one

Bluff!

♧ ONE ♧


LED lights were flashing as the last few electric guitar chords and drum beats rang through the whole arena. Kim Sunggyu, clad in his metal-studded leather jacket, ripped black jeans and strapped boots, had just finished one of his most charismatic rock stages to date-- a multi-million worth concert production which raked in multi-millions as well and thousands of new adoring fans. He had currently ended a screamo number that the crowd went completely wild for, soon cheering for an encore performance to his encore performance. A bunch of scantily clad women started taking off their barely existent tees, displaying a little shirt-whirling action before throwing them on stage in high hopes that he caught them for him to wipe his sweat on or something.

As the lights were finally coming down to a slow dim, he decided to just close his eyes and bask in the remaining moments of glory and fame, and obviously, this would continue on as he retired later tonight at the high-end mansion he lived in-- the Blue House couldn't even hold a candle to his abode. He could almost smell the scent of all the money that he would be rolling in happily soon. Now that his hearing was better focused, he could now pick out particular screams from fangirls that stood out and made his ego swell considerably.

“SUNGGYU, YOU’RE SO HANDSOME!”
“SUNGGYU, PLEASE BE MINE FOREVER! MARRY ME, PLEASE?!?”
“MY BODY IS READY, KIM SUNGGYU! LET ME HAVE YOUR BABIES!”

A unique one caught his attention after an attempt to thoroughly listen. It started out as something very inaudible and grew louder and louder as the seconds passed, yet he could barely make out nor comprehend what these words were. It was distinct from the rest, not only because it was rather repetitive, but because it was a pitch lower. Scratch that, three pitches lower-- that voice definitely belonged to a male. And it sounded like it was coming from the back of his head.

Wake... up?

 

"Sunggyu, WAKE UP!"

"YES, YES! I'M AWAKE! I'M AWAKE!" His eyes automatically shot open. His co-worker, Lee Byunghyun, was now hovering over him, observing his sleeping nature in amusement. His presence there only meant that his shift was almost over. "Jesus Christ, Byunghyun, did you really have to yell in my ear?"

"I had to or you would have spent the whole night asleep in the back alley, regardless if it rained or not. Not like the boss would have minded. He can't even tell if you're awake or asleep because you have coin slits for eyes."

Playfully, Sunggyu threw the wet rag he had been holding this whole time towards his colleague, unfortunately missing his face in the process due to bad aiming. "Big words from someone who has to procure an ID every time he comes to work just to validate his age. Is it hard being such a midget, Byunghyun?"

"If you had my 12 to 6 AM shift, you'd be this vertically-challenged too. Now shut it and clean up so I can take over already."

Yawning, Sunggyu quickly got up, yanking his apron off and hanging it on the rack as he made his way back into the kitchen. His heavy duty dishwashing gloves were perfectly tossed into the nearest sink and after wringing his hands once, he had also proceeded to taking off his bandana, carefully pocketing it. Byunghyun had put his own gear on as he followed after him.

"I take it, you were having a good dream? Makes me curious to find out what you were dreaming about. At one bit, you just started drooling profusely in your sleep. I hope to God it wasn't something lewd."

Sunggyu casually picked up the nearest mop to use as a stand-in for a microphone. "Kim Sunggyu the rockstar. I'll be living the high life in my multi-million mansion, driving around in as many luxury cars as possible and rolling in trillions and billions of won from recording grants and royalties. Don't you think it suits me?"

"You? A rockstar? Can you even sing in the first place?"

Sunggyu's small eyes narrowed even further. "I was part of a band back in highschool, Lee Byunghyun."

"Sure. But where is it now? Reality check, you're completely mental, Kim Sunggyu! Keep dreaming!" Byunghyun snorted. Sunggyu couldn't even spare a moment to feel the least bit dejected. Surely, this wasn't the first time he's heard wishful thinking like this getting shot down; he was practically used to it by now. "Anyway, could you bring the last couple of clean glasses in for me while I settle in? You can leave then."

"Sure thing."

