ChanYeol's Discovery

Hidden Talents

    “ChanYeol, for the last time. Get out of bed and go! You're already 5 minutes late for the meeting at the park...” His aggravated mother hissed into the tall boy's room. ChanYeol's only response for the umpteenth time with a low grumble and a shuffling under the sheets. “For the love of...” Park Umma growled and stormed into her son's room. She angrily tore the blankets off her son and placed her hands on her hips, looked at her soon laying on the bed. All ChanYeol wore was a pair of sweatpants which rested just under his hips, revealing the waistband of his boxers. “Park ChanYeol get up now!” She demanded. ChanYeol clicked his tongue and slowly pushed himself up. He clearly wasn't in the best of moods this morning between not getting enough sleep from his baby sister constantly crying as loud as her little lungs could muster and the fact he had to get up early, which isn't a thrilling idea. Currently working on no more than an hour's sleep, he turned and sat up, locking his dark gaze on his mother's. “Don't glare at me mister...” Park Umma hissed again. "Your friends were expecting you to be there 5 minutes ago." She continued to ramble.

    “Umma!” ChanYeol hissed loudly, causing his mother to fall silent. “Thanks to SooHyun constantly crying as loud as she can... I only got at least an hour of sleep if I'm lucky!” Chanyeol huffed and grabbed a handful of hair from the back of his head. He threw his legs over the edge of the bed and stood up, due to his height, he towered over his mother. “So now I'm going to be grumpy because someone woke me up!” He spun on his heel and strode to his drawer. This isn’t the first time Umma woke me up earlier than I had hoped. Ever since SooHyun was born it’s been constant crying, which had the result of a grumpy Umma. Well it’s not my fault Umma and Appa decided to do the nasty and end up having another child! That was all on them. So now here I am, trying my hardest not to be grumpy… But no, I never get what I want now a days… He heaved an aggravated sigh, trying to shake all thoughts out of his head. He glanced over at his Umma. “…Do you mind…?” He waved his hand a little, wanting his mother to leave the room. Park Umma released a huff from her nose then her heel, walking out of his room, slamming the door behind her. Wait for it… As if on cue, SooHyun began to cry as loud as her tiny lungs could muster.

    ChanYeol let out an angry growl. He tossed a small ball over at his stereo and blared music in the room. He felt his lips curl into a slight smile when he heard one of his favorite songs blaring through the large speakers.

Seoulsiga jamideun sigane
amumareomneun bamhaneureun chimchakhae
geuwa bandaero jigeum nae simjangeun
oneulman salgeotcheoreom aju ginbakhae

Saraisseumeul neukkilttaemyeon,
nan sansongjangcheoreom nupgisirheo!
jigeum i sungani hutnal jugi doedeorado
chwichimsiganeul dwiro mirwo, mirwo, mirwo,
mirror on the wall- nae moseubi eottae?

Nuni puk paeigo molgoreun chochwehaedoi
don't care at all-
nae cheongchuneun 14 carat gold!
danji jogeum deo eoridangeon
eogulhagin haedo jamjaegachiga keo!
So I gotta live my
life young, die later!!

I bami wado i bami gado I’m always awake!
taeyangi bamhaneurui dalbicheul garyeodo always awake!

    ChanYeol let out a calming sigh as he ran a comb through his wavy, honey-colored hair. He yanked his phone off the charger and turned it on. 15 Unread Text Messages. 5 Missed Calls. He sighed and pulled up the unread texts.

    “Yah! ChanYeol-ah! Where are you?! You’re late!” 9:05am

    “ChanYeol-hyung! Hurry up and get over here! MinHyuk is getting impatient!” 9:13am

   The list of messages went on and on. “…” ChanYeol sighed. He threw his phone across the room. Here’s hoping it lands on my bed… I can’t afford to buy another phone… To ChanYeol’s luck, it does and fills the tall boy with relief. He pulled a plain white t-shirt over his head, which fit pretty snuggly against his muscular frame. He pulled a pair of his favourite dark blue jeans out from the drawer below, stripped from his sweatpants and hopped around, slipping each leg into one of the pant legs. He plopped down on his bed and zipped them up, fiddling with the button. He sighed and fell back, landing on his phone which started to vibrate crazily. “…” He reached underneath his back and pulled the ringing phone out from underneath him. He scoffed slightly then slid the small green button to the side, holding his phone to his ear. “Yeoboseyo…?” He spoke up and reached over, turning the stereo off.

    “Park ChanYeol where the hell are you?! You were supposed to be here 15 minutes ago!” A voice from one end of the phone yelled, causing ChanYeol to pull the phone away from his ear. He rolled his eyes and pressed the phone to his ear again once the person on the other end had finished yelling.

    “I’m at home still… I’m getting ready now. SooHyun kept me up all night with her constant screaming, and then my Umma came in with her usual snappy attitude and woke me up… So I’m not on the happy side right now.” He muttered with an annoyed tone. “Just wait a bit more… I’ll be there soon.” He sighed a little.

