Chapter 7

The story of us.

A week after the shoot on the cruise in the middle of Busan Sea, Jong Kook, Jihyo, Jaesuk and Myuk PD decided to meet. It was this little restaurant at the corner of Hongdae Street. The private area of the restaurant had brick walls as their mural and it was decorated with wooden furniture. It was elegant yet the restaurant had a free and simple aura which made everyone felt relaxed and blissful.

Right at the corner of the private area, a table was filled with 4 people chatting happily. Jihyo and Jong kook were sitting together side by side while opposite them were Jaesuk and Myuk PD.

Jong kook held onto Jihyo’s right hand and placed it at his thigh just under the table so nobody could see. His thumb kept brushing her knuckles, feeling Jihyo’s soft skin against his. Both of them had smiles on their faces and their eyes had a different kind of sparkle in them. Jaesuk looked sheepishly at the pair of love birds who can’t seem to look away from one another.

“I think it’s going to be hard to keep their relationship from everyone at this rate.”

“Aishhh. Hyung! You promised to help us! Come on!!!!”

Myuk PD just gave a little laugh already expecting the outcome of this meeting. “Hahaha! Stop it you two! I have a little over an hour before I need to be at SBS office to discuss the next few Running man themes.”

“Owh. You already started planning more than the two episodes per week?” Jaesuk inquired. He was always asked to attend the meetings to help improve the current ratings of the variety show. It was fairly new and they needed to ensure that the ratings are stable else it will be cancelled.

“Yes, definitely we will need your input on this Jaesuk-ah…. But the pressing issue now is the couple right in front of me. I have seen and heard one too many victims of loveliness couples being the problems for real couples. And in the end, the real couple usually break up due to misunderstandings and fights.”

“Who have you known to go through that PDnim?” Asked Jong kook, curious to know.

“Never you mind… It’s a secret among us PD even between other broadcasting stations. Let me advise you one thing though. The show… We got married. If possible avoid at all cost.”

Silence suddenly dawned upon them as if each one of them were thinking of the possibilities of what would happen if they were casted in it. Jaesuk broke the silence with a joke.

“I wouldn’t mind! HAHAHAHA! I want someone from a new girl group!  A pink Eunji!!! YAHHHH! SUCH A SWEETHEART!!!”

“Hyung! You. Have. A. Wife!” Hissed Jong kook with his eyes as small as they possibly could be on Jaesuk.

“Eyyy… Jong kook ah. I’m sure he’s kidding. I mean, with a wife like hers would you ever think of leaving her, Jaesuk ah?”

“Of course not! She’s my everything! Sometimes, I feel that she could do everything and all I do is just talk to her, fill her in about my day. But she makes me happy! She’s cheerful and she gives me strength.”

“Right.” PD Myuk acknowledge Jaesuk praises about his wife. “You make me jealous for still being single. But we are digressing here… I want your opinion about Monday couple continuing on the show. “

Jihyo had been silent the whole time and only laughing alongside them. She held on Jong kook’s hand tighter when the topic of Monday couple surfaced as she did not know what to do about it.

“Just continue on with it. It’s helping with the ratings a lot currently. I’ll keep my feelings professional during working hours. You have my word on that.” Jong kook answered on behalf of Jihyo.

Jihyo just looked at him quietly and gave him a tight squeeze. Jong kook ignored the sudden pressure he felt in his hand and continued looking at Myuk PD. “I am sure of it.” He said, hoping the words gave more assurance to Jihyo rather than the two sitting opposite him.

“Another thing. We need to know if you are planning to go public about your relationship. It will be a mess if suddenly everything just went open and it will confuse and anger the viewers. Trust me on this.”   

Again, Jong kook was quick to answer, “We’re keeping it a secret first. Until we are ready. We will inform you when the time comes.”

Jaesuk turned his head to face Jihyo, “Chun Seong Im. Are you sleeping? Hahaha! What do you think? Don’t keep quiet about everything! Where’s the Ace that we know?”

“Jong kook oppa has said everything. We want to keep it a secret for now. Thank you for understanding us and sorry for any trouble.” Jihyo looked at the two older men sitting opposite her and gave her all her sincerity in apologising and appreciating their help.

