Episode 16: The Wind’s Revelation

Yu Yu Hakusho S.C. : Dark Tournament Saga

            

 

 "I can't believe my eyes. It seems Ranya was defeated by Horuna. I would've never believed someone as sweet and innocent looking as Horuna could pulverize an opponent without leaving a trace of them left! It's positively brutal!" Koto gawked in shock at the space where Horuna's opponent once occupied. Then she turned her attention towards Horuna, beaming with adoration. "I don't know about the audience, but I've definitely become a major fan of Horuna after such an intense round. I wonder if the final round of the Exhibition Match will maintain my bloody expectations as the Rogue Goddess and the leader of Team Kazeki go head to head. We will find out in five minutes."

 

 

 

 

"While the next competitors enter the ring, we're taking a poll of the audience's favorite fighters of the Exhibition Match so far, at the ticket booth. Polls will remain open until twenty minutes before the start of the next match of the Dark Torunament, when Team Ichigaki and Urameshi face off. Results will be announced ten minutes before the next match begins."

 

The sound of audience members running from their seats to the ticket booths echoed through the stadium. Horuna paid no attention to the going ons of the stadium. Her mind was still preoccupied by her adversary's last moments.

 

Horuna was moments from learning the identity of the mastermind of the Exhibition Match, but then her opponent died from a mysterious attack that broke through her barrier with ease. The culprit behind Ranya's death was obvious; but Horuna still did not know how she killed Ranya. No novice demon or psychic could break through her barrier, so what exactly was she?

 

While Horuna crossed the ring to where her brother and friends were, she noticed something sparkling on the ground. She bent over and took a closer look. There on the floor before her was the ring Ranya used to trap her in that cognitive world. Horuna picked up the ring and examined it for a moment. The power emanating from the ring was stronger than any spell she felt before.

 

This power was far surpassed Ranya's ability and strength, which meant she wasn't the one who enchanted this ring. The only one who seemed strong enough to do so was her mysterious leader. Horuna's master's words replayed in her mind, as she examined the ring. The ring's origin could be the key they needed to uncover her identity but until then she had to warn Makoto.

 

 

 

 

Makoto waited for Horuna to exit before she prepared to step into the ring. Her mind raced with various thoughts in search of the origin of where in her past she recalled her opponent's voice. The leader of Team Kazeki only spoke a few times, but her voice resonated in Makoto's memory.

 

Makoto walked towards the ring as if in a trance, while she tried to remember. But no matter how hard she tried, her mind went blank. When she passed Horuna, she did not notice her until she felt something tug on her jacket. She turned around to find Horuna's small hand grasping onto her pocket. Her ruby eyes gazed into Makoto's eyes with caution and worry embedded in them.

 

"Makoto... proceed with caution with this opponent. She is stronger and more skilled than she appears. The spell that trapped me earlier was a high-level enchantment, one beyond the skill of any ordinary demon or psychic. I'm almost certain your opponent enchanted that ring and gave it to Ranya to use."

 

Makoto smiled gently at her friend and place her hand on her shoulder in an assuring manner. "Thanks for worrying about me. But I will be fine. I'm a goddess. There's no apparition or psychic alive that can harm me."

 

Horuna removed her hand and nodded in response. She watched quietly as her friend entered the ring, hiding the worry and fear growing in her heart. She knew there was some truth in Makoto's words; but she could not help but have doubt.

 

Something about Makoto's opponent concerned Horuna after she killed Ranya. It was her lack of power or at least the small traces of her spirit energy Horuna sensed. Somehow, the leader was suppressing her true power level from detection. That was an ability only those skilled in spirit manipulation and masking techniques could do. Apparitions, besides herself, were not known to use those techniques; so why was she?

 

 

 

 

"Come on, Makoto. I thought a goddess of your caliber would be much faster than this. Am I intimidating you already or are you just tired from your last match?" The leader of Team Kazeki sneered as she stood tall in the center of the ring.

 

Makoto glared at her opponent in irritation of her arrogance. She entered the ring and stood directly across from her hooded adversary, observing her closely. She never faced a demon with as much arrogance and confidence as this one showed. Did she believe she could win against Makoto, The Rogue Goddess?

 

"I can't tell if you are just arrogant, foolish or both. Do you, an apparition, really believe you have a chance of winning against me?"

