End

You and I

Inspired by John Legend's song 'You and I'.

 


 

Miyoung stared at herself in the mirror and tried to find anything else to fix besides the make-up she had already put on. She scrutinized herself closely and sighed when she realized the eyeliner on her other eye was a little bit crooked than the another. With a huff, she gave in and decided to not to let the girl in the living room wait.

 

Her dress was a bit too tight but she had managed to fit herself in just because she wanted to look good for Taeyeon for tonight. It was their anniversary. First anniversary. Taeyeon had booked a table at some nice restaurant, that she probably spent days trying to get just to make it all lavish for her girlfriend. Miyoung wasn't a material girl and she would have settled with a date at their favourite noodle shop but Taeyeon wanted her to feel like a lady.

 

Taeyeon was sitting on the couch, fiddling with the rubber case of her phone, pulling it off and putting it back on repeatedly. Anxiously waiting. When she heard the clacking of high heels against the wooden floor, she turned around and somehow her breath got stuck in seeing the beauty in front of her.

 

Her mind was unable to form a coherent thought as Miyoung slowly made her way to her, cheeks burning but she wasn't going to let her shyness get in the way tonight.

 

''You...'' Taeyeon gulped. ''You look really beautiful.''

 

''Thank you.'' Miyoung didn't stop blushing but assumed Taeyeon didn't even notice because of the make up she wore.

 

But the truth was, Taeyeon noticed. She also noticed how fancily her hair was done, how the make-up on her eyes was put on in a perfected manner instead of quick defines with an eyeliner. How the lipstick was a darker shade of red instead of her usual pinkish lipgloss. Taeyeon liked it, she loved it but she still secretly preferred the messy bed hair, natural face look Miyoung pulled off daily. She loved it when they had nowhere to go and she would stay make up less the whole day, not worrying about how she looked like.

 

Because frankly, in Taeyeon's eyes she looked perfect either way.

 

''Let's go?'' Taeyeon slowly grasped Miyoung's hand and intertwined them, causing the latter to smile.

 

As they were having a quiet dinner at the restaurant, Taeyeon kept noticing how Miyoung would check herself in the small mirror she carried in her purse from time to time, adding more lipstick or fixing her hair.

 

So when she was about to pull it back out from her purse again before their desserts came, Taeyeon placed her hand on top of Miyoung's.

 

''Don't,''

 

Miyoung looked up and met her eyes, raising her brows slightly.

 

''You look just fine to me.'' Taeyeon smiled at her.

 

Miyoung smiled sheepishly and slowly put the mirror back in her purse.

 

''Sorry,''

 

''Don't be.'' Miyoung blushed again when Taeyeon never let go of her hand.

 

After the dinner, they linked their arms and walked in a quiet pace through the park. In the silence, Miyoung kept contemplating if she was ever good enough like the other girls. Did Taeyeon look at her and feel proud that this was her girl right there. Was she what Taeyeon was expecting her to be, was she being anything but that at all. It always bothered her poor mind but she never let Taeyeon know. She wouldn't let the girl know she was self-conscious about herself.

 

She knew she was pretty but seeing Taeyeon be so comfortable in her own skin, being silly and sometimes not even bothering to comb her hair when they spent a day together cooped up in their apartment, she wondered if Taeyeon would mind her being the same way. She loved Taeyeon when she was silly and when she looked like a complete hobo, when she would look like a mess and still be confident about it.

 

She wanted Taeyeon to love her the same way.

 

But Taeyeon was observant and she could see the uncertainty in Miyoung's eyes sometimes when other girls were around or when it came to discussing their flaws. She just wanted to tell her straight up, that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her. That she loved her exactly the way she was. That no one else mattered to her. That out of the other girls, Miyoung was the only girl for her.

 

But she had decided that she would try to show her instead. Because actions spoke louder than words. And they certainly didn't need any words.

 

That night, Taeyeon had finally revealed what was in the bag she had dragged along the whole time they were celebrating their anniversary. They stopped by a bench at the park and Taeyeon sat down, taking off her heels all of a sudden. She put them in the bag and pulled out a pair of her own sneakers and put them on.

 

Miyoung gawked at her, sneakers with a nice dress was a fashion disaster, but after seeing the grin on the girls face, she suddenly stopped caring about how bad it actually looked like.

 

''I brought yours too,'' she pulled out Miyoung's pink sneakers, the ones that were slightly worn out but she swore to use until they were completely broken to bits and pieces.

 

Taeyeon pulled her hand and made the dumbfounded girl sit down, leaning down to gently open the straps of the heels on her ankles. Her nimble fingers touched the soft skin there so delicately that Miyoung found herself falling in love with Taeyeon all over again with just the way she touched her so gently. Taeyeon was always so considerate when it came to her.

 

Miyoung watched confusingly as she slid them off one by one, the scene suddenly reminding her of one of her favourite childhood movies.

 

Cinderella.

 

How the prince would put the glass shoe on Cinderella's foot. It felt exactly the same way when Taeyeon put the pink sneakers on her feet, the shoes that she was most comfortable with. Shoes with her favorite color that fit her so well. And when they were tied, Miyoung looked down from her skin tight dress to her feet. Horrible.

 

But she decided it was perfect just like Taeyeon was perfect for her. Just like everything she did was perfect in her eyes.

 

Taeyeon got back up and grinned at her. ''There. Now we can walk back home comfortably. ''

 

Miyoung stared at her and tried to make the soaring in her heart stop. It was too much. Her heart was filled with so much love and happiness that she could feel it almost explode.

 

''Thank you,'' The words came out as a whisper. Tears were b in her eyes but they weren't sad tears. She was so happy that she felt like she was on top of the world. Taeyeon made her that happy.

 

Taeyeon leaned back and Miyoung took the cue to lean her head on her shoulder. She closed her eyes and smiled to herself when Taeyeon grabbed both of her cold hands to make them warm.

 

You didn't just make my day Taeyeon. You made my life.