Chapter two

Remembering and Making Memories

“Come in Jiwon. This will be your home too, for the time being.” Leeteuk said opening his apartment door for me. We were on the third floor. I thought Larry said he has a house, but oh well, I’m not complaining. I sigh as I put down my bags in my room, it wasn’t exactly clean. “Sorry about the mess. This is my spare room, luckily I have it. I didn’t really have time to clean it.” I heard Leeteuk say behind me. I turn to him, “Oh it’s alright. I can clean it up myself. Thanks for letting me stay.” I said. “You’re welcome. Do yo-” He was interrupted by his phone, one look from it and he excused himself to answer it. I nod and decided to clean up a bit. I went out from my room to find a broom.

“Oh there it is.” I said picking up the broom which was near the kitchen.

“Was there anything else? No? Okay, I’ll be there, in, let’s say, two days?” Leeteuk was talking with someone on the phone. “I can’t go there tomorrow. I need to settle that girl who’s living with me, remember? I’ll talk to yo- what?” His tone change and I strain my ears to listen. “Okay. I’ll go meet him then. Where? I’ll go there now.” His tone was serious. I stop eavesdropping and went back to my room, pretending I was cleaning all along. “Er, Jiwon? I need to go now. I’ll be back tonight, so have dinner without me. There’s a bank across this building and you can get your money from there. And em, don’t wait for me too.” He said and left.

I finished cleaning and arranging my things after two hours. I sat down on the couch, exhausted. I look around, scanning my home for the time being. It was simple, and I like it. It was similar to our apartment in America too. My phone rang and I answered it. “Yebuseyo?” I said lazily. “Jade! It’s me Larry. Doing alright?” I smiled. “Yes Larry, I’m fine. I’ll be registering to my new school tomorrow.” I told him. I heard some talking behind him and then he said, “Okay. Just ask them to bring the files to me. Hey Jade? Glad you’re doing fine, I need to go now. Bye.” He hung up. I was glad he called me despite that he’s busy.

I look at the clock, 7pm. Time for dinner I thought. I looked at the fridge, nothing that I like. I sigh and went to change my clothes. It looks like I’m eating outside today. I grab my purple sling bag and went out, not forgetting to lock the door. It was breezy outside, so I let my long hair blow in the breeze. I missed Korea. I smiled as I reached a familiar restaurant. This was where my friends and I used to eat all the time. I went in and took our usual seat, the far corner. My friends, how I miss them so much. Just then, a group of teenagers entered, they were laughing and joking so much that they caught my attention. I looked at them, scanning them. Oh, just the typical girls hanging out. My eyes stop on a beautiful girl. With long brown-ish wavy hair, big eyes and an amazing smile, she really stood out. But that wasn’t why she caught my attention, what caught my attention was that she is Choi Jinri, the girl I’m supposed to befriend with. I sigh, if she is this loud and like to gossip kind of girl, it will be hard to befriend her. Because I don’t like friends like that, most of them are fake, if not all of them. I ate in silence, I missed Korean foods too. Even though I don’t like the girls being loud and laughing and all, I have to admit I miss seeing people my age. It’s not like I haven’t met people my age in America, but it’s just that I never got to go out too often. Ever since my mother got sick two years ago, I was stuck in the hospital with her. Not that I mind, I love my mother to death, but I do miss being a teenager. I finished my food, and look at the girls again, I saw Jinri standing up and going to the restroom. I paid and followed her; I don’t know why, instinct I guess. She was fixing her make-up, I wasn’t wearing any, so I decided to busy myself with my hair. When I sense that she was about to finish, I thought of an idea. I purposely left my phone as I exit the restroom. I walk slowly, hoping she’d notice the phone. I hope she wasn’t a thief or something. “Gosh please be a nice girl.” I whispered in my head. “Miss!” I heard her call me. I smiled, maybe she wasn’t so bad after all.  I turn around with a confuse look, “yes?” I ask.

            “You forgot your phone.” She smiled, handing me back my phone.

            “Oh! I’m such a forgetful person. Thank you.” I said, trying to sound like a cheery person.

            “You’re welcome.” She said, smiling still.

