Part 2 - Before

The Daffodil Principle.

 Part 2

 

"I know you can hear me Luhan. This is not what Minseok would've wanted."

Sehun sat idly by Luhan's hospitalbed.
It had been... a week since his cousin had been brought to the hospital, unconscious and cold as ice. Sehun couldn't help but feel as if this was somehow his fault. If only he had read the signs. Been more attentive to his cousin, then maybe... Just maybe Luhan wouldn't have tried to follow Minseok.

Minseok... He was both the best and the worst that could ever have happened to Luhan.

And himself.

 

-

"How are your studies going, Luhan?"

It had been a while since his cousin had come to eat dinner with the Oh Family. The last month he had skipped Friday night dinners to... Well, Sehun had no idea what he was doing but to be honest, Sehun didn't care. To put it simply: Luhan. Was weird.
Sure the guy had lost his parents and tended to hole himself up in his student apartment mulling over book after book. But come on, the guy could at least try and cheer up.
Even when they were kids all he ever did was read, study or sit in the dark, bawling his eyes out like a baby. Sehun's mother would sometimes force his cousin into playing with Sehun and his friends but he would always just watch them with those big sad eyes.
Least to say, it freaked Sehun out.
But... For some reason, today, Luhan seemed... Different.

"Slow. Studying to become an accountant isn't exactly the most uplifting."

Huh? Sehun made big eyes at his cousin. Was the guy actually complaining about his studies? What the hell?

"Is that so? I thought you always wanted to become an accountant."

His mother seemed just as surprised as himself. Luhan was a man of few words but the ones he uttered had always been about finding a stable career like... well, an accountant. Even when they were kids. While Sehun dreamed of becoming a Jedi Knight or doing motorcycle speedway, his cousin had always been set on becoming an office worker. The guy was as dull as grey snow the joy out of Christmas.

"Of course you would think that."

And now he was talking back to Sehun's mother. Great. Wasn't he too old to suddenly throw a tantrum?

"I'm sorry, Luhan. You just never spoke of anything else."

"If I had, would you have listened?!"

"Excuse me?"

"... Nothing. Thank you for dinner."

Sehun watched his cousin take his plate, put it in the sink and leave the kitchen.

"What has gotten into that boy? Sehun honey, won't you go and talk to him? He always listens to you."

"Yeah right."

"Sehun."

Sehun let out a long sigh as he slowly pushed his chair out, making sure to make it screech as much as possible before chasing after his strange cousin.
He had only made it into the foyer, about to put on his shoes.

"Yo Coz. What's wrong with you?"

"Wrong with me?"

"You know. You're a quiet guy. So what was up with your little outburst just now?"

"It wasn't...I don't..."

The man let out a tired sigh, sliding down to the ground.

"Can I tell you something? Without you laughing at me or... judging me? Thinking me strange like you always do?"

"Erh... Sure. Why not?"

Discreetly crossing his fingers, Sehun sat down next to Luhan but with a good large space between them.

"Okay... For... For the last few weeks I have... Well, to put it simply, I've met someone."

Mind. Blown.

Sehun couldn't believe it. His cousin had actually initiated contact with another human being? Unforced? No way. What kind of deranged woman would ever lay eyes on his cousin?

"Oh. Y-you? Sure you didn't just... run off to Dreamland or made a new imaginary friend?"

"Is it that weird for me to have a friend?"

"No~... Yes. Yes it's weird."

Luhan scoffed. But could he really blame Sehun for being shocked? His cousin didn't have friends. That was how it had always been. He was the oddball in the corner with his nose stuck in a book.

"Anyway. Where did you meet? Did you finally open your eye to the wonder that is female classmates?"

"Noeh... It's one of the librarians at the local library."  

"Of course it is. She hot?"

"It's a guy."

"What?"

"It's a guy friend."

"... A guy friend or a ... "guy friend"?"

Luhan shot him an unimpressed look before getting up from the floor. Well, it was just a question. Geez.

"Yeah I'm leaving. Thanks for listening. Coz."

"No problem. Just don't let it become a habit."

"Believe me, I won't."

-

And that had been the longest conversation between the two in 15 years. How sad is that?

Sehun had been forced by the hospital staff to go home but how could he? What if Luhan woke up? What if someone messed with  his IV drip? What if... he gave up?
What if Sehun broke his promise to Minseok?

