a little faith.

perception.

When reaching their destination, he grabbed the handle in order to pull it open for the woman. His free hand was grazing on the small of her back informing her to go inside first. His mother did inform him to treat a woman with kindness and respect.

“May I ask what you need to pick up?” Kris asked, walking right besides her the entire time to watch her path just in case. Hands shoved warmly into the pockets of his pants as he looked through the aisles curiously with his brows furrowed in the mere center.

Chorong was quiet, trying to remember what she needed to pick up for her brother. Her free hand was lifted up in order to let her fingers touch the items gently. Tracing and trying to sketch it inside of her mind. Most of the time she had an idea of what she was holding but if someone was around; she had to check twice before purchasing. The first time, she brought home a bag of spicy chips and Chanyeol nearly choked out of surprise of the burning flavors inside of his throat. And the lack of water besides his lunch too.

“I just need a couple of snacks for my younger brother. Savoury but nothing too spice and he likes gummy candy as well.”

When she explained, Kris kept his gaze around picking up the bag of gummy worms that were securely inside. He turns his head to make sure that the other woman was doing okay, the tiny taps making contact with the ground were audible and it was a dead giveaway to where she might be when he couldn’t exactly see her with a blink of an eye. “I got it, here.” Walking back to her, he took notice of the bag of chips that she managed to hold in her hand. Securely clutching it out of a wild guess but it was right. It takes a lot of chances to make sure she got the correct one.

“Thank you again, Kris. I appreciate it.” Chorong said. Placing the bag of chips down as he does the same with the sugary treat. She picks up her wallet inside of her clutch bag that rests on her hip, picking up a few paper bills as she lifts it up for the woman behind the counter to count and return the change. 

“Yeah, you’re welcome.” Kris doesn’t treat her any differently like other women he knows. She has a condition but he doesn’t exactly think it’s a disadvantage. At first, first impression wise, the older male would have thought she needed more help to the point where she would have to plead for it. She doesn’t, instead she does it on her own then asking him after if it was the right item she picked up. Smart move.

Coins colored in bronze and silver instantly drops onto her dainty palm, tucking it back inside of her wallet and she takes her time to fix her stuff before picking up the plastic bag containing her new bought items. Holding it with her free hand as she turns her head to either direction to speak to Kris. “Ready to go?”

“Of course.” He nods his head in response, leading the young woman to the front door to where they stepped into at first. Repeating his movements that he did half an hour ago as they stepped onto the pavement this time around. The gentle breeze of the wind greets them ‘hello’ during this daytime. 

And here they are, walking right besides each other again.

Chorong doesn’t have many friends. About two including her brother and parents. She never felt a reason to come too close to people if they were going to constantly talk about how much of a hassle it was for them to watch over her because of how she gradually lost her vision. Certainly, she doesn’t need to have a friend out of pity but company even just for one day would be appreciated. It’s been so long since she walked besides someone like this, someone who wasn’t Chanyeol. She was used to murmuring her tiny list of groceries inside of her mind that makes their way out of her lips and the sound that roams around her atmosphere.

“May I ask what you do for a living?”

Silently choking a bit at the question that snaps the older male out of his daze. He chuckles with his hand rubbing against his nape sheepishly, blunt nails sinking against the flesh out of a nervous habit. “I… I’m a painter.”

Kris was close to offering the other woman if she was interested in taking a quick glance at his paintings as a kind gesture. Then he needed to remind himself that she couldn’t exactly see it, which was a pity because he normally likes hearing another’s opinion on his creations. He’s no Picasso, he isn’t the most professional painter around either but he does it out of enjoyment and to let his creations seep through vibrant to deep shades of colors of spring to winter.

“That’s nice.” She complimented. Chorong was always one to support one’s passions. Her mother’s interests in cooking or her father’s adoration for working in business, Chanyeol’s love for music too. She supports it all. “May we sit somewhere for a couple of minutes, I need a moment to catch my breath.”

“Oh, yeah. Let me check.” Pausing, he turns his head from side to side. Taking a step forward to the left where he spots a nearby bench over in the corner where the bus stop was located at. “Come on, Chorong.” He said, letting his voice rise in order for her to hear clearly and she starts following along right behind then besides him. Sitting down first, Kris lifts a hand up in order for her to take just in case as she taps her cane against the feet of the bench before placing herself right besides the male comfortably. Her bag resting on her lap.

“Kris.” Chorong calls out hesitantly, he hums in response as his way of giving an answer. “May I ask how you look like?”

His fingers grazed along his features as if he needed to remind himself of his own appearance. There’s a brief chuckle that escapes before resting his fingers to pinch his own chin. “I’m tall. Dark brown to black hair, my hair tends to fall over my eyes but I push it back and way.” He stops himself from rambling, clearing his throat behind a loose fist and he extends a hand out in order to reach for hers gently. Not wanting to apply too much pressure on her palm.

Chorong doesn’t have a clear image of him just yet, if anything it just reminds her of her own brother due to how he explained his height and the last color she saw on Chanyeol was his original, natural shade too. Her nose scrunches up but nonetheless, she remains calm; feeling her fingers press against the warmth of another’s skin. Smiling but it softens up, turning to the direction where Kris was sitting at and she cups his cheek with grace. Her index finger outlines the shape of his thin nose until she taps the very tip of it. Thumb outline the plump pair of lips as he lets his eyes close for her. She takes her time to memorize the outline of his visage along with the corners of it in order to keep in mind. Chorong doesn’t need an exact photo or her vision to be exact. Using every sense she has left to concentrate in trying to see him through the pitch black darkness that she obtain and carried on for years.

