Chapter XI

Miss You

Lu Han

Miraculously, it snowed yesterday as they shared a moment of love and intimacy, on Christmas night. Lu Han thought it seemed as if it was a gift from the Heavens, just for them. Well, perhaps including other couples, too.

As usual, a mug of coffee and a freshly baked loaf of butter cream bread lay quietly on the round dining table fit for two, three at most. Ianthe, his Angel, was asleep in bed. Hence, Lu Han moved quietly, mimicking her, as he ate quickly and gulped down the drink. The strong smell alone could wake him.

“See you later, sweet.” Lu Han, unable to resist the urge, bent and lingered a kiss on Ianthe’s temple. Not surprisingly, the sensitive Angel stirred and smiled up with sleepy blue eyes at him.

“So you shall, Deer.” She, romantically, returned the favor from earlier and fell back against the fluffy pillows again. Lu Han hid a grin as he shook his head and led himself out of the door.

If only he didn’t have school today. Or work. He would stay home with his Immortal girlfriend and try understanding more of her enigmatic World, where Pegasuses fly and race freely in the skies, or, our space.

Or, maybe, kiss her senseless.

He quite liked the latter.

Damn the 26th of December this year.

~

School had ended thirty minutes ago, and Lu Han’s Angel was nowhere in sight with her Starbucks package in hand. Lu Han worried. Had she met with trouble? Did she need him?

He didn’t wait any longer, for he knew Ianthe was one of punctuality; she always was there on the dot waiting for him before the school gates. He guessed something was amiss again, the feeling pitting in his guts. He ran.

 

It did not feel right outside his door as he fumbled in his pocket for the keys. When he finally managed to grasp them, he turned the key in its lock with shaky hands.

The door creaked open to reveal the scene inside.

 

Ianthe

I’ve felt a change in the surrounding air since the moment we returned from Namsan yesterday night. Like the sixth sense of an Immortal, there had been other presences of non-Mortal beings around the apartment. It gave me the ominous chills down my spine, but since nothing had happened, I decided to drop it.

The feeling is back again now; while I’m preparing to pay my daily weekday visits to the Starbucks Karla the vixen is at (and possibly, gloat in her face about the incident that took place Christmas Eve). I open the door, and find two tall men in absolute, pure white loitering just right outside our door, leaning against the supporting walls. They have their top hats-also a sparkly white-pulled low to cover their mysterious features. They even glow with a brilliant, bright yellow-white aura around them, and I know who they are without having them to bare their faces.

Gabriel, Michael, I draw the all-too familiar names out through the tight clench of my teeth. My blood runs cold. I know what is in store for me.

Ianthe, sister, found you at last. Archangel Michael, my god-brother and friend from above, tips his hat elegantly my way and winks from under his lashes, a smile splaying on his perfectly proportioned lips as he and the other make their way into the house casually. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in me to return the greeting smile, but nod stiffly and glare at them with distrust.

Archangel Gabriel is more stern and solemn. He has known me since I became an Angel, like childhood friends, but he never treated me right, always the cold, distant one. He now regards me with serious eyes. Ianthe, you violated the Laws…

Not on purpose, we know, so, good for you, you don’t have to be severely punished. Michael inserts into the icy conversation cheerfully, trying to warm the temperature, which I appreciate, but is totally unnecessary when one faces Gabriel.

Just come back with us to our World. The sentence I’ve been dreading the most all along spewed from Gabriel’s lips. I glower at them.

You know what mess I’ve gotten myself into here, and so you should know how I feel about that sentence and the whole prospect of returning. Gabriel makes to say something, but I interrupt first. Perhaps not you, Archangel Gabriel, for you know not how love addicts, for all I know.

Gabriel’s expression darkens as Michael pleads with me to shut up with his eyes. At least, he knows what it feels like to be in love with someone, considering I would be a ‘sister-in-law’ soon.

You have no say in this. You know our rules: Immortals and Mortals are forbidden to be together.

Why can’t we, when it’s obvious we share the mutual feelings? I scream at Gabriel, who remain irritatingly calm and serene to my protestant tantrums in his face.

Only the Elders know, and they are told to seal the reason, a secret, within. Michael interjects unhelpfully. I ignore him.

Gabriel shoots him a look, and then looks down his nose at me. If you do not, both sides will suffer damage, he simply puts. But I am too agitated to try analyzing his stupid riddles. I make to rebut, but freeze when the lock of the door clicks.

Lu Han is home.

He stares wide-eyed at us three, bafflement clouding his large, brown eyes. I want to hold his face, kiss him, and tell him assuredly that everything is fine. I bite my bottom lip.

