Monday: Begin Operation Hyukhae

Chemistry

Monday

 

I knew something was up the minute I walked into the chemistry lab. My best friends were trying to strangle each other with test tubes even though Hyukjae was sort of a genius and knows that test tubes are not very pliable. Then again, Hyukjae never manages to keep his oversized brain power whenever that dumb, fish-like man by the name of Lee Donghae was near. How I have miraculously survived three years of high school while befriending the two nemeses at the same time cannot be fathomed. I must simply be amazing.

 

“You know guys,” I said as I slid onto the lab stool across from the dynamic duo, “test tubes are not the best strangling devices. You should try rope. Or spaghetti.”

 

“Really? Spaghetti works?” Donghae replied. Poor fish was so naïve sometimes.

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes. He dropped his test tube and pushed his glasses up. “Of course a dumb like you would believe that. Do you even have a brain?” he scoffed.

 

Donghae’s big, watery eyes landed on me and I knew he was about to have another episode. Even though I sometimes doubt my dumb fish had any intelligence, I still have to defend my best friend.

 

“Hyuk, you know that’s enough. Besides, what got you so worked up today?” I asked, trying for truce.

 

“Lee over here spilled base all over me,” Hyukjae said. He glared at Donghae and huffed. Personally, I think they look adorable when they’re mad at each other, but I have to stop the fight before Hyukjae’s mad scientist brain thinks of an elaborate “Kill the Fish” plan.

 

“Hyukjae, you know I did not drop the base on you on purpose! It was an accident!” Donghae yelled while attempting to defend himself. However, knowing Hyukjae, nothing can be done to amend things once the base has dropped. Ooh, I made a pun.

 

“You know what, I don’t have time for this,” I said. “Smile for the camera!” I whipped out my recording cam and started filming the two. The deer in the headlights looks on their faces were priceless.

 

“Kyu, what the hell do you think you’re doing?” Hyukjae demanded. He hid most of his face behind his chemistry book and glared at my camera with vengeance. “You know how I feel about being on film.”

 

Donghae snickered. “So you know how ugly you look? I thought I had to break the news to you!” Donghae teased. Hyukjae just kicked him in the shins and continued his staring contest with my camera.

 

“Don’t be mad at me,” I explained, “this is for film class. We are suppose to film a week long documentary about our friends. Since both of you are my friends, deal with it.”

 

“You have other friends!” Hyukjae almost screamed.

 

“But you guys are my best friends! Come on man, don’t abandon me on this.” I really just wanted to capture the Hyukhae antics on film, but they didn’t need to know that.

 

Donghae smirked at Hyukjae. “What, chicken? Too scared of a camera? So lame.” Donghae challenged.

 

Hyukjae’s man pride must have bubbled up in his chest for he tackled Donghae and those two are rolling around on the floor. Again. It would really surprise you how many times this has happened.

 

“Oh so you think you’re so cool? Hanging out in the dump everyday with your so called friends just wasting your life away smoking pot?!” Hyukjae hissed.

 

Donghae glared back. “At least I know how to have fun. You, you walk around with a stick up your arse! All you ever care about is books, college, oh daddy didn’t give me enough money to spend on books!” he growled and spit in Hyukjae’s face.

 

Hyukjae’s face was beet red. If this was a cartoon, there would be steam coming out of his ears.

 

“Come on guys,” I tried to reason with them.

 

“Don’t you get involved, Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae snapped. He glowered at Donghae and said, “Fine. We’ll see. By the end of this week, I can show you how much of a pathetic loser you are, and guess what, it will be on film.” He gave Donghae a hard shove before getting up.

 

“You know what, I can also show you how much of an arse you are by the end of this week. The film will show what a spoiled son of a you actually are!” Donghae yelled. He got up and tried to storm out of the lab. Keyword: tried. The poor fish had the terrible luck of running straight into Teukie hyung. Teukie hyung was actually a good friend of mine, but he also was our chemistry teacher.

 

“Lee Donghae where do you think you are going?” Teukie hyung asked. He grabbed Donghae and dragged him to his assigned seat: right next to Hyukjae.

 

“Hyung I-“ Donghae tried to reason, but chemistry was dear to Teukie hyung as the bible was dear to Shisus. No one could escape or interrupt chemistry. It was a sin.

 

Donghae slumped down in his seat and stared out the window. Hyukjae just sneered. I swear those two are like a married couple that constantly fight but have great make up every night. Which gives me an idea…

 


 

After school, I was walking home with my sidekick, Henry. Both Donghae and Hyukjae have to go to dance practice together. Isn’t it funny how those two absolutely “hate” each other yet they share so many minutes in each other’s presence? That’s right. It isn’t funny, but rather odd. Which is why I came up with a new idea.

 

“Henry, is it crazy to think that Hae and Hyuk are secretly in love with each other?” I asked.

 

He opened his mouth to respond but then stopped. A look of deep thought washed over his face. “You know hyung,” he said after a moment of silence, “I was gonna laugh at how absurd that sounds, but now that I thought about it, you could totally be right! I mean, they are totally perfect for each other! Hyuk’s brain complements Hae’s naïvetés and Hae’s spunk can spunk up Hyuk’s life! It was like they were made for each other!”

 

“I am not crazy then!” I said, rather excited.

 

Henry shook his head happily.

 

“So you in?” I continued.

 

He frowned. “I’m confused, were we planning something?”

 

“Since we both agree Hyuk and Hae should get together and save my brain cells, we are now going to play match maker.” I smiled. “Operation Hyukhae is official. Agent Henry, prepare for your first assignment!”

 


Author's Notes:

Instead of an one shot, I have decided to make this a seven-chaptered story! If you found any mistakes, please let me know! Thanks for reading!

-Bedazzled