“You’re handsome.”

“Well, you don’t know that for sure. I could be considered ugly without you knowing.” Kris states in a playful manner than display self-conscious. Which he never felt and he didn’t have a reason to bring himself down as well.

She stayed quiet, head shaking from one side to another with a small pout etched on the lips. “No, I do.” Thinking of the correct phrases and reasons to explain why she said what she did. “You see, the world is made out of beauty that most people can’t see. So, by using your other senses. There’s much more meaning to it.”

Kris stares at her longer than he intended, he stares in awe, stares at her instead of focusing on what’s around the both of them. And there he was, finding another reason to not lose faith in humanity like he was doing. Finding it a tug and push situation most of the time, such a struggle it was. “Well, you’re beautiful.”

Chorong felt the warmth on her cheeks, she hears the pace of her heart increasing, her fingers still touch his skin almost hesitantly; afraid to come too close but there’s one thing she could never sense. Seeing. “Thank you.” Responding back calmly. She wonders if this certain dark brunette was smiling, feeling flattery from what she said but there’s one thing she knows for sure. He was not a bad guy after all. The woman didn’t assume, she just felt timid to approach people since they were quite hostile or cold towards her the past ten years or so.

✄  -  -  -

After exchanging a conversation the past two hours, she needed to ask him so suddenly what the time and she immediately rushed off to the pathway of her house. With his assistance of course since he did promise her that he’d walk her back. Chorong reaches into the pocket of her pants, fishing out her small ring of keys and key chains with that hand raised almost hitting Kris in the chest during the process but he stood back before it occurred. “Thank you, Kris. My parents would be thankful too if they were home during this time.”

“Oh, you’re welcome. I did tell you I’d bring you home anyways.” He said, shrugging as he fixes his gaze to her hand. Watching her patient movement, memorizing the outline of the key before it settles in the slot and he finds it amazing that she could do that when he ends up struggling for an extra five minutes in trying to figure out which key was which.

When the door was opened, she takes a step forward as she turns momentarily to face her new found friend with a small smile. Bowing her head out of gratitude and when she straightens her posture, these words, she didn’t believe them right away.

“I was wondering if you would like to visit my studio when you’re free. It’d be nice to have your company when I’m painting.”

They both know she wouldn’t have a chance in the world to see the portrait or painting that Kris would make on the canvas or empty board. He knows that, it’s common sense. He couldn’t help but asking for that honest reason after all, besides, he wanted to see her again.

“This Saturday in the early afternoon then?”

His head dips down in order to cover the coy smile growing, nodding in agreement before sighing happily among himself. “I’d love that, I’ll be here before lunch. See you soon, okay?”

“Okay.” Chorong replies, giving the older male a small wave before closing the door behind her petite frame. Locking it securely by giving the knob a proper twist to the opposite direction only to hear someone’s throat being cleared that startles her the slightest bit. Unsure of who was home. Turning on the heel of her feet, standing in front of someone with her lower lip captured between the top row of her teeth nervously.

Chanyeol walks over to her direction, lightly grasping a hold of the bag containing the items she offered to buy this morning with a silent thank you emitting out, a hushed whisper that breaks the tension in the wind. “Who was that?”

“A friend, his name’s Kris.”

Fingers curled around the straps of the plastic bag more tightly, rubbing his temples out of frustration but he keeps quiet because Chanyeol doesn’t want her to hear it or grow suspicious. “He treated you well, right? When you were walking, he didn’t do anything like grab your ?”

“Yah!” Giving her brother a small slap on the arm with the cherry shade on her cheeks. Chorong rolls her eyes to one side, arms folding to her chest rather childishly. “No, he’s not like that. He’s quite a gentleman.”

“You think everyone has a good side to them though.”

He points it out straight forwardly, walking down the hallway in order to unpack and put everything in place. Chorong stands there, arms dropped to the side and she slowly walks the same pathway seconds afterwards. There’s a small sigh of disappointment that falls out of her lips when Chanyeol points out something she doesn’t enjoy hearing. “Because it’s true.”

“Yeah? Then why didn’t people treat you kindly during the years instead? You still think they’re good people?” He snaps, hands resting on the counter as he breathes through his nose. Feeling the anger boiling up in his stomach because his quite short temper. He wouldn’t do anything to hurt Chorong, not physically but he says things without thinking twice about.

She forgives him for that. Because he forgave her for all the trouble she puts him through on accident.

“Good people with bad intentions, actions that were done without thinking.” She responds back, fingers clutched onto the edge of the cane to hold it tightly. Trying not to break down in front of her younger brother but their opinions and their viewpoints were completely different hence is why it’s quite difficult to communicate with one another. “He’s a good guy whether you think so or not.” Adding on, she turns her body around to usher inside of her room to take a moment to catch her breath.

Chanyeol’s lips parted in protest, bottom lip quivering in guilt as he scratches the top of his head lightly. Some things were forgiven but to him, it wasn’t forgotten. It won’t ever be.

✄  -  -  -

Ah yes, thank you guys for commenting. It means the world to hear feedback or having you guys read it after I'm done with a chapter. I'm planning on updating every other day or three days because muse and ideas are strong here. But it's not even halfway done. chapters here are shorter compared to the usual 4/5k. anyways, hopefully this chapter wasn't too dull. it gives a deeper detail of kris, chorong's mindset and the relationship she has with chanyeol.