sixteen

Bluff!

♠ SIXTEEN ♠ 


By some miracle, Lee Seulbi, the ever-responsible, ever-punctual one, was running late.

Thanks to an uncalled-for board meeting, her personal plans for that day were ruined. Having overslept, she raced downstairs and swallowed a piece of toast and downed a glass of cold milk in one go for breakfast before hitting the shower. It was very fortunate that Sunggyu wasn't around to see. He would have made a laughing stock out of it.

Still, she wasn't giving up on having the photos she took printed, even if her SD card had decided to play a game of hide-and-seek with her on the very last minute. Her room was in a complete topsy-turvy as she sought for the said item faster than a police investigation team could.

This time, she was going through the shelves, thinking that she might have possibly left it on the ledge by accident or something. In her haste to get a few books and albums out of the way, she hadn't set them down properly at the edge, causing the pile to tip and fall. She let out a pained cry, hopping around in pain before picking up the offending object that decided to take a free dive dead smack onto her big toe.

It was an album of the first set of pictures she had ever taken, along with a few polaroids from her father. Being an enthusiast of photography himself, he had it printed as a commemoration on finishing her first roll of camera film. Seulbi could only grin fondly at how terrible these photos were-- most of them were exposed, some were not even framed at the image she wanted to capture, and still others had her thumb peeking out. Her pointer finger ran over one polaroid photo-- there was a younger Seulbi in pigtails attempting to grin back at her, stuffed with as much watermelon as she could take and beside her...

A series of curt knocks interrupted her little moment of nostalgia. “Hey in there, it’s almost nine o’clock, time to go!” someone called rather haughtily from the other side of the door. Sunggyu’s ‘chaebol heir boot camp’ wouldn’t be starting until a week, and even with that in tow, he still wasn't exempted from observational trips to the company every now and then. Maybe he had plans and that should explain why he was rather pissed off so early in the day. “Are you even done yet?”

“Five more minutes!” Seulbi called out, shutting the album, not before taking that particular photo out of the album and continuing the search for her missing SD card.

“You told me the same thing five minutes ago!”

Just when she was about to give up, the thing decided to reveal itself in the last minute, right inside the card reader for her Macbook, which she totally forgot to check. In one go, she had snagged both the card and the sling of her camera bag. It was really time to leave and Sunggyu was screaming outside her door like a caged howler monkey.

"Sungjong's already outside-- seriously, if you're not getting your out here this instant, I'll--"

"Okay, I'm here Mr. GrumpyPants! Let's go!"

 

<<<< >>>>

 

Seulbi had barely put one foot out of the car and she was already being bombarded left and right by babbling and by project proposals that were as thick as encyclopaedias. Sungjong and Sunggyu were equally traumatized. If that was her main agenda for coming here, she’d be stuck at the hotel branch (Woohyun's usual turf) for a day and a half, listening to all those sales pitches.

“Gentlemen," she called out and instantly everyone was silent. "Thank you for your attention. If all ten of you want to squeeze in, that’s fine with me, provided that you can sell your propositions to me and the board in a minute or under.”

Despite several loud protests that ensued, Seulbi tucked her hands behind her back, unpressured to take back her decision.

”If you have time to be complaining, I suppose all of you here are prepared enough? Perhaps we can start now— just think of this driveway as the board meeting room. Who’d like to start?”

No brave soul bothered to open his mouth, let alone breathe. Seulbi gave them all a small smile at their lack of response. “You all have roughly thirty minutes before the board sees to you. Go.” And everyone scrambled off to their respective work stations in panic.

“Wow. Just wow,” Sungjong muttered, awed by her quick management skills. "Can they really do that though?"

“We're not brought up to run some cheap interim for people who're not up for a challenge. If they’re really convinced that their idea is revolutionary, and if they’re fully committed to making it a reality, they'll show up and speak. Whatever needs to be said can be covered in a minute, really,” Seulbi mused. “As for the finer details, people will ask if they’re impressed enough by something as simple as an elevator pitch. Also, that gives me extra time for tea before the board meeting-- and it frees up my time schedule for the rest of the day."

“Just when I was going to comment on how mature your approach was... I take it back. I knew there was some catch to it," Sunggyu tutted, unimpressed. "What are you up to this time?"

"I still need to have these pictures printed,” Seulbi replied, holding up her iPad, where her card reader had been plugged in. Sungjong leaned over, politely asking to see them as they walked towards the main office. Most of them were still from the welcome party the Lee cousins and Dongwoo threw for them, and of Jungyeop. Some were random shots of nature and architectural structure, some candid shots of random people on the street. Some of these were taken from her smartphone, Sunggyu could tell. She had one of Byunghyun and the Hongdae boys and he was 100% sure she wasn't bringing her camera around with her then.

"You have a good eye for things, Seulbi, these are really good photos!" Sungjong piped. "Right, hyung?"

Sunggyu only shrugged, intent on keeping the unimpressed act up. "I've seen better."

"You flatter me, Sunggyu, you really do," Seulbi sneered in sarcasm. "That's why you're practically my favorite opp--"



UNNIE!”

"Unnie?" Sunggyu repeated, confused, but 
Seulbi was preoccupied elsewhere, her face paling when something glomped her by the arm without warning. The heiress looked down to find a little girl dressed in a bright yellow peacoat, with the chubby pinchable cheeks and an adorable smile. "Hi unnie!" the little girl repeated warmly.