 

Her opponent let out a loud laugh in response. "We shall see. Won't we?"

 

 

 

 

When Horuna returned to the side of the ring, Kimika and Hiei ran to her side. Kimika scooped her into a tight embrace, as she swung her around happily, while Hiei looked at her warmly from the sidelines. Horuna could tell by their expressions and those of the others that they were relieved that she made it back in one piece. She was both surprised and relieved to see her friend's reactions.

 

"Horuna! I'm glad you're all right!"

 

"Horuna, are you feeling okay? Do you want to rest?" Hiei asked, suppressing his urge to scoop his sister in his arms in relief that she was safe and seemingly unharmed.

 

She curled her lips in gratitude and embraced her friend back. She looked over to her brother from over Kimika's arm and responded.

 

"I'm fine. I don't need to rest. I want to be here to cheer on Makoto. She'll need our support now more than ever."

 

Kimika released Horuna and looked into her eyes. "You know something about Makoto's opponent, don't you?"

 

Horuna moved away from Kimika when she realized Kimika was sensing her emotions. She moved to the other side of her brother and turned towards the ring.

 

"No. I don't. I wish I did."

 

Kimika observed Horuna's actions carefully curiosity growing inside her of the emotions she felt from Horuna. It was for a moment when she embraced her friend; but there was a part of her that was withholding some information about someone in the ring. Out of the three beings there, only one made sense of why she would be concerned about them now, Makoto's opponent.

 

It was clear. Horuna was not ready to reveal what she learned. But she hoped for Makoto's sake that Horuna would reveal what she knew to put an end to this foreboding nightmare.

 

 

 

 

As everyone's attention was trained on the ring, Horuna ducked behind her brother, pulled out the ring she found on the ground, and looked it over more thoroughly than before. There was nothing physically unusual about the outside of the ring. It was a simple pewter band. There was nothing on it, no gems or ridges. It was just a band of pewter.

 

She held the ring up in the air and examined the inside of the band. It was there where she found something of interest. There etched into the inside of the band were strange symbols. Horuna could not understand the language in which they were written, but she could tell it was some sort of encantation.

 

"I wouldn't think small trinkets like that would intrigue you more than your friend's fate. What's that you have?" The masked fighter inquired, observing Horuna as she examined a small metal object.

 

Horuna extended the ring into his line of sight, before explaining.

 

"I found this ring on the floor after the match was called. I believe it was the vessel of a powerful spell that trapped me in that dark world. There are strange symbols carved around the inside of the band. I can't understand them, which is very unusual, since I can understand many different demonic languages and all human ones."

 

"Let me see." Horuna handed the ring to the masked fighter, so he could take a closer look at it. When he had it in his possession, he examined the inside of the band and the inscriptions she mentioned. His eyes widened after he closely examined the symbols.

 

"You're right, Horuna. These symbols are not human. They are special symbols used by powerful races of apparitions, like fallen angels and devils. They are also commonly used by some high-level psychics, mystical creatures and creatures of the divine. It's impossible for a low-level demon like Ranya to enchant this ring with that kind of spell." The masked fighter explained turning his attention towards Makoto's opponent. Shock and wonder raced inside him as he observed the hooded woman.

 

"I am certain she did not. I believe her master was the one who enchanted it," Horuna answered, following his gaze and watching the leader of Team Kazeki carefully.

 

"If she is one of those creatures, then she'll be more trouble for Makoto than we initially thought."

 

 

 

 

When it looked like most of the audience returned to their seats, Koto forced a smile and raised her microphone to her lips to announce the start of the final round.

 

"Since both competitors are in the ring, it's time to start the final round of the Exhibition Match. The two leaders of the teams will now go head to head. Who will come out the victor? Will the Rogue Goddess come out on top? Or will the mysterious leader of Team Kazeki do the impossible? Let's find out!"

 

Koto lowered her arm signaling the start of the match; then she jumped to the side of the ring. After the last two rounds, Koto realized that it would be too dangerous to stay in the ring during this match. She already witnessed Makoto's power; but she was wary about the power of the leader of Team Kazeki.

 

Ever since she shielded Koto from Ranya's attack, Koto was worried about the true strength of Makoto's opponent. She sensed it when she clashed with the Rogue Goddess. She had the power to create more damage than the previous rounds, and Koto refused to become a casualty.

