[Part 2/2]

Kitty Crush

"Aaand... done." Baekhyun tops off both bowls of soup with a sprig of mint. So far, so good. He managed to follow the recipes on the Internet pretty well, he thinks, and they actually taste good for once. He's so proud of himself. 

 

And as if on time, the phone goes off in his pocket. Admiring his dinner made for two, he steps out into the hall just outside his apartment to answer it. "Hi ." 

 

"It's always so refreshing talking to you. How's my cat?" Jongdae inquires. 

 

"How else would he be? He's not dead." 

 

"Baek--" 

 

"He's good, really! Luhan's in the living room playing with him." 

 

"Luhan? Chanyeol hasn't... tried to kill him?" Jongdae's tone is slightly uncertain. 

 

"No, of course not Jongdae; can't you trust me for once? I thought you said Chanyeol didn't like people but he's doing fine. And anyway we have to talk about what time you're gonna pick him up. And also--" 

 

* * *

Luhan crosses his legs tightly and rocks back and forth from his position on the couch. 

 

He's been keeping an eye on Chanyeol for the past two hours while watching a new drama that Baekhyun has recorded on the DVR. And dramas are no fun without food and beverages. Two hours of continuously drinking bottles upon bottles of soda to wash down dry potato chips can have an unpleasant effect on the bladder. 

 

In other words, he has to pee. Badly. 

 

But Baekhyun is counting on him to make sure Chanyeol doesn't try to run away or knock down another vase because apparently the last one the orange cat demolished was Kris'. Luhan wants Baekhyun to know that as the elder, he can be relied on, unlike all those other times. But that's another story. 

 

Luhan thinks he has his bladder under control, that is until a commercial pops on for some spa resort in Jeju. The hot sun, the beach, the sea, the waterfall, the happy vacationers drinking out of coconuts and he really doesn't think he can take it anymore. "Stay here, Channie!" He manages to whisper in a constrained voice to the cat that pays him no mind before he sprints into the bathroom like a marathon runner. 

 

Only a few seconds afterall. Chanyeol can't mess anything up in thirty seconds. 

 

* * * 

"--I hope you're paying me for this because I sure as hell am not doing this for free." 

 

"This was supposed to be an opportunity for you to be friendly." 

 

"I am friendly! So how much are you paying?" 

 

"None." Jongdae answers flatly. "Jongin offered to watch Kyungsoo for free. Why can't you be more like him?" 

 

"Did Kyungsoo defecate in Jongin's shoes? I don't think so." And finishes up before Jongdae can interrupt. "Well then, dear friend, I'll see you in a few hours. Kris and I are going to eat dinner together later, and you can pick up Chanyeol after. I'll let you know when so you don't interrupt."

 

He cuts the line, and skips back into the apartment to set the table. First thing he notices: Luhan is no where to be seen. Second thing he notices: neither is Chanyeol. He picks up the remote and turns off the TV. "Luhan?" He calls. 

 

The reply comes in the form of a toilet flushing. A sweaty Luhan emerges moments later. He stops when he sees the other man staring. When the older doesn't say anything, Baekhyun sighs. "Where's the cat?" 

 

Luhan grins. "The couch." 

 

"He's not there." 

 

"Huh?" 

 

Baekhyun leads the way back out to the living room. Luhan looks surprised and points out to a dent in the cusion. "He was sitting right there. I was only gone a few seconds!" 

 

"He can't have gone--" Baekhyun is interrupted, quite violently actually, with the sound of something crashing in the kitchen. He freezes. "Oh no," he whispers. Luhan's eyes widen, and this time he's the one that runs to where the crash was heard not exactly awaiting the sight he's sure to see. 

 

And what a sight it was. 

 

Chanyeol's paw prints are all over the dishes Baekhyun had so meticulously cooked; his soup is all over the floor now, just stains of red tomato dripping over the counter. Kimchi is splattered on the floor. When they say they caught the thief red-handed, they must mean it literally, because Chanyeol is all red and for some reason smells like salsa. 

 

There is a moment of silence, broken by Baekhyun's exasperated wail. He flops to the ground, head in his hands, not minding the puddle of sauce on the floor which is now staining his jeans. He screams into his arm, and Luhan is no help at all. "Baekhyun, look! He didn't break the bottle of wine!" 

 

Baekhyun looks up, face red in frustration and desperation. "So? He might as well broken that too. ing cat! You ruin everything don't you?" he barks at Chanyeol, who flinches away. "This is horrible." 

 

Luhan puffs out air and pulls Baekhyun up by the arm. "No use groaning about it. Maybe that was a sign from up above saying your cooking . We'll make something else! I'll help this time." 

 

"You make coffee for a living Luhan. You can't cook a full three course meal." 

 

"Says who? Remember I made that doggy cusine for Sehun?" 

 

"You don't even like coffee. You just show up to hit on Minseok." 

 

Luhan's cheeks redden. "So... about the food."

 

"There's no use! Maybe... maybe Kris is just too good to be true." 