             “Well, I better get going. Er, thanks again!” I said and quickly left. Being a happy go lucky person is not my thing. But at least if we meet again at school, she’ll recognise me and we’d have something to talk about, I hope. On my way back I went to buy some cereal and took some money out of the bank. I took a relaxing hot shower and arrange my things for tomorrow. I yawn and fell asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow.

            I heard the main door open, my ears strain to hear who it is. I heard some noises and then my door opened, I opened my eyes to see Leeteuk. “Sorry to bother you sleeping. I didn’t know you had such sharp ears. I was just checking. Well, goodnight.” He said and closed the door. I look at my clock, 2am. He is home late. I closed my eyes again and drift off to sleep.

            I woke up early the next morning and showered. I’m wearing my school uniform, which I saw lying on my bed after showering. Skirt, I sigh, I’m not a skirt girl. I grab my school bag and went in the kitchen where I saw Leeteuk eating the cereal I brought, I frown without realising it. “Yah, don’t be angry. I’ll buy you another one.” He chuckled a little and I quickly recovered. I took a bowl and ate with him, letting the silence flow. He was the one who broke it again, “Remember, when at school, we’re supposed to be close. So don’t act too formal with me and I’ll do the same.” I nod as he went on. “And, you need to be more cheery. You know, lighten up a bit. That Jinri girl looks like an outgoing person. You will have to change a few of your personalities.” A few? More like half of it. I nod anyway. He looks at his watch and stood up. “Let’s go. The school is 10 minutes away by car. We’re early by the way, but that’s a good thing.”

            We arrive at my school. It was big, and beautiful. I love it. I saw teenagers walking around joking with each other, boys doing pranks and flirting, teachers arriving in cars, it was the typical high school life, and I missed it. Wait did I just say I missed school? But I guess if you stop going to school for two years you’ll eventually miss it. I felt someone hold my shoulders, making me jump. “Easy, it’s just me. We’re close remember?” said Leeteuk chuckling a little. I shrug but let it be.

            We are now in the headmistress office. I look at the name plate; it says ‘Kwon Boa’.

            “Mrs. Kwon, nice to meet you. I’m Leeteuk and this is my niece, Kim Ji Won.” Said Leeteuk smiling. I bowed in respect and tried to smile too.

            “Welcome. I look through your records Jiwon. It seems like we don’t have any problems here. I hope it stays that way.” She said, still smiling.

            “Oh, that is great news, Jiwon has always been getting good grades, and she has no discipline problem. Right Jiwon?” he said looking at me. I nod, “Nde.” I answered. “I have to get going now, I hope you can take good care of my niece.” He said patting my head and standing up. Mrs. Kwon stood up too, bidding him goodbye and shaking his hand. Mrs. Kwon looked at me, she has a nice smile, but I can already tell she is a strict person, definitely not someone you want to mess with. “Do you want any help going around the school?” she asks me kindly. I shook my head politely, “No thank you. I think I can handle myself pretty well.” I said. I don’t want to meet someone new and get awkward again, you see, I’m not too friendly. She nods and said “Well, I’ll bring you to your classroom then.” She was going to me? Oh well.

            We arrived at my classroom, and while she talks to the teacher I waited outside. I heard my name being called and I entered. I was nervous, I’m not good with new people. I hated having to find the right friends to hang out with, I don’t like the fact that they are a lot of fake people who would backstab you any moment in high school. But still, I smiled, almost grinning actually. I slip my hair behind my ear and bowed in front of the whole class before introducing myself. Mrs. Kwon patted my shoulder before leaving me. The teacher pointed at a seat in the middle where a familiar girl was sitting beside it. Before I even seated myself Jinri already exclaim loudly, “Hey, we’ve met before!” she said cheerily. I’m so glad she remembers! My eyes widen a little bit, as if remembering. “Oh yeah! I remember!” I said, smiling wider. My mouth ache from all this fake smiling. “I’m Kim Ji Won.” I said introducing myself. “I’m Choi Jinri. But please, call me Sulli.” We were going to talk again when we were interrupted by the teacher. “Okay, you guys can talk later. But now, open your book to page 52.” The teacher said, eyeing the whole class. We smiled at each other before opening our textbook.

