When she went inside, she became even more confused for there was a maze of hallways surrounding her without any signs telling where each led. Kimika wasn’t sure which way she should go.

She looked around for a few moments searching for some sign to lead her to the arena. Kimika stood in the middle of the intersection of the hallways and looked around frantically. She promised Makoto that she wouldn’t be late. She had to find the way to the ring.

“Excuse me. If you are looking for the hallway leading to the ring, I don’t mind showing you the way.”

Kimika quickly turned around to face the source of the soft voice speaking to her. A tall woman in a long black hooded cloak stood in the shadows behind her. Kimika didn’t answer right away for she wasn’t sure what the woman’s intentions were.

She tried to sense if the woman meant any harm to her. She couldn’t sense anything. She couldn’t sense if her intentions were good or bad so she decided to risk taking her help. She didn’t have time to waste.

“Thank you. I appreciate your help.” Kimika smiled softly.

The hooded woman bowed before heading down the dark corridor next to her. Kimika quickly followed behind her without any concerns about her Good Samaritan.

 

Both Makoto and Horuna were next to the ring when Koto, the announcer girl, began to introduce the exhibition match. They looked around, but there was no sign of Kimika.

“Alright! We have a real treat for you this morning, a special match that very few will have the privilege to see! We have a special exhibition match between the notorious rogue goddess Rika Makoto and the mysterious fighters of Team Kazeki!” The crowd roared in excitement at Koto’s announcement.

Horuna and Makoto looked around frantically since there still wasn’t any sign of Kimika.

“Dammit, Kimika! Where are you?!” Makoto snapped angrily under her breath when she realized that she wasn’t coming.

“I’m worried, Makoto. I don’t believe she would go back on her word and stand us up like this. Something might have happened to her.” Horuna answered softly when she noticed Makoto’s growing anger.

“Can both teams enter the ring?” The announcer girl, Koto, said when she noticed that it was finally time for the match. 

The girls had no choice, but enter the ring without Kimika. They jumped into the ring watching closely as their hooded opponents entered the ring. They couldn’t see the features of their opponents entered the ring. They couldn’t see the features of their opponents because of their long black cloaks. They still wouldn’t have an idea of who they were fighting until each match began.

“This exhibition match is supposed to be a three on three fight. Where is your third teammate, Makoto?” Koto asked when she noticed they only had two people on their team.

“We have no idea where she is. One of us will have to fight twice to make up for her absence. Will the committee accept those terms?” Makoto turned to the committee box where she knew the members were watching from.

“Well we will have to wait on a response from the committee. Will the tournament committee accept the goddess terms?” Koto looked up at the announcer board while they waited for the committee’s decision.

 

Kurama and Hiei watched on in confusion while they waited for the committee’s response.

“Didn’t you see your sister this morning? She did tell that she would be here after she was dressed. Do you think she went back to sleep and forgot about the match?” Hiei turned to Kurama with a questionable look.

He knew Kimika for years. He knew that she rarely went back on her word. But if that was the case, then Kimika might be in trouble. Something might’ve happened to her to prevent her from being there.

“No. Kimika was too determined and anxious to do that. Something must have happened to her while she was on her way here. That’s the only thing that makes sense. I knew that I should’ve walked with her to the arena.” Kurama tried to hide his worry while they watched on. They wanted to go search for her, but for some reason Kurama had a feeling that she would show up.

 

It didn’t take long before the committee made a decision. The crowd roared in excitement when the final decision was displayed on the screen.

“Okay! The committee has made a decision! And they have agreed to the goddess’ terms! Now, the exhibition match can finally begin!” Koto waved her arm in the air as she announced the decision of the committee. “Teams send in your first fighters!”

Without hesitation, one of the hooded fighters stepped forward. Makoto stepped forward while Horuna stepped out of the ring. The announcer sounded the beginning of the match. Shortly after the match was sounded to begin, the fighter removed their hood revealing their identity. Makoto stood paralyzed in shock and disbelief at the fighter’s true identity. It was Kimika.