With that, he picked up the tray of clean glasses and slipped back into the bar, restocking each and every shelf which contained glasses of different kinds. Once he had finished, he was surprised to find two girls waiting patiently for him to finish.

"Hi, are you the bartender here?"

"Um, no. Sorry." Where was Bob in the first place and why wasn't he manning the bar?

It seems like they weren't listening to his reply and leaned forward. Sunggyu caught a strong whiff of alcohol coming from them. These two were smelling like they've soaked themselves in an alcohol-filled bath before making their way here to the bar counter. How much exactly had they been drinking? And this early? "We wanted something a bit light this time around," one of the girls giggled. "Any cocktails you could recommend to us?"

No one else was here, which practically left him with no choice but to play along. Well, he couldn't be choosy. Top of the line customer service should always be a priority, irregardless of financial or social status.

"For you two lovely ladies, I would recommend a Zombie. It still has that hit of alcohol, but not as bad as your hard liquor," he grinned. He had suggested that in particular because one, it's the only drink he's seen the bartender prepare several times now so he could practically replicate it with his eyes closed, and two, despite working in a bar for quite awhile now, that was practically the only mixed drink he was familiar with. The two nodded in agreement to his choice and he set to work immediately before Bob could even come back and make a total embarrassment out of him.

He guessed they found his look of concentration endearing because one of them had spoken up about it. "You're cute. What's your name?"

"Byunghyun," Sunggyu lied, flashing his best eye smile whilst pouring the finished cocktail into two tall glasses. He had to take precautionary measures just in case he got into trouble for poisoning due to the making up the wrong mixture. Seeing that they were extremely drunk, they probably wouldn't remember his face anyway. Let alone even read his nameplate.

"Sorry, I'm too tipsy to read the menu for the price," one of the girls giggled. Bingo. "How much is it again?"

"Since it's the club's special, that would be 40,000 won each, but since you two are extra gorgeous, I'll let you have it at 25,000. The rest is on the house."

"Aww, he's so sweet!"

"Really cute too! We should give him a little something... extra, Hara. "

The girl called Hara grabbed a ply of tissue from the nearby rack and began jotting down things-- a phone number, Sunggyu soon realized. "Call me later, alright, Byunghyun?" she whispered in the most sultry-sounding voice she could muster, slowly ing the top of his polo before slipping the tissue ply into his shirt together with the payment for the drinks. She had also slipped in another extra bill, it lightly against his chest. Was she trying to seduce him? Because it was such a sad attempt and she was really doing just the opposite.

Politely, he shied away from the awkward touching and thanked them, telling them to enjoy their drinks. Giggling, the two girls brought their drinks to a table elsewhere, probably to down it all before going back to dancing.

Sunggyu stuck his tongue out in glee. He had just earned himself an extra 40,000 won without having to do much. Truth be told, the drink that he had recommended for them had only cost about 10,000 each. Not to mention the extra 10,000 tip. Quickly, he pocketed the money and turned to make his getaway before anyone else could notice. And that was just that. Another tiring day of work was over.

The streets of Hongdae were still very much alive with dancing lights, music, and people. He couldn't help but grow jealous of the fact that some people just had it better than he did. Byunghyun was right. He needed a reality check-- he was a convenience store cashier and barbecue grill waiter by day, bar bus boy and dishwasher by night. Before that, he had tried his hand at working at a bakery and a coffee shop before realizing that the pay wasn't enough even with the two of them combined. As much as he'd like to be rockstar Kim Sunggyu in his dreams, well that probably wasn't happening unless he got a miraculous big break elsewhere. Winning the nationwide lottery looked like a piece of cake compared to that. 

By the time he had gotten to his bleak, rundown rooftop apartment (where he lived alone), it was nearing one in the morning. He didn't even bother changing into house clothes and immediately plopped down onto his bed in his exhaustion. With the last amount of wakeful strength he could muster, he put his headphones on, plugging it to his phone. Brandon Flowers from The Killers started crooning into his ears, lulling him into a restful slumber.