Most girls would coo over any little angel that was as adorable as their guest, but then again, Lee Seulbi wasn't most girls. Sunggyu wanted to laugh at how stiff Seulbi had become. She was able to handle grown professionals with one word or snap of her fingers but she was so helpless when dealing with children. "A good friend of yours?" he asked, wryly amused.

"This is my first time seeing her," she mumbled, still pretty shaken as she stared back at the bright little pair of eyes watching her.

“I dunno about that, she seems to know you.”

“And love you, for someone whom you've only seen for the first time,” Sungjong tried. "
Long lost little sister?"

“Please don’t say things like that, Sungjong. One long lost cousin is already a handful for this year.”

"HEY, I'm over here within clear earshot!"

Ignoring the screeching elder, Sungjong crouched down to come into eye contact with the little girl. "Hi there, I'm Sungjong, what's your name?"

The girl only clung tighter to Seulbi. "Dasom," she mumbled.

"Cute name you have there, Dasom-ie! It's nice to meet you! Come say hi, you two!"

Sunggyu did something like a casual wave, as if he were saying hi to a same-aged friend, raising his palm up in a cool greeting. Seulbi's greeting came out rather soft and shy. It earned her another hug, nonetheless, as the little girl confirmed that she had gotten the right person.

"Are you with anyone right now, Dasom? How come you're all alone? Where are your parents?" Sungjong questioned, 
but that didn't stop the little girl from making googly eyes of admiration at Seulbi. The heiress herself was turning stiff, unused to all this attention. Meanwhile, Sunggyu begun looking around for any sign of worried parents, but no one seemed to be in immediate distress over a missing child.

 

 

Currently, the four were seated on adjacent couches, each enjoying a mug of hot chocolate (with marshmallows, for the girls). After she had considerably calmed down after that initial shock, Seulbi began warming up to Dasom, way easier than with the kids back at Little Haven. The kid's charm and endearing nature must have won the heiress over. By mutual agreement, the three decided not to inform Seulbi's three other cousins of their special visitor for today, planning to solve this 'missing child' problem by themselves.

"Where are you from, Dasom-ie?" Sungjong began with the inquiry, in high hopes of getting the child back to her parents or guardian. 

"Hmmm? Not from here."

"... Okay," Seulbi responded. "Then how'd you find your way here to Sogong-dong?"

"Oppa was with me! We were going to go sight-seeing."

"Oppa?" Sunggyu chimed, quickly recalling if there were any panicky elder brothers back at the lobby. Even before they left, people were relatively composed, slimming down the option that Dasom's guardian had checked into the hotel. "Your brother? He could be out there looking for you right now, you know? Did you get separated from him by accident?"

"I wanted to see unnie. So I came here! My oppa call you 'Maxene' though." Seulbi's ears perked up after that.

“Dasom, are you sure you have the right unnie?” Sungjong added, scratching his head. 

“Yes I’m sure!” Dasom squeals with much liveliness. “My oppa has unnie’s pictures!”

Great, they had one runaway and lost kid, and now they also had Seulbi’s creepy stalker to deal with. Dasom had been purposely avoiding questions regarding her brother thereafter, even if they were coming from Seulbi herself. Though it had completely slipped Sunggyu's and Sungjong's attention, Seulbi picked up that piece of information; after all, one would always respond once they heard their name being mentioned. That limited her selection down to a handful of people, and right now, she was 99.9% banking on one person in particular. Although it was impossible, her hunch was telling her that she was right.

Pretty soon, the time for the allotted board meeting came. Seulbi looked uneasy at the thought of leaving the little girl behind and was seriously contemplating on moving the meeting for some other time.


"After that stunt you pulled at the driveway earlier, don't even dream about it. Sungjong and I can take five minutes each," Sunggyu decided firmly. "So that one of us stays with the kid and throws off any suspicion that we have a situation on hand, just in case someone calls in to check."

"Do you really have to go?" Dasom pouted, tugging on the cuff of Seulbi's sleeve.

"Unfortunately, duty calls. I'll be back before you know it. Promise you'll be good to Sungjong and Sunggyu?"

Dasom nodded in understanding instead of pulling a tantrum like most children would do when they didn't get their way. "Mmm-kay!"


Everything had been fine thus far. No pesky Woohyun calling, no one coming in to check. The remainder of Seulbi's schedule remained as clean as a whistle. Except for the fact that they still had no idea as to the identity of Dasom's beloved brother.

"If I tell you a secret of mine, will you tell me something about your brother?" Sunggyu bargained with her, as it was currently his turn to babysit. To much of his relief too. The atmosphere in that board meeting room was tense. Eyes of scrutiny were everywhere and he could feel people breathing down his throat the moment Seulbi had introduced him as an esteemed guest. Yet when they engaged Seulbi in conversation, the bunch of -ups acted like such saints.

The little girl seemed interested. "Is it a big secret? Will you really tell me?"

"Sort of. And I really will, only if you keep your end of the deal up."

Dasom gave it a lot of thought before responding. "Okay then, I promise. Can I please hear it?"