 

Luhan looks at Baekhyun with a determined look in his eye. "Not if I have anything to do with it." He grabs the strawberry patterned apron off the counter and puts it on. "Keep an eye on Chanyeol. I'll take care of this." 

 

* * * 

Baekhyun nervously taps his foot up and down on the hard wood floor. There is a racket going on in the kitchen, thanks to his hyung Luhan. It is almost time for Kris to come home, and Baekhyun has everything else finished, that is, except for the food that Luhan is so set on completing by himself. Chanyeol is rolled up into a little ball ten feet away from him. Baekhyun feels something in his heart, guilt? but he doesn't say anything because that cat is not worth the trouble. 

                                                                                                                            

It takes maybe a half hour more, and just when he is starting to worry Luhan comes into the living room to call him with a face lit up with excitement. He ushers Baekhyun into the kitchen and promptly shoves a spoon full of whatever the heck that was and waits to see the smaller's reaction. 

 

Baekhyun's eyes widen, because it tastes good. It's good! Luhan made dinner that tasted not horrible. 

 

A quick nod of the head is his way of signaling approval. Luhan gives a shout of joy and immediately passes trays and plates to the younger. Within minutes, the table is set (and a slice of cake has mysteriously disappeared. I wonder how that happened?) 

 

There is just enough time for Baekhyun to throw his arms around Luhan's neck in gratitude, when there is a small click when the key slides into the door knob, signaling Kris’ return from work. How had the time gone by so fast? He pushes Luhan, with a moping Chanyeol in his arms, into his own bedroom. “Just give me and Kris an hour,” He whispers, Luhan giving him a thumbs up, and carefully shuts the door. 

 

He jogs back into the dining room to find an astonished Kris staring at the entrees of food and platters and bowls sitting temptingly on the table. “I hope you’re sharing this,” he says with a smile, tugging off his tie. 

 

And for the first time today, Baekhyun is relieved. “Definitely.” 

 

* * *

“—I absolutely detest cats, that’s for sure--“ Baekhyun expresses, waving his fork to show his point. He’s cut off by the sound of a shrill ring tone in the middle of dinner. Kris jumps.

 

“Sorry, that’s me. I have to take this Baekhyun, I’ll be back in two minutes,” He says, shoveling one last meatball into his mouth before hurrying out to the balcony to answer the call. Baekhyun sighs, not out of annoyance but of happiness because dinner with Kris is just as amazing as he wanted it to be.

 

He’s nibbling quietly on a piece of lettuce when suddenly there comes a thud from the other room. Luhan! he internally screams. He’d forgotten them completely. He’d been too busy staring at Kris’ perfect face.

 

He jumps from his seat, but before he can go much farther Luhan emerges from the room. As he comes closer, Baekhyun notices why he's walking so stiffly. Bright red scratches cover his arms, and a small one right below his left eye. A tear leaks out of the corner of Luhan's eye as he opens his mouth to elaborate. He chokes out, "Chanyeol... Chanyeol." 

 

Baekhyun gapes. "The cat did this?" 

 

There is only a nod from Luhan's part. Right on time, an unscathed, unharmed Chanyeol skitters his way around Baekhyun's leg looking positively happy. He stares. 

 

"Wha... how...?" He stutters, and his heart beats even faster when he hears Kris finish up his phone call out on the balcony. He gasps, "Hurry! Get out! He's coming!" and pushes the both of them out the front door this time and out of the apartment.

 

"Wait!" Luhan calls, jamming his foot into the crevice between the door and the wall.

 

"Not now! Take Chanyeol for a walk or something!"

 

"Did you not see the bleeding scratces? The cat hates me!"

 

"Just go! I'll make it up to you," Baekhyun hisses, successfully closing the door. ("At least give me bandages!" Luhan shouts through the keyhole.) There is no time for Baekhyun to sympathize, but he's not completely heartless. He really does feel bad. His heart swells knowing that his hyung would put up with him. 

 

He exhales, and slides back into his seat by the dinner table just as Kris walks back in. Kris says, "Sorry about that." 

 

"No problem." Pause. Then, "Hey, how do you feel about cats?" He can't help himself. 

 

Kris' brow furrows. "Cats?" 

 

"Well, considering--" He's cut off again by a ringing cellphone. "You better take that." 

 

Kris shakes his head. "It's not mine." 

 

Baekhyun feels really stupid as he pulls out his own phone and presses answer. "Hello, I'm busy right now so if you could call back--" 

 

"Baekhyun!" He hears Luhan's scream. "Chanyeol ran away!" 

 

His heart drops. "What?" He whispers. 

 

"He just growled at me and bolted! You need to come out to the front of the building, bring your car!" 

 

Baekhyun holds one hand over the mouthpiece, and exuses himself from the table. Kris doesn't really seem to notice him get up. Once he's away from hearing reach, he yells, "How could you let him go?! RUN! Chase after him! You two were only gone a few minutes!" 

