twenty four

Bluff!

♠ TWENTY FOUR ♠ 


"Ah-CHOO!"
"Bless you."

"Ah-CHOO!"
"Bless you."

"At the rate we're going, I'm going to be ordained into priesthood by the end of the night." Howon sighed, reaching over to grab a box of tissues from the car's compartment drawer. He passed it on to his younger cousin, who thankfully received them. “Bee, you don’t have to force yourself. I can see to these matters on my own, you know. You need your rest.”


“I can do this. It’s a mild cold, Howon, nothing tea and sleep can’t fix!” Seulbi reassured after a few sniffles. Her nose was bright red but she was still smiling prettily at him. “And I already promised Abeonim I'd come along with you to socialize with some new foreign investors."

"I suppose Abeonim has a point. Introducing the future heiress should be good for bridging future contacts.”

Seulbi shot him a sharp look. "Hey. He said socialize, not show off. Besides, it isn't even official yet."

"Then what's my purpose here? Carry-on baggage?" a new voice cut in, interrupting. The two directed their attention to Sunggyu, who was sitting on the front passenger seat. He was dressed in a business suit pretty similar to Howon's, his hair swept up to showcase his handsome face. The very prominent frown he had on was the only thing ruining the entire look. He had his arms crossed and couldn't care less if it was creasing his attire.


"You're here on homework," Hoya filled in, displaying his canines with his boyish grin. "Something along observational studies?"

"Homework, my ! This is an evil ploy to get me to babysit both of you!"

"Come on, it's good for you! You're acting like a child who's being cranky because he was awoken from his afternoon nap," Hoya teased with a light whistle, raising and lowering his eyebrows playfully as he spoke.

"Or a cat that's just been given a bubble bath," Seulbi sniggered. The two broke into polite fits of laughter, taking glee in the guy's misery.

"Yeah, yeah. Laugh all you want." Sunggyu let them laugh along as they pleased, taking time to immerse himself in the moment, put in mind the patterns of their laughter. This would be one of the last times he was hanging out with these kids, might as well make it count.

"Alright, I'll let you tag along. But if you're not feeling well, you have to promise me that you'll tell me immediately, alright?" Hoya bargained as a precaution. If she was still laughing like this, she was okay enough to attend that night's events. "I'll have Sunggyu-hyung and the driver accompany you back home while I wrap up matters here. I can probably hitch a ride with Dongwoo. He's seeing to another event not too far from where we are anyway." Seulbi nodded and stuck out her pinky for a pinky promise, which Howon took and the two shook on it.

Tonight's event was a social gathering for all the young elite socialites and foreign investors. The entire event was even covered by the media. As one of the biggest conglomerates in South Korea, the Woollim group of companies couldn't miss out. 

Sunggyu could only stare at the two in awe. Gone were the Howon and Seulbi laughing like tiny children earlier as they took on a more formal, business-like persona. Even honorifics were on the dot as they began conversing with family friends and business associates who were also young heirs and heiresses. All he could do was smile, nod and follow them around like a servant boy.

“Are you going to tether me to your side for the whole night?” he asked when he managed to catch Seulbi alone.


Even Sunggyu’s jokes couldn’t disrupt Seulbi’s seriousness when she was in her business mode. “Sorry to disappoint, but I won't. Although, I do trust that you’ll be on your best behaviour, I'll keep an eye on you just in case,” came her curt and very formal reply. "Now if you'll please excuse me..."

Seulbi went to rejoin her cousin, who was currently speaking to some American business partners. Woollim did expand its chain of hotels overseas of course, with Hoya's and Sungyeol's parents taking charge of that division. Networking was hardwork, making small talk with business associates and associates of associates to establish connections, but it was a great marketing tactic to expand a company's sphere of influence and ensure sustainability and backing support.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as appealing from a spectator's point of view. Having nothing better to do, 
Sunggyu decided that he might as well get himself a drink and ended up making his way towards the mobile bar. Everyone was too busy carrying their drinks around, toasting to newfound business connections, that the bar tables that have been set up were devoid of people.

"Bored?"

A girl in a rather y one shoulder white bodycon dress, with glossy ruby red lips had squeezed herself at the small table he was currently occupying. Before Sunggyu could even take insult to her words, she explained herself. "Oh, please don't misunderstand! You didn't come here on your own accord, did you? I could tell, you're just like me," the girl told him with a grin. "One Jack Daniel's on the rocks, please!" 

That was a pretty hard drink for a lady. "So you were forced to watch all this from the sidelines too?" Sunggyu asked over the jazzy lounge music.

"If I knew that this was all I'd be doing, I'd have flipped my channel over to 'Happy Together' or some other talk show," his new acquaintance replied, taking a huge gulp of her drink. "It would be too awkward to drink alone on separate tables. Might as well keep each other company during this boring party."

Her laughter was rather pleasant and friendly, and she didn't seem to be hitting on him. Sunggyu deemed it okay to lower his guard down around her. Here was someone who shared his exact sentiments. Misery could use a little company.


“Hi, nice to meet you, I’m Mieun,” the girl introduced, keeping each other on a first-name basis so it wouldn't be too uncomfortable. She extended a pale, slim arm towards him for a handshake.

“Sunggyu,” came his reply as he shook her hand. “The pleasure is mine.”



"So which company do you come from again? I don't think I've seen you around before." Mieun, whom he discovered was the same age as him, asked, propping her elbow up on the table so she could rest her cheek as the two continued to sip on whiskey and crowd-watch from the sidelines. 

Sunggyu kept in mind that if he was going to be wise about this, he had to be careful about what he said from here on out. One wrong slip could compromise his identity, and for sure bring the Lee family down with him. "I'm afraid I can't disclose," was the safe answer he chose, passing it off as a joke.

"Ahh, so you're that kind of man. At least tell me this: old money or new money?"

"Neither," he responded, circling his glass to stir whatever was left of his drink. "Don't give me that look. Really, neither!"


"You're really playing up the chic, cold city guy part, huh?" the girl giggled. "You know, you really remind me of Jeguk's L. Shame he couldn't make it. It would have been a trio sitting here tonight."

"You're seriously going to prefer dead air over this? The guy barely talks," Sunggyu laughed.