 

 

 

 

Makoto did not brush away Horuna's warnings of her opponent. She had her own concerns about her mysterious adversary, but she couldn't bring herself to tell her friend that. She knew how much the others worried in her fight against Kimika. She couldn't give them anything else to worry about, especially, when she was not sure if she had a reason to be concerned about.

 

From what Makoto could tell, her opponent seemed over confident and arrogant. She also acted as if she had some sort of problem with Makoto, stemming from a past encounter. However, Makoto did not remember pissing off any high-level demons. Most of the demons she tormented were low-level scum. So, who was this woman?

 

Makoto remained on her guard when the start of the match was called. She refused to act reckless without knowing who and what her opponent was. She could tell by where she stood that her opponent was masking her true power level. This worried Makoto, because there was no reason for someone to mask their energy unless they were stronger than they let on. Was it possible that her adversary actually had a possibility of winning?

 

Makoto's opponent noticed her hesitation to strike first and smirked in response. "My... My... My... has the legendary Rouge Goddess grown soft after befriending your apparition pets? Normally, you wouldn't hesitate like this."

 

Makoto's annoyance grew at her opponent's slights, but she maintained her demeanor, so she refused to give her opponent the pleasure of witnessing her true feelings and realizing that her cocky taunts were actually affecting her.

 

"Why do you have it out for me? What's your purpose?" Makoto demanded.

 

The leader of Team Kazeki's smirk widened as she responded. "I only want one thing... to make you feel true pain and despair."

 

 

 

 

Anger and hatred boiled rapidly inside Makoto in reaction to the leader's words. Who the hell was this ? And why did she have it out for Makoto and her friends?

 

Makoto wanted to barbeque this and end the round early; but there was something about her opponent that prevented her from doing so. It was her adversary's voice. Even though it was menacing, Makoto could not help but recognize it. Somewhere in the recess of her memories, the voice of her opponent sounded familiar.

 

Makoto could not remember exactly where in her memory she remembered this voice. But the sound of her voice prevented her from striking her first. She just wished she could recall from where she heard her opponent's voice.

 

"Your hesitation along with your reckless manner and the company you keep are a few reasons why you will always be weak." The leader of Team Kazeki glanced at Kimika and Horuna before returning her attention to her opponent.

 

Her dark amusement grew when she noticed her taunts were taking affect. Makoto lost her strength to restrain her true feelings and her rage burned through for everyone to see. With a booming roar of anger, Makoto attacked her opponent with a barrage of fire balls; but her adversary dodged each attack with ease.

 

Before Makoto could react, her opponent countered with a slash of a long thin sword, forcing Makoto to parry with an ice sword. Makoto and her opponent clashed many times and each time Makoto was surprised by her adversary's strength. She was stronger than she seemed. Her strength almost seemed to match her own.

 

 

 

 

Watching the mysterious leader of the opposing team clashing with Makoto without struggle, concerned Koenma. Who was the being underneath those dark robes? Koenma watched many times as Rika Makoto pulverized strong apparitions just to get his attention without trouble. However, now, she seemed to have some difficulty reversing the leader's attacks. He needed to know the identity of her opponent, because they could become a problem for him, if by some luck of fate, they defeat the Rogue Goddess.

 

"I can't believe the team leader of the opposite team is actually as strong as a goddess. I didn't think normal apparitions were strong enough to do that."

 

"That's the thing... normal apparitions can't." Koenma answered emotionlessly, observing the battle between the two fighters. A strong force emanated from their weapons each time they clashed. Power like that was truly troublesome. He wondered if they were safe at this distance once the battle escaladed.

 

"Um... I'm sorry to intrude, but I couldn't help overhearing your conversation. I might be able to shed some light on the identity of the leader of Team Kazeki." Koto interrupted, nervously approaching Koenma and the others.

 

They all turned their attention towards the announcer girl.

 

"Well, speak." Koenma demanded.

 

"Yes... Well, I'm not sure if the Rogue Goddess's opponent is even a demon." Koto spoke in a hushed whisper as she responded. She bent over close to Koenma and the others, limiting the chance that anyone else would hear her words.

 

"Why do you believe that?" Kurama questioned, glaring at the announcer girl with slight intrigue.