Sehun wasn't a religious person and yet he found himself kneeling down in front of his bed, praying for only Minseok to hear.

'Bring him back, hyung. Please. Bring him back.'

-

Sehun wasn't the kind of person to worry about other people. There was only one to look out for and that was 'numero uno'. Himself. But when he hadn't heard from his cousin yet another month, Sehun started to think that maybe... Just maybe it was time to see what the guy was up to.
Showing up at his apartment would seem... too caring wouldn't it? And calling was also out of the question. Maybe texting? Not caring enough. Geez this was hard. If only Luhan would just call everything would be so much easier.
Oh wait. What if he "coincidentally" bumped into him? Except... Luhan never left his place apart from going to class or the library.

'THE LIBRARY!'

That was it! Sehun could make an excuses about needing a book for some lame paper the school made him write. Yeah. Foolproof!


"Are you looking for anything in particular?"

Sehun was scared half to death when a midget decided to sneak up on him.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you it's just... You've been in here for almost two hours now without opening a single book so... I thought you might need some help?"

"I erh... Just like the smell."

Sehun let his hands run across a book section while taking a good sniff.

"Mm...M-Musty."

"... Okay?"

The librarian shot him an awkward smile and an even more awkward laugh before slowly turning his back to leave.

"Excuse me though!"

The seemingly baffled librarian turned around in slow-motion pointing a puzzled finger towards himself. It was kind of... Cute. Well almost. Because Sehun, he was cuter.

"Me?"

"Yes. I was wondering if you've noticed a strange guy in his early twenties, kind of a loner, probably reading... Whatever one reads to become an accountant?"

"Why do you ask?"

"No reason. Just curious. But have you?"

"Who's asking?"

"You know what? I'm kidding. I'm a... Kidder, yes I am looking for a book."

The librarian who Sehun could only assume was a small boy still waiting for his preteen growth spurt, smiled brighter than the sun as he motioned for Sehun to follow him to a desk. Both taking a seat the librarian pushed a small bowl of sweets towards Sehun who immediately dove into the candies.

"Which book do you need?"

"Erh... I am writing a paper?"

"... A paper on what?"

"...Erh."

Sehun was at a loss for words. He had come up with the idea of having to write an assignment but  not on what. Silently cursing at himself, Sehun said the first thing his eyes landed upon.

"I'm writing about... Erh... Books."

"Books?"

"Yes. And... How libraries are becoming obsolete now that we have E-books and hundreds of sitcoms and... Stuff like that."

"... You're Sehun, aren't you?"

Abort abort! How the hell did this kid know Sehun's name?! Wait...

"... You're the male librarian?"

"Well, I am male and a librarian but I don't know if I am the librarian you're thinking off."

It was starting to get awkward with the silence that followed. Sehun really wanted to just make a run for it but he was too intrigued to leave yet. This cutie patootie was the "guy friend" his cousin had tried telling him about?

"You're the someone who volunteered to be Luhan's friend?'

Was he blushing? What a dork.

"I reckon I am. And you're his younger cousin Sehun."

"How did you know?"

"He talks about you. Also, Luhan doesn't really have friends does he?"

"Naah, the guy's a freak. Which brings up my next question: Why are you friends again?"

The chipmunk's cheeks were burning scarlet now. Did the guy have a fever or something? Unconsciously, Sehun moved his chair a bit further away.

"Why? It just sort of happened I guess. But don't get me wrong! He is sort of strange but that's what I initially liked about him. I mean... He is a good guy?"

"I wouldn't know. He doesn't have much of a personality if you ask me?"

"He does! Luhan's actually quite deep and... rather... Messed up."

"At least you got that last one right."

The boy scoffed.

"No wonder Luhan turned out as he did. Growing up with a brat like you, I'd lose my marbles as well."

Now it was Sehun's turn to scoff.

"Oh yeah? Well I..."

"Luhan told me you didn't talk much. I beg to differ. Or is it just him you're uncomfortable around?"

"I'm not uncom..."

"Then why are you looking for him here and not at his home?"

Sehun ran a hand through his hair. It was true he felt slightly uncomfortable around his cousin, mostly because he knew about his parents and... Sehun didn't know how to comfort him. Not that he had ever wanted to but... he just had no idea how to talk to Luhan when all he saw was that broken boy all those years ago.