 

<<<< >>>>

 

Screaming was what had woken him up first thing in the morning, not his alarm. Did he forget to turn off his phone? Groggy, Sunggyu checked the said device to find the music player shut and his headphones tossed to one corner of his bed, which he normally did before he was really about to go to sleep.

"YAH! KIM SUNGGYU! THE MOMENT I GET MY HANDS ON YOU, I SWEAR I'LL RIP YOU TO SHREDS, YOU SCUMBAG!"

That was certainly not Metallica or any one of the metal tracks stored on his phone. Sunggyu gulped. His landlady was currently outside, pounding away on his front door.

"I know you're still in there!" she screeched loud enough to wake the dead. "It's practically the third week of January already and you have yet to pay your rent! I have had it with you-- you're practically three weeks delayed by now, you punk!"

This hasn't been the first time that his landlady went ape crazy because his unfaithfulness in paying his dues. Many times he had reasoned that his job never paid regularly and that if she really wanted to, he could pay it little by little, but still she insisted on lump sum or nothing. Her own misery with regard to the rent was self-imposed, so why was she even complaining in the first place?

If he ignored her long enough, maybe she'd get tired this time around and just go away. He had already taken a bath and changed into his work uniform and the crazed landlady was still hammering her heavy fist down his front door, now threatening to break it down if he didn't open it in five minutes.

"I have mouths to feed, Kim Sunggyu!"

Not my fault you weren't able practice proper birth control. Besides, don't we all have mouths to feed? Your excuse is invalid, he thought, grabbing a piece of yesterday's leftover toast before making his way back to bathroom, hopping out the bathroom window located at the back of the rooftop apartment and jogging down to the street via the fire escape, unbeknownst to his yelling landlady waiting to pounce at him at the front.

"Have fun talking to my door," he waved nonchalantly. And that was just that. Off to just another tiring day of work.

 

<<<< >>>>

 

A sleek black sedan came pulling up the driveway, just in time for the red carpet to be rolled out for the person on board. Hotel staff and guards began lining up at the main entrance as the car came to a complete stop.

"Good morning, agassi," they all greeted with a respectful bow.

Out stepped Lee Seulbi, only granddaughter and the youngest grandchild of the Lee family who owned current five star hotel she had just arrived at. The Olympus was today's venue for one of the year's biggest gathering of businessmen and company owners alike. The lobby interior was bustling with people here and there. Manpower was needed to keep everything flowing smoothly and Seulbi knew better than to keep these staff members doting on her for long. "Thank you all. It's alright, I can handle things by myself. You may now rise and resume your previous tasks."

Mari, the Lee family's secretary came out to personally greet her. Seulbi acknowledged her presence before speaking, "Good morning, Miss Mari, my apologies for my delay. Have my cousins arrived already?"

"Yes, the three young masters are already at the venue, agassi, doing last minute preparations and greeting the guests."

Seulbi sighed. Those three muchachos she called cousins wouldn't let her hear the end of it the moment they saw her-- after all, this was practically the first time she was running late, and for a big event like this too. "And our birthday boy?"

"The CEO is in the presidential suite getting ready, young miss. Shall I accompany you to him?"

"It's okay, I can see myself in. Thank you."

The elevator ride to the presidential suite floor didn't take too long. Seulbi gave a curt knock on the polished oak doors before she had heard the mechanical click of the automatic lock opening. Her grandfather was currently seated in one of lounge chairs by the window. Making her presence known, she greeted him with a polite 90-degree bow. "Good morning, Abeonim. I apologize for being late. The flight from Hongkong got delayed and the traffic from the airport was really bad, and-- Abeonim, something seems to be bothering you? Is that why you haven't gone down stairs yet? Most of the guests have already arrived."

Lee Jungyeop, CEO and founder of Woollim Group only chuckled, getting up from his seat. "No reason in particular. I was just waiting for my granddaughter to arrive. How was Hongkong? Have you rested well?"

“Splendid as usual, but it wasn't as fun without you or the guys. I've rested well enough, thank you, but look at our birthday boy. Because you're looking this glum on your very special day, one would really worry." Seulbi reached over to gently brush away a few graying strands of hair dangling on his forehead before proceeding to straighten his tie.

