Episode 1: Kimika's Deepest Desire

Yu Yu Hakusho S.C. : Dark Tournament Saga

       

The morning sun’s warm embrace fell upon Sakura Temple. Its golden brilliance decorated the colorful leaves of the tall trees surrounding the main quarters in the heart of the temple grounds. Birds’ sweet serenade filled the tranquil air. Its peaceful atmosphere lured its inhabitants away from the land of dreams and back into reality.

As the sun slowly traversed across the sky, a high-pitched buzzer broke the silence. The blaring noise pierced one of the inhabitants’ ears propelling her to her feet, so she could stop its internal cry. A woman, in long flowing robes, dashed down the wooden floors of the back porch searching for something. Thick, jade curls escaped her hairnet as she quickened her pace while retaining her grace. She busted into the kitchen, searched the room then left. No one was there which confirmed her worries.

‘Oh my. It’s seven-thirty, and she still hasn’t woken up.’ The woman raced into the halls and down its winding paths until she reached an adjacent corridor.

The woman ran down the long hall passing several ornate bronze doors before stopping in front of a small gold paper door at its end. She slid open the door and entered the room composing herself. She followed the loud ringing until she found a small, heart-shaped alarm clock resting on a pink nightstand.

The woman pressed a button on its side to turn it off then turned her attention to the bed next to it. Her expression softened when her eyes fell upon the bundle of covers crumbled on the bed.

‘I can’t believe, after such a racket, she didn’t even budge an inch. Her tolerance of such things marvels me.’ A smirk crossed her lips.

The woman walked over to the curtains and drew them back, letting the golden rays of light stream inside and cast away the shadows. The sun’s warmth stirred the sleeping girl wrapped in the covers.

“Kimika, darling, wake up. It’s morning. You don’t want to be late for school, do you?” The woman called out softly. She crossed the short distance and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Uhh… Really, mom? I’m too tired.” Kimika grumbled, pulling her covers over her head to shield herself from the blinding light.

“You stayed up late again, didn’t you?” Kitinia, Kimika’s mother, smiled warmly. She placed the delicate hand on Kimika’s head and rubbed it when her daughter responded with a small nod, confirming her suspicions.

Kimika sunk deeper into her sheets. Her fatigue was not the product of a late-night study session, but another fruitless attempt in her search for her brother. An old mystic’s prophecy of an elevation of power in the area this past year piqued her curiosity. Kimika was not sure if it was connected to her brother, but her heart was determined to believe it was. An undeniable hope coursed through her now, creating a certainty like no other. Her brother had to be a part of it. There was no doubt in her heart, and she refused to deny it.

Kimika could not tell her mother about her suspicions, though, because she did not know how she would react. Her mother always avoided any mention of her brother. She did not know the reason behind her actions; but after many failed attempts, she decided avoiding the subject altogether was best to prevent any disagreements with her mother.

“What’s the point of studying if you don’t go to school?” Kitinia pulled the covers off her daughter’s head. She smiled when her eye’s met Kimika’s large, emerald ones. “Can you please go?”

“Fine, mom. I will.” Kimika answered, sitting upright.

“Good. I’ll fix you something to eat while you get ready.” Kitinia replied. She kissed her daughter’s cheek, stood up, and left.

Kimika watched her mother leave and slide the door shut behind her. Once she was gone, Kimika rose from her bed, walked over to her desk, and opened its top drawer. Hidden in its deep recesses was a small blue and green silk pouch. She pulled it open and emptied its contents into her palm.

A small brown seed fell into her palm. She looked at it, smiling lovingly while clenching onto it and pressing it close to her heart.

“The seed of the North Star plant… one of my brother’s favorites.” Kimika closed her eyes as her smile grew while reminiscing about when she first received this seed. Her brother gave her a bunch of these seeds a year ago on her twelfth birthday. She remembered every word spoken as if it had happened yesterday.

 

A year ago

 

“Kimi, I’m going away for a while, but I will come back.” Her brother said softly, holding her close.

“But how long will you be gone? We haven’t seen each other in a long time and have finally reunited. Now, you’re leaving again.”