Meanwhile, Seulbi was busy multi-tasking: while conversing with the Andersons, she was trying to locate Sunggyu's whereabouts, wondering where he had disappeared to earlier. She had promised him she would let him do as he pleased, but that didn't mean she couldn't keep an eye on him.

What on earth was Sunggyu doing with Song Mieun?

The pair at the bar, currently sharing a bottle of black label Jack Daniel's whiskey, were receiving mixed stares. They were all curious as to why someone actually had the balls to hangout with someone like Song Mieun. Everyone in the business world knew of the girl's not-so-clean reputation.

Seulbi watched from within a close enough range as said girl refilled Sunggyu's glass with some more alcohol. And then Seulbi saw it. It was a quick slight of hand, and she almost lost it, but she had seen the girl click open the top of the huge ring on her finger. She suspiciously tapped the glass with her ring finger a few times, as if she was tipping something into the drink while she kept Sunggyu engaged in conversation. Bile rose up to in her panic. Seulbi definitely couldn't just stand at the sidelines anymore.

Mieun slid Sunggyu's newly-refilled glass of whiskey over to him. "Cheers to a new friendship?" she asked with a smile as she raised her own glass.

"I'll drink to that," Sunggyu replied. The two clinked their respective glasses together.

Before Sunggyu could even fully bring the glass of alcohol to his lips, it had been swatted out of his loose grasp. The glass shattered into pieces when it hit the floor, catching the attention of people from all corners of the venue. After overcoming his initial shock, Seulbi came into focused view now. She had crashed their little toast and Sunggyu figured out that she was the one who had knocked his glass away rudely.

"What on earth are you doing?" he hissed at her.


"Sunggyu, stand down," Lee Seulbi told him. The glint in her eyes was dangerous and he's never seen her this angry before. "I think he's had about enough drinks today, Song Mieun."

Insulted, Mieun got up from her seat, ready to square off with the Woollim heiress. "We were just having a little fun, Lee Seulbi! Not like you'd understand the meaning of that, all of you stuck-ups of Woollim!"

"Is spiking drinks your idea of fun?"

Whispers began to grow noisier around the room. "So that's how you're going to play it out huh? You think your word is law, so you make up stories and slander your way through to make yourself look like the victim," Mieun advanced, raising an angry hand before bringing it down upon the Woollim heiress. "You're not higher than me! Get off your damn high horse!"


Before the she could even strike at Seulbi, Mieun found herself held back by none other than Hoya. He was frowning now, trying very hard to tone down his temper. If Hoya was this angry, then the issue between them must have been serious.

Mieun yanked her hand away roughly to free herself and sneered at both Seulbi and Hoya. "I won't ever forget being this publicly humiliated. Woollim, you should watch your backs."

 

 

With Hoya staying to dampen the damage and answer possible media inquiries, Sunggyu managed to drag Seulbi away from the crowds to talk in private. His steps were furious against the marble tiling and Seulbi strode after him with equal vigor. "Did you have to do that?" he growled, his voice down to a dangerous whisper. "Just what is your problem?"

Seulbi's jaw dropped in disbelief. That was the last thing that she had expected to spill forth from his mouth. "My problem? What is your problem, being inattentive and hanging out with dangerous people like Song Mieun?"

"You're the one who caused the scene back there! You're better than that, Lee Seulbi!"

"Oh, so now you’re turning this conversation against me?” Seulbi scoffed in disbelief, storming after him. "I'm not blind, Sunggyu! I saw what she put into that drink! It was a good thing that I had my eye on you the whole time-- who knows what she could have done to you?”

"What was it then, poison? Drugs? Artficial sweetener? What was her motive in doing that? I'm a nobody in this business world! What would she want and what benefits could she possibly get from someone like me?"

"I... don't know," Seulbi admitted in all honesty. All she knew was that deep in her gut, she felt like she had to get Sunggyu away from that drink and from harm, even if her life depended on it. "I don't know, probably take you into her evil clutches to do her bidding. The Song family isn't one of the cleanest in this industry."

"Well, sorry for being uninformed! Look, just because Woollim isn't in good terms with the owners of S&C Corporation doesn't mean you have the right to go slandering about anybody!"

“I’m not making things up just because I spite her or her family!" Seulbi wanted to scream into his deaf ears. "Would you hear me out, please?!? Are you seriously taking the side of someone you just recently met? I got you out of trouble, but you haven't even heard my end!"

"I think I've seen and heard enough," came Sunggyu's cold reply. "If you're hoping for me to up to you and grovel at your feet because you saved me, can it. It's not going to happen!"

"That's not what I intended--"

“I can handle myself, Seulbi! I’ve been fine on my own until you came! I don’t need anyone to give a flying about me, take care of me! Not now, not ever!” "I don't need abeonim to do that for me. I don't need Woohyun, and most especially, I don't need you!Sunggyu was livid by the time he had finished his heated argument.

“Sunggyu, you— you are the worst, really...” Seulbi stammered, unable to find words to say . Her vision blurred with tears threatening to spill. It could have been the clog up of her sinuses or the biting cold of the night air. The girl had a hard time blinking them away without making herself look stupid.

His words had really hit her, and his anger softened after seeing how hurt she was.


"My apologies for my rash behavior earlier," Seulbi breathed after composing herself. Her gaze had grown indifferent, distant. "I should have minded my own business. Next time, I won't in. I'll let you do whatever you want with your life. That's what you'd like, right?"

Sunggyu could live with that decision. There wasn't going to be a next time anyway.

 

<<<<< >>>>>

 

It was inevitable. Cold war was waged between Sunggyu and Seulbi right after that argument. Living in the same residence was making it difficult for them, but they managed to get through the next few days without speak with one another. It had come to a point where they ended up calculating their every move to ensure they wouldn't bump into the other be it at home or in school. Seulbi preoccupied herself with business matters and Sunggyu with the looming D-day of his departure.

"I'll be making my leave now, grandpa," Sunggyu informed the elder after he was through with breakfast one morning. "See you later this evening."

Jungyeop watched as the boy got up and collected his things from the seat next to him. "Alright, you take care, son. I'll see you later as well."

A few minutes after Sunggyu's departure, Seulbi entered the dining room, also dressed to go. She set her school bag down on the seat next to hers before greeting her grandfather with a polite bow. "Good morning, abeonim," she greeted, taking her usual seat at the dining table.