Suddenly, he regretted even bringing it up. He hadn't really talked about it with anyone, in all honesty. Sister Minyeo knew, but it didn't come from him, and he had a strong feeling Sungjong did too after putting context clues together. "Well, how should I put it? Umm... I used to be part of this rock band called 'Beat' back in the day. I was the frontman."

"Is that even a secret or are you making things up? Oppa says it's not nice to brag."

"It's true! What I'm saying is unadulterated truth!" Sunggyu protested, huffing. "Dasom, don't do this to me, I haven't even shared this with people back at my home!"

"That's not even a secret! My oppa is part of a band too!" Dasom giggled, before putting two hands over . "That's supposed to be a secret, especially to mommy and daddy."

"Hey, you didn't even let me finish! What I'm sharing is very sensitive information here! That was during my rebellious phase and I'm really not as saint-like as everyone thinks and I did a lot of stupid things back then which I regret now and--"

"Are you a good singer? Can you even really sing? Like really really really--"
"I get your point, geez, I'll prove myself worthy of your standards! But you can't tell anyone!"
"Why?"
"Long story, kid."
"Why?"
"Do you want to hear it or not?"

Finally, Dasom gave an eager nod of approval, drawing a little cross over her heart. Nervous, Sunggyu took a deep breath before opening his mouth.

 

<<<< >>>>

 

Seulbi and Sungjong walked in on a one-sided screaming contest.

"There you are. I hope the grumpy Sunggyu didn't give you a hard time," Seulbi called out. 
The little girl stopped screaming in Sunggyu’s ear and ran to the two, giving the guy the opportunity he needed to finally take a break from more or less five minutes of babysitting. Sapped, he plopped onto the couch, remaining motionless as though his soul had temporarily left his body. It was high time he realized that he was getting too old for mingling with children.

"Hmmm, Sunggyu-oppa was a fun playmate!"

“Really?" Seulbi asked, a little doubtful about that. "Would you like some ice cream, Dasom? My treat.”


That calmed down the little typhoon. She looked dreamily up at Seulbi. “What flavour?” Dasom asked, practically drooling.

"Hmm, depends on what your favorite is. We can go hunt for it."

“Yay! Strawberry for me, then! I'll clean up real quick, promise!”

Still, the heiress wasn't settled with the fact of just sitting there and watching, so she offered to help the little girl out. "I don't know about icecream, Seulbi," Sungjong raised out of concern as he helped Seulbi stuff Dasom's crayons back into the box. "Her brother could be worried sick by now."

"We'll return her to her brother, Sungjong, don't worry. After ice cream."

He could only look at her with disbelief at her decision. How could she say something like that so casually? Her response had him confused for a moment before the point clicked in his head. Did she know all along? Before Sungjong could even voice it out, Seulbi calmly dismissed him.

"Well then, shall we get going? We're getting some ice cream, come on, Sunggyu!" He had refused to budge, and Seulbi had to practically drag his limp body off the couch so they could get going. To make matters worse for Sunggyu, Dasom had insisted on a piggyback ride, which Seulbi and Sungjong silently demanded that he comply. The two could only wonder what Sunggyu did to make her this attached to him. Honestly, Seulbi was banking on some sort of bribery.

They could only blindly follow as Seulbi led them far away, to the point that the hotel's tip was barely peaking out of the skyrise.  Despite passing by several ice cream parlors, she kept insisting that there was a particular one she wanted. After finally announcing that they were near their destination, Seulbi handed her phone to her Sungjong, not before dialling a number. "Here. I think it's best if you talk to him. Tell him we'll meet him at the ice cream parlor down this road." Sungjong hadn't even put the phone to his ear when...

"YAH! KIM DASOM!"


"Never mind," Seulbi hummed, watching as Kim Myungsoo raced down the street towards their direction. "He's already here."

Upon hearing her name, Dasom freed herself from Sunggyu's hold and began hopping up and down in glee. “That’s my oppa! OPPA, OVER HERE!”

“Geez, where have you been all this time? Do you even have any idea how hard I’ve been running all around the area like a crazy person trying to look for you?” Myungsoo scolded as he scooped Dasom into his arms. On contrary to his harsh words, he was hugging the little girl like he hasn’t seen her in forever, checking if she was okay, pinching her nose and cheeks in affection. "Seriously, you could have hurt yourself!"

"I'm eight, Myungsoo-oppa. I’m a big girl already!"

“I beg to differ, you’re still a baby to me. Don’t run away from me like that ever again! Are you not hurt anywhere?"

“I’m okay, I’m okay! I went to see unnie!”

“Unnie? Which unnie?”

Seulbi raised her hand in jest to signify her presence there. “This unnie.”

As he looked up, Myungsoo froze. Sunggyu, Sungjong and Seulbi were staring all staring at him, the former two in disbelief, the latter in amusement. Of all the people that Dasom could have run into. He couldn't care less about anything else the moment he had spotted the little girl, his focus on the pop of bright yellow.

Awkwardly, Myungsoo cleared his throat. “My baby sister, Kim Dasom."

The kid had a proud grin on her face as she hugged her older brother. “My oppa, Kim Myungsoo!”

“I know,” Seulbi nodded. “It took me awhile, but once I saw the conection, I knew.”

“You could tell?”

“That's because you two have the same dimples, here... and here.”