"Ah, nearing sixty years of age makes one feel rather nostalgic, doesn't it? Before, it was I who used to tie your hair into a pretty ponytail... I who used to fix the boys' neckties. It was I who used to organize all your birthday parties when you were all younger and now look at all of you doing the same for me! All of you have grown up so wonderfully, it makes me so proud!"

"Of course. It's because we all take after our charming grandfather-- you're still so handsome, it's like you haven't aged a day! Happiest of birthdays to you, Abeonim!" she smiled in affection, wrapping her arms around his waist for a hug, which he lovingly returned. "Now, shall we go? Those birthday candles won't blow themselves."

The grandest hotel function room had taken on an all-golden ensemble, from curtains down to table pieces. The venue was already teeming with esteemed guests as grandfather and granddaughter walked in with arms linked around the other's. People had stopped to shake Jungyeop's hand and wish him well on his birthday, a number also paying compliments to Seulbi, noting how much she had grown since the last time they saw her. True enough, the last time she had seen most of these people was when she was ten years old.

Her grandfather smiled as he set his eyes on one particular table, where a group of handsome young gentlemen in sleek, well-tailored suits were patiently waiting for their arrival. Jovially, he took long strides to get there, with Seulbi quick to follow.

"Abeonim," the three quickly bowed, grinning at their grandfather once they had straightened up. One by one, they all approached to give him a big hug. "Happy Birthday!"

"Thank you boys! You've done such a splendid job with the whole event, I'm impressed!"

Nam Woohyun, eldest of the pack, smiled with much endearment as his grandfather continued to observe the area with a look of wonder. "It's only thanks to the many people that helped us make this possible for you. We would have wanted for it to be a surprise though but it proved to be quite challenging even with the four of us combined. Abeonim always seems to know when something's up and you're always completely spot on!"

"I'm sorry to disappoint, my boy, but that is just skill you hone from watching over two generations of rowdy yet ingenious children. Now Seulbi, dear, if you don't mind, I shall be leaving you in the care of the boys for the mean time while your aunts, uncles and I attend to our guests."

"Yes, Abeonim. We'll see you later," the girl called after him. Once her grandfather was out of ear shot, she sighed and turned back to finally face them. One thing was for sure, she did not like the look of that sinister smile on Nam Woohyun's face.

Bracing herself in 3...2...1...

"Cupcake, I missed you!"

Woohyun's formal decorum from earlier had completely snapped as though he was possessed by an entirely different persona. So had Seulbi's poise as she tried to pry her cousin off of her-- he was glomping her by now and had latched on like a koala refusing to let go of his beloved eucalyptus tree. "Get it off! Somebody please get it off me!"

"Alright hyung, that's enough. Future business partners and colleagues are watching, let's try to leave a good impression on everyone," the tallest one and the youngest of the boys, Lee Sungyeol, piped, prying the elder one off (with much difficulty). Seulbi's mood had completely soured after that, unamused that she had been called 'cupcake' in public.

"Hey Bee. Smile a little," Lee Howon, second of the Lee cousins and Sungyeol's older brother, chuckled. "It's Grandfather's birthday celebration and it's a bit weird to see his one and only granddaughter looking rather grumpy. They'll think you're a complete party pooper."

"Hey yourself. Kindly tell your cousin to lay off the y nicknames. Or you could burn him at stake too. Then maybe I'll start smiling."

"Sweet pea, how could you say things like that to your beloved oppa?" Woohyun wailed.

"Woohyun, just go away, will you? You're making things worse," Hoya yelped, pushing the older one aside. "At least for Howon-oppa?" Seulbi showed him a rather toothy grin in response. "Cute. That's more I like it."

"How was Hongkong? Was your flight okay?" Sungyeol asked, bombarding her with more questions as the seconds passed. "You must be tired, would you like to rest up first?"

Groaning inwardly at their excessive doting, Seulbi decided to direct their conversation to something else. "I see you've ditched the nerd glasses in public today, Yeol."