 

"Do you remember what happened at the start of the match when the committee overruled Makoto. Well, the members of the committee might be crooked, but they aren't stupid. They would never risk their lives to overrule a goddess, just to appease the bloodlust of an apparition. There are only a few beings they would do that for."

 

Koto did not wait for a response. She glanced back towards the ring and the box where the committee normally watched from. Worry and paranoia rushed through her veins. What she was doing was entirely illegal, but she had a bad feeling about Makoto's opponent. And even though she loved a blood match like any other demon, she didn't like the way this match was set up. Maybe the real reason was that the two demon girls and the goddess had grown on her. So, she didn't want them to suffer more than they needed to. 

 

"That's all I have to say. If I stay around here for too long, then they'll get suspicious." Koto force a smile, glanced briefly at the committee viewing area, then pranced off to the opposite side of the arena.

 

Koto's response caused the worry inside Kurama to grow. He knew all about Makoto's strength and power, but still there was something worrying him. The fact that they knew so little about her opponent did not help his fears and concerns. Also, Koto's insertions were just enticing these deepening feelings.

 

He trained his eyes on Makoto. Her attacks were strong and fast, but still there was something different from the Makoto he saw yesterday and even the one from earlier in the match. No matter how strong she struck her opponent's sword, her adversary did not budge. It was almost as if she was immune to the shock. If Makoto could not find out who and what her opponent was, then she would never have the upper hand in this match.

 

The masked fighter did not seem shocked by Koto's words. He seemed satisfied with her input. It created some clarity to many of the questions plaguing his mind since the start of the Exhibition Match.

 

"Now, it makes sense about the spell on this ring, but that does not narrow the types of creatures by much. Most likely the creatures of the divine are the only ones the committee would obey over Makoto; but that category is still very broad. Dragons, angels, gods, heavenly beasts, fallen angels, some very powerful sprites and demons and so many other races are in that category. There's no telling from which she comes from."

 

 

 

 

The strength behind Makoto's opponent's attacks increased as they clashed, chipping away the ice of Makoto's word. Makoto's frustration peaked by each jeer her opponent uttered. She couldn't believe any apparition could match her in any of her forms. Her human form might not be as strong as her other two forms, but it was much stronger than majority of apparitions. She needed to know the truth about her adversary. She was determined to get the answers she needed, even if she had to beat it out of her opponent.

 

Makoto needed to turn the tables and fast; but no matter how fast she moved, her opponent matched her speed. As their blades clashed, Makoto struggled to match her opponent's strikes. Ice chips flew in the air, creating a soft flurry. Makoto's human body ached as the force of their clashes increased. If she didn't do something, then her human form could take major damage.

 

Makoto waited for an opening and right when her opponent was going to strike, Makoto coupled her counterstrike with a large lightning blast that sent her opponent reeling across the ring, sending her crashing hard into the concrete. Makoto flew after her adversary and pinned her down the moment her body hit the pavement. Makoto pressed her new sharpened ice blade against her opponent's neck, causing her enemy to squirm vigorously underneath her.

 

Makoto pressed her body heavily against her opponent, sealing her movement with her weight and and the strength of her legs. She pressed up close to her enemy, trying to peek underneath the leader's thick heavy hood. But how her hood was made, it shielded almost every part of her face, except for her porcelain white chin and small, heart-shaped lips.

 

Makoto scoffed in frustration towards her opponents's defiance. "Who the hell are you! What's your problem with me! What the did I do to you! Answer me!"

 

Makoto tightly gripped her opponent's cloak and pressed her closer to the blade. However, instead of quaking in fear and buckling to Makoto's threatening behavior, the leader of Team Kazeki broke out into a loud booming laugh. Her voice was soft, but the sound of her laughter echoed through arena like thunder. Without moving, a strange force sent Makoto hurling through the air. Before she collided into the audience, Makoto stopped herself and looked at her opponent in surprise.

 

The leader of the opposing team rose to her feet and began levitating above the ring. She floated high above the ring and glued her attention on Makoto. When she was high enough, she pulled out her long sword and slashed it in the air transforming it into a large silver fan. Her laugh continued to echo as she swept the fan in the air, creating a large cyclone surrounding her.

 

The cyclone grew in intensity, causing the debris from the arena to swirl around it and fly in different directions of the stadium. The cries of unlucky apparitions, who were hit by the debris, echoed through the arena. The massive cyclone swirled for a few moments before it dispersed and revealed the true form of Makoto's adversary.