Tears flowed down her cheeks. News of his departure clearly hurt her. He held her tighter, attempting to soothe her aching heart. Her brother hated leaving her again after all the time he spent searching for her. However, now, after reuniting with her, he had no choice but to part from her, even though he did not want to. His life was too dangerous, and she would be safer without him. This was the only way he could protect her.

“I’m sorry. I have something I must do, but don’t worry because I’ll return by your next birthday.” Her brother reached into his pocket, took out a pouch, and placed it in her hand. “Here. If I don’t return in time, use these seeds. Normally, they’re used to guide someone home, but I modified them. Now, the user can use them to find whoever or whatever they desire. Use them to find me if I miss our appointment.”

Seeing the pain that he put her through, it took all his strength to conceal his sorrow. His tone lowered and became emotionless as he spoke.

“Kimi, I love you.”

“I… I love you too, big brother. Please, don’t leave!” Kimika stammered, crying uncontrollably while falling to her knees. She clung to his legs, refusing to let go. He lifted her off the floor and held her in his arms.

Kimika only remembered growing weary from her grief and passing out. And when she woke, she was in her bedroom. For months, she believed it was just a dream. It was only until she found the North Star seeds and a note from her brother on her desk that she realized it was not a figment of her imagination.

 

Present Day

 

Since her thirteenth birthday, Kimika used the seeds in her search many times, but they led her nowhere. Now, there was only one seed left, and she refused to use it. She wanted to save it for the right time.

Kimika placed the seed back in the pouch and tucked it into one of the pockets of her school bag. Kimika glanced at the clock. She would be late if she did not leave soon.

Kimika wasn’t a part of any clubs or boards at her school, but she was one of her school’s brightest students. Her quiet nature made it difficult for her to take charge or get close to others. However, that did not stop her from being one of the most desired girls at her school. Most boys liked her, and most girls wanted to be her friend. Even though her popularity flattered her, she turned down every social invitation.

Being a fox demon’s and earth/water sprite’s daughter had its disadvantages when befriending humans. Kimika understood their differences and was aware if the laws regarding magical creatures living in the human world. She suppressed her powers substantially just to adhere to the regulations while interacting with humans at school. Since the use of magical abilities was heavily restricted, Kimika limited her interaction with humans altogether.

However, Kimika had another reason she avoided making human friends. As a condition to live in the human world, her family agreed to protect Sakura Temple and its grounds. Kimika did not know the details of their contract; but according to her mother, Sakura Temple was built on divine lands. Supposedly, the land was a hotbed for spawning natural portals. These portals transported the user anywhere on the planet or across worlds. This was another reason Kimika remained distant. It was too risky. Humans were curious creatures by nature. And if one stumbled on this temple’s secrets, it could bring about devastating consequences.

 

“Koenma, sir. All over the Spirit and Human worlds, demons are dying.”

An ogre exclaimed, running into Koenma’s office. When he turned to see the image of the culprit on the mystical screen, Koenma froze in terror. He was in disbelief. It was her. The menacing terror of the worlds, the Rogue Goddess, Rika.

He watched the fearsome goddess rampage as she annihilated groups of demons with just the wave of her hand. She used her various powers to burn, freeze, electrocute, drown, or crush slews of unexpecting demons. Her bare hands brutally pulverized some of her victims. The gruesome massacre haunted the onlookers. Agonizing screams of fear and despair filled Koenma’s office.

“The Rogue Goddess, Rika. I’ve heard about her. This is not good, because we have no way to stop her.” Koenma grimaced in disgust. He knew very well the source of her rage and what she searched for. She wanted the person who killed her beloved Suzaku, Yusuke Urameshi.

“Why is she targeting demons, my lord?”

“She’s trying to get my attention. She knows if she creates enough havoc, then I will try to stop her and give her what she wants.” Koenma answered partially to himself.

Koenma knew sending Yusuke to stop her would be suicidal. Even with Kurama, Hiei, and Kuwabara combined, he still could not subdue her. She was a goddess. Even his own father would struggle against her. What was he going to do? He had to put an end to her rampage.