It was recess and I hope to talk to Jin- I mean Sulli again but she said her friends are waiting for her, she looked sorry though. I entered the huge cafeteria. I hate the cafeteria too. Everywhere was full, except for a table of seven in the middle. I wonder why no one was sitting on it. I was too hungry to care so I just sat down. The reaction was immediate, I can feel people staring at me. I stop eating and looked around, almost every eyes were on me. I was going to continue eating when three girls –which I recognise are from my class, and they are cheerleaders- approach me. I can feel things getting bad already. Without warning Yoona, who I can sense is their leader, slam her hand on the table. I click my tongue, annoyed. I maintain calm, I mean, I tried to maintain calm. “What?” I almost snap at the three girls. “This is the Got7’s table, you idiot.” Answered Yuri, who was beside Yoona, all three had their arm crossed. I scoffed, getting more annoyed. “I’m sorry.” I started sarcastically. “But I don’t see any sign here saying it’s your Got whatever’s table. Do you?” I maintain myself from calling them idiots too. “Er, it’s a common fact. Like, duh.” Said Sooyoung rolling her eyes. I bit my lip, about to say something when a few guys –which I suspect are the Got7 gang- came. “Woah, ladies, what do we have here?” I feel myself hating him from the moment he spoke. He had that playboy feel in him. I rolled my eyes and stood up, losing my appetite. When I was leaving, Sooyoung grab my arm which I pulled away immediately. “What?” I snap at her. Now I remember why I hated school too; drama, and right now, I am the centre of the attention. “Where do you think you’re going?” her voice waver a little, probably because of me making such a so called brave move on her. “I’m leaving, duh.” I said imitating her ‘duh’. “I’ve lost my appetite.” I said again and shove past them all.

I went back into the classroom because I don’t know where else to go. Before long Sulli came, looking concern. “Are you okay?” she asks sitting beside me. I was more angry than sad or something like that, but I pretended to be sad just for the heck of it. I smiled somewhat sadly, “Yeah, I’m alright.” I said. “I’m so sorry. I should’ve just brought you along or come with you. It’s just that my friends aren’t the kind to, understand things.” She clasps her hand in . She just bad mouthed her friends. “I-I don’t mean it like that..” she stammered but I smiled. “It’s okay. I understand.” I assured her. “Anyway, let’s talk about something else.” I said.

“Sure okay. Em, tell me more about yourself.” She said smiling.

“Hmm, let me see. I’m an only child. My parents are abroad so I’m living my uncle.” I said choosing my words wisely.

“Oh, I have an older brother. And er, my father is a business man.” She said, she looked uncomfortable. Her mother probably died or something so I didn’t bother to ask, it would bring hurtful memories. I focused on her brother instead.

“A brother huh? Wow, that must be fun. I get lonely sometimes without any other sibling. You must be happy, having someone to play with and take care of you.” I said, ignoring the sudden change of expression on her face.

“O-oh yeah. I guess so. But, em, oppa’s away.” I tried to look confused.

“Away?” I asks.

“Yeah, he had some job to do in the US.”

“Oh. When will he come back?” I pressed on. She looks really uncomfortable now, but then the bell rang and the teacher came in. I can see Sulli being relieved, she pretend to busy herself with the textbook. I sigh, hoping I’ll earn her trust someday.

School ended, and I was exhausted. The conversation between me and Sulli hung in the air. I walked around the school and did what people call observing. I got the hang of it after a few strolls. The halls were emptying but I was still wandering around. I took out my phone, typing a message to my so called uncle when I bump into someone. I grab my phone just inches from the floor. “Sorry.” I mumbled looking up. I almost drop my phone again when I saw who it was.

“Jiwon?” he asks, his own eyes widening. 

 

 

 A/N: So yeah, sorry, cliff hanger. I'll try to update tomorrow hehe. Sorry if there's any gramatical errors. What do you think about this chapter? Was is boring? (if it is I'm sorry). Or do you like it? You can tell me by commenting, you can also ask questions (relating the story of course). And again, i would love it if you'd give me constructive comments, subbing and maybe an upvote if you want too. Thanks for reading! I'll update soon (: