Chapter 16

The story of us.

Kim Jongkook was sleeping soundly and so deeply that he did not noticed how badly his back was aching. Body bent, his head was just by Jihyo’s and his hand was holding onto hers still. Someone tapped his shoulders. All it did was to make him shift slightly in his sleep.

“Oppa. Wake up.” Said the voice softly.

His head jerked up and he could finally feel his aching back. He squinted towards the direction of the person who woke him up.

“Owh. Jihye ah. Oh no! I fell asleep.” Jong Kook was flustered. “Did anyone see?”

“No. But they are going to catch you if you don’t leave and leave secretly. The doctors are coming to check on Unnie anytime soon.” Replied Jihye.

“Don’t worry. I’ll you out and answer any questions that the reporters ask.” They both turned to look at who had just spoke. Changjoo looked exhausted, standing by the door. The dark patches beneath his eyes are more obvious than ever. After the conversation with Jihyo’s parents, he went to have a drink by himself before gathering up his thoughts to do his duties as Jihyo’s manager.

Jongkook and Changjoo both moved down to his car. Both of them avoided talking as much they could as they each remembered the confrontation before. But it was much too awkward to hold any longer.

“Hey, Listen. I’m really sorry about what happened. It’s just….”

“No fret. I know. Jihyo likes you. I should have thought about her happiness anyway.” He rushed through his words. Being sincere was much harder than he thought it would be. And when they reached Jong Kook’s car, he said, “Take care of her. A manager can only go so far.” And with a pat at the back, Changjoo left to head back up again and Jong Kook got into the car before any reporters could spot him.

JIhyo was not allowed a phone and by any case, she was still too weak to use it. So Jong Kook could not get any update about her. All he did know was that running man shoot was to continue even without Jihyo. The day was supposed to exciting and fun, especially with girls generation as guests. The girls were ready to fill up Jihyo’s place and they were cute, cheerful and as lively as ever. Jongkook acted as he should. Work was still work. But as night came, and they had to sleep in the cold trailer, all he could think of was to call to check on Jihyo.

So while some of the running man members were all preparing to sleep, he sneaked a look outside and caught Yoo Jaesuk outside talking to Ji Sukjin. He crept out with the excuse that he wanted to stretch his muscles before he slept and approached the couple outside. The two men however, we just about to step in to sleep. But Jaesuk saw Jongkook’s expression and asked Sukjin to head in first while he accompanied Jongkook.

“Yah! Yah! You really like to talk don’t you!” Teased Sukjin Hyung at his dongsaeng.

“Eh… Hyung. We don’t get to talk like this during filming. Now’s the time. Want to join us?” He added jokingly, knowing that Sukjin would rather sleep instead of joining them but Jongkook gave him a death glare even for the suggestion.

Ji Sukjin ignored what Jaesuk said and bid goodnight before he headed in, not catching the exchange between his two dongsaengs.

“Call her.” Advised Jaesuk immediately, once he saw that Sukjin had safely went in.

“How? She’ll most probably is resting. But… I just want to hear her voice. Just for a while,” Jong kook said.

“Jihyo’s manager. Changjoo Shi. Call him. Or get the number from Gapjin.” Said Jaesuk. “It’s really sad to see two of my dongsaeng suffering so I’m telling you what to do.”

They both looked at each other seriously. The night was getting colder and darker. You could probably hear the crickets on a usual night but perhaps it was too cold for them to be out. It was the same with both Jaesuk and Jongkook. The cold was biting and Jongkook, finally, with a very determined look called Changjoo.

“Yoboseyo?” Said Changjoo at the end of the other line.

“Hi. Chang Joo Shi. It’s JongKook. I… I want to ask about Jihyo.”

“Ah… I was about to call you. She wants to talk to you too. Hang on… I’ll pass the phone to her.”

Jongkook eyes widened slightly hearing that Jihyo wanted to talk to him. That would mean that she was getting better. A small shy smile p;ayed on his face and Jaesuk made faces at him. Jongkook let out a short, little chuckle, as he was unable to hide his happiness. Jaesuk shook his head, smiling at the look of one of his favorite dongsaengs and moved a distance away so as to give some privacy to the lovebirds.

“Hello, Oppa? Jongkook oppa?” Said Jihyo softly.

“Oppa? What happened to Oppa jagi?He .

“Erm…. Erm….”

Jongkook’s smile grew wider knowing that Jihyo is embarrassed at being teased. He would do anything to be by her side right now and see that face which he missed so much.

“How are you feeling? Better?” Asked Jongkook, putting Jihyo out of her misery.

“Yes, I am. The doctor finally removed the ventilator this afternoon. I just need to have more bed rest.”

“That’s really good news! Of course you need more bed rest. And make sure you eat well. You’re so thin now….”

And then there was silence, but it was not at all uncomfortable. It was as if they both understood that they were there for one another without the need to speak.

“Oppa….” Jihyo said after a while. “When are you going to come again?”

“Come and see you? Miss me already, do you? Well, I’ll be there as soon as the shoot is over.”

“With a lot of food?” Questioned Jihyo happily and excitedly.