Confused, Jungyeop pointed to the kitchen door before turning back to his granddaughter. "Sunggyu just left for the university. It's Tuesday today, right? 
Don't you have class within the same time? You usually go together."

"Ahh, that. He had something else to attend to, so he needed to leave a bit earlier. That's all," Seulbi dismissed awkwardly as she piled some pancakes onto her breakfast plate.

The two went through the rest of the day not speaking to each other, not even sparing each other glances in the rare moments that they come across each other. But that didn't mean that their consciences weren't bothered the least bit, not at all.

That night, Seulbi found herself by the fountain again, mulling over their argument. Despite pulling him out of trouble, she couldn't do anything if she was the bad guy in his eyes. If his stupid pride wasn't going to back down, then neither should she.

"Is everything alright?" a worried voice inquired.

Seulbi turned around to the direction of the new voice. That night's visitor was a pleasant surprise. "Sungjong?"

Sungjong gave her a sweet smile in response, pointing to the Nam residence. "I couldn't help but notice from my room window, so I came down here to see you. You seem to be very troubled."

Seulbi gestured for him to take a seat beside her. "It's your hyung...  up until now, he still
 shuns us completely. Sometimes I find Woohyun, Hoya, and Yeol irrational, but I don't totally shut them out. Annoying and overprotective as they may be, they're still the first people I trust and run to. Sunggyu, on the other hand, declines help, is untrusting and unwilling to open up despite all the efforts abeonim is doing to make him feel at home. Why though? Aren't we family?"

"A penny for your thoughts?" Sungjong offered, and Seulbi nodded as a sign for him to go on. "Sunggyu-hyung has always been taking care of us little ones. When the opportunity came for Seoul, he grabbed it. He wasn't obliged to help the orphanage out anymore, but he still did wholeheartedly.
He put a lot of expectations on himself, shouldered a lot of burdens by himself. Even if he hasn't eaten or slept in days to slave for money to send back, he never showed it. Even when it was tough, he never complained and only kept things to himself. He didn't want to be an inconvenience or a burden, he didn't want to worry other people either."

"In a way, he's just like me..."

"Then you know in your heart the answer you're looking for. That even if he whines, throws a fit and pushes you away, being patient with him and not leaving his side is what he needs the most. When reality finally hits him, he'll open up and it'll be you whom he's willing to depend on, whom he's willing to show his weak side to."

Sungjong's words were heartfelt and Seulbi nodded, grateful that someone as grouchy as Sunggyu had an understanding friend in Sungjong. "Are you kidding me?" Seulbi chuckled, making light of the conversation. "The guy can't even make it up the first landing of the mansion steps without catching his breath! I've seen too much of his weak side, on the contrary!"

It was at that moment Sunggyu had decided to peer out of his curtains. His gaze landed over to the fountain, where he noticed how Seulbi casually let Sungjong into her personal thinking place. They were even laughing together. With a small scoff, Sunggyu drew the curtains closed and picked up the comic book he had been reading. "I hope you fall in," he muttered under his breath as he made himself comfortable on one of the plush chair.

Minutes later, he heard a loud splash coming from outside, followed by Sungjong's loud cry of "SEULBI!". His jaw dropped, half in surprise, half in amusement. Looks like the universe was on his side in this argument! He had said that as a joke, now he couldn't believe that she actually fell in!

"Seulbi, are you okay?!?" came Sungjong's worried voice. He was probably pulling her up by this time. "You sort of out for awhile there!"

"Yeah, I'm alright. My hand just slipped," came Seulbi's spluttering reply. She let out a miserable set of hacking coughs and they cracked crisply through the still night air. "I might have inhaled some water though."

"Are you sure you're okay? Hold on, I'll go get a towel to help you dry off!"

 

<<<<< >>>>>

 

D-day.

Mulling over it day in and day out had been hard. This one-of-a-kind job was a huge jackpot to anyone who needed the money. Only a fool would be willing to resign and give it all up, to be honest. This would be a huge breach of contract between Woohyun and him, but it wasn't just about the monetary value anymore. He was sacrificing too much of himself and his personal life in exchange.

Sunggyu didn’t take long to finish going around the room and packing all his belongings. He didn't have much in the first place, coming here with nothing but the clothes on his back and a small luggage trolley. He didn't have the heart to take with him the gifts the family had given when they celebrated his birthday. The television had been for background noise so the room wouldn't sound too empty and lonely.

Miss Song Mieun, tycoon heiress of pharmaceutical giant S&C Corporation, has been taken into police custody as of 4:25 AM today after she was found in the possession of illegal drugs. Transactions of illegal drug dealings over the past four years are currently being looked into. Miss Song was also found guilty of drugging people with scopolamine and other crimes such as robbery from unsuspecting victims. Victim X, whose identity is withheld, is currently receiving critical medical attention for drug overdose.

Sunggyu could only stare in horror as the news report continued. If it weren't for Seulbi intervening right on time, he could have been the one embroiled in that drug scandal right now. He felt all the more terrible for putting his trust in the wrong person, for snapping at the heiress when she was only looking out for his safety and well-being. Seulbi deserved to hear a proper apology from him.

Although he sincerely wanted to offer one personally before he left, he figured parting would be easier for the two of them if he left it as they were for now. 

Taking a deep breath, he gave the door to the CEO's study three curt knocks. Instead of being told to come in like he was used to, Lee Jungyeop himself met him at the door, startling Sunggyu. The look he gave him was serious and somewhat confused. Something told Sunggyu that the man was in a hurry and couldn't be kept waiting any longer. Although the timing was bad, he had to pull through. It was now or never.

“Pardon me for taking some of your time, but I-- I… have something important to say to you,” he began.

“If it’s about that, son, I already know."

The elder's surprising admission came in as a shocker. Only Woohyun and him knew about this deal and the two had carefully guarded their secret transactions this time around. Sunggyu wondered about the kind of intel machinery the CEO owned. He already knew? How on earth could anyone remain so collected after finding out his long-lost grandson was a fraud? And if he did, why hasn't he been sent away yet?

“In fact, I’m on my way there now," continued Jungyeop. Indeed, he was dressed to leave the household, albeit rushed. His crisp button down wasn't properly tucked and he only had one sleeve properly cuffed.