That particular complement made Dasom extremely happy and excited. However, the boys knew that the reason Seulbi gave couldn't be it. The two barely looked anything alike, but they really had the same dimpled smile. With her age, it was still hard for the young girl to take in that her older brother had a different mom.

“And besides, Max, Maxie, Mackie, Maxene— only one person refers to me by my English name for the heck of it. Even my own cousins don’t use it,” Seulbi whistled. "Isn't that right, Myungsoo?"

"I hope this kid didn't bring you three any trouble."

"None at all," Seulbi replied.

"Then it's time to go, little duck. We still have somewhere to visit today."

The kid refused to budge. "But unnie was going to get me some icecream!"

"Let's not trouble the nice people by making them pay for you, alright? Besides oppa can get you all the icecream you want."

"Hmmm, can we bring unnie and her friends then? Pretty please?"

"Kim Dasom, don't give me that, it's not going to work," Myungsoo mumbled as he looked hesitantly from Dasom's pleading puppy dog pout to Seulbi and back to Dasom before sighing, unable to resist her cuteness. "... Fine. They can come along if they aren't busy."


Unfortunately for him, Dasom's proposed guests (especially Lee Seulbi) looked very eager to get away from their company duties and he had no choice but to keep his agreement. Myungsoo smiled as Dasom clambered into the passenger seat, reaching over to ruffle the girl's hair, fastening his sister's seatbelt first before attending to his. It was clear to anyone's eyes that Dasom was Myungsoo's little princess. Somehow, his kindness towards Dasom mirrored Woohyun's towards Seulbi.

With way less grease of course.

 

<<<< >>>>

 

They were mistaken when they thought the two were going to hang out at somewhere elite and fancy. Myungsoo and Dasom's destination for their brother-sister date: Gyeongbok Palace. Fortunately for them, there weren't that many people nor tourists. The two siblings weren't the only excited ones. Sunggyu and Sungjong were chattering non-stop as they reminisced on school trips and trips with the orphanage. Only Seulbi kept to herself, tailing behind the group.

"Don't tell me it's your first time here?" Sunggyu brought up, noticing how timid and lost she looked.

"Well, we pass by this place a lot, and we were invited to the Blue House a couple of times..."

"It is," Myungsoo inconspicuously coughed as he passed by to pick Dasom up from the passenger side of the car. It was all the information Sunggyu needed to call her bluff and he stared at her, half in disbelief and half in amusement.

"You've lived here for nine years, yet you've never set foot in Gyeongbok Palace, not even once? And its deadsmack in the middle of Seoul? Amazing! You beat out people from Jeonju-- we've been here, what? At least three, four times?"

"It's not cultural ignorance! It really isn't my fault I get pulled out from by coincidence during class field trips here."

"That's okay, we'd be more than happy to take you on an express tour, Seulbi. Shall we bring a little flag too so you won't get lost?" Sungjong teased, schooling it once Seulbi gave him a stoic look. "Kidding! Now how about that ice cream you promised us? There's a stall nearby that sells food and drinks-- that one!"

"I see it, thanks. Come on Dasom, I'll give you their share of the icecream since they're all mean," Seulbi called out and the little girl squirmed away from her brother's grasp, running towards Seulbi in excitement.

"OKAY, OKAY, WE'RE SORRY!"

Meanwhile, Myungsoo and Seulbi were busy looking over the icecream locker instead of lining up for soft serve like the other three were. One lone melon-flavored popsicle lay on top of the pile full of grape. Naturally, the two made a grab for it simultaneously and ended up taking hold of each end and neither one was refusing to let go of it.

"Let's cut the 'I found it first' crap, shall we? This is mine," Seulbi insisted, tugging the coveted object towards her.


"I hate grape," Myungsoo replied nonchalantly, giving the popsicle a good tug towards his side.

"I know that. But I hate grape too."

"I know that as well. Give it up, it's mine."


While they were arguing over something as petty as a popsicle, they noticed a pair of eyes observing them. Dasom was staring at them intently, causing the two to pause their little game of tug of war. Frankly, the girl had no idea that they were not on good terms right now and was still under the impression that they were completely chummy and still close with each other.

Smiling, Myungsoo gently shoved it towards her. "Here, you have it-- I insist."

"No, you have it, I insist as well."

In the end, Seulbi had opted for a twirlie cone, giving the remaining melon-flavored popsicle to Myungsoo. Pleased that they were getting along, the young girl turned her attention back to her own strawberry ice cream that was starting to melt onto her hand. When Myungsoo was busy tending after his sister, she mischievously took a huge chomp out of the popsicle. Myungsoo felt the tug and looked back only to see half a popsicle left. In retaliation, Myungsoo bit off part of her ice cream, making sure he bit into a big part of the cone, leaving a gaping hole there for the soft serve to ooze out. 

"You sore loser!" Seulbi gasped at him. She was half-laughing, not expecting him to pull something as childish as that. 

"Justice for the half-bitten popsicle."

"So this is how we're playing now, I see." She bit into the remaining popsicle and shoved the remainder of her icecream cone over. "Here, you have this. Fair trade."

Myungsoo ended up grumbling about it, but his expression betrayed his amusement as he took it with no qualms and Seulbi was okay with that because somehow, she managed to get a glimpse of the old Myungsoo through his brief display of playfulness. They took the long way around the palace complex, opting to see the Blue House first.

