Of Tuffed Deer and Only Stars

Of Tuffed Deers and Only Stars

Only Star

 

       'Why me?' This was the thought that was running through Xiumin's head as he walked past yet another animal cage. Here he was at the zoo suffering immensely. The place was extremely crowded so Xiumin couldn't take five steps without bumping into someone.The summer sun was beaming down so harshly that Xiumin felt like he was melting. horrid smells coming from the cages didn't make matters better for him either. On a Saturday no less! 

 

And why was he putting up with this torture? The answer came in a little bundle no taller than three feet, who was immensely annoying, and hell-bent on making Xiumin's life miserable. In other words, Chen,his little brother.

 

     "Come on, Minnie, hurry up!"Chen said to him," What are you? An Ajusshi?" To this, Xiumin's only response was a very audible sigh. Minnie was a name that he hated to be called. And Chen knew it.

 

     Xiumin just couldn't wait for this little zoo trip to be over. His mother had promised to pay him well if he just "spent some quality time with his little brother,"as she put it, but he was starting to think that is was not worth it. The pair had been coming to the zoo almost everyday for two weeks and the conditions at the horrid place had only gotten worse. And today's trip had proven to be one of the hardest so far. They had literally gotten to the zoo twenty minutes ago and already Chen had succeeded in pulling a little girl's hair, throwing rocks at the animals, and kicking several people.Xiumin swore he'd never apologized so much in his life! They were going to leave, soon, while he still had some pride left.

 

"Chen, we are leaving in ten minutes, so if there is some place you really want to go, go now," Xiumin said to his younger brother. "Awwww, already, Minnie?"Chen whined,"Well, I really wanted to go the the gift shop." Xiumin sighed yet again,  feeling his already depleted wallet's life being away even more.

 

He was right, Chen had spent twenty dollars on animal plushies and coloring books. "I might as well buy myself something before this little imp drains my wallet altogether," Xiumin said to himself. Looking around the small gift shop, he saw nothing of significant interest.

 

As he continued to look around, he abruptly stopped in his tracks when a sudden bark reached his ears. Attributing the noise to hallucinations he was suffering from as a result of the ferocious heat, he ignored it. Then, the bark sounded again. It was loud and had an anxious tone to it. 'Wait, dogs aren't allowed here,'Xiumin thought to himself. Glancing around the shop, no one had reacted to the bark. "That's odd," he said out loud. Then the barking started up again, growing louder and more antsy. Again, no one reacted. When Xiumin asked people around him if they too had heard the barking. To this, they all replied no and most gave him confused faces. Deciding to get to the bottom of the mysterious barking that apparently only he could hear, he began to follow the barking. The sound lead him to the corner of the shop were key chains were being sold on tiny orange shelves. The barking stopped. Gazing down at the key chains, Xiumin noticed that one looked very peculiar. It showed the picture of an animal that looked like a brown-furred deer. The difference however was that it had a patch of fur on it's head and fangs coming from the sides if it's mouth.

 

Turning over the key chain he saw a description of the animal:

Name:Tuffed Deer (Elaphodus cephalophus)

Habitat:China(south from eastern coast to eastern Tibet)

Diet:Most vegetation

 

"Hm, interesting," he said to himself. "Hey," a small voice said to Xiumin. Glancing around, he saw no one. "Hey, I'm down here. The key chain," the voice said in a manner that was more questioning than factual. Looking down he saw the key chain start to glow in a pearl-white light. "Wh-what?!?" Xiumin said and almost dropped the key chain. "H-hey, please be careful!" The voice said again, only this time, the deer's mouth moved along with with voice. "What is this?" Xiumin said to the key chain. "Well for starters, I'm Luhan," said the now identified voice," I'm a tuffed deer as you can see. I'm on a journey to find my Only Star-"

 

"Only Star?" Xiumin interjected.

 

"What you humans call a Soulmate," Luhan clarified," Anyway, I've been looking for my Only Star for six months with no lead whatsoever. My father told me that he would help me. In actuality, he turned me into a key chain and told me that I would need the assistance of someone if meet here at this zoo. He also told me that I could only get out of this key chain once I got someone's help.For a whole month I've been in this shop calling out to people-"

 

"Well that explains the barking,"Xiumin said aloud.

 

"Yes, I suppose it does...?"