 

"I'm trying! He's too fast! Hurry up, he just ran past the intersection." 

 

Baekhyun mutters a quick, "On my way," and sprints back into the dining room, where he's slightly shocked to see Kris standing up with his arms folded. "Uh." 

 

"It's the cat, isn't it?" 

 

"How-- whaaat? There's no cat!" 

 

"Don't lie to me Baekhyun. Did you think you could keep an animal in the house for three days without me noticing? You could've told me you know." 

 

"I didn't think you'd be someone who liked cats." Baekhyun's face turns a cherry shade of red. 

 

"So you tried to smuggle one past me? I love cats. My boyfriend has two." 

 

Baekhyun's eyes widen. "Boyfriend?" Since when did Kris have a boyfriend?

 

Kris nods like it's been obvious all along. "We adopted Xiumin and Yixing a few months ago. Tao still lives with his other roommate for now. We're looking for an apartment to share." 

 

Baekhyun just wants to laugh. What? He'd gone through all of this effort for nothing. Absolutely nothing. Kris has a boyfriend. "I have to--" 

 

"--Go? The cat ran away huh?" And seeing the astonished look on his face, he adds "I kinda listened into your phone conversation. Go." 

 

"You're not mad?" 

 

"Why would I be? Go, the cat is waiting for you." 

 

"Thank you Kris," Baekhyun whispers, and in a flash is out the door. He has a cat to chase. 

 

* * *

The time just might be 11:30 PM right now, and Luhan is no help. 

 

Baekhyun is thankful Jongdae's flight is delayed for another few hours. In the meantime, they've gotten no closer to finding Chanyeol. "He went that way." Luhan says, and points. 

 

"We went that way already!" 

 

"Try again. I think he might be here." Baekhyun, now frustrated and extremely tired, turns the steering wheel onto the street. They're in a different neighborhood now, and if Baekhyun didn't know Chanyeol he wouldn't have expected him to go this far. But knowing the cat, he knows that Chanyeol's size has nothing to do with how fast he can run. 

 

The houses on this street are nicely built, spacious and pretty looking. All the lights in the houses are turned off, but as Baekhyun slows drives the car forward, there is one house in which all of the lights are . The front door is open, and a man can be seen through it. A man... 

 

...holding a cat. 

 

"HE'S THERE!" Baekhyun screams. "Hurry up, Luhan!" And without a second more, he is out and already running towards the house. The man seems to notice Baekhyun shouting and running frantically towards him, and meets him out on the porch. 

 

And in his arms is Chanyeol. 

 

Tears stream out of Baekhyun's eyes in happiness. (But if anyone asked, he'd say it was because he was happy Jongdae wouldn't murder him in his sleep. But he's actually happy because no matter how much he'd deny it, he'd missed the damn cat.) He gently takes Chanyeol from the man's arms. He's too busy cooing and whispering don't ever do that again Chanyeol and I swear I should have just let you run away to notice the little smile on the other man's face. 

 

"Is he yours?" 

 

Baekhyun finally looks up and is startled to see smooth caramel contours and warm dark chocolate eyes. And a perfect smile to match. "Is your name Baekhyun by chance?" 

 

"Yeah... I mean. Yes. Yes. How did you...?" he questions. 

 

"I'm Jongin. Jongdae tells me about you and your antics sometimes," Jongin says with a grin. "Your life must be pretty interesting." 

 

Baekhyun blows his bangs out of his face. "Please. Just this cat makes it difficult," he replies, wiggling Chanyeol in his arms. He thinks that he and the cat are on good terms once again. (But Channie still needs to apologize for the abuse to Luhan's body.) Because Chanyeol now looks absolutely radiant and Baekhyun can't keep the sloppy grin off his face either. 

 

"It's not his fault. He probably missed Kyungsoo." Right on time comes a softer mewl. From behind Jongin's leg emerges a small black kitten with white paws. "Funny, though isn't it? He came all this way to find my house all so he could see his best friend. Cats are amazing." 

 

"They are." Baekhyun says, "They are." And he means it. 

 

He presses a kiss into the soft fur on Chanyeol's head. It's been a rough three days, he can't deny, but now that Chanyeol fits perfectly in his arms, that's all that matters. That's all that's ever mattered anyway. 

 

(He wouldn't admit this either but he's taken quite a liking to a certain tabby cat with orange fur.) 

 

... 

 

(And Jongin is really hot.)

 

 

fin

 

yessss praise the lord i finally finished. i know i at this whole writing thing, but big thank you to those who put up with my horrible writing skills until the end! and one last thing: i'm not completely decided but i think there may be a super short   'a day in the life of luhan'  sidestory too right after this chapter. it'll probably just be about luhan and his bulldog sehun or something like that, if i decide to write it. I'll probably just get lazy anyway but take it as a token of my gratitude for reading, subscribing, upvoting, and commenting! 

thank you to all! <3

xoxo, crimsonheart. but you can call me whatever you want. 

 

time for me to go write angst tho seriously fluff is killing me