"I know right?!?" the other two boys exclaimed, complaining how awkward it was the moment he had stepped out of the dressing room in his suit. It was just really unusual seeing their cousin without glasses on.

"Do I really look that lame?!? Come on, tell me! I'll never wear contacts again if that's the case!"

Later the family table had been rejoined by Woohyun's and the Lee siblings' parents and Jungyeop, ceasing all form of friendly banter among the cousins. When most of the lunch dining was over, Lee Jungyeop stood up and called everyone to attention, clinking his wine glass. The whole venue grew silent as everyone was all ears on what the CEO had to say.

"I thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to join us this afternoon. Today is not only a celebration of life... but also of family and of friendship. It has been a great honor working with all of you in one way or another and all these years in the business has granted me more than enough opportunity to learn a lot from each and everyone you. What started out as a small family inn business grew to be one of the most largest hotel and resorts chain not only in Korea, but worldwide-- all of you have become part of the success of Woollim. Moreover, I would like to extend my sincerest thank you for the heartfelt care that you showed not only for me, but for all of the members of my family, especially during times of great sadness and need."

Seulbi could not help but bow her head even lower as all eyes fell on her momentarily.

"Woollim, to me, can be likened to my children. I will continue to love it, in its ups and downs, wrongs and rights. Like any loving father, I know its full potential has not yet been reached. I would like to see Woollim grow, achieve greater heights and become the best it could ever be. It is on that note that I am taking this opportunity to announce my gradual retirement from this company. I believe it is high time for Woollim to turn over a new leaf in life-- for the next generation to take over, don't you think? My children and I have talked the matter over and it is my pleasure to give to you the future CEO and heir to the whole of Woollim. My pride and joy... Lee Seulbi."

The news hit her like a speeding bullet train. If she could, she would have been gaping in utter confusion right now but decided to completely school it, seeing this was a social gathering. The cameras were now focused towards her, her face now appearing on the giant projection screens inside and outside the venue. Her grandfather, aunts and uncles gave her reassuring nods. Woohyun, Hoya, and Sungyeol were beaming at her (with Hoya casually reminding her to smile every now and then).

A microphone was suddenly passed towards her. Great, they wanted her to say a couple words of acceptance too and her mind was totally not cooperating with her! It was practically blanker than a blank slate as of the moment. People were now looking at her expectantly so she just started yapping away to get the conversation going.

"I would have wanted to prepare something short to say to all of you but I guess I wasn't given any sort of heads up. I'm at a complete loss for words. I'm sorry, I really don't know what to say." She must have sounded so foolish for the whole congregation started laughing heartily. "All my life, I've stood on the shoulders of giants--Abeonim, aunties and uncles, Woohyun, Howon, Sungyeol... really, thank you for acknowledging me and I really wouldn't be what I am today without all of you, but--"

She was unable to finish her speech. A whole multitude of congratulatory handshakes and pats on the shoulder were thrown her way while she continued to stand there in a daze. Her grandfather could only look on proudly, seeing that his announcement was well-received. Everyone seemed to be on the same page when they thought Seulbi was deserving enough.

Everyone except Lee Seulbi herself.

 

<<<< >>>>

 

"Auntie Soyeon? Uncle Jong-in?" Seulbi bargained and bargained once she had managed to talk to her grandfather in private late at night after the festivities were over. The girl was simply unwilling to accept such a big position on such short notice. "Heck, even Woohyun has a better shot in this than I do!"

"Your Auntie Soyeon seems to be more interested in running the Lee household compared to the business, always the familial daughter. And you very well know that your Uncle Jong-in simply excels in taking charge of all our networks abroad and he is happiest and most productive there." 

That still doesn't make her qualified for anything. "I'm simply not prepared for such a big responsibility, Abeonim."

"Seulbi, dear, what makes you think that? Ever since you were a little girl, I have taken you along with me to business trips, company rounds, board meetings and seminars more than the three boys can total. You are familiar with the in's and out's of the business more than anyone else. There is absolutely no one I can be prouder of, and I am confident that you can do it!" Jungyeop beamed. The girl knew better. She would have been left all alone at home if he didn't.

