Chapter 4: New Friends [Part 2]

The New Girl

 

When we went outside, Suzy and I rushed up to the track and reached it just in time.

The PE teacher yelled at us as Suzy pulled me onto the track and we stretched with the rest of our class.

"1, 2, 3... 1, 2,3"  we all  chanted as we extended from side to side.

After we were done, we all gathered around the teacher who told us we were to run around the track for ten minutes.

Everybody moaned and complained, Suzy stood next me and frowned.

"Do you want to run for that long?" She turned towards me

"No, not really, who would?"

"Follow my lead and clutch your stomach in pain"

I followed her exact direction as we walked towards the PE teacher.

"Mr. Ahn, can I go to the  Nurse... I have very bad cramps." She says while .

"Me too!" I chime in with a less convincing groan of pain.

He quickly looks at a Suzy and then looked at me, "who are you?" He asked, still looking.

"Um… I'm -"

"Kwon Yumi!" Suzy lies, "...She's my cousin she lives with my family and I, she just came from um, Busan and you know what happens when girls live together their cycles match up and -"

"Just go" He waves her away, not wanting to hear this material.

We walk away trying to give convincing emotions.

As we stepped into the building I followed Suzy into the Nurse's office.

"Stay here,” she tells me as she enters the room.

I stand there and peer through the window of the door. I see her talking to the Nurse, explaining herself to her. After five minutes of what I assume was an intense storm of questions and answers between the Nurse and Suzy, I am finally signaled to enter the room by Suzy.

I enter the room and I notice something that I didn’t when I was looking through the window, the Nurse looked really young. She looked like she could be a student of this school.

"Is this Sora?" She turned towards me

"Yes! I'm Lee Sora" I say as I bow to her.

She giggles, I begin to push my hair from my face and tied it up again with my rubber band.

"Well,  Sora I'm Nurse Han; you don't need to be so formal Sora, it's okay, I'm not that much older than you." the Nurse says as she smiles.

"Ah... Is that so..." I say looking around

"It's okay, I've been here almost every day, she's a family friend."

"I understand how hard working out is when you have cramps," Nurse Han says," Even when people say excising helps stop the pain I still think it's a lie,You girls can lay down on the beds if you need to."

Suzy declines, I, however accept her offer and lay down on the bed and pull the curtains to shade me. I began to doze off about five minutes later. I wake up to a large thump as Suzy loudly sat on the bed across from me.

I hear Nurse Han stand up and  slightly open the curtain to see if I was awake, I stood there motionless trying to look like I  was in a deep sleep.

She sits back down “Minyoung, how has it been; how is your abdominal pain, do you feel better?”

I hear Suzy slowly, but sharply exhale.

Her voice isn’t how she speaks to me, it isn't high-pitch and cute sounding; It’s now a bit dull.

“They've finished now, I guess, and I feel better. ” She says as I hear her tapping her foot on the tiled floor.

“What about you and Yoongi, has he spoken to you lately?”

Suzy pauses and waits for a second or two, then replies “Please, I know you mean the best, but you aren't a therapist, I don’t want to tell you these things."

"I see..." she says, I can hear the concern in her voice, but she then brushes it off.

"Then, how has your mother been?" Nurse Han asked, changing the subject

"Fine, we just celebrated my brother's birthday and..."

I begin to stop listening to what they're saying.

Suzy is so two-faced… She's so…

My thoughts were interrupted halfway through as I abruptly fall asleep.

What seemed like seconds later, I was awoken by Suzy.

"Sora!! We have to go, the period is ending soon and we have to change." She shook my shoulder

I got up and put my shoes back on, Suzy did the same.

“Goodbye” we both say and bow in unison before exit.

We began to walk down the hall.

“Suzy, what class do you have next?”

“I have Chemistry next, what about you?” she replies

“I have two free periods next”

“Lucky~” she whines

“Let's go change!” She added and grabbed my wrist.

Ow...

She pulls me across the school building and we reached the changing room in a matter of seconds.

A minute later, as Suzy and I began to strip, a large group of girls began to enter the changing room.

“Ah-! Can you believe that son of a said ten minutes? ” one girl voices a few rows over, "Ten minutes? Heh, yeah right, that was more than twenty, ah~ my body aches..."

“Also can you believe that she got out of working out? Does that think she’s special?” Someone else added.

“And that girl who's following her around like a lost puppy. Disgusting.” Another one chimed in.

“What about her friend with the blue hair, two together must be a match made in heaven.”

Before I could even react, Suzy slips on her blouse and stomps her way towards the girls who were changing.

“What the is your problem Hyesun?”

I follow her.

One of them stands up "What are you talking about, what did I do?"

"You were talking again, Hyesun, that's what." Suzy says  getting in her face.

"Well, so what if I was?" Hyesun says, stepping forward.