Wait, what?

It seems that they had derailed the conversation elsewhere, leaving Sunggyu lost. “Sorry?”

“I’m sorry that this is on such short notice, but do you think you can do me a favour today, son? Call all my business advisers, have them cancel or reschedule all my remaining appointments and board meetings,” Jungyeop told him, his tone urgent. “I’m going to personally pick our Seulbi up from the hotel.”

“Is there a problem?”

“Your cousin fainted while helping out at the Olympus today.”

 

<<<<< >>>>>

 

Sunggyu wasn’t there to see Seulbi arrive home with her grandfather. He was curious about what happened, but his pride wouldn't allow himself to directly ask about the girl’s condition either. Based on the whispers he overheard from the house help and staff, it seemed that Seulbi’s cold had gotten worse and was advised to take bed rest.

The living room was tenporary camp for now. He tried to preoccupy himself with his decision to leave, debating on whether he should just wing it and stick to Plan B, (which entailed running away from the household) or not. “Sunggyu?”

It was Lee Jungyeop who had decided to drop by. Sunggyu looked up from his phone in response to his name being called. “Yes?”

After the acknowledgement, the elderly CEO took his seat on the couch beside Sunggyu. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, but did Seulbi and you get into a serious argument recently?” he asked.

Jungyeop had an eyebrow raised at him while waiting, expectant for an answer. That look told Sunggyu that he wasn’t going to bite any lies. 
He let out a deep breath before making his admission. “Yes.”

"I thought so. I noticed that you two were acting very hostile to each other these past few days but I didn't want to pry because I trust both of you. Your cousin is sick, so try not to give her a hard time, alright?"


“It’s fine now. We’re back to normal.”

“That's good to hear," Jungyeop replied with a relieved smile. Before Sunggyu knew it, a tray had been dumped into his hands by a waiting attendant. It took awhile for his reflexes to recalibrate, but he managed to balance the whole thing without food spilling. "Then would you be so kind to bring her dinner up to her room? Just so she doesn't have to exert herself coming down. Also, kindly see if she might need any help with anything.”


With much hesitation, Sunggyu carried the dinner tray up the stairs over to the opposite wing from his room. He shouldn’t have lied through his teeth. Seulbi and him haven’t spoken ever since their major row. If he passed the job to someone else, Lee Jungyeop would figure that he lied. Sunggyu lost time to stall the moment he reached her bedroom door. He ended up knocking and although it was really soft, the room owner managed to hear it.

“Come in.”

All notions of a pink, fluffy room fit for a princess went down the drain once Sunggyu entered into Lee Seulbi’s room for the first time in his life. It was a loft type similar to his, though the interior arrangement was different. She had a small balcony landing over-looking the bedroom as well, the main area was designed with multi-level flooring. That balcony landing had been converted into a small library and reading corner. From the main floor, one had to walk up a smaller flight of stairs to get to Seulbi's bedroom.

Seulbi was currently lounging on her couch, currently engrossed with an American series she had been watching. On a more important note: she looked perfectly fine! Maybe save for the surgical mask she had on, just to make sure she couldn’t pass on her cough to the rest of the family and household.

Seulbi was surprised that it was Sunggyu who had shown up instead of the usual three but schooled her reaction. She didn’t speak up, and neither did he at first. Clearing his throat, Sunggyu broke the silence between them. “Grandpa specifically asked me to come here and check on you,” he filled in with a flat tone and set the tray with her soup down onto the table. “He also asked me to see if there’s anything I can help you with.”


“Yeah. Can you turn the AC off?” Seulbi requested, kicking back as she turned her attention to the television.

Sunggyu stood lost for a moment. He only asked that to be decent about it and didn't expect that she'd actually request for something. When she started to signal him to move faster by repeatedly snapping her fingers, Sunggyu trudged over to the remote, lifting it off its handle before directing the sensor towards the air conditioner. “What else can I help you with?”

“Water.”

The cheeky little-- not even a 'please' has been uttered from her usually polite mouth. Seulbi was enjoying ordering him around. Grumbling, he took the pitcher of water that had already been set out for her and poured a glass. He served it with no ounce of care for whether the water would spill or not. Seulbi gratefully took the glass and looked at him. “Thank you, your presence is no longer required. You may leave.”


Good riddance! Sunggyu was glad to have been relieved of post, not wanting to put up with her attitude any longer. What was he, her personal butler tasked to wait on her every move?

The moment she was sure that Sunggyu had gone away and out of earshot to his room, Seulbi weakly sunk back into the couch and pulled the duvet over her head. She groaned, wishing the discomfort in and the pounding of her head to go away.



Sunggyu reported back to Jungyeop's study as instructed. The elder looked up from the newspaper he was reading after allowing Sunggyu to enter. “How’s our little duck holding up?”

More like royal pain-in-the-, Sunggyu wanted to groan. “She’s alright, resting. She's watching television as we speak.”

Jungyeop was more than relieved to hear that, but that fact that she had fainted earlier was unsettling on its own. He couldn’t help but worry that something was indeed wrong with his granddaughter. “If you'd be so kind to do so, son, can you do one last check on her again after an hour just to make sure?"

Sunggyu basically sold his soul to the devil the moment he lied to Jungyeop; this was something he could no longer weasel his way out of. That's how he found himself back in her room a good hour later. He had been knocking for a minute but no one responded. So he took it upon himself to enter quietly.

The moment he spotted Seulbi’s dinner and bowl of carrot soup lying cold and untouched, he already sensed that something was wrong. Seulbi was still lazing on the couch, but her condition grew terrible in a span of an hour. Her sweaty bangs had stuck to her forehead; her breathing was quick and shallow, as if she couldn’t get enough air. It didn't take a doctor to tell that she was suffering from a fever. He reached out to check her temperature but Seulbi opened her bleary eyes and swatted his hand away.


“Go away,” Seulbi groaned, burying herself into her pillow. "I'm not sick."

"You're the worst liar in the existence of mankind." Sunggyu
 disobeyed and put a gentle hand over her forehead. This time she didn't push him away.

Seulbi was burning up a pretty high fever and was shaking pretty bad due to chills. Her mask slipped off, revealing bluish tinged lips. She was paler than he last saw her. “This is serious, Seulbi! This isn't something you can just sleep off. Your fever is too high-- I can practically fry an egg on your forehead! We need to take you to a hospital!"