"Not to worry! We still have a few more years to help refine and hone your skills. Your collegiate degree and your masters degree in the future will be a great asset to your experience and Grandpa will be with you all the way to guide you, together with Woohyun, Howon and Sungyeol. I promise."

"If I may ask, Abeonim," Seulbi began. "What made you suddenly think of retiring?"

"I am not getting any younger, my child," Jungyeop sighed. "Because I've spent so much time keeping this company up and running, I've lost time for so many other things-- my health, my family." His eyes laid sight on his family picture frame. Seulbi knew he was referring to her uncle and his eldest son Jinki, who ended up leaving the family due to conflict, bringing his wife Sunyoung and his son Henry along with him. Currently, their whereabouts were unknown. "I thought time would heal, but I realized that I myself have to make the effort to correct these mistakes in one way or another before time turns against me. I want to personally go out and seek Henry the soonest possible. I'm sorry to have piled all of this on you without consulting you about it first, but hopefully, you'll understand this old man's last few wishes in the final stretch of his life."

Her grandfather had pulled her in for a hug, which she accepted with such conflicted thoughts and feelings. She could understand his plight and despite much reassurance already, the idea still really wasn't settling in. It was an immiscible element to her whole existence. Honestly, she was anything but happy right now.

 

<<<< >>>>

 

When Sunggyu came back to his rooftop apartment unit late that night, the door had been completely unhinged, now lying mangled and useless on the ground. Curious, he picked up his pace, rushing to enter the unit. Had he been broken into? Darkness and emptiness greeted him. His whole apartment was practically stripped down and devoid of any piece of furniture whatsoever.

"So after hours and hours of elusiveness, you've finally decided to show yourself, huh?" Standing in the corner of the whole rooftop was his angry landlady. She had her hair up in curlers, facial mask spread over her face and she was dressed in a light green sleeveless night gown that displayed her brute and beefy arms. Sunggyu noted that those must have been all it took to break down his door and move his things out during the span of his absence.

Sunggyu flashed his guiltiest grin yet. "M-Mrs. Choi! This isn't what it looks like--"

"Oh yes, this is EXACTLY what it looks like, you good-for-nothing punk! I'm booting you out for good!"

"O-Okay. But my things?"

She had pointed over the ledge. Sunggyu looked over the back of the building-- all his belongings were haphazardously flung onto the back alley where he had escaped from earlier. "I've cleared them out for you. Tomorrow, I'll have this place renovated and ready for the next person who will occupy it. Someone I can be assured of to pay REGULARLY and ON TIME. Now, your key, Kim Sunggyu-ssi."

Unwillingly, he handed it over.

"Mrs. Choi, can't you please reconsider? Please, let me stay for just for one more night and I'll move out tomorrow when everything's convenient, I swear."

"I've had enough reconsideration the whole year round Kim Sunggyu-ssi! Today was just the final straw! Good luck finding a place to sleep tonight-- you're on your own now."

And with that, she stomped her way back to her own apartment unit, making her point clear with an almighty slam of her front door. Sighing heavily, he made his way down via the fire escape and gathered whatever was left of his belongings, packing them all as neatly and as hurriedly as possible into the huge stroller that he had owned.

Well, he wasn't leaving without his last hurrah. "THANK YOU VERY MUCH MRS. CHOI FOR YOUR HOSPITALITY. YOU'VE MANHANDLED MY THINGS TOO AND THAT'S REALLY KIND OF YOU! YOU'RE THE BEST AND MOST CONSIDERATE LANDLADY EVER!" Sunggyu yelled his sarcasm into the night. "I ALMOST FEEL BAD FOR YOUR FIVE CHILDREN! GOOD NIGHT!"

He pulled on his stroller before she could even reach for the phone, call the cops, and have him imprisoned for public disturbance. He guessed the next best option was to go back to the bar and ask Byunghyun or the manager for help. If they were kind enough, they'd offer him a place to stay for the night. He could file for a temporary leave from all three of his jobs and go apartment seeking tomorrow-- sounded like a working plan to him.