"Is it called the Blue House because the roof tiles are blue?" Dasom asked her brother.

"That's right. Inside that complex is the president's office, as well as her house. The current president of South Korea gets to live here. "

"Really? Our house is bigger!"

"Dasom!!! You don't say things like that."


Next stop was the National Folk Museum before the actual palace complex. Sunggyu and Sungjong took the helm explaining things for Dasom (and Seulbi, who was never too far behind). Myungsoo pitched in every now and then but he busied himself with looking after his sister and taking pictures.


"You sure know a lot of things," Seulbi had whispered once she managed to catch Sunggyu alone.

"You can add 'tour guide' to my resume," Sunggyu responded, and when he was met with a doubtful expression. "Not kidding! Part time!"


The palace proper was a grandeur in itself, carefully preserved and restored to tiptop condition, despite it being roughly 600 years in existence. Tour guides and personnel were mostly dressed in colorful hanboks, bringing life to the historical landmark and it felt like they were back in time, back into the Joseon Dynasty.

"You see this Dasom-ie?" Sungjong pointed out and the little girl nodded. "This elevated lane dead smack in the center up to that central stair rail, all the way up to the King's Throne Hall. This was special passage for the King-- basically only members of the royal family could walk on it."


"Then is unnie the Crown Princess?"

The three boys looked around. True enough, Seulbi was the only one on that walkway right now, absentmindedly walking forward from the palace grounds as she scanned some of the pictures she took of the inner gate. Somehow, it was befittingly accurate, given her soon-to-be status in the corporate world.

"Unfortunately, South Korea doesn't work that way now, unlike in England. And don't worry, anyone can walk here by now. Even you can!"

"But to answer your question, by obligation, yes; in her heart... she doesn't think so," Myungsoo added, as he turned his gaze away, leaving the two baffled at his cryptic response. "Want to go up to see the Throne Hall? I'll give you a piggyback."


"How was oppa like when he still lived here in Seoul?"

The group was just about to round up their little tour of the Palace compound when Dasom had asked the question, most obviously directed to Seulbi. Sungjong and Sunggyu had stopped their little discussion about certain facts on King Jeongjo to listen in. After all, who wouldn't be interested to know how the ever stoic L was like?


"Well," Seulbi began, unsure of what to say, "He's the type to obsess over unusual things. Once, he ate nothing but kimchi stew for about three months; he even took to carrying kimchi in his bag because he loves it so much. That's not all. He bought two dozen plaid shirts of the same style and color, with twenty matching fedora hats. For sure his closet still has nothing but black inside it--"

Myungsoo deadpanned. Usually, people would say nice things when asked about how other people were but Seulbi dove straight into his quirky side. "OKAY, that's enough, story's over!" he interrupted. Forcing a wide smile, he put his hand over before she got too carried away by her privilege speech. Seulbi managed to squirm away and continued to speak.

"Does he still collect manga? Once he picks up a series, he can never put it down especially if it's about rom--"

"This girl likes hiding in the most random places at the most inconvenient times-- there were a number search parties sent out for her, only for them to find her camping out in a guest closet or up a tree. She doesn't like it when different kinds of food touch together, and don't get me started on her food quirks! She has the appetite of a man but has the preference of a small child."


"He has a userhandle at the fan forum for TVXQ-- he actually spazzed when Kim Jaejoong followed him back on Twitter and set the screenshot as his wallpaper for half a year."

"She has this uncanny habit of naming inanimate objects. Mind you, everything in her house has a name. Her mug is called 'Susie' and her lucky pencil 'Maximillian', their stairway 'Fitzgerald'... I could go on really-- who even names their camera 'Hervé'?"

It made Dasom feel really happy to see her brother having this much fun in the longest while after being cooped up alone with no one his age to talk to back at home. The 180-degree personality shift of L Kim, Daekyung's 'Ice Prince' and archnemesis of Woollim, was pure entertainment in itself for the two guys. They've never seen him talk so much-- it was weird, really, but it was a good kind of weird.

What started out as one question turned into a heated competition to see who could reveal more weird facts about the other, all in good jest of course. One could tell that the two had been through a lot together. The two even ended up laughing about it eventually and could barely breathe as they coursed through whatever they were going to say. Seulbi was clutching her stomach as she chortled in a very unrefined manner in no way befitting of her heiress status while silent fits of laughter racked Myungsoo's body and he ended up clapping like a sea lion each time something funny was mentioned.

Right now, there was no heiress to Woollim, no heir to Jeguk... just two normal kids having fun hanging out at Gyeongbuk Palace on a beautiful spring day. 

 

<<<< >>>>

 

"Oppa, I need to go and use the little ladies' room. Can you come with me?" Dasom complained after awhile. Myungsoo visibly reddened, much to the amusement of the three.

"Let's save Soo the embarrassment, okay Dasom? Unnie will take you," Seulbi volunteered, ushering the girl with her. That left the two alone together with Kim Myungsoo. They didn't try to make any small talk and it was fine both ways. Although the atmosphere was still awkward, he felt much more approachable now, as if both Dasom and Seulbi had taken down two huge barricades that he closed himself up with. And Myungsoo was content with letting them be, seeing how they've taken good care of his sister throughout the day.

 

"L!"

"How on earth...?" Sunggyu murmured trailing off.