Before anything could happen, I stepped in, "Okay guys, no  need to fight about this... Let's pretend this never happened." I pulled Suzy away.

"Who are you Gandhi? Why are you acting like a goddamn peacemaker, this isn't your problem, go away!" Hyesun's friend says while making shooing gestures at me.

"Let's go..." I say as I pull Suzy away from them.

"Huh, thought so... " Hyesun says haughtily as she applies BB cream onto her face.

These girls...

I turned around and say, smiling "Hyesun... do you want to know something?"

"What?" she replies, as she regains her bad girl  posture.

"You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig."

Laughter and giggles rang throughout the changing room.

Hyesun and her friend were dumbfounded, then Hyesun snapped back to her senses and came straight towards me, I block my face expecting an epic blow to my face and demeanor. But there was just a loud ring.

"Oh! the bell, Hyesun we have to hurry up."

Hyesun stepped away and gave me a dirty look as I slowly moved my hands away from my face.

"These es aren't worth being late."

I breathe a sigh of relief as I walked side by side with Suzy to our lockers.

I felt the eyes of almost all the girls in the changing room as we moved closer to our lockers.

We entered our row and I slammed my back on one of the lockers and exhaled a breath of ease.

"Wow, Sora, I didn't think you had that in you, " she chuckles as she and I begin to get dressed again.

"Thank yo-" I start to say before Suzy suddenly interrupts me

"But, please don't do that again."

"What? Wait, why?"

"Because, I've known most of the people in this school since either Grade school or  Intermediate school and let's just say, these kids aren't the friendliest."

"You mean -"

"Yeah, you know what I mean..."

As she talks I try to put on my shoes, barely looking to see if they're on correctly.

"You know how Namjoon and all of them are in a 'group' there are more like them and whatever you did to get yourself into that mess you got into with them, if you did that with them you'd be either missing or worse..." she says in a low voice.

My body gets goosebumps at the reality she throws in my face.

What if I saw someone else and they weren't as nice as them?

I start to stuff the gym uniform I was wearing in my bag as Suzy locks her locker.

"Just be careful, I'm pretty sure after everyone recognizes you're with them you won't be messed with, but you won't be safer,when you get into something like that you're never safe," She says in a low voice.

Regret floods my system.

I should have listened to Ari... 

The last bell, announcing the commencing of class, rings.

"I get it... are you leaving?" I ask her as she begins to lean against the wall.

She finally realizes that she left her guard down and puts the wall between me and her back up.

This makes her stand up straight, smile and say in the usual high-pitched voice "I'm going to stay here for a while, I need to do stuff..."

"Stuff..." I mimic to myself.

"What?" 

"Nothing," I say giving a fake smile, "See you later!"

She replies with a smile back as I leave the changing room.

Minyoung's Point of View

I watch Sora as she walks away out of the changing room, her ponytail bobbing with each step she took. Little miss special. Who is she to be friends with the people I wanted to be friends with. It took me literally years to even be on speaking terms with them, but it takes her less than a week.
Ha... right she's obviously sleeping with either Namjoon or Seokjin. Whatever she got herself into, I hope she likes it.

I huff and get up.

I get my stuff and look for the nearest exit of this hellhole, I don't feel like dealing with people anymore today.

I just walk out, nobody cares, no one tries to stop me and even if they did I wouldn't listen to them.

I pull my small MP3 player out and insert my headphones.

Music blares through my ears.

I don't even know why I carry this around anymore, I went and threw everything that Yoongi gave me, but I still have this.

I guess I kept it to remember him...back then when he wasn't a jerk.

I smile to myself...back then.

I then frown, "back then…"

I walk a block or two till I reach my parents restaurant.

It's the lunch rush, the restaurant was slightly packed with customers and workers, I take off my shoes.

I moved through and scanned the room looking for my mother while positioning  my head low so as not to be recognized by the frequent customers or the workers.

I made my  way to the back and upstairs halfway up I hear someone say my name.

I turn around, it's my mother, she's speeding towards me.

I move faster.

She slows down when a customer stops to ask for an extra of something, she answers yes and plasters a smile on her face then walks away to get the item.

I sigh and run up the stairs and slide the door open to my room and enter.

My feet touch the cold floor.

"It's the middle of winter and the heat still isn't on the top floor... great" I mutter.

I begin to strip off my school uniform, halfway through I hear a beeping.

I get a mini-heart attack until I realize it's my phone.  

I open my small wardrobe and look through the clutter of my older sisters clothes and grab my phone.

I press the home button and see notifications from Kakao.

I enter my passcode and get a flood of messages.

I scroll through the chats and see the 'horrific' messages sent to me.

Blah blah blah... Go kill yourself...Blah blah blah... You're a waste of space...Blah blah blah...

It's been almost a year and these people are still sending these messages.