“Now I really know my love is better. I’m coming to visit her and all she wants is food.”

“hehe! Awww. Oppa! You know me. You want me to get better don’t you?”

“Araseo. Now rest up. I have another day of shoot and then I’ll come see you first thing when I’m done. I promise… Bye.”

“I see that you both are getting along well.” Jaesuk said as he observed Jongkook closely. “It’s hard, isn’t it, having a relationship?”

They both sat down side by side on a huge rock nearby, pulling their jackets closer to shield their bodies from the cold. Jongkook mulled over that question and thought over his past with Jihyo. It wasn’t the first time. In fact, it happened too many times that sometimes he too felt like giving up.

“You’re the commander, Jong kook ah. Almost all the male guest in running man wants to go against you because you are tough… You are strong. The ace and commander…. People are already supporting you. Maybe it’s time, to let the public know?”

“Maybe…” Jongkook said carefully. “I have to get both our parents blessings. Maybe that’s why our relationship has been rocky so far. And then Gary, I just can’t see him hoping for something to happen.”

“Gary, you can talk… He is after all, your friend. And I’m glad you’re thinking ahead. Parents’ blessing can be a really powerful thing.”

“Once our parents are set, I think we can tell our fans. I think that’s fair enough.”

“I think so too. You have my support, Jong kook ah. Always remember that.”

And with that, the both of them headed to sleep, waiting for the sun to rise and for another day of shoot. Jongkook was excited the whole day of shoot knowing that he was going to see Jihyo again. He has many thoughts and was ready with so many remarks to tease Jihyo with. And when the PD shouted that they were done for the day, Jongkook quickly took of his microphone, bid farewell to the girls from Girls’ generation and his running man members. He was too excited that it made him look quite suspicious.

“Ooooh. Jong Kook Oppa! You look like you’re excited to go away! Must be someone special!” one of the girls said.

“Hyung! Don’t tell me you set a gym appointment and you’re late. These girls are available to be your date! Hehehe. Joking!!!!” Haha said to a general round of laughter from the whole gang.

But Kim Jong kook who had Jihyo waiting for him, could not be bothered with any teasing. He waved goodbye and bought some kimchi kimbab that Jihyo loved and went straight to the hospital. Even he could not believe the smile plastered on his face. He tried to hide it away but it kept coming back. Changjoo was already waiting for Jong kook at the carpark. He walked towards Jongkook’s car with a sigh.

“Jihyo’s excited to see you Hyung.” Changjoo said with what he hoped was a bit of sincerity.

“Well, I am excited to see her. Thank you… you know, being supportive even after… even after all this…”

Changjoo shrugged. Lying was not going to get him anywhere and why should he lie to the person he lost Jihyo to? “I have to tell you this though. Jihyo has been given one of the top most secured places in the hospital. No reporters are allowed in her room or around that section of ward. The news is out and with her drama shoot going on hold, she’s getting a lot of publicity. She’s stressed about her own schedule. I don’t blame her. The director understands her situation but he also has work to do. Help me convince her to rest, take a break.”

“You mean… After all this, she still wants to get back to work immediately?” Jongkook was shocked. They were walking, approaching her ward.

“Well, she can get stubborn at times.”

“At times? You mean all the time! Come on. Let’s be real… This is Song Jihyo we’re talking about.” And the two men laughed as they entered Jihyo’s room.

Jihyo, propped on her bed, and was channel surfing suddenly sat straight up seeing both Jong kook and Changjoo entering her room. Changjoo laughed before patting on Jongkook’s back and walked out, closing the door on the way. Now it was only the two of them. Jong kook sat at the chair by Jihyo’s bed, to her disappointment. He placed the bag of kimchi kimbab on the table nearby.

He finally took a full look of Jihyo’s room. It was definitely roomy and big. It had a light brown couch and a medium sized living room table. There were a couple of flowerpots on it, and on closer inspection, he noticed that it was from Jihyo’s family. Opposite the couch was a flatscreen television and a small fridge nearby it. If it wasn’t for Jihyo’s hospital bed, he would have thought that the place looked like a small hotel room.

Jihyo looked at Jongkook as he observed the room. She reached out for his hand, wishing to touch a bit of him. Jong kook’s attention was now on her and he gave her a small satisfying smile.

“How was the shoot? I didn’t cause much trouble, did I?” Jihyo asked.

“Well, the PDs had to find last minute replacement. And almost all the members were here the day before shoot. They were not able to see you so they mentioned that they left messages. The guest, however….”

“It must have cost them so much time and energy to get last minute replacements… But who? Who are the guests?”

“Well, you have to wait till broadcast. Here, you wanted some food, right?” And Jong kook busied himself preparing the food for her.

She smiled at him and again watched him prepared the food. However, something was bugging her. Jong kook was being a tad serious than he would usually be. She sat up straighter and picked up her chopsticks as Jong kook pushed the plate towards her, still smiling. Jihyo picked one up and ate it, looking so full but she was smiling wide. She took another piece up while chewing.

“Ya! Ya! Slow down! You’ll choke at that rate!”

Jihyo however waved her kimbab and offered it to Jongkook who looked at her, puzzled.