"It's complicated."

The librarian gave him a serious look.

"I see. Well, he's here now if you want to try and make it "uncomplicated"."

Sehun quickly turned his head around. When he spotted his cousin half running into the library, the first thing Sehun did was to dive under the table while whispering very loudly: 'I'm not here!'

"I'll take that as a no then. I'm confused though. You're here looking for Luhan but now that he is here you're hiding from him and can I add, between a stranger's legs?"

"Just get me out of here Smart mouth!"

The guy let out a long sigh before grabbing Sehun's hand. It was soft. Together the two snuck out the back before his cousin had the chance to notice.
Outside, the librarian let go of Sehun before waving his goodbyes.

Sehun closed his eyes as he let his back hit the wall. So that chipmunk boy was his cousin's new friend? Sadly enough, Sehun could see the appeal.

"Good you're still here!"

For the second time that day, Sehun almost died. Jumping up, Sehun managed to trip over his own feet before falling face first into the grass. Luckily.

"Wow. You sure scare easily don't you?"

"Mhpmksjfjlkjgsf."

"Come again?"

Sehun sighed before turning on his back.

"I said: I've known you for less than 5 minutes and I already hate you."

A bright laughter escaped the boy before he mercilessly dumped a book onto Sehun's stomach.

"Well I'm known to have made worse first impressions so it's fine. Anyway, that is a book of poetry I like, please return it within 30 days. Also inside it  you will find my phone number if you ever want an update about Luhan unless of course you want to confront him yourself which I think would be much more healthy for both parts  but that is solely my opinion.'

"...Poetry?"

"It was nice meeting you Sehun."

"Yah!... Library boy!"

"It's Minseok. See you. Sehun-ah."

Sehun could no longer see the appeal, and yet as soon as he got home, he coded Minseok's number into his phone as 'Chipmunk Smarty Mouth with a Side of Sass.' 

-

The following day, Sehun was again by Luhan's side. He had school to think of but the only thing on his mind was to be there for his cousin. To watch over him while Luhan hopefully found his way back to earth.

But it was strange.
Sehun wanted to grieve as well. But he couldn't because of Luhan.
And Luhan had in all honesty been the cause of a most confusing misery...
 

-

"So you didn't read it?"

A week passed before Sehun manned up to call Minseok. He must have started 20 different texts but never sent a single one.
For some reason his heart had beat like crazy pressing down the call button which was strange because Sehun wasn't one to get nervous. At least Minseok seemed happy that he called. At least that's what Sehun liked to think.

"I swear, I tried. But two stanzas in about love and crap and I was ready to shoot myself in the face. Which is quite the feat because, my face, is amazing."

There was laughter on the other end. It made Sehun smile which was a rarity.  

"I'm serious. Shakespeare? What. A douche."

"You don't read much do you?"

"Me? Not if I can help it. I tend to prefer facts and yes I actually do believe that libraries will become obsolete in the near future, so you probably wanna jump ship now before it's too late."

"Never. If it comes down to it, I will go down with this ship."

"I see it now, as clear as daylight, my cousin isn't the strange one. You are."

"We're all mad here."

"... Please don't tell me you just quoted a book I couldn't care less about."

"You're boring."

"No. I'm just not caught up in some fairytale world like you are."

"And what a pity."

Sehun was almost taken aback by how easy it was talking to Minseok, a guy he hardly knew but wanted to know better.

"Luhan's doing good by the way."

"Huh?"

"That is why you called right? To know about your cousin?"

Oh right. Yeah. It was... Wasn't it?

"... Yeah. Of course. That's erh... That's obviously why I called. So he's good that's... good. He hasn't been to our house lately... You're not purposely keeping him away from the Oh household are you?"

"Now you're the one crazy. Oh, speak of the devil. Gotta run. It was nice talking to you Sehun. Bye."

"B-B..."

Minseok hung up before Sehun had the chance to reply. Whatever. His cousin was clearly more important. Sehun didn't care.
Or maybe just a little. For the first time ever, someone actually chose Luhan over himself. What was the world coming too?

-

From then on, Sehun started texting Minseok more often. Called more often. Visited the library more often obviously when Luhan had class. Soon they became closer and even good friends.

But there always was a downside to their friendship.
Luhan.

Sehun didn't want Luhan to know that he was close with Minseok.
In fact. Looking back. Sehun wanted Minseok for himself.