    “You better not just say that and then you don’t actually show up…”

    “Would I ever do that to you?” ChanYeol asked.

    “Yes. You would. You’ve done it before…”

    ChanYeol fell silent. “…”

    “Just get your lazy over here!” The voice snapped before the line went dead.

    ChanYeol rolled his eyes and stood up again, slipping his phone in his back pocket. ChanYeol brushed his hair back and put on his red snapback then wandered to the open closet and pulled out a leather jacket, sliding the door closed. He threw it over his shoulder and opened his door, wandering out calmly and shutting the wooden door behind him. He trailed down the hall, passing his sister’s room. He hopped up on the railing and slid down the sturdy structure to the bottom of the great amount of stairs. He quickly slipped off and stumbled into the kitchen, running into his mother who ended up dropping a glass plate on the floor. ChanYeol’s eyes widened a little. “Uhh… Whoops?” He blinked and carefully maneuvered his way around the shattered plate. He scooped a bright red apple out of the small fruit bowl and slipped back to where he came from. “See ya!”
    “Park ChanYeol!” Park Umma yelled only to hear the front door close. She let out a sigh and slid around the glass, reaching for the broom to sweep up the mess.

    ChanYeol chomped down on the apple he grabbed. He jogged down the street, pulling his jacket on his arms after a bone-chilling breeze forcefully hit his back. “Today… Of all days…” He muttered.

    ***

    “I’m here!” ChanYeol called out as he jogged into the park. He looked around. “Yah!” He called out again. No answer. He wandered around a little. “I told them I’d be here in a few minutes… Did they seriously leave..?” He huffed and walked backwards a little, trying to look around the park better. “Uhp!” His eyes widened when he backed up into something. Or rather, someone. ChanYeol slowly turned around and locked eyes on the slightly taller boy behind him. “Kris…”

    “ChanYeol…” Kris huffed. He clicked his tongue and looked around. “Looks like they left you huh…?” He smirked.

    “What did you do…?” ChanYeol rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest.

    “Nothing really… I just told them that you weren’t actually coming here. Boy the eldest one there looked furious. I wonder why?” Kris let out a huff of laughter.

    “You did what?!” ChanYeol snapped furiously. He remembered that he said he wouldn’t do that to them this time. “Why would you do that?!”

    “I wanted to have a little fun… What’s so bad about that?” Kris huffed.

    ChanYeol crunched his hand into a tight fist, his knuckles beginning to turn white. He wasn’t one for starting fights, let alone be in a fight at all. He suddenly felt his hand getting really hot, which made him slowly glance down at his hand to see that nothing was wrong. “Just go, before I beat your sorry .” He said slowly, trying to keep his anger in. “I’m already in a grumpy mood thanks to my crabby mother and my extremely loud sister. I don’t need an everyday making it worse.” He snapped.

    “Everyday … Well that’s new.” Kris shrugged and tucked a hand in his pocket. He reached over patted ChanYeol’s head. “Better luck next time.” He snickered a little then spun on his heel, striding off in the opposite direction.

    ChanYeol brushed his shoulder off and huffed loudly. “Son of a-!” He stopped himself from cursing. His hand suddenly felt like it was on fine, but it actually was covered in a red-hot flame. He angrily threw his hand behind him; send the large flame rocketing backwards toward a tree. ChanYeol shook his hand then glanced down to see his fist was bright red. “What the…” He turned to see a large tree had caught fire. ChanYeol’s eyes shot open. “Oh god.” He gasped. He took a few steps back then bolted off, a trail of flaming footprints sprouted from the ground after every step he took. Beads of sweat coated his forehead from the sudden heat enveloping his entire body. He glanced back at where he had come from. “What the hell?!” He shook his head and kept running.

    ***

    ChanYeol was already out of breath by the time he arrived in his front lawn. He slumped down on the ground and sat on the cool grass. He let out a nervous sigh and glanced down at the soles of his shoes. Not even a single scratch… He turned around a little and glanced at the flickering flames he had left behind. “How did I do that…?” He blinked. “Or… Did I even do that…?”  He said slowly.

    ChanYeol was more confused than ever. He puffed out his cheeks and raised his right hand. “Still red…” He mumbled and made a tight fist to the point where his knuckles slowly started to turn white. He, again, felt his hand starting to burn. Hesitantly he opened his hand, leaning back, just to be on the safe side. “…” To his surprise, there was a faint flame flickering in the center of his palm. His eyes widened and he pulled his hand towards him as he opened his hand. He stared directly at the heart of the flame. “Maybe…” He blinked then threw his hand forward, as if to throw a ball. Little did he know, what he threw was larger than a tennis ball. He threw a large ball of crackling flames.

~~~~~~~~~~~


ChanYeol let out a calming sigh as he ran a comb through his wavy, honey-colored hair.

To his surprise, there was a faint flame flickering in the center of his palm. His eyes widened and he pulled his hand towards him as he opened his hand. He stared directly at the heart of the flame.