It's the same things too, it's like they don't put their hearts into it. Now that's what truly makes me sad.

It takes me a while to realize the beeping was a call not a message.

"Their spamming isn't helping me at all." I grumble

I go to delete the app, my finger floats over the small x.

If I delete this then all my messages are gone... old and new... I'm too lazy to delete all these hate groups, but a daily dose of pain isn't good either...

Before I thought anymore, I deleted it.

My eyes widen, then slowly retract.

"Whatever..." I say to myself.

I take the final pieces of my uniform off and hang them on the hooks on the wall.

I check my missed calls, they're from Jiyeon, I call her back.

She answers, "Minyoung? You're home?"

I don't answer.

"I hear you breathing! If you didn't want to talk to me why'd you call back?"

I open my mouth, then close it.

"I know you can hear me! Stop skipping class do you even kno-"

I cut her off, "Come over for lunch, okay?"

She hears the worry in my voice, "Fine"  is the last thing I hear until the call is cut.

I change into regular clothing and fix my hair in a way so that it is no longer clinging to the cold sweat on my forehead.

I go downstairs and my mother catches me. 

She lightly grabs me by the wrist and pulls me towards the back part of the restaurant.

"What are doing here?" She whispers

I don't respond.

She sighs, "Are your classes finish for today?"

I don't answer.

She looks around, she's busy like always.

She rummages through her pockets and pulls out some money, "here go somewhere for the rest of the day, go study, go to a friend's house, get some cake, do whatever, just don't let your father see you."

I slowly take the money from her.

"You were born with a mouth for a reason, say something when someone speaks to you." Mother scolds as she walks away.

The next thing I do is leave and wait outside for Jiyeon.

She's dressed in her winter survival kit, from her ear muffs down to her fuzzy socks.

"Why aren't you wearing a coat?" she questions.

I just shrug my shoulders.

She exhales a long breath and gives me her coat, I protest until she shows me the assortment of sweaters she's wearing.

"This better be good," she says, walking down the block with me,"I'm missing my study session with my tutor for this."

We cross the street.

"Yeah, trust me it is."

Jiyeon pulls her pack out her pocket,"Want one?" she offers.

I shake my head no and reply,"It's better not to smoke now, so you won't get caught."

She tuts at me and takes the cigarette out .

We turn around the block, we've reached the park.

We are walking around enjoying the scenery, till I finally speak,"You know that girl? From our math class?"

She looks at me intently and nods.

"We'll she's 'hanging' out with them."

Jiyeon stays with her face blank for a short while, then bursts out laughing, causing all the older people in the park to look at us with disapproval.

She covers with her hand and gets it together.

"And?" she asks"Which one of them is she blowing?"

She comes up to my face and asks,"Yoongi?"

I shake my head at her and walk away from her.

She quickly catches up,"I'm just kidding, why are you so angry? Aren't you happy?"

I walk faster, she stops and shouts behind me, "It has been more than a year Minyoung, move on."

Move on?

"Move on?" I repeat as I turn around

She has the look of regret on her face, I stare back.

"I'll call you when I've moved on," I say as my eyes tear up.

Jiyeon grabs me by the shoulder,"I'm sorry I didn't mean it that way alright? Let's get some ice cream. Don't think about those people" She says linking her arm with mine.

I nod along.

Jiyeon doesn't mention them anymore.

She knows that talking about him, or any of them will make me cry again.

We just stay in the shopping area, buying and eating sweets and trying on clothes we want, but can't afford.

By the time we're finished it's almost sunset and I'm nearly home.

Jiyeon is going on and on about how her tutors keep giving her extra work.

I cut her off, "Jiyeon, you should go home before your dad has to hear from someone else that you didn't go to your tutor's place."

She looks at me for a while, then finally responds,"Fine, but you can call me at anytime if you want to talk okay, Minyoung?"

I just nod at her, I give her back her coat and we go our separate ways.

I watch her go down the block and when she's finally out of sight I go home.

I arrive back to the restaurant and remove my shoes, it's midday and things are a bit smoother and slower than in the afternoon.

My younger brother, Jun, is doing his homework at a table.

I tousle his hair as I greet him with a simple,"Hello."

My mother stops me from going up.

"Minyoung we're short on staff for the rest of the day you need to step in and help."

I protest, "Mom I can't, I have homework to do!"

"How can you have homework when you skipped school?" she whispers.

I give in and put on an apron.

For the first hour it's predominantly empty.

I sit down, facing away from the door, when I hear the door open. 

I huff and get up, "Welcom-"

I don't speak, is this some sadistic message from God? Should I not be happy?

I see the one and only Min Yoongi and friends with the new addition of Sora.

I shake my head, no way, no ing way.

I remove my apron, get my shoes, and walk away.

My mother yells out my name.

"I'm not going to serve them with a smile." I holler back to her.

And with that, I run away.