“No, you get your strength back. Eat.” And he took the kimbab with his hands and stuffed it in Jihyo’s mouth. was very full and she tilted her head, still gazing at Jongkook. Once she swallowed her food, she decided to ask what seemed to be bothering her.

“Oppa, what’s wrong? Are you not happy to see me? Why are you so serious?”

Jong kook was a bit flustered as the question was thrown towards him. He was definitely happy to see Jihyo. He was excited even. But he also felt that after the long period of them not contacting each other, and only seeing her when she was seriously ill, made him think twice of his value. He contemplated his answer.

“Well, we haven’t talked to each other since you slept with me. And then, you disappeared from my life. You avoided me.” He let his hand run through his hair, messing it a bit. “Then the next thing I know, you’re sick, very sick and unconscious…. I didn’t know if I would be able to talk to again… ever.”

Jihyo grabbed Jong kook’s hand and interlaced her fingers with his. She held it tight, giving it pressure as she now also recalled all that had happened before this.

“So, I just don’t know if I mean the world to you as you do to me. You threw me aside…”

JIhyo leaned in for a kiss. What should have been a short quick kiss became deeper. Jihyo wanted him to know how much she loved him. And when she was out of breath, she pulled away and looked into his eyes.

“I thought it will be enough if you were happy. I was only causing trouble. Hmph! I always seem to attract trouble. But… I never stop loving you. You were all I see. I keep myself updated about you, about your schedule. I’m sorry.”

“I know you are. Please… Please don’t start crying. You’re still weak and I really like to see you smiling.”

Jihyo shifted in her bed, moving more to her left. “If you want to see me smiling more….” Jihyo patted the side of the bed, which is now empty. When Jong kook hesitated, she pulled him to sit beside her.

“Jihyo ah… What if people sees us? I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

Just after Jong kook said that, Jihyo sulked and laid down on the bed, facing away from him. She even left her food unfinished. Jong kook called for her but she ignored him.

“Aigoo, we just started talking and my princess is angry with me. Jihyo yah… I just don’t want people to see and then we have to work out the stress of the publicity. You’re still not well.” Jihyo’s was still ignoring him.

Jong kook knew what he had to do. Try as he might, he too couldn’t stop himself from doing it. He hugged her back, lying down beside her and smelled her hair before planting the kiss at the top of her head. He had wanted to that for a long time. There were nights when all he could do is dream that she was beside him once more and he was just holding her, protecting her, comforting her. Slowly, Jihyo turned to face him, with a big smile.

“I trust Changjoo Oppa to protect us. I talked to him about our feelings, about what had happened and what will happen. I trust him…” Jihyo said, looking determinedly at Jong kook’s eyes. “And so I want to do this with you. I miss you….” She kissed him.

“I missed your muscles…” and she ran her hands up and down his arms.

“And I miss….”

“Omo! Unnie!!! Yah! This is a hospital.” A voice suddenly broke their moment and caused Jong kook to stand up and Jihyo to stiffen in her bed.

But when they realized that it was just Jihye making fun of them, Jihyo was sprouting curses out of . Jong kook was awkwardly standing there, knowing that he had portrayed a really bad impression of himself. He was going to give some excuse to her when Jihye said…

“Lucky I was here. Mum and dad’s on their way up but they stopped by the cafeteria, said you might want some chocolates. Unnie, you’re going to get so fat!”

“Yah! Yah! Yah! GO HOME!!!”

“Jong kook oppa… what’s wrong with you? Or what is it that my sister did to make you fall in love with…” Jihye gave her sister a look from up to down. “her….”

Jihyo was about to get up but Jong kook stopped her, laughing. “HAHAHAH! She did make me fall in love with her. By being so blur…. So confused… by not caring about her looks…. By cursing everywhere, even though people are still looking.”

“Yah! I don’t like you that much now! Go away. I’d rather have….”

“Who Changjoo shi? We all know you don’t like him. Jihyo yah. Just admit it… you love me.”

“I’d rather have GARY OPPA! HMPH!” And once again she sulked and faced the wall away from the two who are laughing so heartily at her.

“Eyyy. Jong Kook oppa! I like you! We can team up and together. I’m going to see where Omma and Appa is. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do! It’s a hospital, for goodness sake. Have some self control! See you!” Jihye walked out.

Jongkook was still smiling as he sat down at the empty side of her bed. He took her hand and made her to face him.

“I should go. Your parents will be here soon. I’ll see you tomorrow ok? Rest well sweet heart.” He leaned in to kiss her but she pushed herself away.

“No. Stay please. We barely have anytime together. Appa and Omma knows about us. They would want to talk to you.”

“Not today… Not today. I’m not prepared, I’ll give a bad impression. Next time okay. I’ve made my mind too. We need their blessings for our relationship to work. So we’ll fix a date, but not today…”

“Why not?” Jihyo’s dad stood by the door, directing the question to Jong Kook

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have nothing to say but to apologize. (T.T)
I know I wrote that I would update but my boss just gave me a project to spearhead and I'm drowning. *HELP!* 

But I'm really happy that you guys are asking for more!!!!

So here's a chapter. Enjoy.