One fuming Nam Woohyun was storming towards them, their location tipped off by the (not-so-secret) service assigned to watch over each one of the Lee grandchildren. Sunggyu and Sungjong looked at each other to check if other had tattled, but the other was just as confused. From afar, they could see how red Woohyun's face had turned out of anger and by how taughtly his fists were clenched, he was more than ready to start a fist fight.

"Don't you think you've caused enough damage? You still aren't satisfied? If you do so much as to make Seulbi upset again, I will beat your arrogant head in and--"

"Woohyun-hyung, calm down, please!" Sungjong pleaded.

"I come in to find out that you three have disappeared with him in tow-- I'm not going to remain calm, Sungjong!"

"This is all a big misunderstanding!"

"The only big misunderstanding here is this traitorous, heartless --"

Myungsoo remained ungoaded by the taunting, the biggest factor being Dasom. It wasn't right for her to see her older brother get into a fist fight. Just b
efore Nam Woohyun could unleash any more damage, whether verbal or physical, Sunggyu had tackled the younger guy from behind, putting a hand over his mouth. “duhfrqwkk!” came the Nam heir’s muffled yell. “grrrofff!”

“Not here, and most especially, not in front of the kid!” Sunggyu told off through gritted teeth as he tried his best to restrain the younger boy. Woohyun, being a gym-buff along with Howon, was putting off a very good fight.

"Wfff kvvv?"

"We're back, oppa!"

Dasom and Seulbi were hand-in-hand when they arrived back to where they boys were waiting. Upon seeing her older cousin, Seulbi froze in her tracks. "Woohyun."

The tense atmosphere must have scared Dasom for she immediately ran over to older brother. Myungsoo was more than willing to scoop the little girl up into his arms once more out of protectiveness. “My baby sister," he curtly introduced.

Woohyun didn't believe it for one moment. "You don't have a sis--"

Before Woohyun could even finish his sentence, Sunggyu was at it again, pulling the younger boy into a playful chokehold while letting out a loud extremely fake chuckle. "Hyunnie, you big joker, really!" Even Sungjong started covering up with a fake laugh of his own to ease the atmosphere. 

"What are you doing? Get off me!"

"What is with your lack of tact today? You and L can throw shade and punches at each other for all I care, but don't say things like that in front of the kid. That's like saying Seulbi has no mom and dad. Put yourself in their shoes. You're not this cruel, Nam," he scolded once more, his words coming out as muffled whispers.

It was only then that Woohyun managed to connect two dots together and he suddenly became docile in Sunggyu's hold. Kim Myungsoo had a half-sister? If this girl was the daughter of the legal wife, technically it made L...

"Dasom, this is Woohyun," Seulbi began softly in attempts to mask the hostility between her cousin and Myungsoo. "Woohyunnie is my cousin. He's a big sweetie and he's harmless, really!"

“He's alright, Dasom, go and say hi,” Myungsoo managed to mutter out nice words despite the hostility between them earlier.

"You too, Namu," Seulbi nudged, as if asking him to correct this. Clearing his throat, Woohyun introduced himself with the friendliest and sincerest wave he could muster. Dasom's breathing only hitched and with a small squeak and she hid behind Myungsoo, clinging onto her brother's leg.

Great. Woohyun, whom kids (especially the girls) found very approachable and charming should have found this task of winning the kid's heart over extremely easy. But surprisingly, now the kid hated him. Myungsoo himself didn't force the situation if Dasom continued to feel threatened. Dasom only tugged on the hem of his sweater, wanting to say something to her brother.

"Oppa..." she whispered (in a not so soft voice), "... I think I've found my soulmate."


"WHAT?!?" Myungsoo blurted. Woohyun froze up into one solid marble statue after hearing those words come out of the little girl's mouth.

"I'm going to marry him someday."

"Nonononono, Kim Dasom! Think about what you're saying. You're only eight!" Myungsoo continued to disuade. "Besides, he's a big greaseball, that one. You'll get sick with diabetes and you'll have to take shots everyday. Anyone but him, Dasom!"

He never thought the day he'd fend off boys from his sister would come this soon. Myungsoo was going into a mental breakdown as he tried to pry his clingy sister who kept making kissy faces at the Nam heir. Woohyun stood there dazed, as though his soul had left his body. After all, this was the first time he’s been overwhelmed by a girl. An eight year old girl at that. Over to the corner, the three were already dying of silent fits of laughter at the absurdity of this situation. Sungjong was practically crying now, his stomach hurting from laughing so much.

"Why can't I like Prince Charming-oppa? You and unnie... you're from Jeguk and unnie's from Woollim and you've been bestfriends forever and you don't let that get in the way of your friendship!"

It was as if Dasom had uttered a taboo word out loud for the whole world to know. The two hesitated as the little girl looked at them, expectant of a response of affirmation. Three pairs of eyes were looking at them, expectant of their answer as well. Sunggyu had gone into initial shock, hearing that for the first time, but quickly got himself back on track after that initial thought derailment. Everything he had gathered about the two sort of made sense to him now in this context.

"We've been best buddies since childhood and he still is to me, yes. But I don't think he thinks the same way. Not anymore."

