Out of Grasp

Trapped in Today

Dammit. Jongin’s lungs were burning up and his legs were on the brink of snapping in two. He saw the silhouette of the bridge outlined against the darkening sky, not more than a few meters away. Just a little more. Hang in there Kyungsoo. Jongin gave it his all as he sprinted the last stretch towards the bridge.

A series of shrieks rang through the air just as his converse touched the concrete at the entrance of the bridge. He didn’t have to check his watch to know it was 8:06. Too late. Jongin felt the hot sting of tears threatening to roll down his cheeks, but he forced them away. It’s not fair. How can I ever fix this if you just keep on dying? He felt the crowd surging around him and their voices blurred into the roaring of the river below. He hated himself for letting Kyungsoo go. He hated Kyungsoo for jumping. And most of all, he hated the world for making fate so damn cruel.

Somehow his stumbling feet managed to take him home that night. He collapsed on the couch, barely making it through the front door.

 

 

Jongin woke up with the heart-shaped smile haunting his memories. Today was the day. If he didn’t stop Kyungsoo, the brunette boy would die for the sixth time. That was six times too many. 

“Hello there, miss.” Jongin winked flirtily at the young receptionist, who muffled a giggle and blushed profusely. He was at the school again, trying to impress the woman in front of him into giving him the information he needed. “See, my friend Kyungsoo seems to have moved and I can’t find his new address.” He found it convenient that he could lie about his identity, since she couldn’t remember that he was Kyungsoo’s “cousin” from the day before. 

“Oh, um I can’t give that information out, I’m sorry.” She genuinely looked sorry, and the raven-haired boy felt a little bad for trying to use her. But he remembered he had to save Kyungsoo, and he forced himself to go on.

“I won’t tell anyone,” he whispered, leaning over the counter to graze his lips close to her ear. She turning bright red as she felt his hot breath caressing the back of her neck. “Pretty please?” Jongin held in a smirk as he watched the girl in front of him dissolve into a puddle. She quickly scribbled something onto a post-it and pushed it across the reception desk. “Thanks.” The tall boy threw out another smile as he took the paper. Now all he had to do was find Kyungsoo.

When Jongin got to the run-down apartment building, he immediately noticed the broken beer bottles and cigarettes scattered outside. Kyungsoo’s apartment was upstairs. He climbed the creaky stairs and took note of the fact that it smelled faintly of urine. He was surveying the cracked paint on the doors, trying to figure out which one belonged to the older boy, when he heard a deafening crash followed by a sharp cry. A door down the hall from him opened and a bare-footed woman ran out crying, blood streaming from a cut near her temple. “Die you !” A man’s voice from inside screamed. His speech was slurred and Jongin guessed he’d probably had a lot to drink. “Take this piece of with you too!” A boy was shoved out and the door slammed behind him with so much force it shook the entire building. The woman took a worried glance at the boy before scurrying off, perhaps deciding he wasn’t worth the effort.

Jongin took a closer look at the crumpled heap of bruised limbs in front of him. Even through the blood and tears running down his face, he looked just like the photo. His boyish features made him look much younger, but his large eyes and bowed lips were unmistakable.

“Kyungsoo? I’ve been looking for you.” He knelt down beside the crying boy. He could make out many old bruises and scars on the boy’s arms and face, and there was a fresh laceration just past his hairline. The crimson blood was caking in his beautiful brunette locks.

“W-who are you? Do I...do I know you?” Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin like puppy, kicked out and left alone in the rain. The younger felt a pang of guilt for not coming to save the poor thing sooner. “Please, just leave me alone.”

“I’m Kim Jongin. I’m-” He didn’t know what to tell the boy. Hi, I’m Jongin. Don’t kill yourself. “I’m here to help you.”

“H-help me?” Kyungsoo looked up with fear in his eyes. “Who sent you? What do you want from me?” His delicate sobs filled the air.

“Please just listen to me.” Jongin let a hand rest lightly on the older boy’s shoulder, who cringed at his touch.