"Xiumin"

 

"A wonderful name!" Luhan complimented with a smile,"So,for the past month I've been barking at people, but no one has seemed to hear me. Suddenly, two weeks ago, i started to sense my Only Star's presence. I wanted to go to them, but of course I couldn't Then today, you walked in, Xiumin! At first, it seemed as you couldn't hear me. But, when I barked again, you seemed to respond. I was so happy that finally, FINALLY, someone heard me! I kept up my barking, hoping and pleading that you had in fact heard me and that you would come my way. And you did! I'm so happy, Xiumin! You can help my find my Only Star!" Luhan finished off his explanation with an elated voice and smile.

 

"Ummmmmm, huh?" Xiumin responded dumbly.

 

"Oh, please don't make me repeat all of that," Luhan whined.

 

"Umm, ok. Hold on, give me a minute," Xiumin told Luhan.

 

Standing there with key chain Luhan in his hand, Xiumin tried to digest all that he had just heard. It was incredibly hard to believe. The day had started out relatively normal, aside from his annoying little brother. Wait, that was normal. So the day was normal. That is up to the point where he had followed the enigmatic barking-the only he could hear-that lead him to the the talking key chain named Luhan. Then, the talking key chain named Luhan told him that he was looking for his Soulmate-wait, no, Only Star- and that he was suppose to help him. Okay, not the most believable story, but Xiumin guessed that it was the best he was going to get with the circumstances at hand.

 

Upon seeing the disbelieving look on Xiumin's face, Luhan panicked. "Look, Xiumin, I know it's not the EASIEST story to believe, but it's the truth. I can feel my Only Star nearby! Once i get to them, I'm out of your hair. You are the only person who has been able to hear me, you HAVE to believe me!" Luhan pleaded.

 

"Okay,okay...I believe you. It's the best way to explain how a key chain is talking, I suppose," Xiumin responded.

 

" I'd appreciate it if you called me by my name and not 'The Talking Key Chain',please," Luhan said to Xiumin.

 

"Oh, sorry, Luhan," Xiumin apologized.

 

"Soooooo?"

"Yes?"

"Will you help me?"

To this Xiumin paused. Should he really help The Talk-Luhan? If Luhan  was an animal and a key chain and could in fact talk, what else was he capable of? But he supposed it couldn't hurt to help. Luhan was just a key chain, what harm could he do? Helping Luhan could alleviate some of the frustration he got with all of the "sibling quality time." Besides, who was he to deny Luhan of happiness? Sure, he didn't believe him fully, but the guy-er, tuffed deer- did deserve a chance at love. Luhan had also said that he had sensed his Only Star's presence nearby, so the search wouldn't take long.

 

So, with a large smile upon his face, Xiumin replied," Sure, I'll help!"

 

Luhan met his wide smile with one if his own," Thank you so much, Xiumin!"

"Though before I help you, I suppose I'll have to purchase you, as a key chain of course," Xiumin said, not wanting to offend Luhan.

 

" Of course, I understand. I'm not some spirit who is totally oblivious to this new day and age, Xiumin! You watch to many movies, silly!" Luhan replied with a giggle.

 

All Xiumin did was blush.

 

After purchasing Luhan, Xiumin was met with a whinny voice. " Minnie, where have you been, I was so worried that you had left me here all alone," Chen cried.

 

"No, of course not, Chen," Xiumin told the little boy,' Mom would kill me and I wouldn't get paid' he said as an afterthought.

 

"Young man, is this your brother?" A someone asked Xiumin. Looking over he saw it was the shop's cashier. She was a middle aged woman who was about five feet.

"Yes ma'am, he is," he answered.

"How could you leave him all alone like that? He's such a sweet, adorable little thing , don't be mean to him," the woman replied, obviously taking the little imp's side. 

"It's ok, Mis," Chen told her, " I'm sure Minnie didn't mean to," he added on a few extra tears to sell the act.

"Aww you poor thing. Well how about I give you this bear plushie for free to make you fell better and you two head on home?" The woman offered to Chen.

 

After giving the cashier a big-fake-smile, Chen took the bear and skipped out the shop followed by Xiumin, who had strapped Luhan to his bag.

 

"Ha! That lady TOTALLY fell for it," laughed a very much happy Chen,"Gotcha again, Minnie." And with that, Chen smirked at him and ran to the zoo exit.