“I’d rather die than be admitted to the hospital,” Seulbi pressed on stubbornly, suppressing a cough that was itching to come out of .

“Well then, would you like me to have Woohyun come over and dote on you instead? Your choice!” Sunggyu threatened.

After giving it much thought, she gave in, sitting up and pulling her blanket over her to ease her chills. “Alright, wake the driver. Tell him to take me to the hospital pronto. Let abeonim know as well, there's no need to inconvenience the rest.

 

Sunggyu decided to use Seulbi's hospital trip as opportunity to sneak out of the Lee mansion and loaded his belongings into the car trunk. After everything was sorted out, he'd leave and dupe them into thinking that he had taken a flight out of the country. It was heartless, he knew, but the desperation was real.

During the whole car ride to the hospital, Seulbi kept her distance, using her jacket as a blanket, though she didn't push him away when he put and replaced the cool washcloth on her forehead to help break her fever. Sunggyu helped answer some pertinent questions as the doctors at hospital ER attended to the Woollim heiress, but kept his distance for most of the time.


"Are you the guardian of Ms. Lee?" a nurse asked as she approached him. Her real relatives weren't here to accompany her to the hospital, so the responsibility automatically fell on Sunggyu. "Follow me, please. The ER blotter has already been signed, but if you'd kindly fill some papers out to process the admission?"

Sunggyu nodded and moved to follow the nurse, but a hesitant, shaky voice had called out to him. "Sunggyu?"

It was Seulbi. She looked like she wanted to say something, so he excused himself from the nurse for awhile and approach bedside. With whatever was left of her strength, she grabbed on to the sleeve of his jacket to make sure he would hear her out. 
"Don't leave," came her shaky plea.

"I have to fill out paperwork so they can wheel you into a room."

"I know, but stay here afterwards. You don't have to be at bedside. Just don't leave."


"I get it. You go on and rest." His answer seemed to have satisfied her for she slowly let go of his sleeve. Sunggyu then followed the waiting nurse to the admission's office window. Now that he had signed papers and left contact information as her legal guardian. Seulbi was finally asleep and breathing easier thanks to the oxygen mask. Some blood samples had already been taken earlier, as well as a chest x-ray. An IV line had also been put in.

"How is Seulbi?" Lee Jungyeop came rushing over in urgent strodes. He looked visibly tired but determined to see through his granddaughter's ordeal. Sunggyu broke into a detailed relay about the instructions he had receive so far. "Alright, thank you for telling me what I needed to know. I'll take over from here now, son. You should rest up."

"But it's late. Your health..."

"I won't be alone. Your Aunt will be here soon to help watch over your cousin, so it's alright. We'll update you on Seulbi's condition first thing tomorrow morning, alright?"

Seulbi wouldn't be disappointed when she woke up that morning and he wasn't there. She wouldn't be alone, she'd have her real grandfather and aunt taking care of her. 
"Shall we still head off to Gimpo Airport, Young Master Sunggyu?" asked the driver, who had been patiently waiting for him this whole time until his return. Sunggyu stared hard at the luggage trolley readied in the back seat.

"No. Let's go home, Raehoon."

He could have been on the next bus back to Jeonju by now-- maybe even Busan to start out a new life and identity there. His resolve had been dead-set. He never let anyone walk over him so easily once he was decided, but it only took one vague plea from the Lee heiress to turn his decision around. Back then, when she had asked him not to leave, it was like she knew about his plan to run, but it was obviously a plea to not leave her alone in the hospital. Her words had hit so close to home, it was hard to deem it as a mere coincidence.

God, Lee Seulbi, why do you always have to be the weird exception?

 

<<<<< >>>>>

 

“H-How’s Seulbi?” Sunggyu asked over breakfast that day. Although he hasn't eaten with her for the past few days, the dining table felt too empty without the plates being set at her usual spot.

“I’m afraid your cousin has come down with a bad case of pneumonia. Her cold brought down her immune system, making her even more susceptible to infection,” Jungyeop regretfully informed him. “The doctor noted some fluid around her lungs on x-ray and suspected it’s bacterial, so she needs to stay in the hospital for awhile for monitoring while she receives treatment. If it rises to dangerous levels, they’ll have to drain it out with invasive procedures."

It was no wonder she looked like she was gasping for breath. Coughing, let alone even breathing must have been excruciating for her. Sunggyu to Jungyeop, who couldn't even bring a smile to his face anymore. "I'm just really worried, son. Our Seulbi has never been this ill.”

"Do Woohyun and the rest know?"

Jungyeop nodded. "I had to break the news down to each of them slowly. You know how overprotective those three get over her-- in fact, they're out buying get-well-soon gifts for her. Would you like to visit Seulbi now, son? I can arrange for the driver to send you there."

Sunggyu brushed the invitation off, saying that he would just visit with Woohyun or the rest... maybe after a few days from now. The hospital room atmosphere would definitely be awkward if the two of them were left alone. He was sure someone as stubborn and iron-willed as Seulbi was going to be fine; there was no need to bumrush to the hospital.

But that didn't stop his curiousity from getting the best of him.


Pneumoniapneumonia…” Sunggyu mumbled over and over, pacing all over his bedroom as he punched his query into the search box. He clicked on the first item that popped up and began skimming through the medical article.

Pneumonia is an infection of the lung... ....Prognosis can range in seriousness from mild to life-threatening based on factors such as age, comorbidities and presenting symptoms.

He thought back to Seulbi’s presenting symptoms, matching it to the checklist on hand. She had everything on that list, spurring a sense of uneasiness within him. Sunggyu decided to brush the ominous feeling aside for now and continued scrolling down the page to read on.

More serious problems may develop, including: fluid around the lung (pleural effusion), infected fluid around the lung (empyema), lung abscesses and life-threatening changes in the lungs that require a breathing machine. In all of the above conditions, pneumonia may lead to death, if severe and if inadequately treated.

After reading all that, blood was roaring in his ears and he felt his heart drop down to the pits of his stomach. "This isn't any reason to be alarmed," Sunggyu told himself in reassurance that there was no urgent need for him to go and visit. "She has the finest doctors overseeing her case. She's admitted in the most state-of-the-art hospital in the entire country, for crying out loud! There's no need to be alarmed." 