“Go away, I don’t want any t-trouble. Please.” His eyes darted from Jongin’s face to the stairs. “Leave me alone.” He pleaded, getting up and dashing for the stairs. The younger boy watched helplessly as he tripped, sending the small boy tumbling down.

“KYUNGSOO!” His long legs moved on their own, rushing towards the crying pile of twisted limbs. “Oh God, are you okay?” The shorter boy’s eyes grew wide and he got up, his right leg limping slightly. He gave Jongin a frightened look and ran into an alley behind the complex. “Wait, stop!” Jongin dashed after him.

Dammit where did he go? The alleyway was too dark for him to see anything. Why didn’t Kyungsoo trust him? Would he have to go through this every day? No. I’m stopping this today. That boy will not die. He had a better chance to go to the bridge and intercept the boy there. This place was pretty far from the bridge and he had no idea if Kyungsoo had already reached the place while he had been blindly searching for him in the alley. Jongin found himself running through the crowded streets of Seoul once again. He paused for a breath and to check his watch. 7:57. He could make it. Jongin put the last of his effort into reaching the bridge. When he arrived, his breath was ragged and he felt a jabbing in his side. He mustered the energy to raise his arm to look at his watch which now read 8:04. Where was Kyungsoo? Jongin scanned the bridge. Between the countless number of people and the velvet black sky that was settling in, it was hard to see anything. Just as he was ready to give up, Jongin spotted a small figure climbing over the railing.

“Kyungsoo! Stop!” The silhouette halted. The younger boy took the opportunity to dash across the bridge to the elder. They were now standing face to face, and for the first time, Jongin had a clear view of the other’s face.

“How did you know I was here?” The soft voice replied. Light from the street lamps glittered off his cheeks. There was a gentle glow surrounding the boy, which Jongin found surprisingly beautiful.

“Please, please don’t do this. Your life is meaningful!” He was shocked to see how calm the other boy was, considering he had one leg dangling over side of a bridge.

“To who? Nobody cares about me. At school I’m a loser and when I get home I’m greeted by an abusive father.” Kyungsoo’s voice cracked. “It would be better if I just died.” He swung his other leg over the railing slowly. “It’s not like I matter anyway.” A crystal tear rolled down his cheek as his trembling hands released the metal bar of the railing.

“No!” Jongin screamed, lunging to grab the boy’s hand, just before it disappeared out of sight. His fingers dug into the soft flesh of the older boy’s wrist. “I won’t let you do this. I care.”

“I’m sorry.” His soft voice was barely audible over the sound of the churning river below. He didn’t struggle against the boy who was holding him back, but he didn’t grasp his hand either. Kyungsoo just hung there, wondering why the mysterious boy was trying to keep him from passing into whatever came next. Heaven, Hell, Oblivion.

“Shut up! You’re not dying today!” Tears stung the tall boy’s eyes and stained his cheeks. He wasn’t ever going to let go.

 

“I’m so sorry.” 

 

Jongin collapsed when he felt the absence of a small, warm hand in his own.

 

 


A/N: What is this I write I'm sorry .-. Look at that ty chapter title... Kyungsoo literally slipped out of his grasp. I hate myself wow.

"Jongin says no worries, writers are certified bullters; just kill someone and it’ll end up romantic" (Anterograde Tomorrow). IS IT ROMANTIC YET? No? Okay I guess Kyungsoo might have to die a few more times. By the way, Anterograde is the best ever, and if you haven't read it, I don't even know what you are doing with your life. Gogogoogogo. 

Sorry if editing is bad on this chapter, I'm rushing it out because I need to catch a plane to New York in a few hours. Yeeee vacation.

Other reason I'm updating early is a rood little named sofia415 who has been bugging me since Sunday .-. You're a and you need to go away Sofia D:< 

Okay, now that my of a friend is dealt with, it's predebut Kaisoo time~ these dorks are precious ^^

 

Thanks to everyone who subbed/ commented/ upvoted~ You guise are fantastic!