Chapter 3: New Friends

The New Girl

I wake up to my alarm clock ringing. My head swiftly jolts up and I look around my room.

What time was it now?

I push my books aside and face the screen of my phone. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the light, after a second or two I saw the time, it was 5:51 am.

I lazily get up and stretch, then straighten my uniform.

Did I fall asleep in this!?

I quickly took off my uniform and changed into my pajamas. I grab all my books and shove them into my book bag. I silently walk into my father's room and woke him up to get ready as I began to make breakfast for him with the few things we had.

He came out later dressed, I took these precious few minutes to talk to him.

"Father, when are you going to buy food? We hardly have anything here..."

"Oh, I'll be able to buy some later" he says as he sips on his coffee

"You've said that for the past week..."

"Ah... Sora I'm sorry it's just that your mother did all of this, so I'm not so good at all of this."

I look at him blankly and say "well, she's dead so she can't do it anymore."

"Sora…"

I looked at the clock, it was 6:30.

"I have to get ready if I don't want to miss the bus" I say as I put his breakfast in front him.

I quickly run to my room and put my uniform on as fast as I possibly can.

I brush my teeth and I spray some perfume and apply some deodorant, so I won't smell like I came out of the Dumpster. I take my time trying not to meet with my father again. I after a while I peek through my door, when I saw the coast was clear I walked out. I looked on the counter there was money,as I already got my weekly allowance, I assume it's for groceries. I put it to the side as I look for something to eat. I finally find some bread and I eat it as I leave my apartment complex. I run to my bus stop just as the bus is going to leave, I quickly sit down and rejoice as I sit down on one of the few seats not occupied by other people or students. I quickly look at my phone. The screen wouldn't turn on...

It has no charge...Oh well, whatever.

The bus took a while to finally reach my stop. I exited the bus with the other students from the school, I walked a few blocks down and reached Hanmin. I check my schedule and try to find my first class. After aimlessly walking around I find my first class, trigonometry. I find a seat in the class and sit down, I hadn't had this class yesterday.

A girl walked up to my desk, she looked down at me for a while until she said "this is my seat."

I quickly apologize and get up, she starts to giggle.

"I'm just kidding, I sit behind you," she says getting in her actual seat.

I slowly sit back , putting my bag down.

"Are you new? I haven't seen you here before."

I stay silent, hoping she would leave or stop talking.

"Which school did you come from?, Did you get moved to this class?"

She doesn't stop and continues asking question after question.

"Hey, what's  your name?"

"My name is Lee Sora..."

"Cool, my name is-"

"Park Minyoung" someone says else says from the side.

Me and Minyoung both looked to the side, it was a girl with short hair dyed a deep blue.

"Jiyeon!"

She jumped up and hugged Jiyeon.

After ten seconds she lets go and said "this is my friend Jiyeon and my name is Suzy, not Minyoung"

Like Suzy from Miss A? 

As if she read my mind, she says "it's not because I like Suzy from Miss A, it's my nickname my friend gave me a long time ago."

"Yup, a really good friend" Jiyeon chuckles lightly. 

Suzy glares slightly at Jiyeon, then turns back to me and smiles.

"So, I'd like it better if you call me Suzy no one calls me Minyoung anymore"

"This is Jiyeon, she sits over there" She says as Jiyeon sits on her desk.

"If you ever need anything you can ask one of us." Suzy says as she sits down at her desk.

She then begins to talk about something and I begin to zone out.

I then take out a book and start reading.

"Wow, You must really like to read no one I know other than me are really reading for fun, what books do you like?" Suzy asks

"I only read when I'm bored, I don't actually like reading."

"Are we boring you? " She says in a monotone voice.

"If we are, we can jus-"

"N-no I just meant..."

She pauses for a second and then her face changes.

She begins to laugh out loud "you should've seen the look on your face, I'm just kidding, don't take most of the stuff I say seriously."

Awkwardly, I nod my head .

Then, the bell rang, but no one went to their seats.

I take out a notebook and look around, Jiyeon and Suzy are talking amongst themselves.

"Where's the teacher?" I ask the both of them

They both look at me and start chuckling .

"He never really comes to class, he lets us use this time to 'study' for our midterms" Jiyeon says

"Do any of you guys actually study?"

"Some of us do, but most of the kids who really want to pass have tutors so they use this time to talk and do other stuff..." Jiyeon says as she takes out her phone.

"But if anyone passes by, someone by the door will just tell us so don't worry about getting caught, just don't be too loud and everything will be fi-"

At that time a kid walked quickly inside the classroom and said with a cough like voice "he's coming!"

Suzy groans and Jiyeon curses under her breath, in the speed of light the whole class takes out their textbooks and notebooks and pretends they have been like that since the start of the first period.

The trigonometry teacher walked inside and he walked and sat at his desk and started to read something. He then said "Mr. Jung, please explain to me, why were you so happy that you felt the need to run to class."

I look across the room to where the boy was sitting, it was Hoseok.

"I was just so honored to learn from the greatest teacher ever, so I wanted to go to class as soon possible" he says sarcastically with his head on his desk.

The whole class laughs.

The teacher looks up from what he's reading and the laughter stops.

He orders Hoseok to get up.