He had made his way through the bar's back alley, storing his luggage stroller by the back kitchen. He'd come back for it once he found a place to stay. For now, he needed to talk to Byunghyun or his manager to explain his situation.

From his vantage point in the kitchen, a commotion was already ongoing up in front-- in the small amount of time he had disappeared, he was amazed that this much of a crowd had gathered. In the middle of it all was their manager... and those two Zombie girls from yesterday. What's-her-face was already starting to throw a nasty, bratty fit in public.

"I demand to speak to your bartender named Byunghyun! Right now!"

It was goodbye Hongdae too? Could this day seriously get anymore tier?

"Byunghyun? Our bartender's name is Bob," the manager corrected for the nth time, clearly frustrated with this airhead.

"Yesterday, the person who served us drinks was Byunghyun!" the girl insisted. "LET ME SPEAK TO BYUNGHYUN OR I WILL CALL MY LAWYER--"

Giving up, the manager threw his hands in the air. "Alright, alright. Call for Byunghyun!" Byunghyun finally came forward after having been extracted from his bus boy duties, looking extremely bewildered.

"That isn't Byunghyun! He's not even half as cute!"

"Yeah, Byunghyun's got tinier eyes!" her friend piped.

Sunggyu cursed a multitude inwardly. Boy, was he wrong when he said they wouldn't remember him. But , they actually remember my face. He didn't know whether to take that as a compliment in this kind of predicament.

"Are you sure you don't mean Sunggyu?" Bob the bartender clarified.

"This is about money again, isn't it?" Byunghyun sighed.

Thank you, you two, for completely selling me out. Pulling his jacket hood over his eyes, he ditched the bar and raced down the back alley to get as farthest away as possible before things got too messy for him.

He didn't know how long and how far he had been running out on the street, his backpack swinging wildly behind him. From out of nowhere (technically, due to the blind curve) a sleek black sedan had appeared, its headlights glaring at him, rooting him to the spot. "Holy !" he roared, finding himself unable to get out of the way as the car horn blared through the silent night air. Sunggyu could do nothing else but brace himself for impact.

By some sort of miracle, the car came to an abrupt stop a good inches before it could hit him.

And then the light bulb moment appeared to save him from his miserable situation. Here was his winning ticket to get away from those rabid girls and to get somewhere to rest his head for the night!

Thinking quickly, he lightly slammed himself onto the hood of the car, making sure there was an audible enough thud, before falling to his knees, yelping out in pain. He could tell his plan was working. Apparently, it was believable enough for the people inside as they scrambled out of the vehicle out of worry.

"Hey. Hey, are you alright?"

It was a girl. This made the sympathy act all the more easier for him then. Sunggyu began to groan in fake pain as he slowly got up, unable to look these people in the eye. That would give his whole acting away.

"Hey, easy. Easy! You shouldn't be moving like that!" That was practically his cue to increase the volume and intensity of his groaning. Looks like the girl fell for his sick act for she had rushed forward with sincere intentions of assisting him.

"Agassi, we should get him to a hospital soon."

By some divine intervention, how convenient was it that a big stone was situated in her path? In her haste, the girl tripped and fell onto an unexpectant Sunggyu, knocking the wind out of him for real this time. It felt like two sacks of potatoes had been haphazardously shoved into his stomach as he exhaled out in real pain. To add further injury to injury, his head had bumped the side of the car hood. The two fell over onto the pavement with the girl toppling over him.

The last thing he could remember was staring at the girl. There was just something that drew him in that allowed him to deem her pretty enough for his standards. Maybe it was the way the street light illuminated and brought focus onto her face. Maybe it was the way her eyes shone and stood out despite her expression laced with guilt and worry. But she was definitely not his type, he concluded.

Then everything went black.


A/N: Pilot chapter up, how's the kick off so far? Are the characters too OOC for you? Let me know! Featuring The Killers! Who doesn't love The Killers? Yes, this was the song Sunggyu was listening to and it pretty much fits his predicament, in my opinion. Please have a good listen!