Ianthe… Lu Han starts speaking, and the wretched Archangel Gabriel cuts in rudely.

He is the mite you’re so smitten with? How childish, Gabriel scoffed. Lu Han bristles, and makes a move to approach us, but is suddenly frozen in track. His eyes enlarge again in surprise as he struggles within.

Archangel power. Gabriel is keeping him in place with his status-gained powers.

As a young boy from when I’ve known him, Gabriel had been annoying, always so boring and gloomy. But now, I find that I dislike him even more, for the person he is freaking against is my lover. I do not understand him! Love, childish? That’s his freaking opinion! He doesn’t have to voice it out loud! Did he think I’d give second thoughts to staying permanently on Earth with my Deer?

No! Never!

I lunge for Lu Han, adrenaline and anger pulsing through me. As I anticipated, both Angels took hold of my arms and held me back from Lu Han while I retaliate violently. Lu Han, suspecting at first, gives a silent cry of rage as he attempts to struggle his way out of the enchantment increases, but with futility.

Lu Han’s pained cry, I heard clearly in mind and in heart, as he drops to the ground on one knee, bent double. I stop my own struggles in the two men’s arms, fear clutching my heart.

What did you do to him? WHAT? I wail, renewing my efforts to break free and run to my Deer. I twist, I shake, I stamp my feet heavily on theirs, but the two Angels’ grip only tightened on my arm, Gabriel’s biting achingly into my arm as he growls and bring his outstretched arm further downwards. Like a puppet in full control by the strings master, Lu Han lets out a bloodcurdling howl aloud this time as he tumbles flat onto the floor on his back, writhing in torment. My heart breaks off a piece at every roll he makes.

Stop, stop! I’ll go with you, damn it! Stop torturing him! You idiot! Tears spill, cascading down my face as Gabriel lets out a grunt in satisfaction, I bet, to my upmost loathing, and relieves the pressure on my arm under his fingers.

Good. I warned you, didn’t I? He smirks, and releases his paranormal hold on Lu Han.

Deer is barely alive; his lashes are damp with furiously held back tears as I kneel by his spasming body and cup his dear face in my hands. I will memorize every feature, every line, and every contour of him. My love…

Michael comes by me to whisper by my ears gently, but I don’t hear what he is saying, focused entirely on Lu Han’s face.

Ianthe, like as if he is dying, Lu Han splutters.

White hot anger flares in me again, and I release my wrath on Gabriel.

You douche! I screech, barely stopping myself from cursing words ten times more vile.

Ianthe, you know that Gabriel only cares about you-, Michael tries to calm me down, but I refuse. Care, you call this care?!

I don’t want his care! I snapped, my boiling point reached, and place both my hands on the Angel’s chest. I shove with all my might so that he stumbles backwards awkwardly. You, Archangel Gabriel, I want nothing to do with you from now on. Every pain you inflict upon my Mortal, I will return tenfold. Blood in me, I swear to thee!

I jab my index finger vigorously at the man’s chest harshly, hoping my words were etched in his damn mind, and spin around back to clutch Lu Han’s hand in mine in a death grip.

Let’s go, sister. Michael says quietly, sympathizing.

I know there’s no room for argument, and sink my front teeth deep into my bottom lip till I taste copper to hold back the overwhelming tears of anguish, and drop a fleeting, final kiss on Lu Han’s luscious, wonderfully sculptured lips. Michael lays a hand upon my trembling shoulders as I let the dam burst, tears forming rivulets down my face.

The surroundings begin to change.

Brother, one last thing I request of you.

Name it.

Erase his memory of me. Everything we once shared, things and feelings both, except two. Let him… I choked. Forget me.

Barely two days, we’ve been together as a couple, and two days later, we’re separated again. The desperation and sudden hatred I have for the arrogant Archangel Gabriel is equal on the scales.

He, I detest.

Rest assured I will, dear sister. Michael promises ruefully, and I feel Lu Han’s hand slipping like ice from my hands.

Ianthe… Lu Han manages to whisper-barely.

My heart shatters into a million, fragile yet sharp pieces. Whoever who treads on them, they shall suffer the cuts of glass in the soles of their feet-my pain.

I love you, my Deer at Dawn…Always. My fingers caress his hair and face gently, soothingly, so in contrary to the turmoil and sorrow within. The last time I will hear my name from his lips, I keep the memories with me as we leave.

Lu Han’s eyes open a tiny gap as his fingers try to reach towards me. I face Michael so as to not look at him and bawl like a baby into the Archangel’s shoulder.

I’ll miss you…