 

"Ya! Don't call me Minnie ," Xiumin called out to his retreating brother's back.

 

 

"I take it that that's you're little brother?" Luhan asked Xiumin.

 

"Sadly, yes. But don't pay any mind to him. Please."

 

 

 

When they got home, Xiumin  immediately went to his room and locked the door. Detaching Lu Han from his bag, he sat down on his bed with the tuffed deer key chain next to him.

 

"So how dose this whole 'finding your Only Star' thing work?" Xiumin began.

"Well at a certain age, all  tuffed deers must go out and find their Only Star. We search high and low, to the ends of the earth and back, just to find the perfect one for us. You see, we can only ever be with one being in our entire life. And that one being is our Only Star."

 

"So how do you know when you find your Only Star?"

 

"Both sides will feel drawn to the other. Their hands will touch, and once they do, a spark will ignite between the two hands. Those sparks gives those two the power to sense the other being,"seeing Xiumin's confused face, Luhan quickly answered. "They will know what the other is feeling, weather or not they are endanger, and it also gives them the power to heal one another."

 

"That's awesome, but I still have one question," Xiumin said.

"What is it?" Luhan replied.

"What do you mean hands and powers?"

"Well," Luhan commented thoughtfully," since I now have help, I suppose I can get out of this darn thing ."

 

"What do you-"

 

Before Xiumin could finish his question, the key chain began to glow. Out of raw surprise, he yelped and fell of the bed. Soon, the vague outline of a human could be made out. Arms, neck, and legs grew longer. 

 

Before long, a full human sat before Xiumin on his bed. Well almost a full human. Brown, furry, slightly pointed deer ears sat atop honey blond hair. From the angle that Luhan was sitting on the bed Xiumin could see a small, round, brown deer tail. Perhaps the most distinctive trait Luhan held was the two fang-like teeth sticking out of either corner of his mouth. 

 

"Huh? You're human? I thought you were a key chain and a deer," Xiumin gasped. 

 

"Well yes, I am both of those," Luhan said sheepishly,"but I'm also human."

 

Xiumin sighed, this was a lot for one day.

 

"Okay, well, I guess I have to believe you, with you being human right now and all," Xiumin let out in a heavy breath.

 

"So is there anything else you're not telling me?"

 

"Well ....."

 

"Luhan?"

 

"Well...Ikindahavesuperpowerstoothatletsmemovethingswithmymind,"Luhan answered in one quick breathe.

 

"Huh?" Xiumin did not catch ANY of that. 

 

"I kinda have super powers too that lets me move things with my mind," Luhan repeated, slower this time.

 

"Right, and I'm a fairy princess," Xiumin said, rolling his eyes. 

 

"I'm serious. All tuffed deer have powers, each are different, mines just happens to be telekinesis" Luhan questioned. 

 

To this, Xiumin just gave him a deadpanned look.

 

"Come on, Xiumin. Would it really be THAT hard to believe after ever thing that has happened today?" Luhan questioned.

 

"...No, but you're going to have to prove it!" Xiumin answered back.

 

"Fair enough. "

 

With this, Luhan stood up from the bed. It was then that Xiumin realized that he himself was the shorter of the duo. Luhan's petite form was at least a head taller than him and Xiumin could clearly see his coco brown doe eyes. As for Luhan, he thought the boy in front of him was rather cute. His hair was a light brown, his nose looked like a button, and his eyes were a beautiful chestnut brown. His squishy cheeks and shortness only added to how adorable he was.

 

Raising a hand, Luhan concentrated on the lamp that was sitting on the dresser to the far right of the room. It rose off the dresser and began to make it's way to the boys. 

 

"What the-" Xiumin began.

 

"Shh, I need to concentrate," Luhan told the shorter. 

 

Shutting his mouth, Xiumin noticed that the lamp was gaining in momentum; it was going to hit them! Then the lamp suddenly stopped, just inches from Xiumin's face. Luhan burst into laughter.

 

"You should have see your face, Xiumin," Luhan said through tears of laughter as the set the lamp back on the dresser.

 

"Oh haha. I will get you back Lulu," Xiumin retorted, emphasizing the new nick name.

 

"Whatever you say, Minnie"

 

Xiumin just scoffed. 