 

Makoto looked at the leader frozen in shock and terror. The memories of where she remembered her flooded her mind all at once.

 

There floating above the ring was a breathtakingly gorgeous woman with long golden blonde hair flowing around her. Her skin was porcelain with a slightly bronze touch to the eye of the spectators. Her body was long and slender, evenly curved, and delicately draped in a long thin dress. Her sparkling sapphire eyes trained on Makoto with a hint of intensity mixed with enchantment. Her small full lips curled in dark amusement of Makoto's reaction.

 

"It's been a long time. Hasn't it, little sister?"

 

 

 

 

Everyone in the stadium was frozen in shock and amazement at the beautiful vision floating above the arena. The robed opponent of the Rogue Goddess transformed from a mysteriously eery figure into an ethereal form. Many demons stared at the entrancing figure with lustful eyes, but they refrained from uttering a word, so not to incur her wrath.

 

Makoto's friends were among those stunned by this sudden revelation.

 

"Makoto has a sister! Since when!" Kimika gasped, gawking at the goddess floating above them.

 

"Yes. She does." Koenma stared at Makoto's sister wide-eyed in shock. "I completely forgot about her; because, unlike her younger sister, she prefers to stay off the supernatural radar. I'm shocked she even came here. It's not like her."

 

"Now, everything makes sense. The enchanted ring Horuna found and what the announcer girl pointed out." The masked fighter examined the goddess above him frozen in amazement and fear.

 

Even though she was older than Makoto, Minako looked somewhat younger than her sibling. Her beauty rivaled that of her sister's. She had a look of a girl barely out of her teens. She looked meek and fragile, but the masked fighter knew better than that. She was much stronger than her outer shell. Just like her minion, Ranya, she was far more skilled than her appearance led others to believe.

 

"She looks like a mere child. She can't be that strong." Hiei hissed, annoyed at the fascination everyone had over Makoto's opponent. "We've seen how strong Makoto is. She can beat her with ease once she stops toying with her."

 

"You shouldn't judge a book by its cover." Koenma glanced at Hiei in surprise and disbelief of his comments.

 

"I know you want to support your friend, but you shouldn't say foolish things. Makoto is not fighting a mere demon or even a race of any other. She is fighting another god, an equal." The masked fighter reproached glancing at Hiei in disappointment. "Her opponent's name is Minako, the goddess of air. She is revered as the patron goddess of enchantments. It's even rumored that she studied the magical arts of the ancient ones, the gods who built the universe and time itself."

 

He understood Hiei's intent but providing false hope would not help Makoto or the other two either. He glanced at Kimika and Horuna, who looked from Makoto and her opponent, with expressions filled with concern for their friend. They were right to fear this new turn of events. If the masked fighter was right about what he knew, then Minako was the most dangerous opponent Makoto could face.

 

 

 

 

"Minako, why?" Makoto questioned frozen in terror and confusion of her sister's sudden appearance. "You never come to these things or even participate in these types of spectacles. So, why are you here doing all of this?"

 

"Dear sister, don't you know?" Minako tilted her head and an intimidating smirk crossed her lips. "I want you to pay for the shame you brought on our family and kind by your selfish amorous relations with that demon. You caused a mockery of all gods when you went on that foolish vengeful tirade after his death. You abandoned your duties. And for that, I can never forgive you."

 

Makoto's eyes widened, and her body drained of color as her rage forged on inside her. "I see you are as deluded and bat crazy as ever, sister. It's sad that you put on that mask like you are still some youthful girl. It doesn't work the moment you open your mouth. Because when you speak, you sound like an old hag." Makoto shot her gaze towards her sister. They glistened with fire and anger. As soon as she saw the arrogant smirk fall from Minako's face, she knew her words were hitting their mark. "You say I'm the selfish one, but you are wrong. The ones who are really selfish are the ones who forced me to sacrifice my own happiness for their own profit."

 

"You, little brat..." Minako snapped under her breath before composing herself. "You really don't understand the trouble you've caused."

 

Makoto's rage continued to pulsate through her body in response to her sister's words and manner. She flew towards her sister. Her aura rapidly fluxating as she drew near. Then without a second of hesitation, she attacked her sister with a barrage of ice, fire and lightning attacks. Minako repelled Makoto's attacks with a slash of her fan. Makoto dodged them and continued her pursuit of her sister.