"Why do we always do this?" Hoseok sighs and he goes outside of the classroom and assumes the position, with his back to the wall and arms over his head.

The teacher leaves the door ajar and sits back at his desk, with the occasional glance at Hoseok. For the whole period no one spoke a word and Hoseok didn't move a muscle. Finally, after a painstaking hour, the bell rang and everyone in the class breathed a sigh of relief as they rapidly packed their items and left for their next class. Hoseok came back into the room to collect his stuff. The teacher signals to him to come towards him, Hoseok rolls his eyes and stands by his desk. I begin to slow my packing down to listen to their conversation, as I begin to finally hear them Suzy taps me on the shoulder.

"Sora, what class do you have next?"

I take my eyes off of them for a moment and look in my bag to find my schedule.

"I have PE next" I say then quickly turn back to listen in, the teacher just sat there and Hoseok had left. I wasn't really that curious, so I turned back to Suzy.

"I have PE too, want me to go there together?"

"Sure" I say finally thankful someone offered to show me where somewhere is, without me asking them first.

We began to exit the classroom.

"Wait" Suzy says as she put me to a halt, "ask Mr. Im about the class, you need textbooks to use."

"Oh yeah, thanks for telling me."

I went to Mr. Im's desk.

"Um...Mr. Im, I just transferred to this school, I'm new to the class I still need a trigonometry textbook."

He looks at me as if I was dog poop he stepped in, he wanted to scrap me off.

"You have to buy your textbooks, do you have money with you?"

"How much does it cost?"

"About ₩90,000."

That much for a trigonometry book?

My jaw slightly fell.

"There are cheaper textbooks, but they're used."

"How much are they?'

"₩20,000"

I accepted the used book and paid for it and signed a few things confirming I had brought it and took the receipt. I exited the classroom and met up with Suzy and Hoseok, they were chatting about something. I move and pass the other students passing and chatting in the halls and walked up to them.

"Where did Jiyeon go?'

"She went home" Suzy says as she linked my arm with hers.

She faced Hoseok and said " Hoseok, this is Lee Sora, Sora this is Hoseok" while pointing to who is who.

"I know Sora already." he said, smiling and walking down the hall.

Suzy sped up to catch up to him.

"What do you mean, since when, didn't she just transfer here?"

"I came yesterday."

"Oh, you guys had a class together yesterday?"

"No, she joined the group."

Suzy's arms went limp and she stood there in the half empty hallway speechless, for once. She ran up to Hoseok and walked with him side by side.

"What do you mean she 'joined'? I thought people from the outside couldn't join?" She said in an angry tone, I try to catch up to her.

Hoseok began to walk faster, trying to avoid her, Suzy began to speed up and tries to grab his forearm.

"Ya! Hoseok, do you know how much I asked you guys to join and time after time it was, no, not now, later?"

Hoseok pushed her off and started to run away, Suzy chased after him. I walked faster, following her. I walked down the stairs and started pushing through the other students. As I got to the last step, I heard someone get scolded by a teacher. I turned the corner and I saw Suzy apologizing and bowing. She started to walk away, I began to walk to her until she waited until the teacher wasn't looking and commenced running again. I finally ran after her until I yelled her name and she turned around and bumped into someone, I ran fast and trying to help her up.The person turned around.

"Minyoung" he said as he helped her up.

I stop in my tracks,it was Yoongi.

Suzy suddenly stops dead in her tracks and barely mutters out "Yoongi."

Hoseok was behind Yoongi, as if he was a protective barrier.

"Minyoung, why are you running? You could've gotten hurt or hurt someone else." He scolds.

Suzy looks down in shame and he last for a few more seconds.

In a voice hardly above a whisper she says "since when did you start caring about me?"

"What" he says unable to hear her.

She composes herself and jokes.

"Oppa, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to… its just that Hoseok provoked me" she said while fake crying.

She starts laughing and brushes it off.

"I'm just kidding, I have to go now, I was bringing Sora to PE that's why I was running we didn't want to be late."

Yoongi looked at me with the same look he had the first day he saw me, annoyance.

Suzy grabbed my wrist and started to quickly walk away. I tried to keep up with her speed. She quickly tried to enter the building. Then Yoongi cups his hands around his mouth and said "watch where you're going next time."

He takes his hands away from his mouth and says softly, but loud enough to hear "I'm not your oppa, we're the same age."

 

Suzy hears this and winces a little, then begins to run away.

I guess Suzy's a senior.

Suzy and I ran to the changing room, she realized my situation.

"You don't have a gym uniform yet, right?"

"Yes" I say as nod.

She goes to her locker and takes out and extra pair and throws them at me, I catch.

"These might be a little large, but these are all I have, you can keep them if you want, " she says as she turns around to change.

She suddenly turns back and says "they're clean too, so you don't need to wash them or anything"

I begin to strip off my clothing, there was no one around but me and Suzy. I wondered why she chose such a secluded area to change. I realized why when turned around to put my shirt in my locker and I froze. I looked at Suzy's body and I was shocked and horrified. Her torso is covered in stretch marks and cuts. I quickly turn back around and pretended I hadn't seen anything. I put my gym uniform on. I put all my clothes inside my empty locker and followed Suzy outside to the field and track.


(A/n: Sorry if there are mistakes, I was really rushing to finish this chapter)