-

"Hyung!"

Sehun came running into the library although not before making sure the coast was clear and that Minseok was alone.

"Sehun-ah? Don't you have class?"

"Free period. So I thought I'd come down here and annoy you for a bit. Please don't thank me just glad to be here."

"Oh yay. Just what I needed. Babysitting. Here."

A pile of books were into Sehun's arms. They'd done this before. Minseok would make Sehun help put back returned books to their original place and Sehun would no longer whine about it.

"You know. You only visit me when you know Luhan isn't around. You're still not talking?"

"We have nothing in common? What is there to talk about?"

"Luhan wants to be closer with you. He just haven't got a clue how to make it happen because he's afraid you'll reject him."

"I... probably would."

"Sehun."

"Mhm. Why is it I'm here to annoy you but you always end up annoying the hell out of me instead?"

"Because you're being a brat. And I'm awesome."

"Not to mention, a big fat liar?"

Minseok motioned for Sehun to lean down. Unknowing, Sehun complied and let Minseok tousle his hair. Sehun was almost a head taller than his hyung, nevertheless, Sehun respected him wholeheartedly as an older brother and friend.

"You're adorable."

"Look who's talking, hyung."

"Luhan is a great guy once you get to know him. At least try."

Sehun's smile faltered. Why was everything always about Luhan?

"Hyung."

Sehun put down the stack of books on a nearby table.

 "I'm your friend too right?"

"Of course you are."

"Then... Can we not always talk about Luhan? Like... I like bubble tea and... Cars. I'm actually pretty good at drawing if I have to say so myself. And... I want to get to know you better. I mean, We talk but... never really of anything substantial. We have fun, make jokes but we never really share anything about ourselves. I want to know you hyung. I want to know who Kim Minseok really is."

Sehun felt awkward  as if he had just confessed to a love interest.

"You're right. I'm sorry Sehun-ah. I want to get to know you too."

"Great! Then I vote we play 20 questions! I'll start... Favourite colour?"

Sehun went back to returning books while Minseok trailed after him.

"Hmm..."

"Hurry!"

"Blue!"

"Tea or coffee?"

"Come on. It's coffee."

"First love?"

"Luhan."

"..."

"I mean... "

Sehun stopped mid-motion, turning all his attention towards his shrinking hyung.

"You're in love with Luhan?"

"It's just a crush... It's not like I'm going to do anything about it. He's a friend. It'll pass."

"Y-Yeah..."

It'll pass...

Sehun put back the books in silence before making an excuse to leave.
Why did it bother him that Minseok harboured a crush on his cousin... And not on him?   

-

Cautiously Sehun opened the door to now only Luhan's home. Slowly he made his way about the living room before sitting down in the couch. It had always irked him that Minseok didn't own a TV because books were 'a lot more fun' as he so nicely had put it. He could sure do with something to distract him by now.
Sighing Sehun lay down, trying not to think about rosy cheeks and sunshine smiles.

-

"So why are you moving again?"

Luhan had called out of nowhere, asking Sehun to help him pack.  

"I hate it here."

"... Right. And... Why didn't you ask your little friend to help you move instead?"

"He's at work."

"You really need more friends."

"But... Isn't this what family is for?"

Embarrassed, Sehun grabbed a random item and stuffed it into a nearby box. 

"... So where are you going?"

"... I'm moving in with Minseok. We... we're together now."

"To... you're boyfriend and... boyfriend?"

"Judge if you want to, I don't care. I'm happy. He's happy. Everyone's happy."

I'm not happy...

"Hey, if you wanna bump uglies with another dude, be my guest. That's your choice. See if I care. Which I don't. At all. In the slightest."

"Thanks. Sehun. I really like him."

"Mhm."

They managed to box Luhan's life in record time.
Mostly, courtesy of Sehun.

-

When Sehun woke up it wasn't on the couch. At some point during the night he must have managed to slip into Luhan and Minseok's bed. It was quite a deal more comfortable but that was not all it was.
Sehun felt like an intruder in someone else's wedding bed. He felt disgusted with himself for hugging the old bedding, imagining it to be Minseok.
But Sehun couldn't control himself.
He never could when it involved Minseok.

-

'Sehun... I need your help.'