Jong kook gave a quick glance around the restaurant and noticing that they were the only ones left he gave a quick kiss on Jihyo’s forehead before shyly looking down at his already empty plate. Jihyo’s cheeks went crimson red and she had to force herself to look down as the two opposite her laughed happily, surprised at Jong kook’s sudden act.

The hour flew by and everyone started to go their own way, everyone except kim Jong Kook and Song Ji Hyo. Jihyo was expecting Jong kook to send her back home so she followed him closely, standing beside him but not too near in case someone was watching them. Jong kook, however, feeling naughty got close to her and whispered to her ear. 

“Why are you following me? I am going to the studio after this. I told you I have to prepare for my album.”

Jihyo did not stop in her tracks. In fact, she just slowed down her pace, keeping her face straight, trying not to show any disappointment. Jong kook continued his stride, knowing that Jihyo fell for his trap and he turned to smile at her while walking backwards.

“There’s a lot of cabs up front! Go home and have a good rest ok! I’ll see you next week during running man.”

She just kept moving forward. She told herself that she will not be childish anymore in this relationship. Taking in a deep breath, she looked at him straight in the eye and caught up with him, making Jong kook flustered.

“Neh. I will rest. Oppa, don’t overwork ok! I’ll text you when I get back. Bye, oppa!”

With confident strides, she moved further away from him but she did not manage to get far. Jong kook grabbed her arms and made her face him. His face was straight, serious. There was no smile, no happiness in his eyes. He then led jihyo to his car and told her to enter.

“What happened to the Jihyo I know? What didn’t she fight for me?”

“Oppa, why would I fight for you when I know, that right here, in my heart… You already have a place here. Nobody can ever take your place. I don’t want to be childish anymore and fight over work or time. I trust you. I trust you to love me back.” Jihyo said as she takes Jong kook’s hand and placed it to her chest, right by her heart.

Jong kook flexed his fingers and closed it around Jihyo’s hands. He leaned forward and slowly, Jihyo saw that his eyes turned softer and he placed a soft kiss on her lips. Jong kook’s other hand moved to the nape of jihyo’s neck and once more, Jong kook leaned for another kiss, this time with more passion. They both kissed for a while until Jong kook pulled away, resting his forehead on hers, both of them panting.

“I love you Jihyo ah. Now, let’s send you back.”

 

 

“Owh… Eomonim! Don’t trouble yourself! I’m here just because I’m in the neighbourhood. Thought I pass this delicious fruits I saw on the way.”

“I was making tea before you come anyway! So it’s no trouble. Usually, around this time, Jihyo will be learning her drama lines and she really loves drinking tea while memorising. And it became a habit for me to drink it too,” Jihyo’s mother replied. “Chang Joo ah. Eomonim really likes you. And Jihyo… She doesn’t really open herself up to guys, because she wants to focus on her career.”

“So… She doesn’t have a boyfriend before this?”

“Ne… Ani! Chang Joo ah. Listen to me. I know you are the right one for her. Thank you for taking care of her in your agency. I know you probably don’t directly work with her but for giving her the chance, I’m truly grateful.”

“It’s my job. Don’t worry about that. But Eomonim… Would Jihyo really want to accept me?”

Baek Chang joo looked up to see his prospect mother in law, eyes determined. Jihyo’s mother smiled, looking at him for of understanding and stood up to go to the kitchen.

It had been a year since Baek Chang joo started to notice Jihyo. During one of the company dinner, Jihyo had brought her parents along and Chang Joo has gotten quite attached to them. He glances at the picture frames at the side table beside him. There were pictures of Jihyo and her siblings, her family and right at the front was a picture of her by herself, standing in front of what seem to look like her new apartment.

“Jihyo yah. I know this is self-centred. But I am going to make you mine. From the moment you came to apply for a spot in this agency, I can’t keep my eyes of you. Oh, what have you done to me?”

 

 

Jong kook was driving all the way to Ilsan, with a sleeping Jihyo beside him. Jihyo was tired juggling from the running man shooting and her ongoing drama, gyebak. Jong kook lowered down the music and looked at Jihyo.

“Even when asleep, you stir my heart, princess. Oh how you make me happy!”

“Oppa… You’re my first! Mine! I want you to be the last as well.” She mumbled.

Jong kook took her hand and brought it to his lips, kissing the knuckles softly, while keeping his other hand still on the steering wheel. Placing her hand on his lap, he drove on thinking of only that moment and savouring the joy of their newly built relationship.