A good half-hour later, Sunggyu skidded across the hallway leading to the private admission rooms, almost ramming himself into the nurse’s information desk in his hurry. No one responded when he messaged about Seulbi's room number, so he was forced to leech information off the nurses' station. "Hi!" he gasped, unable to catch his breath. "I'm looking for a patient Lee? She was admitted at early dawn today."

The doctor at the nurses station looked up from the charts he was reading. 
"Ah, patient Lee, yes. I'm the resident doctor handling her case. Are you an acquaintance of hers?"

Acquaintance. That was one way of putting it. Sunggyu nodded in response, leaning over the table counter. "How is she, doctor?"

"I'm sorry to say that she's not doing too well since she's reached critical state. We've tried all possible interventions deemed best for the patient, but the medicines can only do so much to ease her symptoms."

"Wh-What do you mean?" Sunggyu stammered, unable to believe the news. "You can't just let her-- You have to do something about it!"

"
I'm afraid after exploiting all possible methods, there's nothing more we can do, sir. The family has already signed a 'Do Not Resuscitate' waiver. Rest assured, we will continue to give our best palliative care as we see through the patient's case," the doctor regretfully informed, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

Sunggyu overcame his temporary grief to mind his phone buzzing in his back pocket. It was an SMS from Sungyeol.

Room 408. Abeonim told me you rushed to the hospital on your own, but I'll be there in a few seconds.

Gritting his teeth, Sunggyu broke into another run, turning sharp corners to get to the room. What he saw shocked him more. A white sheet was draped over Seulbi's entire figure, her face covered from view. She lay very still and didn't stir even when he had slammed the door open. Even if his knees felt like giving way in disbelief, Sunggyu warily approached her bedside.

"You're the worst, Lee Seulbi. You can't be dead. You can't! This isn't like you!" Sunggyu began, his voice cracking even if he tried to keep himself together. "This is my fault. If it weren't for me wishing for your dive into the fountain, you wouldn't have--"

“Ummm, hyung? That’s not what it looks like.”

“Holy—" Sunggyu jumped, almost cursing when a familiar face and his very gummy smile entered his field of vision. Preoccupied with his morbid thoughts, he didn't notice Sungyeol slipping into the room. "You almost gave me a heart attack! This—“ he ended up stuttering and pointing from Seulbi’s draped figure back to a calm Sungyeol. “You—“

“I’m sorry, were you freaked out?” Sungyeol asked, scratching his head. “That’s one of Seulbi’s weird sleeping mannerism. She likes pulling the blankets over her head & rolling herself into a cocoon-- she literally sleeps like the dead."

While Sungyeol continued to ramble on about Seulbi's creepy sleeping quirks, Sunggyu felt dumber and dumber by the second. In his embarrassment, he wanted to strangle the girl awake for unnecessarily scaring his heart like this. If only she weren't sick.

"Funny though, Seulbi usually can’t get a wink of sleep without her favourite blanket. It must have really taken a toll on her,” Sungyeol added, holding up a knitted striped dark blue and white blanket, which vaguely reminded Sunggyu of the sea. The red little embroidered anchor design at the corner only confirmed his thoughts.


"I also brought along a bunch of other stuff." In after Sungyeol came a whole barrage of balloons and streamers that had "Get Well Soon" on them, giant greeting cards, flowers, teddybears-- all pitched in by the three cousins. Sunggyu wasn't sure if he was still looking at a hospital room or a gift shop.

"What on earth is happening?" a groggy Seulbi spoke up. She had peered out of her blanket, awoken by the noise of people moving in and out of the room. The amount of flowers she had received was overwhelming enough to make her sit up from her bed.

Sungyeol's eyes lit up in glee. "Good morning, sunshine! Prince Yeollie is here to watch over your recovery! Sunggyu-hyung too! How are you feeling?"

"Better. Did you have to buy so much stuff?" Seulbi groaned as she managed to sit up, particularly disgruntled at the aluminum balloons that had Sungyeol's face printed on them. "I'm already okay."

"I'll believe it when that comes directly from the mouth of your attending physician. So for now, let Prince Yeollie pamper and nurse you back to health!" her tallest cousin exclaimed. Seulbi could only groan in defeat and sink back into her pillows. "By the way, Bee, you should really learn to stop putting your blanket over your head, especially if it's white. Sunggyu-hyung was about to say a whole eulogy before I stopped him."

"SUNGYEOL--" Sunggyu intended to threaten the guy to keep his mouth shut but it was too late. Seulbi had cracked a small teasing smile before quiet laughter racked her thin frame. She was still careful to avoid exerting her lung capacity now that she was sick, but she couldn't help but laugh nonetheless. "LAUGH ALL YOU WANT!" he gritted. "THE DOCTOR SAID THAT PATIENT LEE WAS TERMINAL!"

Seulbi brought a finger to her lips, signalling him to tone it down. "That's the patient next door who was admitted at the same time as me."

Well, they weren't exactly back to normal, but it was a start. Although Seulbi was asleep most of the time, having Sungyeol around made it easier. He couldn't imagine how he was supposed to respond to nurse queries when they came in to monitor Seulbi's vitals, nor coax her to eat, nor accompany her to the bathroom.

"Yeol, I want juice," Seulbi requested. She had nothing but capsules and water in between meals and she wanted to wash off the disgusting aftertaste in .

Sungyeol raised a questioning eyebrow at her request. "Are you even allowed to drink that?"

"Just one box!" the girl bargained, putting her hands together. "Please?"

"This is all a deliberate plot to send me away! Not falling for it one bit!" Sungyeol cackled, turning to the older guy who was lounging on the couch with his legs crossed. "Hyung, Seulbi wants some juice!"

"Why don't you go and get it yourself..." Sunggyu mumbled under his breath before it hit him. This was his chance to escape the weird awkwardness of the room, even momentarily. "... is what I wouldn't say even after you half-yelled orders to your hyung. I'll get it, no problem!"

 

<<<<< >>>>>

 

“L-ah, did you hear the news? I heard from a friend of a friend that his friend’s cousin has a friend who has a friend who works at Samsung Medical Center--”

“Kyungjong. Get to the point please,” Myungsoo responded to the caller on the phone as he continued analyzing the long list of tasks he was holding. "I'm attending to some important matters right now."