 

When Kimika was a block away from her school, a group of guys blocked her path. She did not know them but recognized their uniforms. They were students from a nearby school and well-known delinquents known as the Kino gang. They had a reputation for causing trouble, but they rarely came over here, because they feared her school’s own resident delinquents. She wondered why they lurked so close to her school, but she ignored her concerns and walked around them.

Their eyes followed her while she passed by, like a pack of wild beasts watching their prey. She grew uncomfortable as she fought past them, keeping her eyes cast on the ground in front of her. She thought she was home free until the burliest in the group stepped in her way and stopped her progression.

“Please excuse me. I must get to school,” Kimika said softly, trying to pass him again, but he thwarted her once more with his towering frame. He pushed her into the center of his encroaching lackeys.

“Kimika Rotaru, why are you in such a rush? School’s not going anywhere.” The leader said. His shifty, slanted eyes scanned her body while he his lips in desire. “Why don’t you hangout for a bit?”

“I’d love to, but my time is better spent at school.” Kimika snapped, annoyed while staring down his dark eyes.

“Feisty, aren’t you? I like that. Come here, girl. I said you ain’t going anywhere.” When she tried to force through, the leader grabbed her arm and yanked her towards him.

Kimika glared at her attacker while she struggled to break free. She could not believe she was caught in this predicament, completely helpless. The law was simple about using powers in the incident would count as an exception. There was no one else around except her and her assailants. If there was an ideal moment to use her powers in self-defense, now was the time.

“Let me go!” Kimika yelled, pulling her arm free.

She broke free, but he just ended up grabbing her again and even harder. Kimika refused to let him take advantage of her. She had to fight back, regardless of the rules.

As she prepared to use her powers, something fell from a tree overheard and hit him in the face, causing him to let her go. Kimika stumbled back from the impact and searched for the miracle that saved her. A small, red fox stood in front of her. Its little fluffy body arched in a protective stance as it growled aggressively at her attacker, bearing its sharp teeth.

‘Go now!’ Kimika looked shocked at the fox when he commanded her telepathically.

“You’re a telepath. Who are you?” Kimika thought back, frozen in surprise.

‘I’m Ronami. I’ll tell you more later. Run along or you’ll be late for school.’ Kimika nodded and followed the fox’s instructions.

Kimika ran past the thugs as they helped their unconscious boss regain his senses. She ran down the street and into the main hall of the school. She went over to her locker, switched her shoes then stopped for a moment to gather her thoughts before collapsing to her knees. Tears ran down her face as she hugged her bag. She closed her eyes and buried her face in her bag.

“It’s not fair. I can’t defend myself because of the Spirit World’s stupid rules. Instead, I must remain absolutely helpless while scum like them harass me. Times like these… I wish he was here.” Kimika lifted her head up and looked at the ceiling. “Please bring my brother back to me. I need him now more than ever.”

Kimika dropped her bag into her lap while she covered her face with her hands, letting her pain pour out with her tears. In an adjacent row of lockers, a girl listened to the soft sobs and searched for their source. When she found Kimika, she ran to her side and looked her over.

“Kimika, what’s wrong?” The girl asked, searching for any injury on Kimika’s body. “Are you hurt?”

When Kimika looked up, she saw Mishi Kimamori squatting beside her. Even though Kimika did not know Mishi well, she was the only girl she was friendly with at school. Mishi was different, like her. Her short, blue hair and blue eyes made her stand out from the rest of the students. And her outgoing, caring nature made her more pleasant company than most human girls. She was a few months other than Kimika, but her motherly nature made her seem much older.

Mishi noticed the concern in her friend’s eyes while trying to soothe her by scooping her into a warm embrace and her head. She held her close until she calmed down.

“Those Kino jerks harassed me outside of school. No one was there to help me. They could have me, or worse.”

“Kimika, I’m sorry that happened. I should have walked with you this morning. I’m sorry. Did they hurt you?” Mishi said, pushing her away momentarily to look her over then taking her in her arms again. “Let’s report them to the principal.”

“No. I’m fine. Besides, I don’t want to report them. Telling him would make the matter worse.” Kimika replied, nestling in the security of Mishi’s embrace. “No one can help me or make it better.”