 

"I have nothing to understand! You can shove that righteous act up your !" Makoto roared, hurling more blasts at her opponent.

 

Minako easily flew around Makoto's attacks, then she closed her fan, transforming it back into her sword. She cut the air with her sword, and a strong gale formed, sweeping the arena and colliding with Makoto. Makoto was hurled across the stadium and out of the ring by the force of the wind.

 

"Your pride is why you will never be strong! Until you sever your ties with these lowly apparitions and abide by your duty as a god, then you will never reach your full potential and always be weak!"

 

Minako's movements through the air were so rapid that the audience could barely keep up. She maneuvered through the attacks with such agility and grace that it seemed like her opponent's attacks were not even phasing her.

 

"You will never defeat me in the current state you're in."

 

Minako's voice echoed through Makoto's mind, permeating in the depths of her subconscious. For a moment, everything disappeared, and the entire world turned dark. She was immobilized by a strange force and only her lips were free to move.

 

"Was Minako right? Am I really getting weaker because of my relationship with demons?"

 

She felt herself drifting in a heavy sea of her doubt. Her mind was shifting back and forth like the waves on the ocean in the middle of a storm. While she was incapacitated, her opponent took this opportunity to pin her against the ground. Makoto felt her adversary's blade pressed against her neck. The blade was cold and heavy. A trickle of blood flowed down her chest as the blade pierced her skin. She was helpless. She couldn't do anything to win.

 

As the blood traced the crevice of her , the temperature of her body rose, and a strange voice resonated inside her mind, coming from the depths of her subconscious.

 

"So, are you just going to give up? Is that all the Rogue Goddess has to offer?"

 

Makoto didn't have the strength to respond. She felt herself drift farther and farther from her body.

 

"She's wrong about you. You are much stronger than you realize. That's the true reason she's here. She wants to stop you from reaching your true potential."

 

Makoto recognized this voice. It was one she knew too well. "Rika?"

 

Makoto's faint call echoed through the darkness and traveled to the origin of the voice.

 

"Yes, goddess. Let me help you realize your true power. Don't try to fight me anymore. You know I'm the only way for you to defeat your sister and protect your friends."

 

Makoto was too far gone to protest. She was paralyzed by her rage and hatred toward her sister. They infected every inch of her and consumed what little bit of control she had left. Her body was engulfed by an uncontrollable force. She was no longer in command of her body or what happened. She was a vessel and spectator of what the new pilot did. She was now a force greater than any other, one of destruction and power. She was the embodiment of vengeance and despair, the Rogue Goddess, Rika Makoto.

 

 

 

 

A few moments after Makoto was pinned by Minako, a bright flash engulfed the fighters. Minako flew back away from her prey until she could regain her senses. The light temporarily blinded everyone in the stadium. And when their vision was finally restored, a hushed murmur of excitement echoed through the arena. There hovering at the side of the ring was Rika, the demon form of Makoto.

 

Makoto's friends were the only ones not amused to see the appearance of Rika, because they remembered too well the havoc she wreaked last time.

 

"This is worse than I thought. She lost complete control and allowed Rika to emerge. If she decides to go all out against her sister, then we might all die at her hand."

 

The pigment of Koenma's face had completely drained. His body was pulsating with fear and dread of the near future. He had seen too often the devastation Rika caused, not only here, but in the demonic and spirit worlds as well. There was no telling what or how Rika would act in a grudge match against her sister.

 

"I don't think that's true. I believe Makoto is strong enough to control Rika and defeat her sister without bringing us harm. We have to trust her." Kimika refuted.

 

Everyone remained silent and did not respond to Kimika. They had good reason to be worried. They remembered too well what almost happened to Kioni. Even Horuna, who wanted to agree with her friend, was hesitant to speak. But her reasons were different from everyone else's. There was something she knew that Kimika didn't.

 

Kimika could sense the emotions within the heart; but Horuna could sense the going-ons of the mind. And there was a lot happening within Makoto's subconscious. Rika seemed stable and calm, but her mind was a psychic minefield. Horuna sensed a great imbalance within her mind, leading to the very core of her being. Rika was not only fighting a war on the outside, but one on the inside too.