“The princess is sick!” Myungsoo frowned upon hearing the news from Kyungjong’s mouth. He didn't have to take second guesses on whom he was referring to; the only girl the guys of Eye Candy openly called 'princess' was Lee Seulbi. It only confirmed the suspicion he's been having since early dawn that day. “Won't you go and visit her?”

With Nam Woohyun and the rest as her watchdogs, it wasn't like he could waltz in so easily. “You know I can't do that anymore. You know how her family and mine are.”

"I know, L. B-B-But... but the hearsay is that it's critical!"

"Although I hate to admit, Woollim is very careful with their press releases. They keep private matters like that to themselves," Myungsoo excused. He didn't have any doubts in his mind that she would bounce back from this. "Lee Seulbi, stubborn and iron-willed to a fault, won't succumb to illness so easily. Don't doubt it."

"That," Kyungjong replied over the line, "is the nicest thing you've ever said about her since the whole riff between the two of you started."

"Don't read into it too much. I'm just being civil."

After ending their phone conversation, Myungsoo sighed as he grabbed the nearest empty shopping cart, once again looking at matter on hand-- a lengthy grocery list. His heir duties kept him busy from doing a lot of the things he liked and used to do independently, so volunteering to do the groceries for the family was pretty much the only stress-reliever he had left. As much as possible, he didn't want to be bothered while on the task.

Sunggyu was frowning as he entered the nearest E!Mart branch in Gangnam District, still on Seulbi's juice errand. Said brand of juice was not in stock at the hospital vending machine nor cafeteria, forcing him to come all the way here.

To his surprise, Kim Myungsoo was here as well. He was pushing a shopping cart while reading off a rather lengthy grocery list. Talk about multi-tasking.

Sunggyu had forgotten all about Seulbi's requested juice box momentarily, his interests vested in tailing the Jeguk heir around. It was a big surprise to learn that Myungsoo actually knew his way around the grocery despite the occasional requests for assistance. Sunggyu guessed it was groceries for the household, but the heir wasn't the least bit clueless. He knew how to select good bargains, pick out the best vegetables, fruits and meat pieces of the pile. (Thoughts also drifted to compare a certain heiress who thought that the grocery was a garden hedge maze.)

Myungsoo, sensing that he was being followed around, managed to recognize Sunggyu. "What are you doing here?" he sighed.

Sunggyu stepped out from the mini shelf display he was hiding behind, passing it off as if he was checking the display of canned beans out. "What, it's not like you own the entire Gangnam District. Can't I do my groceries here as well?"

For a grandkid of Woollim, his speech and mannerisms were unconventional, not at all like the other four given his rough upbringing. But Myungsoo could tell then when polished enough, Sunggyu was going to be a force to reckon with in the near future. 

"Seulbi's sick," Sunggyu tested, gauging for a reaction from L. His facial expression remain unchanged, as if this was no longer news to him. "I thought you might want to know."

"So I've heard, in fact, around ten times. You followed me all the way here to tell me that? Aren't you supposed to be at the hospital?"

"Juice errand?" Sunggyu reminded him. "Besides Sungyeol is there with her."

"Freshly-pressed orange juice, fruit stand, end of aisle twelve. Are we done?" Myungsoo answered in a heartbeat, pushing his cart in the opposite direction to signify the end of their conversation. "You left the flagpole to watch over her? I won't even be surprised if she ends up hailing down the first cab that will take her straight to the Han River despite her condition.”

Sunggyu's jaw dropped. Although she was under the careful watch of Sungyeol, he couldn't deny that there was a small part of Seulbi that was crazy enough to do that if she had the opening. "You scold her then! She only listens to you! Hey--"

“She’s not my responsibility."

 

<<<<< >>>>>

 

The inevitable couldn't be avoided. Finally, it was Sunggyu's dreaded turn to watch over at her hospital room, and now that her fever had gone down, she wasn't going to be asleep for most of the time. That gave them a lot of time to sort their individual problems out... if they could muster up the courage to talk about it. The first hour was awkward, with Sunggyu just lazily flipping through channels and Seulbi scanning photos on her DSLR. Not one said a word to the other.

Seulbi was the one to break the long silence. And the first few words she said to Sunggyu were: "Bust me out of here."


"Are you crazy?!?" he gasped. "You're attached to a fricking IV line. You're a sick patient, for pete's sake!"

"If I stay couped up in here another day more, I'll die!" came Seulbi's tantrum-like whine. Sunggyu had come to the conclusion that she was delusional. It was the fever's aftermath that had resulted into this delusional state of hers. He could never dare to bring Seulbi out no matter how much she pleaded. The CEO will have his head, Woohyun will have his head, the whole medical board of the hospital will have his head. Sneaking her out of the hospital was Mission:Impossible.

 

 

"Han River!" Seulbi squealed in glee as she jogged towards the river walk with her camera bag in tow, spreading her arms wide. She took off her face mask, breathing in the fresh air for the first time in a few days.

"I'm not sure if you should be doing this," Sunggyu told her. "I'm not sure if you should be waving your arms like that with an IV canula still lodged in your vein. The blood will spill." He couldn't help but shiver at the thought of them rushing back to the emergency room with Seulbi's hand spurting blood here and there like a fountain.

"Relax. It's sterile-locked, remember? Besides, I'm already here!" Seulbi chirped. "Just give me ten minutes please, and we'll be back a good hour before the nurse comes in to check my temperature again."

Her DSLR had been whipped out, ready to capture pictures of the afternoon and the sunset. Sunggyu decided to leave her to her own devices, making his way towards the nearby vending machine. Every now and then, he was on the lookout for anyone that might recognize the runaway patient. The IV lock had been Seulbi's plan since day one, but sneaking her out through the fire escape was all credited to him. He'd gone home against medical advice several times that way-- the last time that happened, he had pretended to be run over by Seulbi's car.

This was practically why the little devil's spawn had been waiting for this day to rope-slash-bully him into her evil plan. She knew what he was capable of and decided to use it to her advantage.


Seulbi, casually seated on one of the steps for a better angle, had her camera aimed at the scenery before her, with the setting sun, the bridge's silhouette, and the rest of Gangnam at the background. The resulting shot was a lovely mesh of yellows and oranges and browns which brought about a sense of serenity. She was reviewing some more of the snapshots she had taken when something cold was pressed against her cheek.