Mishi sensed the fear lurking inside Kimika, but she knew something needed to be done about their horrendous behavior. Kimika did not trust anyone, but there must be something she could do to help.

“Kimika… Come with me.” Mishi said, helping Kimika stand. She grabbed her bag with one hand and Kimika’s hand with the other while guiding her into the hallway.

“Mishi, where are you taking me?” Kimika asked, following her down the narrow halls.

“I’m taking you to the principal. Whether or not you believe so, he can do something about them. Just trust me. You just can’t sit there and do nothing about this.”

“But…” Kimika protested, but stopped when she realized it was useless. When Mishi did something, she rarely backed down or changed her mind. Now, she would not back down until they solved this matter.

 

Kitinia walked into the Room of Shadows, dressed in blue and green silk ceremonial robes. Their flowing skirts gracefully embraced her body while trailing behind her while she traversed the shadows. Her long light-green hair framed her shoulders in soft, loose curls as she stopped by the altar and kneeled.

Kitinia lit the candles and waved her hands over the crystals a few times before folding them and bowing her head. She chanted softly until the crystal began shining.

“Oracle of the shadows, I summon you. Answer my call and come forth.”

The crystals flickered a few times before going out with the candles drenching the room in darkness. A breeze raced through the room, dropping the temperature to near freezing. Kitinia used her powers to combat the cold while she waited for the new energy to settle.

“It is you, Kitinia. Why did you summon me?” A voice echoed from a dark purple mist above the altar.

“Mighty Oracle, I want to know if the time has finally come.” Kitinia answered, dropping her hands at her side and focusing on the mist before her. “Can my son, Kurama, return to me?”

“It’s not yet time. Your son has a duty to fulfill.”

“A duty? What duty?” Kitinia asked, confused.

“He is aiding the spirit detective in the dark tournament.”

“The Dark Tournament! That’s a tournament of death! Is there any way I can help him?”

“You cannot do much. He must take part in this tournament. Although he could use the power of the Gemini to strengthen him.”

“I can’t do that! I already lost my son. I won’t risk losing my daughter as well.” Kitinia protested, slamming her hands on the floor.

“Well, if you don’t, he will die. You underestimate your children’s power. They are Gemini twins, powerful magical twins, whose strength can rival even those of the divine when they are together. They are unbeatable. You must send your daughter to him.”

“But how can I do that? She doesn’t even know I’ve been monitoring her brother.”

“That, dear Kitinia, is your problem. I trust you’ll figure it out by tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Yes. Tomorrow is when he will arrive at the tournament grounds. That will be your only window to send her.” When the oracle finished, a strong wind rushed into the room and whisked the mist away, leaving the room in darkness once more.

Kitinia placed her hands in her lap while gazing into the nothingness surrounding her. Once again, her son, Kurama, placed his sister right smack in the middle of danger; except this time Kitinia could do nothing to protect her children. She wondered how many times she’d have to bail him out of these life-and-death situations. Kitinia could not bear witnessing her son in another near-death predicament.

Kitinia loved him with all her heart, but his reckless decisions worried her. She hoped sending him to the human world would deter his old life. But all that complicated and exhausting magic seemed for naught. He crept back into his old ways and now was heading to one of the most dangerous tournaments ever.

Kitinia risked her own life to perform the rebirthing ritual and impregnate the human woman he now called mother. She watched from afar as she raised him and cared for him as her own. Each time, her heart broke as the distance between them grew and the memory of his old life faded.

Even through her despair, Kitinia never stopped watching over her son. She refused to lose him again. She would do whatever she could to protect her children. If she had to send her daughter, then she would do so. Hopefully, the gods would help them on their journey. From now-on, they had to protest one another.

 

Kimika’s day slowly passed while Kimika spent most of her day held up by the principal until he found a resolution for her problem with the Kino thugs. When the last bell rang, she was glad to leave the embarrassment and confusion of her day behind her. Kimika just wanted to return to her room and hideaway from the world.