Words as simple as that actually stung as Seulbi had bravely decided to stop their lying game. Although Dasom didn't look too pleased to hear the reply, she didn't look too shocked by it either. Sungjong could only avert his gaze; this was what Seulbi had meant back then at the garage, when he had asked her about her and Myungsoo. Back then she admitted to no longer knowing what the two of them were anymore, and that she must have been delusional and stupid all this time.

Woohyun's gaze had hardened, his protective mode over his baby cousin kicking in once again. If there was one thing that angered and saddened him at the same time, it was seeing a hurting Seulbi. She's been through too much already and all he really wanted is for his beloved baby cousin yo be happy. Before his aggression could even flare up once more, Sunggyu had come to the rescue, swooping his disgruntled boss away.

"Are you alright Hyun? You're looking a bit green! I think you need to sit down and rest somewhere," he piped, dragging the dazed younger boy back towards the building compound. "I'll accompany this one, be back in a bit."

"Come on Dasom. It's almost time for the Royal Guard Changing Ceremony-- something like the ones you have in Buckingham Palace! You should definitely shouldn't miss that!" Sungjong interjected, sensing the two needed time alone to sort their mess out, ushering the girl towards Gwanghwamun where the event was going to take place.

Without even any form of verbal communication, the two found themselves on a leisurely walk by the pagoda and temple area. Cherry blossom were nearly in season too, almost at full bloom already. They found themselves at a standstill on the bridge over Hyangwonjeong pond. Somehow, the place brought a sense of calmness and serenity and the silence was in a way really contentful.

"I'm sorry we all ended up crashing in on your brother-sister date. Dasom seems like she had a lot of fun today," Seulbi began, breaking the silence.

"She did. That's because you're here."

"Though I wonder if you did as well."

"You can stop forcing yourself, Lee Seulbi. Dasom's not here anymore," Myungsoo replied.

"Ah, I believe you're mistaken. I wasn't pretending. All this time, ever since you came back... I wasn't pretending."

She had been approaching him wholeheartedly and with utmost sincerity while every attempt from his side had some excuse to justify it. Her response seemed to have upset him thoroughly. He let out one heavy sigh before delivering his sentiments towards her once again.

"I think it's about time we end your little game of push-and-pull. Things are different now. I grew up. I moved on. I'm not the same Myungsoo you used to know, Seulbi."

"I know."

Her tone remained serene as she continued. It wasn't hopeful like it used to be, but something of gracious surrender and acceptance. 
"We've changed, you and I. For better or not, I wouldn't know yet. I don't think it's still my place to, but it doesn't change the fact that I really do miss you terribly. As much as I want it to, I know that things won't go back to the way they were before, and I've accepted that. Life is going to happen for you, and you're destined for greater things, Myungsoo, things more likely greater than me. And although it makes me a bit sad that I won't be with you every step of the way from now on, I'm thankful that you were a big part of my life. You were there to smile and laugh with me. When I needed someone... even if I didn't say anything or demand of your presence, you were always there. So thank you, Myungsoo, for putting up with someone as crazy and as bullheaded as I am. Even if we're like this now, you'll still always be one of my favorite people."

Myungsoo chose to remain quiet, but Seulbi already knew that although he wouldn't say anything in response, he had listened, and listened well. Whether her words have reached him would really be up to him now.

"Here."

Quietly, Seulbi pulled out the photo she had found earlier and handed it over to him, which he wordlessly accepted. There was a younger Seulbi in pigtails attempting to grin back, stuffed with as much watermelon as she could take and beside her was a younger Myungsoo with red watermelon juice smudged over his pudgy cheeks. His gaze shifted from the photo to Seulbi, but she had only smiled and stepped back-- her way of saying that she was really serious when she said she was going to give him some space.

"When you're ready to talk... or whenever you just need anyone to run to-- just like those summers back then-- I'll be willing to listen."

 

<<<< >>>>

 

“Bye Dasom. Enjoy the rest of your stay here, alright?" Seulbi greeted, finally returning all the hugs that the little girl had given her on that day into one big hug.

“Will I see you again?”

“If your oppa lets me.”

Somehow, the little girl understood that it would be impossible for the two of them to keep seeing like this. She didn't say anything afterwards and instead gave the heiress one last bear hug. "Now go. Don't keep your brother waiting."



"You mean, even Shimgoon knew?" Sungjong quipped.

Currently, the four were on the drive back home. Woohyun had taken the front passenger seat and was knocked out cold, so they let him be and tried to keep their voices as low as possible. Sunggyu was sapped as well, after having had to restrain two active children today. He was sitting with his eyes closed, and arms crossed, but he was still listening.

Shimgoon could only chuckle in response. "Young Master Myungsoo has grown up to be a fine young gentleman, hasn't he, young Miss? Back in the day, you used to be taller than him and everyone else, well... except Young Master Sungyeol," and Seulbi nodded in agreement.

It made sense. The whole Woollim and Jeguk fiasco only started quite recently, with the newcomer Jeguk managing to overtake Woollim from out of the blue roughly three years ago, and everything suddenly dropped for them. Woollim had quite a hard time grappling back stock shares and investors, but they managed to do it. All that happened shortly before Myungsoo had left for England. If they rearranged the timeline of details from then up until now, the whole story fit like a puzzle. It must have been the intense company rivalry that brought the two apart. Thinking about it, it was rather sad, having lost friendship over petty things, like family business.