 

 

 

 

It had two months since the fateful encounter, and the boys had made a system. School would be starting up again soon, so in the mornings Xiumin would prepare with quick studying and school supplies shopping. Then for the rest of the day they would go looking for Luhan's Only Star. It was also very helpful that Luhan could revert back to any state at will. It was much easier to walk around with a tuffed deer key chain and not the actual tuffed deer. A human boy with deer ears, tail, and two fangs would be pretty hard to explain as well. Throughout the whole time, the guys had yet to get any closer to finding Luhan's Only Star. They had looked all over the town. They went from the tallest building to the lowest sewer. The latter Xiumin had not really been too excited about, but Luhan's ever present and persistent pleading led him to doing so anyway. They would stay out searching so late that they wouldn't come home until very early the next morning. Then they'd do it all over again. But Luhan kept insisting that his Only Star was near. Xiumin could tell the tuffed deer was not about to give up any time soon, so he wouldn't either.

 

 He didn't really mind helping him either. Luhan knew quite a bit about lots of things. As the pair searched, they would talk about many things. Xiumin quickly discovered that he was the older of the two. He laughed internally at this, but said nothing aloud. From their talks, Xiumin also learned that Luhan was an only child who had only one parent. His mother had been killed by hunters when he was very young. "Oh, sorry for bringing it up," Xiumin mumbled. "It's okay, I didn't really know much about her and Papa raised me well anyway," Luhan responded flatly.

 

But Xiumin could clearly the hurt in hurt voice.

 

Of the happier things they talked about, Xiumin learned that Luhan was very good at singing. When Xiumin said that he was pretty good at singing too, Luhan laughed,"Oh, really, Xiu? Bring it!" Laughing at the new nickname, Xiumin smiled and nodded. For the rest of their search, two beautiful voices sang, eventually coming together to form one harmonious voice. That melodious voice resounded out into the warm air of the abandoned night street.

 

Other times, Xiumin was beyond happy that Luhan had supernatural powers. Once, they had been searching an abandoned construction site. Xiumin was completely against the idea.

 

"Are you mad? It's a construction site. And it's ABANDONED! There's even a sign-an enormous sign in broad daylight might I add- that says 'KEEP OUT. You don't ignore the giant keep out sign! People always die when they ignore the giant keep out sign," he had said in a low, frightened voice. 

 

Luhan just laughed at his friends display,"Xiu, you watch way too many movies."

 

Xiumin's face was a tomato and he was all too reminded of their first encounter. 

 

As they explored the site, Xiumin's legs wouldn't stopped quivering as he walked.

 

"Xiu, calm down, you're shaking like a leaf," the younger whispered.

 

"Yeah, well who's the one doing all the walking here, Lu? You're safe in your little key chain mode; I'm the vulnerable one," the scared squishy-cheeked boy spat back."Xiumin, it's okay, I will protect you," said Luhan, who was safe inside his key chain mode. 

 

"Oh yeah? And just how will you do th-"

 

Before the elder could finish his sentence, a loud crashing sound reached his ears. Looking up, Xiumin saw several iron beams headed straight for Luhan and him. Xiumin knew he'd never be able to react in time. He was going to die. In an abandoned construction site. That had a giant keep out sign. 'I knew i should have followed my movie instincts, ' he said to himself. He closed his eyes and waited for the inevitable, deadly impact.

 

But it never came.

 

Opening his eyes, Xiumin gasped in surprise. Not two feet above him were all of the beams, frozen in midair. 

 

"Wha-"

 

"Told you I'd protect you."

 

Looking over to his side, he saw Luhan in his semi- human form with one arm extended over his head.

 

"You did this? " Xiumin asked.

 

The taller smiled, " Who else?"

 

Setting the beams down far away from them, Luhan looked over at Xiumin."Believe in me a little more, eh?" And with that, the turned back into a key chain and reattached to Xiumin's bag.

 

Xiumin spent the rest in the search in silent, deep thought. 

 

 

 

 

It was 1am and Xiumin and Luhan had just gotten back home. Once again, they had not come any closer in their search.

 

"Well, nothing," Xiumin huffed as he flopped not-so-gracefully onto his bed. 

 

"Yep," Luhan agreed as he transformed back into his semi-human form.

 

"So, what now, " Xiumin asked.

 

"Well, we search were we haven't and keep at it," Luhan answered.