Sehun found himself running to the library as fast as he could, defying school and oncoming traffic. Minseok had called him out of nowhere asking for his help. Why hadn't he asked Luhan? Also... Lately his voice which was normally too high-pitched for his own good had started to sound dull and lifeless.  

"Hyung!"

Out of breath, Sehun came to a stop in front of a surprised looking Minseok.

"Sehun? You didn't have to... You... Thank you, Sehun-ah."

"Well what is it?!"

The man stood chewing his lip as if deciding whether to tell or not.

"It's nothing..."

"Nothing? You asked me to help you with nothing?"

Sehun shook his head while exhaling loudly.

"Well I'm leaving."

As Sehun turned to leave, skinny arms found way around his waist. Taken aback, Sehun stood grounded, too shocked to move.

"Minseok..."

"I have a doctor's appointment... I don't want to go alone. I can't ask Luhan to come. He worries about me already. Please come with me? I can't... I need you. Sehun-ah..."

-

Days passed with Sehun idling through school, visiting Luhan until late evening and sleeping in Minseok and Luhan's home. He didn't want to go home for two reasons. One, his mother continued to cry herself to sleep at the prospect of losing her sister's son. And two, it made Sehun feel closer to Minseok. And every night before falling asleep, Sehun would talk to Minseok, tell him about his day. Asking him how his search went or if he had tried looking in limbo. Sehun would encourage him not to give up, to keep looking.  

"You'll find him. Won't you hyung? Your Sehun-ah believes in you. Your know that right? Hwaiting."

It kept getting increasingly difficult to stay hopeful. No matter. Sehun kept doing his best to stay positive about Luhan's recovery because as much as it pained him, it was nothing near as painful as previous events.

It had been hard hearing that Luhan and Minseok were in love. Just not as hard as...
Sehun let out a defeated sigh, remembering back to the day that changed everything.

-

"Of course I didn't read it. Is it fiction? Yes? Then no. I will not read it. So stop pushing books at me!"

Sehun was helping Minseok putting books back again. Minseok wasn't feeling so well so Sehun had ordered that he take a rest.

"Never! One day you will read it and you will read it on your own accord. Just wait and see."

"Keep dreaming, Chipmunk."

"Yah! You..."

Sehun made it just in time to dodge a book courtesy of his hyung when Minseok's phone rang.

"Hello? Yes this is Kim Minseok...Oh. Oh? Yes. I'll come right in..."

The expression on Minseok's face told Sehun that this was no time to play, so instead of returning the favour, Sehun was quickly at Minseok's side.

"You okay? Who was it hyung?"

"My... Results are in."

"And?"

"And... they wouldn't tell me over the phone. I have to go to the hospital... Will you..."

"Of course I'll come. Let's go."

"Thank you..."

Sehun ignored the lump in his throat and instead went to find one of Minseok's co-workers to inform them that his hyung had to leave early.

 

"Mr. Kim. I'm afraid I have bad news..."

Minseok held Sehun's hand while the doctor proceeded to try and articulate a nicer way of telling his hyung that he was dying. Sehun clenched his teeth harder and harder as Minseok's grip tightened for every word.

"Stop talking."

"E-excuse me?" 

Sehun couldn't help himself. His hyung was hurting. How could the doctor go on and on and not allow him one moment to absorb these news?

"You just told someone they have cancer and that it is at a stage where medicine and chemo won't affect the outcome. So please. Give us a moment alone before I smash your brains in."

"Sehun.... It's okay."

"No... Your friend is right. I'm very sorry. I'll give you two some time to talk."

The doctor bowed his head before leaving the small office.
Even if it was Sehun who had requested it, he couldn't help but feel awkward. Sehun wasn't a great comforter, in fact he had never comforted anyone before. He simply didn't know what to do when people were in tears but this was no mere person. This was his hyung, Minseok. So Sehun took a deep breath, ready to hold Minseok and let him cry on his shoulder... Except. There were no tears. Minseok didn't look sad only empty.

Maybe it wasn't his hyung that needed the moment.
Maybe... Maybe it was Sehun.    

 

 

A/N 
Part 1 of part 2 (if that makes sense) is now up and I hope you look forward to part 2... of part 2 xD 

Staaahp Xiuhun! 
Let it be known I think these two are too adorkable for words! (Sorry Xiuhan... I still ship you so calm yo ) 

 

Thanks for reading ^^