 

Kimika took the most vacant paths on her way home to avoid running into her schoolmates. She followed the narrow alleys until she came to a small park near to the street leading to her temple. As she passed by the lush trees, a chill rushed through her body. She sensed someone’s presence nearby, following her in the shadow. However, when she scanned the area, there was no one there.

Kimika continued for a few minutes, hoping the sensation subsided. But the deeper she went, the feeling intensified. The wind whipped through the trees, rustling their leaves violently. Kimika paused and called out to the unknown, desperately concealing her fear.

“Who’s there?” Kimika demanded.

‘Do not worry. It’s only me.’ Ronami jumped down from a tree and landed in front of Kimika. Relieved, Kimika smiled, bent over, and rubbed his fluffy head.

“Aren’t you adorable? You’re the fox from earlier, right?”

‘Yes. I am.’

“You’re a fox apparition, aren’t you? I owe you my thanks for your help earlier. I’m in your debt. What are you doing here? Did you get lost?”

‘You’re right. I am a fox apparition like you and your brother. And there is no need to thank me. It’s my job as your guardian to protect you.

“How do you know about us?” Kimika questioned, confused. She wondered about Ronami’s true identity and whether he was a friend or foe. “Who sent you?”

‘I know about you and your brother from your past life in the demon world. Regarding to the identity of my master, I cannot tell you that.’

“Then, tell me. Why did they send you?”

‘To keep an eye on you.’

“If that’s so, why did you save me? That seems like it’s outside your job description.”

‘I’m your guardian. Protecting and watching over you are jobs.’

Kimika shrugged her shoulders and turned around to continue on her way home. She turned back around for a moment and smiled.

“If someone sent you to be my guardian, then I can’t turn down their generous offer. Come along, Ronami.” She continued down the path happily shipping along with Ronami following close behind.

 

Halfway through the park, Ronami jumped in front of Kimika, stopping her from moving forward. Kimika paused and asked Ronami what was wrong. He didn’t answer, but just growled at some tall bushes in front of them.

‘Someone is here.’

“Well… Well… Well… Miss Rotaru, we meet again.” The Kino boss from before grinned, emerging from the bushes with his goons. “You’ve been a bad girl, Kimika. You told on us and got us suspended from school. It’s all your fault.”

The guy moved closer and stared at Ronami in disgust.

“You still have that stupid furball with you. No worries. I’ll teach you both a lesson you won’t forget.”

Ronami growled and lunged at the boss, taking a nasty bite out of his arm to prevent him from reaching Kimika.

The thug yelped and threw Ronami into a nearby tree trunk. He rushed over to Kimika and grabbed her shoulders, forcing himself onto her. Kimika tried to push him away, but he was unusually strong for a human. Normally, Kimika could hold her own against any adult male human regardless of physique, but this one emanated with the strength far beyond that.

The thug boss wrapped his giant hands around her neck. Kimika screamed before his hands took a firm hold while she pushed away his intrusive arms. Just as the first tears fell down her cheeks, the sky turned black, and a deafening cascade of thunder ruptured the air. A bright light flashed through the sky, blinding them as it formed not far overhead. When it faded, a woman appeared, floating above them.

A breathtaking beauty with short white hair and striking light pink eyes gazed at them. She wore a skintight pink crop top and shorts with purple claw marks on its side. The woman’s white cat ears and sharp claws confirmed Kimika’s suspicions that this woman was not human.

“If you want to live, let the girl go,” the woman demanded.

Kimika’s assailant ignored her and smirked while wrapping his arm around Kimika’s neck and holding her tight.

“Who are you, cat woman?”

“I’m your worst nightmare if you don’t release her.” The woman readied herself and powered up for an attack. A bright blue and red ball of energy formed in her front hand. “You demons never learn. Do you?”

Kimika, terrified and confused, looked over to where Ronami laid unconscious. He could not help her. Her fate laid in the warrior woman’s hands.

Kimika watched as she dived at them with one fist extended. She swooped down in less than a few seconds. The force of her attack threw Kimika and her attacker in different directions.

Kimika, freed from her attacker, watched as she threw the energy ball in the other hand directly at him.