“With that, I sincerely hope that ends your confusion. Stop trying to make the two of us happen in your head," Seulbi sighed.

Sunggyu only scoffed at her statement, “If you hadn’t been so secretive about it, Sungjong and I wouldn’t have been jumping into conclusions so quickly. So you were best friends since childhood; there isn’t anything scandalous about that!”

“I beg to differ. Anything that puts Woollim and Jeguk in connection is considered scandalous news to the watchful eye of the general public.”

“I beg to differ as well. We’re not the general public. Although there are points where a line must be drawn, I don't see it yet, so I'll hold my judgement. It shouldn't be our business, telling you who to befriend or who not to befriend."

"I've already come to terms with it. Though I'm keeping my side of the bridge open."

"Then I won't hold your decision against you. Just as long as that person makes you a better person as well.”

Somehow, his response of general acceptance made her happy. After all, this was the first sensible answer she had gotten from anyone ever since the whole falling out between the two. Everyone was always trying to drive them apart, but here was the first person who thought otherwise. Reaching out, she began ruffling his hair playfully, making sure to ruin it. "I get it, I get it. I'll shower you with more attention. Stop being jealous already."

Sunggyu’s eyes shot open.

"WHAT?" he sputtered. "How did you even reach that conclusion?"

“I don’t know, you seem pretty happy about finding out we were friends,” Seulbi shrugged. “Maybe it’s because you’ve been smiling like a person on crack with your eyes closed for the past half hour?”

“I’ll have to agree with Seulbi on this one,” Sungjong piped, wistfully nodding his head. "Awww. Are you afraid your favorite cousin won't have time for you anymore?"

"Excuse you, she is clearly NOT my favorite! YAH, AND HOW DARE YOU THINK THAT MY SMILE IS DOPEY?" And she definitely wasn't his cousin. She was none of the above, he wanted to yell.

“Shh, you’ll wake our Prince Charming up,” Seulbi hushed, trying her best not to giggle as she reached over to clear the stray bangs that were covering Woohyun's eyes. “I think he’s still traumatized from what happened earlier.”

“Dasom-ie is really cute-- I love her so much already! Thanks to her, we all have some leverage against Woohyun-hyung! He'll be having nightmares forever after today."

 

<<<< >>>>

 

"Did you have fun with your new friends today?"

"Lots!"

"Really? How much?"

Dasom stretched out as far as her hands could reach. "This~ much! Woohyun-oppa was like a Prince. Sungjong-oppa did lots of girl group dances for me and even braided my hair, and Sunggyu-oppa sang nicely and said he was part of this band called Beat or something, but I don't know if it's the same band who you have videos of. But I like unnie the most because she makes you laugh and she makes you happy."

"That's great to hear then," Myungsoo chuckled, pinching the younger girl's cheek in affection.

"Hey oppa."

"Hmm?"

"Can't you be bestfriends with unnie again? It makes me sad to see you sad and alone."

Smart kid. Myungsoo could only smile wryly at the fact that she could completely see through him. He was silent for awhile before he decided to speak up again. "I'm sorry, little duck. It isn't likely."

"Because of our family?"

"That. And because I messed up, big time," Myungsoo admitted sadly. "I did something extremely wrong, something even I can't forgive myself for. I don't think it warrants forgiveness from someone as kind-hearted as her. It shouldn't. I'm scared to hear her reply... so I'd rather keep my distance."

"But you still want to keep her close, right?"

Myungsoo honestly had no answer for that. He had already decided that he should keep things as it is if he didn't want any trouble. A tiny part in him wanted to be selfish and say yes, but he knew it was impossible.

He felt small, yet warm hands patting him on the back. "Have strength. As long as you think happy thoughts and be brave, things will turn out alright in the end. And then oppa'll be happy again, and forever and ever. Besides, you still have me. I won't run off to marry Woohyun-oppa just yet!"

Myungsoo couldn't help but smile at her endearing innocence, pulling her in for a warm hug. For someone so young, her words held some wisdom to them. Her word was so simple and he envied that, wishing that he could go back to a time where Math homework were the only problems he had. After making sure that the kid's seatbelt was correctly fastened, he revved up the engine before pulling the car out of the parking area and off to their next destination, which was most likely home.


"Wait a minute. Did you just say that Kim Sunggyu was part of 'Beat'?"


A/N: Sorry for the long wait! Let's just say Kim Dasom isn't a very good secret keeper, is she? Little duckie had already been mentioned in Chapter 14, and she'll be making appearances in the future, in attempts to woo our Nam Woohyun (potential love line over here, kidding!). Your thoughts or feelings on the childhood bestfriend bomb? Any theories as to the Continental Drift between the two, and Woohyun and co.? I'd be grateful for your two cents really and it helps keep the creative juices for the story plot flowing!

I hope you weren't too surprised! That had already been thought of in the initial planning stages (I hear Sunggyu x Seulbi shippers rejoicing already), and yes, that cake on that Valentines chapter was from Myungsoo, even though it was his birthday (to finally answer one reader's question). Also, here's to hoping I did justice to our Korean tour guide's explanation of the Gyeongbok Palace (yes, I've been there in the fall season two years back, and it was lovely!)

Also, as suggested by one of my awesome readers (talking to you koinkidoink), any ship name suggestions? I got nothing as of the moment, really, so I'll leave it up to all of you friends!