"Mine?" she asked, staring at the can of cola in Sunggyu's hand.


"Only if you don't rat me out to Sungyeol," Sunggyu hummed in response as he sat beside her.

"I won't, I won't! Thank you," Seulbi promised as she accepted the canned drink. The two clinked cans in a toast before taking a refreshing sip. "It was a long shot, but thank you for bringing me here."

"Please, don't thank me. You bullied your way through to escape from the hospital."

"Hmmm, true. But how did you know I wanted to come here?"


He couldn't outright credit Myungsoo for instilling the idea in his head. "I had Grade B evidence from ye olde grape vine," Sunggyu replied, choosing a safe response. Seulbi only gave him a small smile, as if she had that figured out already.

For the remainder of the time, it was quiet between them but it wasn't the awkward kind anymore and they were both thankful to just enjoy the sunset and the outdoors peacefully. Sunggyu guessed that it was the little adventure to the river park that helped ease the tension between them. "Not to be a killjoy or anything, but ten minutes are up. We should be heading back," Sunggyu announced. "It's harder to sneak you back into the hospital, mind you."

Seulbi had no qualms about that, but as they stood up, she held him back a little. "Memory's almost full, but I still have a slot for one more snap. I think this day deserves a commemoration photo. Say cheese!"

"What?"

It was an off-guard moment for Sunggyu when the heiress had snapped the photo. The last rays of sunlight for the day made their faces glow golden. Seulbi's beam was bright and lively. On the other hand, it wasn't Sunggyu's best smile, he looked like he had been blinded by headlights. "I'm keeping this," she announced.

Sunggyu was pouting, extremely upset at the turn-out. "But my eyes are extra tiny."

"Your eyes ARE extra tiny! But they're cute, so don't be mad anymore!" Seulbi chortled, laughing even more when he crossed his arms over his chest and pretended to walk out on her. 
"Hey, Myung--"

Sunggyu continued walking, pretending that he hadn't heard a thing, but in reality, he had caught her little slip. She had called out for Kim Myungsoo, but she caught herself. Although he had his back turned to her, he could tell that she was observing him nervously to see if he noticed.

"Sunggyu, wait up!"

 

<<<<< >>>>>

 

“This is what you get for being a delinquent child. You shouldn’t have pushed yourself too hard today," Sunggyu tutted as he handed a mug over to her. "Drink up. It's honey lemon tea. Sister Minyu used to make that for me whenever I got sick. It didn't poison it!” To prove his point, he took a small sip from it.

Seulbi only managed a sick, apologetic cough in response before accepting the warm mug.  "This is... unlikely of you. You're normally not this nice," Seulbi continued after a small sip. “You’re nice to everyone except me.”

"Although it's not everyday I play servant boy, I AM nice to you! You just refuse to see it. Geez, for a sick person, you sure are talkative."

"I'm feverish and delusional. Of course I need to talk it out before I go crazy in my head." Seulbi set her finished mug down on the bedside table, watching in amusement as Sunggyu put the extra blanket Sungyeol had brought over his face, trying to find a comfortable position for himself to nap in. “You’re right. I have been too doting on you.”

His reply came in as a surprise to her. "I should be the apologetic one here. I was wrong this time. I didn't hear you out. There were horrible things I also said out of misjudgement," Sunggyu mumbled, unable to look her out of guilt. "I'm sorry."

"What was that?"

Sunggyu sat up from the couch. "I'm sorry," he repeated.

"I know." Seulbi replied as she sunk back into the comfort of her bed. Although her eyes were now closed, that smug smile of hers still graced her face. "I heard you right the first time. I just wanted to hear you say it again. I've already forgiven you a long time ago, if you were wondering."

Sunggyu scowled (half-heartedly) at the girl's cheeky antics. "You know, if you weren't sick, I'd strangle you."

"You won't, I'm sure. You're nice to only me after all."

In just a few minutes, Seulbi had dozed off, tired from the day's adventure. "Did I bore you that much?" Sunggyu sighed as he got up from the couch. "Prim-and-proper heiress on the outside, but the real you is free-spirited... a bit on the reckless side, even. Believe it or not, you're the one that needs taking care of."

"Even sleeping with her phone at bedside," he tutted. There were a few calls from Woohyun, who most likely phoned in to check, but the heiress had left her phone when they went off to the Han River. Although he didn't mean to pry, tapping led him to the contact log. There were a series of unanswered calls made to 'Soo' on the night she was rushed to the hospital, and Sunggyu noted that they were during the time he had gone off to fill out papers. Seulbi had really meant it when she didn't want to be left alone. With no one physically present, she turned to the person she deemed closest: Kim Myungsoo.

So that explains why the guy's rather cryptic message at the grocery, and why he wasn't so surprised about the news anymore. Not wanting to look into it further, he also set the phone on her bedside table.


Lim Kim - Without Knowing It All
Seulbi shifted in her sleep. Her usual detached, serious expression was replaced with a soft look of contentment, her lips pulling up into a smile. Sunggyu thought that it suited her more, that it was more herself when she was relaxed and carefree like this. It must have been a nice dream if she was smiling purely and he could only wonder. Sunggyu didn't want to do anything to disturb her. The longer she was able to sleep peacefully like that, the better. He tucked her blanket in so she wouldn’t wake up from the cold.

Myungsoo…” Seulbi mumbled in her stuporous state.

It was at that very moment when he put two and two together. Sunggyu finally understood. Seulbi’s feelings for her childhood best friend ran deeper than anyone thought they did.


A/N: GASP! I bet some of you saw that Seulbi --> Myungsoo line coming though, but this chapter definitely confirms the one-way attraction. Forgive me, Gyulbi shippers, for now. <3 <3 <3 Hmmm, to be honest this was one of the most difficult chapters for me to write, the characterization feels slightly off and loosely-written no matter how much I write and re-write it. I also hope the pacing wasn't too fast, the events were coherent and clear... I don't know. I do really really hope it turned out alright and not wtf-ish. Constructive criticism is very much appreciated. Even so, I hope to see you guys next update! :)

PS: This picture sums up every Inspirit waiting every night until May 9th. Woohyun's solo, come sooner, please!