 

"We've searched all over town, Luhan. There isn't a place we haven't touched!" Xiumin sighed.

 

"Yes, I know. I know, and I'm sorry, Xiumin," Luhan apologized. "It's already been two months and nothing has changed. Two whole months that I've been intruding on you, you're family, and your life. I'm sorry, Xiu. I'm so, so sorry," Luhan continued, his voice cracking at the end.

 

"Hey, it's okay, Lu. I know this hasn't been easy for you either. I can't even imagine what it's like to look for your perfect love and not find them. And you're not intruding. I want to help you; I enjoy your company," Xiumin told him kindly as he went over to hug him. As he did so, he realized that this was the first time he had made any type physical contact with Luhan. The tuffed deer usually stayed in key chain form because his mom and Chen were always coming into his room unexpectedly.

 

As he wrapped his arms firmly around the younger from behind, their hands brushed.

 

Feeling a slight shock go through his hand, he jumped back a little.

 

Luhan gasped," Xiu, touch my hand again."

 

Confused, Xiumin grasped Luhan's hand. Instantly, a spark ignited between their two hands. It was a brilliant pearl white, and it was invitingly warm. Xiumin somehow knew the spark wouldn't hurt Luhan or him.

 

"Xiumin, do you know what this means?" Luhan asked breathlessly. Thinking back to conversations the two had had, the shorter's eyes widen as the realization hit him.

 

"Xiumin, what am I feeling right now?" Luhan asked in a hushed voice. 

 

Pausing, Xiumin felt something. It was a feeling of wonder, excitement, and nervousness all in one. Though he did feel similarly, Xiumin was sure these feelings were not his. They were separate from him, but they settled so well inside his heart. He told Luhan all of this.

 

"That's exactly how I'm feeling, Xiu!" the younger said excitingly.

 

"Lu, I...," Xiumin was speechless. This was so sudden. He supposed that he did feel attracted to Luhan in one way or another, but he had just attributed it to him wanting to help the tuffed deer. Though he would be lying to himself if he said he hadn't hoped it could be more. Luhan was very nicr to be around, the talks they had were invigorating and Xiumin always looked forward to them. The tuffed dear was also very kind and though he could be a bit teasing at times, Xiumin wouldn't want him any other way. On top of that, the elder boy rather liked the way the younger fit in his arms.

 

Refocusing his attention back on the taller, Xiumin saw the panicked expression on the other's face and realized that he was taking too long to respond. Xiumin smiled. 

 

"Lu, you are my Only Star. There may be millions, billions, trillions others, but I only see you in the beautiful night sky," he told the taller, his voice full of love and adoration.

 

"Xiu..." The younger never finished his sentence because he flung himself into the other's waiting arms and kissed him through his tears.

 

Kissing Luhan was everything Xiumin thought it would be and more. His lips were soft and plush and while they quivered slightly with inexperience, the kiss was full of love. Their lips fit perfectly together and Luhan's canines didn't hurt Xiumin in the slightest.

 

As they pulled away from each other, a light engulfed Xiumin. It was the same light that had ignited between their hands. The light warmed his skin all over. As quickly as it came, the light dissipated. Looking around he saw that nothing had changed.

 

Hearing a shocked intake of breathe from Luhan, he looked over at him. Shocked in silence, Luhan just handed him a mirror. Confused, he looked into the mirror and nearly dropped it. Gone were the human ears on the sides of his head. Instead, two furry, brown deer ears sat atop his head. Turning around, he realized he had the fluffy deer tail to match. Glancing around back to the mirror, he saw the most striking difference. On either sides of his mouth were white fang-like canines protruding outwards.

 

Looking back to Luhan, Xiumin beamed," Now I really am your Only Star."

 

The taller returned his smile," Haha, you still would be even if you didn't become a tuffed deer."

 

The couple embraced once again and fell onto the bed feeling warm and protected in each other's arms.

 

"I just have one more question, Lu, " Xiumin mumbled quietly into Luhan's ear.

 

"Hm, what is that, love?" Luhan said just as quietly. 

 

"What super natural power do I have?"

 

Luhan laughed at his Only Star' s innocent question," Well, darling, we will find that out in time."Soon after, the couple settled into a comfortable, love- filled slumber.

 

On the window, just above their heads, a picture materialized. A heart formed, made of ice.

 

It was still the dead of summer.