“Blast of the forbidden bond! Fire and Ice!” The blast hit its target, impaling him with waves of flames and ice. The power of the attack stripping away his skin and revealing a green beastly form with long blue hair and sharp horns. As the blast stripped him away bit by bit, the terrifying creature let out an agonizing scream. “Say hi to oblivion!”

The thugs lackeys scattered while the woman smirked, running her hands through her hair. All the commotion roused Ronami awake, and he ran to Kimika’s side. He bit her sleeve and pulled her gently away from the warrior woman.

‘Let’s go! We must leave before she comes after us!’

“I can’t. She saved my life. I must thank her.” Kimika whispered.

‘But she is very dangerous. If she finds out, you’re a demon. Besides, why does she scare you? Who is she?”

“I am Rika Makoto, the elemental goddess of earth, ice, fire, water, and lightning. Your little demon pet is right. You should fear me, since I’ve massacred many of your kind.” Rika said, floating over to Kimika with a sadistic grin painted on her face.

Kimika moved back when Rika stopped near her. Rika’s cold, unflinching stare sent chills down Kimika’s spine. She didn’t doubt this woman would take her life without hesitation.

Kimika smiled nervously. “No matter, you saved my life; and for that, I am truly grateful. Thank you.”

Makoto looked confused by Kimika’s reaction. “Did you hear what I said? Aren’t you scared?”

“I must admit you are quite intimidating, but I owe you my life. How can I fear someone who protected me?”

“You’re a twit. How do you know I just spared you so I could torture you for my pleasure? Don’t you know who I am?” Makoto exclaimed impatiently.

Kimika was not intimidated by Rika’s harsh words. Her careless smile grew, becoming warmer with every passing second.

“I don’t know for sure. But you seem like the type of person who would have killed me if you really wanted to. I know you’re a goddess, but other than that, I have no clue who you are.”

Rika looked at her, surprised. She could not believe this girl. She did not know who she was. Throughout all three worlds, her reputation was well known. It was a frightful tale told to ward off cocky demons and scare your children. So why didn’t she know who she was?

‘She is a rogue goddess, Miss Kimika. She defected against the divine order after a spirit detective killed her fiancé, Suzaku, one of the saint beasts. Now, she roams all three worlds, searching for him and his team, so she can kill them and avenge her lover. During her search, she has rampaged the worlds and killed any demon that crossed her path.’ Ronami explained while growling at Rika.

“But if your target is the spirit detective and his team, then why are you killing innocent demons?” Kimika asked, confused.

Rika Makoto looked away, grinning devilishly. “It’s the only way I can draw them out. I initially planned on killing you because you resemble one of his comrades, and you reek of his scent.”

‘Resemble? Don’t tell me. Is she talking about my brother?’ Kimika walked over to her and grabbed Rika’s shirt. “Is that demon’s name Kurama?”

Makoto’s eyes grew wide as she gently brushed off Kimika. “Yes. It is. Do you know him?”

“My mother warned me about him.” Kimika flashed a sheepish smile. She knew if she told the goddess the truth that there would be no guarantee that they would escape here alive.” I hope you get the chance to avenge your lost love’s death. I offer you my assistance if you ever need it. You made a devoted friend, Rika, and an even more loyal ally.”

“Friend? I don’t need or want a friend, but I could use a pawn. Just out of curiosity, why would you want to devote yourself to me?”

“You saved my life and seem like a good person. I admire you for that and your devotion to your fiancé. If I was in your shoes and someone killed the one who I loved, I wouldn’t stop searching the world until I hunted them down.” Kimika smiled softly, grabbing Rika’s hand. “Come with us. You can stay at my temple and rest for the night. You could meet my mom. She’s an earth/water sprite. She has many remedies that can help you recover after such a tremendous journey.”

Rika could not help but accept her offer, especially since she had not rested or had a decent meal in a very long time. She followed Kimika back home and stayed with her for the night.

The more she learned about Kimika, the stranger she felt. Foreign emotions invaded her heart and seized her commonsense. These feelings ignited an unfamiliar bond, one that warmed her once icy heart, the bond of friendship.